Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

Burning Sands: Africa '42

Depends how much they defer from the british troops, besides the arm patches or other minor things like that.

Otherwise, not in the first release. I am working on this alone and I have more than enough work as it is.

Well, after a long time I present a WIP:

Quote[/b] ]The Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251 (SdKfz 251) half-track was an armored fighting vehicle built by Germany during World War II. They were produced throughout the war.

The first two models were produced in small numbers. The C variant had a larger production run, but was a quite complex vehicle to build, involving many angled plates that gave reasonable protection from small arms fire. The D version utilized a much simpler design, and can be easily recognised by its single piece sloping rear (with flat doors).

The standard personnel carrier version was equipped with a 7.92 mm MG34 or MG42 machine gun mounted at the front of the open compartment, above and behind the driver. A second machine gun was usually mounted

at the rear on an anti-aircraft mount.

sdkfz251mv2.jpg

I'd like to thank the I44 team for allowing us to use their Mg34.

Lol, Afirca? tounge2.gif (PSD files, get it right once, then never touch it again whistle.gif )

Looks nice, would you be interested in a 250 as well?

Good eye! Fixed it now, heh.

A 250? Sure.

This mod + NIM weather + Kronzky's patrol script + Arty fire + ECP-like battlefield cries = WIN.

LOVE the models!

Is that german soldier gonna be in ArmA??? crazy_o.gif

if yes, looking über nice! wink_o.gif

if no, its a bloody shame sad_o.gif

but still, I cant wait for the first release! good luck!

The german soldier will be in ArmA, but not with that face. We'll be using the ArmA soldier head model to enable the people who use custom face textures to continue using them without having to modify them or remove them.

I'm sorry if I hijack your thread, but I think a World War 2 mod of the Battle of Crete would be awesome.

Reasons:

- It takes place on an island (~8000+ Km^2)

- Same time period (1941)

- Conflict involving the United Kingdom, Greece, Australia, New Zealand, Nazi Germany, and Italy. (a lot of variety there)

- Could be done in stages with small sections of the island outlined. The battle had natural stages anyway.

- New, fresh material.

- natural foliage suits the engine.

I'm just throwing out my thoughts and ideas.

The german soldier will be in ArmA, but not with that face. We'll be using the ArmA soldier head model to enable the people who use custom face textures to continue using them without having to modify them or remove them.

He's not bad, but you might want to consider revising the

proportions of some of his accoutrements. His respirator

case, rations bag and field bottle look a bit too small.

Is he based on a wartime photo? The long puttees were

very unusual on DAK personnel. More typical for DAK were

high canvas and leather tropical boots like this reenactor

is wearing, or similar short ankle boots (imagine the reenactor's

long boots cut off at ankle height). I think I may have more

colour illustrations of Afrika Korps personnel if  you want me

to dig them out for you.

Is his Italian SMG going to be included as one of the mod's

weapons?

@Robgunnatkin: I think some people are already planning to do that, but I'm not sure.

@Col. Faulkner: It is afterall still a wip, so we can change it. I'd love to get more personnel photos of both AK troops and british troops, I've been having a hard time getting decent ones.

And no, the italian SMG won't be featured in the mod.

Good luck guys!!

Waiting your progress tounge2.gif !!

Thanks for all!! The community needs 2WW MODS!! wink_o.gifnotworthy.gif

is there a website existing for this very promising project?

Short answer: nope.

So, at last an update. And this is another weapon for the germans, the MG 34. this model was taken from I44 and improved a bit for ArmA. Once again, thanks to the I44 team for allowing us to use their stuff:

Quote[/b] ]The MG 34 was used as the primary infantry machine gun during the 1930s, and remained as the primary tank and aircraft defensive weapon. It was intended that it would be replaced in infantry service by the related MG42, but there were never enough of the new design to go around, and MG 34s soldiered on in all roles until the end of World War II. It was intended that it would replace the MG-13 and other older machine guns, but these ended up still being used in WWII as demand was never met.

mg34bi3.jpg

Looks really good! biggrin_o.gif

Nice and lethal looking. thumbs-up.gif

Abs

Nice model.

Are you going to give it selective fire modes or just the full (it hqs e duql trigger with singele fire and full fire mode)?

Are you also going to make the static version with periscope vieuw and adaptable heigt or is this to much to ask? whistle.giftounge2.gif

Impressive and very interesting developments here. I'll keep a close eye on this one as the WWII desert war is certainly one of the more interesting conflicts to cover.

I hope you will include some of the more interesting camouflage schemes used by the britsh and other allies that included blue and grey colours painted on the tanks. If you work with correct layers during the making of the textures it shouldn't be very difficult to add a camouflage scheme to the basic colour layer to replace the overall desert-yellow layer.

M3 Stuart tank with the sideplates over the tracks, external fueldrums located on topof the main body on either side of the tank and including the honey angular welded turret would be perfect.

See this page for example; http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/676_1_23604.html (also includes one of the many more interesting camo-schemes I was talking about)

@Abs, Salvatore_Lee: Thanks guys!

@Zarele: The selected fire modes are going to be implemented, hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle, but rather a plus. The static version? Hmm, maybe, that's something I haven't looked up and thought about, but I'll see, most likely it'll get implemented into R1.

@Cpt. FrostBite: Well, the camo is yet to be decided, but it'll be like it was, more or less. There's still lots to come.

Thought I'd give you a short update:

The Thompson M1928 with a 20 round box mag. No drum mags though, at least not for now. What my info tells me is that they weren't that awfully good.

thompson1bl8.jpg

Also, in case anybody wonders I also update the first post with each update, so you don't have to search through the topic to see the newest renders.

As always, I'm still looking for willing helpers, so if you got what it takes then don't be shy to step ahead.