Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

Quote[/b] ]The number of topics that were open to discussion were pretty significant.

You´ve made clear that you only wanted to talk about VOIP.

If you don´t see the problem arising with this, you´re not realizing how much people are waiting for 1.09 and are extremely interested in the effects of the patch.

That´s the main problem, as you just can´t hold a carrot in front of Arma players heads and expect them to follow your given directives while they have so many questions to be answered.

As you have seen from the peoples reactions this was simply not the right way to do it. Either you show it all, or nothing at all at this point. People are waiting for 1.09 for quite a while now and impatience comes along with this long waiting-process.

You´d need a Mod in your thread 24/7 to sort all those who have more burning questions than the VOIP thing.

Either you offer it all, or you just accept that people have problems staying focussed when talking to someone who has the privilege to have access to a patch that they are all waiting for desperately for months now.

Quote[/b] ]Thank god we have alternative places to discuss ArmA.

It seems you can´t understand the reactions your thread caused. Try to see it from the perspective of someone who doesn´t have the chance to playtest 1.09 and has quite a number of questions on his list.

Would you be happy to get just a little chunk of info while there are so many unanswered questions and at the same time being told that this a one feature exclusively discussion thread ?

Hardly, I´d say.

The stupidity of people posting in that thread astounds me. My sympathies to Dslyecxi.

Cool videos by the way.

This has been discussed long enough now. The thread is closed. There's no reason to continue it here even longer.

Quote[/b] ]Thank god we have alternative places to discuss ArmA.

It seems you can´t understand the reactions your thread caused. Try to see it from the perspective of someone who doesn´t have the chance to playtest 1.09 and has quite a number of questions on his list.

Would you be happy to get just a little chunk of info while there are so many unanswered questions and at the same time being told that this a one feature exclusively discussion thread ?

Considering that the exact same topic has been discussed with zero issues on other forums, I think it is very clear that the issues arise from the ArmA forum specifically and it's userbase. It is a quality issue inherent with this community, and it's rather disheartening that of all places, such a conversation is least likely to be successful on the ArmA forum. Perhaps it should be expected, but regardless, it's still disheartening.

I think it is very clear that the issues arise from the ArmA forum specifically and it's userbase. It is a quality issue inherent with this community, and it's rather disheartening

Indeed. There were two moderators on that thread and Placebo still saw fit to close it. It's indefensible and we all know it.

Quote[/b] ]It is a quality issue inherent with this community, and it's rather disheartening that of all places, such a conversation is least likely to be successful on the ArmA forum.

First of all I don´t think it´s ok to degrade the "community" here. By the nature of this board it is a place where owners of Arma and OFP gather. As this is quite a representative average of the gamers as a whole, I don´t think you do the people justice by putting them all into one bowl, just because the outcome of your thread was different than you had previously thought.

Comparing a dedicated forum including a grown community with a game developers public forum is comparing apples with stones and therefore not contributing to the issue at hand.

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps it should be expected

Yes, but some more careful thinking from your side could have prevented this first.

You can´t blame the community to ask for more, but you can blame yourself for not thinking enough about it before opening the thread, given the current desire for details on the patch.

Quote[/b] ]It's indefensible and we all know it.

I don´t agree. In fact it was the only perfect consequence he could have chosen given the nature of the issue.

I´ll keep it with Raedor now:

Quote[/b] ]There's no reason to continue it here even longer.

Cheers.

Also until I hear otherwise it's still an extreme no no to 1. make it known you're in the beta test and 2. revealing information learned as part of beta testing.

Just to clear this up, he did have permission from Marek to make this thread so in terms of that he didn't do anything wrong. However the thread will remain closed for the same reasons as I closed it. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to knowing the specifics of what 1.09 will include but I think the fairest way for the interests of everyone is to learn all about it at the same time and to be able to discuss all aspects of it at the same time, without being told by a peer that "this is what you can talk about only".

I came to a conclusion after having thought about it for roughly 0.5 seconds, that he must have gotten permission from BIS.

I mean, I was quite sure this specific person can not be so stupid to create a public thread like that and have no permission.

So, that conclusion was the reason why I defended him in the first place, among with the fact that other people behaved quite idiotically in the thread.

In general I agree that beta testers should keep it between themselves and BIS. But if they ask and get permission then it's okay to me. Otherwise, I would be strictly against it.

A corrective measure with possible future similar threads, would be to write as the first line of the first message that official permission to post the info has been received.

Edit: Sorry I didn't notice that raedor wanted us to stop discussing this. I will stop here.

Back to the Topic gents "Ask a moderator.."

You have entered discussion mode.. which is not what this thread is for..

Thanks smile_o.gif

What happened to the "no posting of mirrors in the addon thread, PM the thread starter instead" rule in the A&M:C boards? was this rule revoked recently?

What happened to the "no posting of mirrors in the addon thread, PM the thread starter instead" rule in the A&M:C boards? was this rule revoked recently?

Exactly. smile_o.gif

Are thread titles automatically being lowercased or did i just have too much "Glühwein"?

Pretty sure that i had my latest topic dexcription like this:

"Ofp in ArmA - Objects Pack(s)"

but instead it gave me that:

"Ofp in arma - objects pack(s)"

confused_o.gif

I think Placebo added some kind of toLower there... wink_o.gif Fixed it for your thread.

Thanks alot smile_o.gif

Noticed another problem though ..

While trying to send a message to multiple members i first ran into the problem of an error page popping up telling me that the receipient cannot recaive more messages due to the inbox being full.

Then i deleted some from the list and on the next try it told me that i cannot send to more than 10 people at the same time .. driving me nutz..

The worst part is that you dont know if any of the pm´s have been sent yet, or all of them went into data nirvana.

So if you get more than one message from me, blame the forums tounge2.gif

The worst part is that you dont know if any of the pm´s have been sent yet, or all of them went into data nirvana.

So if you get more than one message from me, blame the forums tounge2.gif

I got one message from you. Thanks. smile_o.gif

I am sorry that Stavanger's Militaria // ArmA Addonlist is not coming back.

PS: @Mod Please close the thread, thanks to all!

Maybe it's time to remove this as a sticky to allow for more real estate space on the ArmA: Addons and Mods Discussion sub-forum?

Abs

I hate to quote myself, but is there a response to this yet?

Abs

I unpinned and closed it now. As I said several times: It's better to PM a moderator asking for closing a thread then requesting it in the thread. We can't read them all and every single post made. smile_o.gif

I unpinned and closed it now. As I said several times: It's better to PM a moderator asking for closing a thread then requesting it in the thread. We can't read them all and every single post made. smile_o.gif

Sorry mate, I must have missed that. I can't read every single post made. wink_o.gif j/k...

So, even if it's not my post, you'd rather I PM someone?

Abs

I know it's not your post, just wanted to point out that once more. It was more directed towards the original author.

But yes if you see such an request from an author which isn't no more active then why not reporting it. If they are still around, it's their own business to ask for a closure. smile_o.gif

Don't spam, especially don't spam threads that moderators monitor continuously, that's just really, really stupid.

Exactly.  smile_o.gif

May I ask why it was revoked?

It seemed well adhered to. However it is rather funny now that the rule has gone whenever an addon/mod/mission is posted the news sites are down on that thread like a flock of seagulls on a lone morsel of food.

I decided it was an unnecessary rule, the way I see it, if you take the time and effort to mirror an addon, the very least you should be able to do is make a post saying you've mirrored the addon, it's a little bump for the addon, it's a little kudos for the addon maker, it's a little advert for the mirrror'er it seems to me that all that is really harmless in the grand scheme of things? smile_o.gif

Swearing. What's the rule?

There's one or two users who use the 'f' word quite conversationally. They don't swear at users, but the word is used a lot in their posts. The Americans have a good phrase for it; "Potty mouth".

Personally, I think it's foul language and not appropriate.