Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

Any chances of fixing the database, so it actually can be imported correctly? As far as I know Ikonboard offers technical support (not for free, but at least the installation service seems pretty cheap considering it's only 40 US$ ) - if anyone knows the data structure well enough it should be them. Of course, if BIS doesn't consider this a priority, then it probably means also that they won't spend any money on it.

Personally I'd rather see this forum (or at least the database) fixed, instead of starting from scratch and having the old forums as an archive only. There's just too many treasures hidden in there (no, I'm NOT talking about the 'chicks with guns' thread) for it to gather dust!

smile_o.gif

Messing around with this fossile of a forum is quite pointless isnt it?

IMO yes, but the decision isn't mine. I'm just trying to provide an update on the situation.

Any chances of fixing the database, so it actually can be imported correctly? As far as I know Ikonboard offers technical support (not for free, but at least the installation service seems pretty cheap considering it's only 40 US$ ) - if anyone knows the data structure well enough it should be them. Of course, if BIS doesn't consider this a priority, then it probably means also that they won't spend any money on it.

Personally I'd rather see this forum (or at least the database) fixed, instead of starting from scratch and having the old forums as an archive only. There's just too many treasures hidden in there (no, I'm NOT talking about the 'chicks with guns' thread) for it to gather dust!

smile_o.gif

From what we understand many attempts to fix the database have been tried.

Any chances of fixing the database, so it actually can be imported correctly?

There were several attempts to fix it already as Rhodite said.

Obviously these attempts weren't successful.

Quote[/b] ]Personally I'd rather see this forum (or at least the database) fixed, instead of starting from scratch and having the old forums as an archive only. There's just too many treasures hidden in there (no, I'm NOT talking about the 'chicks with guns' thread) for it to gather dust!

If these forums gets frozen, and set to read only the content, including the 'chicks with guns' thread, won't get lost at all. smile_o.gif

They might gather dust but you can search or browse them at any time. If one needs to continue the discussion, he can start a new thread in the new forums. No problem, at least the lesser evil compared to keep these forums running.

I would prefer a completely new forum started from scratch. While importing the user database might be a good thing for existing users because they don't have to register again, also a lot of dead weight would be imported like all the 1000s of users with 0 posts which just registered once in order to search.

It's pointless and annoying for both uses and mods/admins to deal with this ancient and crappy piece of forum. If we already have problems with it today then I don't wanna figure what problems we have once Arma2 is out and dozens of new users register per hour. Not to mention poor Placebo processing them all.

nener.gif

Unfortunately the only people able to decide about this sitting in Praque. They know about the problems, and I'm sure they have their reasons for not moving a single step forward, yet.  huh.gif

Can we have bigger pm boxes on the new forums?

I always found the limitation rather cumbersome..

Allowing about 1000 messages or so per user shouldn´t be too much of a problem , right? smile_o.gif

An option is to freeze this forum, leave it here as it currently is, and start a new one from scratch.

That would leave BIS with two forums. One in the freezer and one in the fireplace.

Best to do this before the ArmA2 release though, doing this right after a product release is just messy and confusing for new members.

Can we have bigger pm boxes on the new forums?

I always found the limitation rather cumbersome..

Allowing about 1000 messages or so per user shouldn´t be too much of a problem , right? smile_o.gif

Not sure, depends how much resources they use up, I use many forums with far more stringent limits so you should be thankful wink_o.gif

I am thankful, believe me! *reminds lesson from bofh*

It´s just that im used to more space and like to be messy with my pm´s, oldest one on this board dates back to 2003 (lol)

Thx for your consideration anyway  smile_o.gif

EDIT:

Rephrase: has there been any movement made in the forums sucking department?

The new forums are moving forward, that's all I can tell you really.

May I post a thread in the offtopic section where I present an (non-commercial) internet project a friend and I are working on. It is an application (online editor) and would want some feedback.

What you can do with it is to build themed maps. It is a fully functional and embeddable map just with extra options to design it. Also, it provides a far smoother browsing experience because fully flash based (same for the editor)

Example

armaflash.jpg

why does it always take a year untill I get a reply from a mod. Lazy foreigners you are!  biggrin_o.gif

LOL, hi Albert, still alive? biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Well, when you can create a ArmA-themed map with it, it's okay to post it here I think... smile_o.gif

Damn, I insult the lazyness of foreigners and who replies? A fellow german mod! tounge2.gif Anyhow, I will gladly post a thread, but before doing so I wait for a small patch this afternoon.

Which mod was once present in a radio interview? I remeber him having a very stereotypical german voice. Or a herr Flick voice. I need to find the interview and make loops!

Which mod was once present in a radio interview? I remeber him having a very stereotypical german voice. Or a herr Flick voice. I need to find the interview and make loops!

Me. whistle.gif

/edit: BTW, Mr. Flick's coffin has been stolen, with him inside.

Is it just me, or are the threads from the ArmA O2 Modelling area disappearing on a daily basis? The other day the second page had gone, now there are only eight or so threads. There were a few good threads there (including my own about Degenerated Triangles), that now, unless I'm blind/semi-retarded have vanished.

make sure you don't have the 30 day cutoff on, if you do it'll only show threads that have been active or have had any posts made in the last 30 days.

make sure you don't have the 30 day cutoff on, if you do it'll only show threads that have been active or have had any posts made in the last 30 days.

Not entirely sure how that option became activated, but I've switched it back to showing threads from the beginning and its fixed, thanks Mehman. I must have caught it by mistake whilst browsing.

Dear moderators,

I'm a big fan of Xeno's Domination mission, it's very popular, great fun to play and good to modify.

It has a massive topic in ArmA/User missions but it's not possible to use search in individual threads and many of the questions that get asked, are asked over and over again. As we say, it's hard to see the wood for the trees.

Would it be possible for us to have a seperate thread called "Editing and modding Xeno's Domination" and if so, in which forum should we put it?

Thanks

Tanky Paul

Dear moderators,

I'm a big fan of Xeno's Domination mission, it's very popular, great fun to play and good to modify.

It has a massive topic in ArmA/User missions but it's not possible to use search in individual threads and many of the questions that get asked, are asked over and over again. As we say, it's hard to see the wood for the trees.

Would it be possible for us to have a seperate thread called "Editing and modding Xeno's Domination" and if so, in which forum should we put it?

Thanks

Tanky Paul

The new forums will allow searching within threads, just a little more patience required smile_o.gif

You can also select "print view" and then view the whole thread in one page, use CTRL+F to look for certain keywords, that helps find stuff smile_o.gif

Dear moderators,

Thanks

Tanky Paul

The new forums will allow searching within threads, just a little more patience required smile_o.gif

You can also select "print view" and then view the whole thread in one page, use CTRL+F to look for certain keywords, that helps find stuff smile_o.gif

Answer one as expected. smile_o.gif

Answer two. I didn't know that. Will try now.

Many thanks.

Happy New Year.

will the community blog be continued after the new forums open?

Ok, another question, will the question above this one ever be answered?