Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

Burning Sands: Africa '42

"Red Devils" were (and are, but I don't know if they still use that name) paratroopers, named after the color of their berets.

"Red Devils" were (and are, but I don't know if they still use that name) paratroopers, named after the color of their berets.

Yes, in N. Africa specifcally 1st Para  Bde, detached from 1st

Airborne Div. They made a few raids at the end of 1942 (most

notably the parachute assault on the airfield at Bone on the

N African coast. This operation was done by 3rd Para Bn, less

A Coy who couldn't be fitted into the aircraft available), but

from February 1943 until the end of the Tunisian campaign

they fought as line infantry. Before 1944, some more jumps

were made into Sicily and S. France.

Strictly all of this falls outside the "Africa 1942" time frame,

though. I think Mehman will have his work cut out for him

even sticking to that.

There is some argument whether  "Red Devils' comes from the

maroon beret or from the red dust caking their smocks and

the long, dangling "jump flap" tails on their 1st Pattern

Denison smocks (the "jump flaps" on 1st pattern Denisons had

no fasteners to keep them in place when not in use, and

dangled like a tail at the back).

The "Red Devils" name was adopted in the mid-1960s by the

Parachute Regiment's (and the Army's) free-fall parachute

display team.

For jumping into nowhere and blowing stuff up you're thinking

of SAS, although they gave up parachuting into the desert

very quickly after a number of failed attempts.

i hope the Red eagles are represented by that i mean the only infantry division that was in north africa during the outbreak of the war, the 4th Indian division

Chances are very slim that that will happen.

Quote[/b] ]Hey there,

If you post some shots of this in O2 it would be great, would really like to get a news release for this done over at ArmedAssault.info.

Sorry, nothing for now. sad_o.gif I'll try to get some soon, but I'd rather do that when it's nearer to the finish.

Quote[/b] ]can I get closer look to the helmet, few pics of it and that ubiversal carrier looks just awes-o-me!

will you make some red-devils too?

would love to paradrop nto middle of nothing and find german ammo/fuel dumb and blow fuck outta it!

and I'll also would like to know how is the sdkfz 251 Halftruck doing? its ma favourite!

No more renders for now.

Red devils. No. I'm much more inclined to do the LRDGs than Paras or the SAS. The LRDGs are very high on my to-do-after-basic-stuff list. But my basic list is pretty full so nener.gif .

The SdkFz 251 is doing fine, although it broke up with it's life long partner Half-track recently, but is now going out with the Half-truck.

Ah well, guess I'll have to wait l huh.giftounge2.gif

looking forward to seeing more screens in the near future! smile_o.gif

Well mate, this looks damn good! I'll be harrassing you with some unit making questions from now on end. biggrin_o.gif Looking damn good, actually might be the best looking and most authentic mod so far for ArmA!

Hey there,

If you post some shots of this in O2 it would be great, would really like to get a news release for this done over at ArmedAssault.info.

Really nice looking work, can't wait to see more and for the eventual release!  smile_o.gif

Regards,

ToadBall

aka: JynX

Armedassault.info Site Team & News poster

Well, ok, I lied, I just got it all to work in O2 and I thought about showing it off. Weee! WEEE!

But now I'm going through the selection hell.

test64qd5.jpg

test65em5.jpg

Yeah...realy nice model. Good job xmas_o.gif

does the enfield and soldier allready work ingame? or are they just models in this point? would be SO COOL if we could get a shot from south sahrani deserts, where is few UK soldiers with their guns inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Well, ok, I lied, I just got it all to work in O2 and I thought about showing it off. Weee! WEEE!

Congrats m8! The unit model is looking sharp man! Nice work notworthy.gif

MehMan, I want to show here my respect for your work and add my support to your project.

This soldier model you demonstrated was, to me, BIS-grade modelling.

Keep up the good work. And have a happy Christmas & New Year's!

MehMan, I want to show here my respect for your work and add my support to your project.

This soldier model you demonstrated was, to me, BIS-grade modelling.

Keep up the good work. And have a happy Christmas & New Year's!

I agree!

Keep up the good work Burning sands and have a good Christmas! xmas_o.gif

Well, I nearly lost my nerves, worked furiously, but I finally got the infantry model roughly ingame. Roughly. Very. Thus the floating gun.

Merry christmas everybody!

test66jb0.jpg

test67np4.jpg

@SPhoenix: Thanks, but I'm not quite there yet.

ho ho ho! merry X mas to mehman! xmas_o.gif

dont wanna put ur morale down, great that ya got em' ingame mate, but those hands are way too big, as you might seen for yourself! biggrin_o.gifxmas_o.gif

Hmm, good point, didn't notice it on a quick glance. But that's going to be fixed ofcourse. Once I find the problem. The Thing strikes again. But thanks for the notice anway, I don't mind the crit at all. This is mainly the result of me rushing to get it complete.

Shitzu! That looks great m8! notworthy.gifwow_o.gif

Yeap those hands somewhat do look slightly to big. Well the fingers do actually. Not sure about the entire hand. Oh and the boots might need some sharper textures, they kinda blurry. But i think you know that wink_o.gif

amazing )) frankly speaking i was a bit pessimistic, but you did it ! great work, though i guess there's a lot to be fixed (bugs are always seen in motion).

Quote[/b] ]but those hands are way too big

How you made them ? I mean the easiest solution would be just copy hands from the standart model, but i'm not sure if you can get an example with uncovered hands. There're synide's mlod's but i can't remember if weights are ok there ((

From the picture it looks like hands are scaled compared to standart ones - i saw similiar troubles. Try use standart hands or scale existing ones

Yes, there's lots to be fixed. Weights need to be redistibuted and so on, so that things don't poke around. I've fixed the hands now, was a problem with the memory placement of the verts.

The hands are from one of the synides MLODs, they include the weights which are the right ones luckly.

One of the things I've just ran into is the problem with the ironsights view, seems to be way off, but that comes later on. Now that I've got the main problem with selections out of my way. Now the main problem is getting the weights right and some more fiddling with the selections.

someone should make short movie about this biggrin_o.gif .

germans captured few british soldiers and did EVIL biological tests to them. now their hands are bigger thank normal and their minds have been washed with nazi-probaganda! Ho Ho HO! Me-Me-Me-Merry Christmas to everybody! xmas_o.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge2.gifthumbs-up.gif

Hey, Mehman, I just thought - maybe you can draw inspiration from the Hidden & Dangerous series, especially the 2nd one, which isn't too bad graphically and, I don't know if it's accurate, but it is detailed in general.

If you don't have it, I can scan the manual for details and get some screenshots for you.

And the campaigns are so amazing wink_o.gif

H&D 2 tries hard but it's still largely bollocks as regards

historical authenticity. I wouldn't recommend going there.

I think MehMan is doing Ok for historical refs, and the stuff

he is making is first class. I'm going to reinstall my ArmA just

for this.

Are the opposition (Jerries, Italians) proceeding as well?

welll I hope that he will add some americans also in future, it would awesome! and huge british bombers, or atleast bristol beaufighters biggrin_o.gif gotta love RAF! (Roual Air Force) inlove.gifbiggrin_o.gif

@SPhoenix: H&D2 is a lot of fun and I see a lot of things there that I just wish I could bring into ArmA(anims mostly, gah they look so awsome! If only!wink_o.gif

@Faulkner: Nothing new as of yet, I'm concentrating on the brits right now, so that if it goes tits up, I'll at least have something.

@kristian: no yanks yet, I'm not inclined to do them. I've chosen this theatre because of that. If I ever in the far future get the time and will to work on any yanks, it'll probably be in the italian theatre. I'm much more inclined to do some more british stuff(LRDGs! LRDGs! bah, I must get more time!wink_o.gif

Well now, some more screenshots, please ignore the wierd shadows on the helmets, I forgot to do something before taking these screenshots and didn't notice until it was too late.

Gents, I believe Jerry is waiting for us.

54131462yt0.jpg

CCCCCCCCCHHHHHHAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE!

10975485fs4.jpg