Sign in to follow this  
poitings

Gun view movement is "TERRIBLE"

Well I've been looking at the Opteron 285, eats everything inc my money lol. I got a SATA150 on my next motherboard my HD can use 300 since it does both.

I noticed this game does lag and I will need to upgrade even before I played this.

Opteron 285...Are you making a Dual-CPU PC? They tend not to show any benefit in games, Id recommend you save time and money and get a fast dual core CPU, the Core 2 Duo E6600 is just as fast for single CPU tasks, and much cheaper.

EDIT: Further reason not to go down the Multi-CPU opteron road is that they require expensive Socket 940 motherboards which require expensive and comparatively slow ECC RAM.

Hmm, the E6300, same as extra E6600 just without extra cache for £115 sound ok?

What would be a good card to get now? (being ATi) so I can run ArmA on full. Btw I have looked at the X1950XTX, worth going for?

Get a logitech G7

it's an invaluable mouse for OPFP.

Especially with aiming. You can adjust the tracking speed at a click of a finger.

G5 if you don't want to move out of last century and have a fetish for unravelling cords.

Get a logitech G7

it's an invaluable mouse for OPFP.

Especially with aiming. You can adjust the tracking speed at a click of a finger.

G5 if you don't want to move out of last century and have a fetish for unravelling cords.

I hate wireless stuff.

Also how do you do this float 0 thing?

In the options/controls menu.

Sliderbar at the bottom. all the way to the left for 0 floating, all the way right for max. I like it maxed out.

Floating feels more natural for me, makes me less dizzy, although I have it set to 0 until the odd mouse lag is fixed.

What would be a good card to get now? (being ATi) so I can run ArmA on full. Btw I have looked at the X1950XTX, worth going for?

Mmm...I think the E6300 is also a slower (1.83GHz vs. 2.4GHz for E6600) How much is the E6400? Why ATi? nVidia's midrange cards tend to be the best, check out the 7900GS or 7600GT if you want a cheaper solution.

Mmm...I think the E6300 is also a slower (1.83GHz vs. 2.4GHz for E6600) How much is the E6400? Why ATi? nVidia's midrange cards tend to be the best, check out the 7900GS or 7600GT if you want a cheaper solution.

Nvidia screwed me over before.

E6300 - £115

E6400 - £140

E6600 - £200

E6700 - £322

I am no CS or quake type guy, hate those games!

As i stated I've played OPF for years, and after that Americas Army for 4 years.

As for the "drag" effect it might be hardware oriented, testing that now - and I managed to reduce it.

As for the aim - there must be something seriously wrong with my game. I just did the training course, and heck.. even as gunner on the m1 I can't even hit with the first shot...

On the rifle range.. my M4 went as usuall all over the place?? I lay prone, take my normal time to aim... and on like 50m I see the bullet hit like 3 meter left of target, and next round.. way above target.. and so on...

What on earth is wrong here??

the ballistics/bullet "spaz" problems are all to do with the horrible 1.2 patch , reinstall and apply 1.1 (note however the SPR -blufor's semiautomatic rifle- ballistics are fucked , but every other weapon is fine) . as for the "drag" i never experienced this AT ALL , and i ran the game on "very high" visual preferance , with a good mix of normal and high settings , that was by default as well (my setup in a nutshell is : 3.2ghz single core (maybe duo) i think , 1024mb RAM , 7600GT 256mb , running the german Arma on patch 1.1 ) . Arma runs beautifully for me , loading times are blissful , detail and effects are awesome , and i rarely and i do mean rarely lagged , the worst ive had is a huge huge battle in a forest with heaps of vehicles , explosions and fog , but that only caused a cut in FPS , no stuttering. Just try the 1.1 patch dude . (to BIS devs : bad idea to release the demo on the 1.2 patch and with no server files , it's not exactly promising looking for future customers) (also note : drag may be another 1.2 problem only , dunno yet and im not going to test it either , 1.2 fails)

another thing , has anyone noticed that each time someone really , really complains about aiming/ballistics problem , they always seem to say they are a "marksman/sniper/shooter/long range shooter in real life"....jesus kiddies these days seem to think hitting a target in the bullseye at 25meters with a .22 rifle makes them automatically sharpshooters confused_o.gif

want cheap solution running ArmA w/o issue ?

Intel P965 board (e.g. FoxConn or more expensive ASUS) E6300 + X1950pro 512MB GDR3 and 2GB RAM plus strip RAID ...

sure it can't beat overpricey hiend but it works

nv cards was the best untill ATI X1950 pro with native CF comes to the mid range, and it isnt that expensive IMO

Intel P965 board (e.g. FoxConn or more expensive ASUS) E6300 + X1950pro 512MB GDR3 and 2GB RAM plus strip RAID ...

Yeah thats my orginal plan, Asus board, ATi card, loads of memory.

Do I need RAID? I have a maxtor SATAII atm

uhhh you can run arma w/o issue for CHEAPER then what you said lol. anyway thread no longer needs to live . seriously here's the solution :

1.all go back to the 1.01 patch (which has more realistic ballistics then 1.0 but the SPR rifle is screwed , not that it really matters )

2.complain/whine/bitch/emo-tise yourselves until devs realize the demo response really isnt going to go well and that they need to unfuck the 1.02 patch ASAP

3.complain/whine/bitch/emo-tise about small , insignificant issues, that really don't matter in the great scheme of Armed Assault and "will probably be fixed by BIS soon anyway" just to find something to complain about.

4. this one is really important : if every single Arma "whiner" focused their whining into modding and editing arma , we'd have ton of good quality mods within a month tounge2.gif . that being said , i should concentrate my flames into modding and i might get somewhere too confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]uhhh you can run arma w/o issue for CHEAPER then what you said lol. anyway thread no longer needs to live . seriously here's the solution :

I want to play with MAX settings not just to get buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would anyone 'want' it floating all over the place?

Feels more natural to me. I learned only to turn my torso when aiming at a moving target, not my whole body. Plus playing without HUD crosshairs and flotaing, forces me to fire my weapon like I were tought to: Using the sights.

If I don't have time to use the sights, I'll just have to fire untill my bead close in on the threat.

Quote[/b] ]uhhh you can run arma w/o issue for CHEAPER then what you said lol. anyway thread no longer needs to live . seriously here's the solution :

As far as I know, its impossible to run OFP with everything maxed out, does anyone know if this is also the case for ArmA?

As far as I know, its impossible to run OFP with everything maxed out, does anyone know if this is also the case for ArmA?

I would keep distance to 1200m, even 2000+ on OFP causes a lot of lag with big battles huh.gif

Well i don't know how to mod so where else would you suggest i focus my whine energy?

sort of strange that these new games aren't running optimally with top of the line hardware. always seems like the recommended settings for games are really the minimal

Quote[/b] ]

Mmm...I think the E6300 is also a slower (1.83GHz vs. 2.4GHz for nv cards was the best untill ATI X1950 pro with native CF comes to the mid range, and it isnt that expensive IMO

-

I just bought a new rig and ArmA really flies on it.

I have a E6600 with a ATI X1950XTX 512Mb DDR4 & 2Gb RAM 800Mhz

I play with viewdistance 4000, most settings on high, only postprocessing, AA & AF on low.

Actually, the difference between high & very high is almost negligible. Arma looks beautiful even on normal settings

I have framerates around 40-50 in the city's, 80-100 in the desert and a decent 30-35 in the woods.

Best of all, lots of units don't effect the framerate that much.

For those complaining about the weapon aim metrics; I'm sorry, while I understand your sentiments -- I disagree strongly...  

ArmA by design is intended to raise the bar of realism and tactically sophisticated game-play, and IMHO this it does very well.  While still a game by design, I think BI have made a very wise move in making weapons more realistically unwieldily with inertia and slew.  

You can not in the real world 'snap' a weapon to a point of of perfect aim 270° to your left or right in a fraction of a second as you can in games like Counter-Strike or even Ghost Recon with a mouse and a little practice.

While I acknowledge that realism should not be the sole arbiter of game design, here I think it's a good move for several sound reasons that have everything to do with the quality of game-play and more realism is just an added benefit.

To wit, in so many Tactical Realism Shooters as players learn to master weapon metrics and game-play; verses play became more and more unrealistic and arcadish, ridiculously fast and spammy -- i.e. even team vs team objective games usually devolved to Rambo death-match play...  The only resort players looking for more realistic, or just game-play with more depth then out and out death match play is to hook-up with Tactical Gamer or play COOP.

While ArmA may not offer you the satisfaction of Counter-Strike twitch aim, it does offer a nice answer for those of us that have been seeking more tactically sophisticated versus play, where slow, careful, planned movement, a heavier emphasis on deeper skills of execution in virtual marksmanship, and a greater reliance on team-work become essential.

I can only say; I hope you give it more of a chance then you have -- and will learn to appreciate what BI is offing you, as the only "TERRIBLE" thing I see here is lack of patience, skill, understanding, and appreciation for more sophistocated, adult gaming...

sadeyes.gif

This realism argument is getting old now. I mean lets be real for a second ok? Its a game thats trying to simulate warfare. Now my group plays WGL with no 3rd person, no aim reticle, the works because we perfer realism at the extremes. Yet 3/4 of my group has unistalled the game in complete disgust with the gameplay.

For example, I read in the forums how the delay in the map screen is "more realistic" because it represents the time to take out a map. Just an example of how fking retarded the kool-aid drinkers have gone. I mean, give me a break, so is the delay from 1st person perspective to 3rd person also a simulation of realism icon_rolleyes.gif No its not, its called shotty programing. The sluggishness in the controls is because BIS didnt want to spend the time with this game and it shows in just about every area of the game. Way too many to even list.

Ever wonder why the demo wasnt released till it went gold? Im pretty sure I know why now. But with all that said, i have faith they will correct many of these faults within the game over time, but if you keep making excuses for them, then they wont have to. So I say let the critics have there say, otherwise you wont see this game last even 1/4th of what OFP has.

I'm 100 % with you Waika.

I've played just about every FPS since Nukem and Doom and while models and sounds have vastly improved, eventually they start to feel more like mouse cursor wars rather than gun battles. The only thing that matters to me is that the bullet should end up wherever my cursor is, no random deviation barring wind or long range shots.

Quote[/b] ]Ever wonder why the demo wasnt released till it went gold? Im pretty sure I know why now.

It's because you'd only have more stuff to go boohoohoo about if they had used some bug hunting time to make it.

Besides, it's only gold in Czech, German, Polish and Russian languages. Demo was released well before the English version, which is the version for most of the world (like Asia, America, Australia, Africa and the most of Europe).