Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA 505 Europe Release + US Publisher

Hi all

I just noticed the official post by Marek

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=57750

So I thought it would be useful to make a thread to discuss it.

I think the best news, apart from being able to now buy an official UK ArmA edition, is the US publisher. I know lots of my US friends were freaked about this, its nice to see their prayers have been answered.

I think the Papal Swiss Guard must have put in a special order too:

Quote[/b] ]San Marino and The Vatican Cit
The idea of the Pope and ordering around teams of Priests Bishops and nuns in a LAN party is amusing biggrin_o.gif

Kind Regards Walker

I hope that minimap is gonna be visible when in a vehicle, that would be great.

I'm sure its gonna be a Key that you have to hit kinda like the compass, which is pretty great, sure beats having to look at that menu and loading and all this other crap lol

I'm just glad they improved the multiplayer browser screen, that thing was a disaster. I don't think ping should go by color, were not gaming noobs hehe, I prefer to see a number. I wonder if the people that bought the czech would be allowed to exchange it for an english version.

BTW, I didn;t see anything about any fix for the sprocket version that would keep Crashing to Desktop at random times. >_<

Well its not the WHOLE list of updates...

One thing which had me confused was that they said the 1.05 patch would be released for the other ArmA versions by the end of february...? so does that mean people who DONT have the 505 release wont be able to get the patch till the end of the month?

i cant wait to see what the "* and more" means smile_o.gif

i wounder how big is the next patch.. like 2G?! 3gb?

After reading the announcement I'm curious if the 505 release will even have the next patch. 1.05 might be for everyone to run.

If the 505 release is gold then the patch would have to already be ready for them. It's unclear if it is or not. I suspect they may ship with something like 1.03 or 1.04 that is an internal release and 1.05 will come up to get everyone in sync.

It's possible, I would guess that they either have the 505 already at 1.05 or that they will patch all at once shortly after the release (there's only 2 weeks between 17 february and the end of february smile_o.gif) ... If they already have it for the 505, then it might be that they are still busy on the copy protections of the other versions? And if they plan for the patch to come out way after 505, they might be adding some more fixes or features or finnish up etc smile_o.gif

Great news for the US, but I really don't like this statement.....

"We're going to start beta testing of ArmA editing tools soon. The process of releasing the entire necessary infrastructure to the community will be our ongoing effort in the upcoming months and we're working hard on it. Please be patient and understand that this is not something that will happen at one point but intstead we'll be releasing one piece of the tools after another."

I thought (if I remember correctly) that sometime before the first Czech and German release, possibly in some interview they said they were doing to try to release the tools WITH the game? Unless I'm crazy and totally got it mixed up. But now we're going to get small bits and pieces months later and other parts much later then that. With such a late start on modding, this inturn will hurt the community and potential sales, because IMHO that's were this game will shine and possibly reach it's potential. Right now as it stands, it will be hard for me to play this game until a mod like WGL comes along.

Yep, but as it seems those plans have changed, and they probably have their reasons for it.

The thing is, realism mods, scripts and many many ... many changes can already be done without those modtools..

Simply because we already have the tools to open and unbin/rebin the files, there are already workings on mods... textures, models... Scripting, config changes... sound replacements, etc. etc.

Such mods need simply time to be developped and I would not find a vital part of such mods that could not be developped right now, because the tools that are actually missing are:

* New Model Program

* New Island Creator

* am I forgetting something?

Both are IMHO not needed for a getting the game more into own taste.

I thought modders were really limited in what they could do right now. Thanks for the clarification.

If possible I would like to know where a linux-server is on the roadmap.

It's possible, I would guess that they either have the 505 already at 1.05 or that they will patch all at once shortly after the release (there's only 2 weeks between 17 february and the end of february smile_o.gif) ... If they already have it for the 505, then it might be that they are still busy on the copy protections of the other versions? And if they plan for the patch to come out way after 505, they might be adding some more fixes or features or finnish up etc smile_o.gif

Unless I misunderstood the press release, the game will ship at 1.05 and the rest of us will patch to it.

I'm glad to see we'll all get the exclusive content but I wonder if the rest of us will have to wait a few days - weeks after English release to even have the patch available for dl because of these statements:

- Armed Assault for the European/Worldwide release by 505 Games went Gold and 16th February is now confirmed as the release date.

- Before the end of February we plan to release a new patch 1.05 for all editions of ArmA that will ensure an internationally unified game environment.

I hope this doesn't mean we'll all be waiting 2 weeks to be on the same version of ArmA confused_o.gif

good news all round, and obviously good news for our north american friends.

I'd be suprised if the 505 release wasnt the latest version, it would be useless releasing it without the latest fixes wouldn't it... like sickboy suggested, its likely a time delay due to getting the relevant publishers to look at the patches etc... or something along those lines.

going to have to preorder mine soon i guess... still havnt seen anything r.e. a special edition thought?

I am not very glad about this news. I was really looking forward to the next patch only to read it will be delayed by about 2 weeks minimum.

No reasons are given so i don't understand why this is so? It's not the additional vehicles and weapons but the bug fixes i am interested in.

So again, wait and see ...  icon_rolleyes.gif

A release in Vatican city is simply - well, how to put it - ridiculous. huh.gif

Yeah, I reckon the 505 release will be 1.03 or 1.04.

If it was already at 1.05, I doubt if BIS would have a good reason to delay a probably already complete "Unifying" patch until 2 weeks after the 505 release!

Fingers crossed though.. I'll be re-buying a 505 release.. smile_o.gif

#C

Well I'm not really shaken if it would take ~ 2 extra weeks .. in the end we got what we deserve, and will probably receive even more in the future wink_o.gif

But anyway... It would be little dissapointing if we would really have to wait 2 weeks while the UK release would be at 1.05 smile_o.gif

Hey, maybe they just try to take it wide... so we don't get the "you were 2 days later than promised" stuff wink_o.gif

I sure hope 505 version is the latest 1.05

Remembering OFP, it was such a pain to install all the patches in additions to the addons. Any new install would take at least 1 hour before i could play. crazy_o.gif

Hopefully, they're just saying that the patch will be released before the end of February so that they have a little breathing room and not have to really stress about not making it out on a certain day (maybe we'll get lucky and see a patch release on the 17th or 18th).

Quote[/b] ]I am not very glad about this news. I was really looking forward to the next patch only to read it will be delayed by about 2 weeks minimum.

you're blowing it out of proportion... 'By the end of feb' means 2 weeks maximum, you're making something out of nothing.

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, I reckon the 505 release will be 1.03 or 1.04.

would seem strange that the european release has all the content of the 1.05 patch and not the actual code tho? Its meant as 'exclusive' content, so perhaps this two weeks is the exclusive stage. The press release says the cz and german patch, so obviously the UK/ROW release is 1.05

Quote[/b] ]But anyway... It would be little dissapointing if we would really have to wait 2 weeks while the UK release would be at 1.05

hardly compares to the 4 month wait we've had since the germans and czechs got their copy... fair's fair tounge2.gif - although of course, it could be released on ther 17th for all we know... this is all speculation

It worries me that there is no mention of a fix for all the people with the Sprocket version who crash so frequently.

And yet they intend to sell the English version over Sprocket.

I sure hope that means they quietly fixed the issue....and I'm tired of relying on hope.

Quote[/b] ]would seem strange that the european release has all the content of the 1.05 patch and not the actual code tho? Its meant as 'exclusive' content, so perhaps this two weeks is the exclusive stage. The press release says the cz and german patch, so obviously the UK/ROW release is 1.05

That's the other option, however, I'm not getting my hopes up. wink_o.gif

It depends on whether they are listing new content that will exist in 1.04 (the possible 505 release). Of course, 1.02 owners will have to go straight to 1.05 so it would all be new content to them! The differences between 1.04 and 1.05 'could' be negligible.

If 505 is a 1.05 release, I would like to hear why BIS are keeping the patch back until the end of the month?

Surely 505's 1.05 game would be ready and CD's would have been duplicated for a release in one week? Surely a patch would have been developed in parallel (and given to Morphicon et al) for release on the 16th???!

We probably wont hear much about it before then and none of us know, so we'll have to wait and see. wink_o.gif

Anyway...I've returned my German version and I'm just waiting for the 505 release.. 1.04 min' and no more language patching.. Ahhhhh. biggrin_o.gif

#C

It worries me that there is no mention of a fix for all the people with the Sprocket version who crash so frequently.

And yet they intend to sell the English version over Sprocket.

I sure hope that means they quietly fixed the issue....and I'm tired of relying on hope.

I think "Many stability improvements and fixes" says enough...

I guess we can expect a full changelog anytime soon or near/at release anyway smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]1.04 min' and no more language patching.. Ahhhhh.
haha thumbs-up.gifsmile_o.gif