Sign in to follow this  
poitings

Gun view movement is "TERRIBLE"

Trying to work out if Vsync actually helps here (I don't have the option to disable it yet under Windows vista), but the gunsight view definitely lags 1/2 second behind mouse movement on all the systems I've tried so far, across different video cards.

It seems that redraws are prioritized over input adjustments, which is a little odd for a game where reaction speed is a factor.

As soon as I get a driver option to disable vsync, I'll try it out.

Maybe its worse due to settings.

Remove mousesmoothing and mouse acceleration in windows.

Open the registry  HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Control Panel -> Mouse

Change values for SmoothMouseXCurve

Has to look like this:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 a0 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 40 01 00 00 00 00 00

00 80 02 00 00 00 00 00

00 00 05 00 00 00 00 00

SmoothMouseYCurve:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

66 a6 02 00 00 00 00 00

cd 4c 05 00 00 00 00 00

a0 99 0a 00 00 00 00 00

38 33 15 00 00 00 00 00

MouseSpeed, MouseThreshold1 und MouseThreshold2 control mouse accelaration. Set to 0 unless you need/want it.

Get ATI Tray Tools or use driver options to change flip queue size. nVidia controls call it "render pictures ahead" or something.

Set it  = 0 (or 1 if u encounter problems).

Maybe that helps

Difficulty in aiming with ironsights is #1 PROBLEM with this game.

I don't play arcade games, nor do I wish this to be an arcade game. OFP is my all time favorite game, and now ARMA is my new favorite.

But ironsight aiming is extremely frustrating. I should have no problem shooting crouched at targets 50M or less, but the aimpoint sways all over the place. The AI shoot much better than the player at these distances. I have better luck using the reticule crosshairs instead, which is sad for an ironsights game.

I wish BI great success for this game. But I think they will lose appeal (i.e., less sales) with the more casual fan base if they don't fix this.

Awesome game otherwise though!

to expand what Darkreaper posted

combine that with forced tripple buffering

Flip Queue Size set to 2 (3 is default , 0 and 1 lowers FPS and usually difference is so tiny)

and it feels ok

I have to agree that the actual aiming of your weapon is way too 'clunky', it really just IS NOT intuitive at all. I've played with all manner of mouse and sensitivity settings but even when I am in one of the areas where the game runs well aiming still feels like my weapon is floating around in molases. Even the speed you shoulder your rifle in the game is way on the slow slide.

I'm not talking out of my arse either I have been shooting service rifle for nearly 6 years now and I know what it is like to aim and shoot a rifle.

I have to agree that the actual aiming of your weapon is way too 'clunky', it really just IS NOT intuitive at all. I've played with all manner of mouse and sensitivity settings but even when I am in one of the areas where the game runs well aiming still feels like my weapon is floating around in molases. Even the speed you shoulder your rifle in the game is way on the slow slide.

So you havent read the tread yet and you havent changed your vsync setting on your driver options? tounge2.gif

And well, you cant aim as fast as you can move your mouse like in UT or whatever, it could be modded but it would be weird, noone can make a 360 within 0.5 second without any confusion wink_o.gif

So you havent read the tread yet and you havent changed your vsync setting on your driver options? tounge2.gif

And well, you cant aim as fast as you can move your mouse like in UT or whatever, it could be modded but it would be weird, noone can make a 360 within 0.5 second without any confusion wink_o.gif

I'll have to agree with Reddog on this one. I've set vsync to off and it hasn't changed.

Reddogs explanation is spot on. My aiming is very sluggish and if i have to adjust because of a moving target it feels like the weapon weighs a ton. My system specs are not a problem either as i can play this game on full settings with plenty to spare, so it's not a FPS issue.

It's not a 360 turn thats the issue, it's just aiming slightly from left to right or vice versa while looking through the scope/ironsight view.

I'll have to agree with Reddog on this one. I've set vsync to off and it hasn't changed.

Reddogs explanation is spot on. My aiming is very sluggish and if i have to adjust because of a moving target it feels like the weapon weighs a ton. My system specs are not a problem either as i can play this game on full settings with plenty to spare, so it's not a FPS issue.

It's not a 360 turn thats the issue, it's just aiming slightly from left to right or vice versa while looking through the scope/ironsight view.

Ok but its quite hard to understand this problem if you dont experience it..

You mean the delay between the movement of the mouse en the movement of the gun in the game, or that the weapon stops too late even though you already stopped moving your move, or is the actual weapon movement too slow (not the reaction, but the speed the weapon turns?)?

EDIT: I forgot 'render frames ahead' (nvidia with Coolbits (google it) or 'Flip queue size' (Ati) to 0.

delay between the movement of the mouse en the movement of the gun  

the actual weapon movement too slow (not the reaction, but the speed the weapon turns?)?

I would say a combination of both of these but the emphasis is more on the weapon movement itself as it feels too slow.

This only applies when i'm aiming at a target at around 200 metres away.

The best example is in the demo co-op where you see the group of 4-5 opfor when you first head north towards the town. When i engage them from the top of my starting position, this is where i get the sluggish feeling when i'm trying to get my bead on a target.

Actually it could be that i'm just getting used to the aiming again as i havn't played flashpoint in over 3 months. Some FPS games are more responsive than ArmA and maybe that's why this feels sluggish. I've been playing GRAW on the 360 and then i started to play the ArmA demo, that might be the reason  wink_o.gif. I wonder if the others who are getting the same issue have only just started playing ArmA and there not used to the aiming yet. Do you think i'm clutchhing at straws  tounge2.gif

I've had vsync off from day one, in fact it is disabled on my card entirely at the driver level as it causes problems in heaps of games.

The overshooting and delayed movement is the bulk of the problem, if it's a bug it needs to be fixed, if it's intentional then I must say that it was coded by someone who's never fired a weapon in reality. Guns have weight and momentum yes, but your average 3.5-5Kg rifle does not have enough to cause an effect like we see in this game when you try to rapidly pan to another target. An 8Kg weapon like the M249? Maybe, I dunno I haven't fired anything that heavy.

Yes you should not be able to do a 180 instant spinneroony like you can in most shooters with your sights stable, but if the way it's set up in ArmA is an attempt to counter this it is extremely poor.

A much better option is to have your sights go out of alignment when you try to pan at too great a speed and settle once you stop, how's that for simple?

The overshooting and delayed movement is the bulk of the problem, if it's a bug it needs to be fixed, if it's intentional then I must say that it was coded by someone who's never fired a weapon in reality. Guns have weight and momentum yes, but your average 3.5-5Kg rifle does not have enough to cause an effect like we see in this game when you try to rapidly pan to another target. An 8Kg weapon like the M249? Maybe, I dunno I haven't fired anything that heavy.

Well, i had it when i started playing and IMO it was so bad that it was a reason to trow the game in the garbage can, so if you have it just as bad as i had then i admire your persistence. smile_o.gif

I just fiddled with my settings and found out thats either caused by the vsync (forced off), or by the 'flip queue size' (Ati)//render frames ahead (nVidia with coolbits) (forced to 0), or the combination of these settings. Ive no idea what else could cause it confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]A much better option is to have your sights go out of alignment when you try to pan at too great a speed and settle once you stop, how's that for simple?

They already do that?

i get it in lowest or highest setting, i am very dissapointed a PC of my spec struggles on default gfx settings:

Athlon 4400+ Dual-Core

2gig (2x1gig) Corsair

SATA2 16mb cache HDD

WinXP SP2

8800GTS

engines a right pig lol.