Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

Lost-World Returns

Thanks NeilReed101, it was drawn by our member Andrew.

I would be interested to see some of your work wink_o.gif

Mrs Rex now has a skeleton, and we will be shortly doing some test's with her “in game†wink_o.gif

Here is teaser

rex1.gif

sweet... I so can't wait..

The concept art is awesome too..

pistols.gif

yay.gif

Keep it up guys..

thumbs-up.gif

Breathtaking!

Will we be able to take the role as dinosaurs again like in the OFP days and hunt our friends over the internet? smile_o.gif

*Has visions of my mates shooting off hundreds of rounds into my T-Rex as I bear down on them and bite their heads off*

Thanks chaps, it’s a pleasure

@Redstorm

Yes you can play as a dinosaur, and i am also getting very excited about the prospect.

"Multiplayer game, wading through the jungle, atmospheric ambient sounds, you only have your 5.56 rifle, all of a sudden you get ambushed by other players "Playing" as raptors"

Survival of the fittest I think biggrin_o.gif

Here is another shot before we close the Wip’s for a while.

trexpos.gif

Looks cool

Just came up with an idea and was wondering if this is possible;

while playing as a raptor for example, while running can you have the heavy breathing changed to some dinosaur-like sound for that unit only? Would at least give you more off an feeling of being that raptor

love all the stuff so far and can('t) wait for this mod to be finished

Guest Ti0n3r

Damn that T. Rex looks... inlove.gif Nice work!

Guest Ti0n3r

Dumb question maybe, but will the Dinosaurs appear like they did in the movies? (T. Rex vision is movement based, Velociraptor is based on Deinonychus instead of the real raptor etc).

Cheers! smile_o.gif

I’m afraid not Ti0n3r, Jurassic Park got a few aspects wrong, despite them having their own leading palaeontologist helping them.

However you have to consider the realism factor and entertainment factor. (For the films anyway)

According to our palaeontologist Jim Dow, the tyrannosaur was in fact completely the opposite of the movies!

Its vision was frontal based, and not at the side of the head (like Dromeosaurides), Allowing the t-rex to get at least 180* perspective vision, covering large distances, including depth.

We of course can implement this and our dinosaurs will in fact have pre-scripted “eyes†as part of the model, giving them better “field of view†for each dinosaurs specie, rather them all being the same.

Recent data has also suggested that the rex had enormous smelling detection coverage. Allowing the rex to smell and track for many miles.

This will also be featured in our smelling scripts/eco system.

As for the Raptor species, Velociraptor was in fact the size of an average turkey, we won’t be including them, we will however be including the more ferocious and larger species such as Deinonychus Utahraptor and Oviraptor.

These dinosaurs had impeccable vision, but surprisingly lacked any acute smelling; their primary tool was through their eyes.

This is but a small taste of the characteristics being implemented into every single dinosaur to make them feel alive.

Here are some abstracts from Jim Dow.

Quote[/b] ]Dromeosaurides: Dromeosaurides (depending on size) can be either timid or extremely fierce. They hunt in packs of about 3-6, and would probably use communication in the form of screams and screeches, much in the way dolphins or whales may communicate. Although likely unfamiliar with the buildings of Isla Sorna and/or Isla Nublar, Dromeosaurides like Velociraptor or Deinonychus would probably use these buildings as shelter in wet or rainy weather, or to get out of the heat.

The types of habitats Dromeosaurides would live in would be in wide savannah, much like lions.

Large Carnivores: Large, Fierce, and Territorial, Large Carnivores would be the apex predators of Isla Nublar. Having wide territories would allow for much more of a flexible habitat, allowing Large Carnivores to hunt and scavenge in places where they could find many sources of food and water. Because they are so large, the only thing the larger carnivores would have to worry about was other large carnivores invading on territory and habitat. This would result in a fight or a duel, and the winner would either be killed or chased out of the territory.

Sauropods: Extremely large animals like Sauropods (Brachiosaurus, Apatosaurus ect) were the largest animals to ever walk the earth. To be condensed in one island, the Sauropods would be forced to one sort of habitat. Because they are so large, it requires them to eat tonnes of plant food a day. A herd of 10 sauropods could strip an entire forest of plant matter in about 1 hour. Many smaller herbivores would regularly herd around the sauropods in a social matter as herbivores do. It is common for dozens of different species of herbivore to share one habitat and environment

Hadrosaurs: Large, Herbivourous, and highly social animals, Hadrosaurs were gentle animals, going along their own business eating, sleeping, and caring for young. Living in herds of up to hundreds of animals, Hadrosaurs will gladly share territory with other herbivores, big or small. Since Hadrosaurs don't have much defence against carnivores, they use strength in numbers. If a habitat is cleaned of vegetation, Hadrosaurs will herd together in massive groups toward the next habitat that can sustain their massive need for food, shelter and water.

Ornithomimosauria: Very Ostrich like animals, this family of dinosaurs includes members of Gallimimus, Struthiomimus and others. These were likely the fastest dinosaurs of their time, reaching speeds of up to 60 or 70 MPH. These animals are mainly herbivores, but will prey on small lizards or even small dinosaurs if they are hungry enough. Travelling in groups of 2-4, these large, long-legged speed machines would likely live in wide open areas where they could escape prey with their speeed

@Lee_H._Oswald

Very nice mate, did you nuke the background?  rofl.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Thanks Nick, good to hear smile_o.gif

I thought you told me you weren't going to allow the "I'm a

dinosaur Grrrrr...rowrrr" point of view to players.

Quote[/b] ]

"Multiplayer game, wading through the jungle, atmospheric ambient sounds, you only have your 5.56 rifle, all of a sudden you get ambushed by other players "Playing" as raptors"

Wouldn't one be more likely to be carrying a dangerous game

rifle (.458 Win, .505 Gibbs etc) rather than a silly 5.56mm

mouse-gun?

I only want to play as a dinosaur in the "I'm a

dinosaur Grrrrr...rowrrr" point of view, if there is an acurate 3d model of Smiley_Nick to hunt and kill.

I only want to play as a dinosaur in the "I'm a

dinosaur Grrrrr...rowrrr" point of view, if there is an acurate 3d model of Smiley_Nick to hunt and kill.

Yeah, and only if it's animated so we can messily dismember

it and it makes pathetic squealing noises as we do it tounge2.gif

Nah, it would have to go "omg thats so good!" "you're so amazing" "your music sucks" to be 100% accurate.

Yes you can play as a dinosaur, and i am also getting very excited about the prospect.

Ooh nice smile_o.gif

Idea for a game mode: play as a raptor on first spawn, to earn your "right" to play as a human you must kill a human wink_o.gif

Just a thought smile_o.gif might make people play more tensley if they know their "human" status can be taken from them.

Guest Ti0n3r

Another question; How will the command radio be handled when you play as a Dinosaur "squad"? I've got an idea on how to solve it, but I thought I'd ask about your approach to it first.

Edit: Sorry for being a pain in the butt wink_o.gif

Nah, it would have to go "omg thats so good!" "you're so amazing" "your music sucks" to be 100% accurate.

@smiley. I think the "dinosaur P.O.V" is descending to

the "sharks with lasers" level of inanity. You said you weren't

doing this because you wanted to keep it "serious". There

seems little point in doing all the zoological research and

complex scripting if you let people pretend to be dinosaurs.

Why'd you change your mind?

@Adam: Nah, in my experience the "pathetic squealing noises"

is still much more authentically "Smiley"    tounge2.gif

edit: Ok, enough of the Smiley bashing. SniperUK and I have

a "history" with him which we are just rapping about. Enough

now. All meant in good heart.

Quote[/b] ] I think the "dinosaur P.O.V" is descending to

the "sharks with lasers" level of inanity.

How dare you degrade sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

@smiley. I think the "dinosaur P.O.V" is descending to

the "sharks with lasers" level of inanity. You said you weren't

doing this because you wanted to keep it "serious". There

seems little point in doing all the zoological research and

complex scripting if you let people pretend to be dinosaurs.

Why'd you change your mind?

@Adam: Nah, in my experience the "pathetic squealing noises"

is still much more authentically "Smiley"    tounge2.gif

edit: Ok, enough of the Smiley bashing. SniperUK and I have

a "history" with him which we are just rapping about. Enough

now. All meant in good heart.

@ Col. Faulkner

Just wait until you have your mod page wink_o.gif

On a serious note, you do share valid concerns. Let me try and explain in detail what we are going to achieve here.

As a single player experience, you will be thrown into an atmospheric, story driven experience. To which everything you will see will have a purpose, and with the realism settings to the max, as this is part of the experience.

The human AI and dinosaur AI in some areas will be choreographed, I call it “semi linear†to give the player a feeling you are in a film, if anyone has played King Kong, from Peter Jackson, the game play and atmosphere will have similar characteristics, however the mod will be a lot grittier and obviously will offer more freedom in respects.

Multiplayer

Various opportunities lie here. And it won’t stop from our finial release; I am hoping people will also make missions and “user themed" maps.

If you look at ArmA as a default game, it came with various game play “maps†offering; co op, cft, dm, and cti

There is nothing wrong in appealing to all your markets, which will offer maximum game play for all.

No one can really expect the outcome for the final release for user created missions; however I can give a list of what you can expect from us upon release.

1.) MP “Coop Survivalâ€

This is pretty self explanatory, the map will have a basic theme and plot, with various locations dotted around the island for the players to use and interact. The map will not be following the single player campaign, as it would be too difficult to capture the same feeling, as MP is a completely different ball game. We will let the individual do this.

You can expect to start at crash site, or something similar, with a group of other human players, the most important thing is that they will have a choice, do you stick together? Or do you go solo? The choice is yours, and because of that will determine your survival rate on the island.

The map will have one goal, and that is to get off the island. I must stress this will also be very “role-play†based in order for it to work correctly; if you collect the right sort of players (as with any map) you will have a fantastic time.

How you do this is up to you, and there will be hundreds of ways to do this.

We might also have our own dedicated server for people to sign up to, and play with like minded people.

2.) MP “Survival of the fittestâ€

Ok so we are going to be a bit "n00bie" here and offer players the chance to play as dinosaurs, which in my personnel opinion is pretty cool. In its simplest form, you have humans and dinosaurs, both of which are controlled by humans.

What’s the purpose?

The purpose is to create a tenser atmosphere, as good as our AI will be, they will still be AI, and will become predictable soon enough. We don’t have sufficient power to edit the AI code in the engine.

So why waste valuable resources trying to make AI think and act like humans, when you can have a human on the other end.

The map will be simple, "Survive" as a dinosaur or man. Humans will obviously have firepower and mobility.

Dinosaur will have speed, aggression, and hopefully coordinated attacks.

(If the right people play)

@ Ti0n3r

Well there are a few options with that. It all depends on it purpose.

For our purpose, we might keep it, but heavily modify it, implementing pure basic instinct features that dinosaurs would use, such as various vocal recordings to act as “orders†sounds strange I know.

Other players will then be able to listen out, to either support or expect an attack, but this feature will mainly focus on the raptor species, as this is where the main fast action entertainment lies.

Think of it as the CS for the mod. We are aiming for all markets here, and there will be various types of game play for differnet game play styles.

(all information is subject to change)

Sounds interesting !

You could also make it so that, Dinosaurs need to eat humans to survive.More they eat the stronger they get