Sign in to follow this  
poitings

Gun view movement is "TERRIBLE"

I think it's a question of how you translate what would happen in real life to the mouse/keyboard/screen/speakers experience.

Obviously BIS recognise that they can't go total simulation. I bet they don't even for the Army training version of the program. Somethings just don't translate. Reality doesnt always translate as strange as it seems and if you get too literal then it have have the opposite effect. Some out of left field but pertinent examples.

Animators can not draw characters to proportion, if they do they appear very squat, so they have to elongate their bodies so they appear normal. That's also why animated characters ended up with three fingers instead of four i believe.

Also, the Greeks, masters of preciscion at the time built the Parthanon temple to such exacting standards that engineers and architects even today are in awe of it. It turns out though that they had to put a dip in the edge of parts of it because if they made it realistically straight then it would appear to bulge out.

So what i'm saying is that the same principle applies mentally so some aspects of translating realism games, which i think you will agree have something in common with animated characters and buildings.

Sometimes they have to make a game a little unrealistic in order to get a realistic effect. Sounds strange i know but if it was good enough for the Ancient Greeks then it's good enough for me. wink_o.gif

realistically simulated mass etc doesnt feel real to me, it feels dream like. So, i want that compensation added to make it feel natural to me.

omg, ppl talking about stuff they obviously have no freaking clue whatsoever about... Anyone in this thread ever heard the term "mouse lag"?!

omg, ppl talking about stuff they obviously have no freaking clue whatsoever about...  Anyone in this thread ever heard the term "mouse lag"?!

Heh ive been wondering for a while about this too..

Just a question to anyone who thinks that the mouse movement sucks/is different compared to OFP:

Do you have vsync on or off, or on default (driver settings, not ingame)

I guess inertia and mass are key elements for ultra realistic infantry sim. tounge2.gif

M4: light and handy rifle. You can handle it and sight a target rapidly but its accuracy is not good because once you fire, M4 bounces a lot. You need to shoot it in single mode if you want to hit a target accurately.

M249: heavy and stable machine gun. Its heavy mass makes itself inertial and slow. You will feel a little difficulty to sight a target rapidly compared with M4 and other assault rifles but its accuracy both in single and fullauto mode exceeds M4 dramatically because its mass almost kills bounces.

Does ArmA supports inertia and mass in weapons correctly? wink_o.gif

Wow Darkreaper you seem so insightful. Please tell us more.

Stop being sarcastic. Havent been in Ofp/ArmA techstuff much, but I highly doubt there is any code in the game to simulate "mouse lag" which is basically whats described in this thread. Its not a simulated feature, even if people like it, its mouselag....a technical phenomenon which depends on how the game is coded and how fast your PC is handling it.

Other stuff like recoil, accuracy etc are usually things set in some cfg files (xml or whatever) but not how responsive your mouse moves (correct me if im wrong).

If you have problems with mouse movement, lower graphics settings. How on Earth is this worthy of a huge thread? crazy_o.gif

Wow Darkreaper you seem so insightful. Please tell us more.

Stop being sarcastic. Havent been in Ofp/ArmA techstuff much, but I highly doubt there is any code in the game to simulate "mouse lag" which is basically whats described in this thread. Its not a simulated feature, even if people like it, its mouselag....a technical phenomenon which  depends on how the game is coded and how fast your PC is handling it.

Other stuff like recoil, accuracy etc are usually things set in some cfg files (xml or whatever) but not how responsive your mouse moves (correct me if im wrong).

OFP and ArmA contains a feature called free aim.

The gun moves at a set speed, so even if you whip across the screen with your mouse, depending on the gun your usings simulated mass and weight, it follows behind as fast as it can go.

So it  is part of a coded feature.

Some people with slower PC's get this extended way past what its meant to be by this "mouse lag" you refer to...

Thats what I gather from my playing experiances anyway...

Edit: Typo.

Yes, I don't really understand what people are complaining

about. When I first installed the thing, the default settings

were way above what my pathetic hardware could cope with.

Trying to aim, my foresight wavered all over the pace like a

drunk trying to hit his front door lock. With much regret I had

to turn down all of the graphic settings. It now looks like a

pimped up version of OPF but I have no problems with the

foresight not going where I intend it to.

Just set float to 0 and stfu ppl lol rofl.gif

That's got nothing to do with the mouse lag people are having. The problem is the graphics settings.

I think my system is within minimum recommeded specs.

Athlon XP 2.4, 1 gig ram, nVidia 7600GT.

I set the float point thing to zero, all the way to the left.

I set allllll the graphics options to as low as i can get them with a res of 1024 768 and i stillllllllll get mouse lag. huh.gif?huh.gif??

As an experiment i even set res to like 640 480 or whatever teh lowest is and all i had on the screen was plain green blobs everywhere and i stilllllllll had mouse lag. . . . . so it's not a system thing.

I've seen gameplay vids of guys with high settings and full distance turned on but they seem to have a smooth and fast gun pan.

I think my system is within minimum recommeded specs.

Athlon XP 2.4, 1 gig ram, nVidia 7600GT.

I set the float point thing to zero, all the way to the left.

I set allllll the graphics options to as low as i can get them with a res of 1024 768 and i stillllllllll get mouse lag. huh.gif?huh.gif??

As an experiment i even set res to like 640 480 or whatever teh lowest is and all i had on the screen was plain green blobs everywhere and i stilllllllll had mouse lag. . . . . so it's not a system thing.

I've seen gameplay vids of guys with high settings and full distance turned on but they seem to have a smooth and fast gun pan.

Turn Vsync off in your graphics driver settings. I have a 7800GT slightly overclocked and I don't get mouselag on mostly the highest settings. Don't put AF above low and put object detail on normal.

I"ve overclocked my graphics card and i've turned off absolutely everything in the nVidia control panel. All the anti aliasing, anistropic and v sync, even tripple buffer thing.

Still got the problem.

if you mean the fps slow down when you open gun sight(more noticable if you are using a 10X scope), then there is notthing could do to help, i am playing with a crap machine and i still enjoy it cause i choose to live with it till i got a new computer, if you really cant live with it, stop playing it, and stop whining for such thing

It's not whining, it's discussing.

You must get a better grasp of the English language. Something is not defined as whining merely due to the fact that you don't like or dissagree with the negative critique they are expressing.

Whining is when there is no sollution and a person just re hashes over and over his displeasure with no intention of finding a way around it.

This thread is discussing options etc therefore it's not whining, it's just your lack of a grasp of the lexicon that brings out that response.

I'm sure BIS are aware of the problem because of threads like these and i'm sure they will give extra attention to optimising the game as much as possible. That, plus getting a faster system will go a long way towards mitigating the issue.

Turn Vsync off in your graphics driver settings. I have a 7800GT slightly overclocked and I don't get mouselag on mostly the highest settings.

I guess that comment kinda ends this discussion, there is no mouse lag when you turn this off. There is a max-weapon-movement-speed like in OFP, but you cant call it lag, and its not really noticeable (expect when you want to play the CSS way and turn like a weirdo at every corner tounge2.gif )

it doesnt end the discussion because the discussion isn't about how techinical problems caused mouse lag it's about how the way the gun moves in the tame is terrible. If it was about mouse lad i'd have named the thread 'mouse lag'.

Also, as stated i turned not only v sync off in nvidia settings but just about any graphics feature and it's still laggy and in my and many other players opinion it's neither nice nor enjoyable.

It's not whining, it's discussing.

You must get a better grasp of the English language. Something is not defined as whining merely due to the fact that you don't like or dissagree with the negative critique they are expressing.

Whining is when there is no sollution and a person just re hashes over and over his displeasure with no intention of finding a way around it.

This thread is discussing options etc therefore it's not whining, it's just your lack of a grasp of the lexicon that brings out that response.

I'm sure BIS are aware of the problem because of threads like these and i'm sure they will give extra attention to optimising the game as much as possible. That, plus getting a faster system will go a long way towards mitigating the issue.

maybe i am a little over the edge cause i just sick of ppl whining, both in real life and at this forum

but then i dont think i need to restudy my English, thx, i know perfectly well what whining means mad_o.gif

anyway still cant find anything that could help you out, i have tried ArmA on many different machines, some are more powerful then yours and same are a bit less powerful, all seems fine(atless i cant feel mouse lags at all)  confused_o.gif

Its still mouselag, for whatever reason. Unless you are talking about the movement when, for example, holding(aiming with) a launcher. Thats not mouselag, but digital, linear movement, which sux (but I guess its supposed to give u a disadvantage in mobility when holding a launcher, though I still think its extremely unrealistic).

it doesnt end the discussion because the discussion isn't about how techinical problems caused mouse lag it's about how the way the gun moves in the tame is terrible. If it was about mouse lad i'd have named the thread 'mouse lag'.

Also, as stated i turned not only v sync off in nvidia settings but just about any graphics feature and it's still laggy and in my and many other players opinion it's neither nice nor enjoyable.

Ok then, describe it better please:

Is it 'player moves mouse->x amount of time->gun moves'

Or is it

'player moves mouse at incredibly high speed->gun doesnt move as fast as mouse/compared to other games'

Or something completely else? Ive no idea what this topic is about if it isnt abuot mouse lag? huh.gif

4 in 1: then if you don't need an explaination on the meaning of whining then it's worse as it means you knew it wasn't whining but you decided to characterise it as whining anyway.

I agree with you, it seems the default attitude is whinine in the world these days. However a critical point of view is not whining.

Ofpforum: no one ever said they can't move the mouse at high speed and have the gun follow acordingly. When people try to mischaracterise others statements in that way it shows that they don't really have a counter to their 'actual' point so instead try to distort it then provide a counter to that distortion.

basically, when i pan the mouse left or right, even relativly slowly, the gun is not responsive enough for me to feel that 'i'm' moving the gun. Instead i feel that i'm giving some instructions to the game and some way, some time later i'm seeing it happen on screen. A result of that is there is a lack of emersion.

basically, when i pan the mouse left or right, even relativly slowly, the gun is not responsive enough for me to feel that 'i'm' moving the gun. Instead i feel that i'm giving some instructions to the game and some way, some time later i'm seeing it happen on screen. A result of that is there is a lack of emersion.

Are you talking about the gun model that is reacting too slowly to your mouse movement or are you talking about the target reticle (when not using ironsight).

Both are easily fixed in the options.. The flow of the gun can be adjusted easily without having to mod the game,you just have to edit the option confused_o.gif

Discussion still ongoing?

There's no mouse lag on "normal" gameplay, if you have, then something is "technically" wrong, ie system-wise. I don't have this "feature", sorry