Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

To the people who are playing ArmA, how is it?

bought a new pc just for this game and still 20 fps in a normal woodland area with normal settings.

Specs : ATI HIS IceQ x1950 256mb

3.4ghz Pentium D processor

1 Stick of TwinMoS 1GB Ram

is there any tweaks for higher fps?

What kind of graphic card do you have?

Can you give us some more details about the computer you bought?

Im looking for a new computer too so it would be nice if you could give us some more details.

I decided to buy GF7600GT 256 for my computer. I choosed this card over the X850Pro.

Does the AI is better at moving indoor now?

no,they shoot thru the floors above, sad_o.gif

i made a hotel mission,

but the game is so bugged,the snipers on the roof lay down and can shot you approaching,yet maintain cover from the wall infront of them.

then you get in the building,and they shot from the floor above,thru the floor to below where you are.

icon_rolleyes.gif ..list of bugs longer than my arm sad_o.gif

support for patches is good,but then it needs to be with such an underveloped game..

GER/CH welcome to being there beta testers.

pwnd

bought a new pc just for this game and still 20 fps in a normal woodland area with normal settings.

Specs : ATI HIS IceQ x1950 256mb

3.4ghz Pentium D processor

1 Stick of TwinMoS 1GB Ram

is there any tweaks for higher fps?

Having only one stick of RAM may well be your problem, unless the ram runs at 800 mhz (which is unlikely).

Buying a second stick of RAM, making sure everything runs in Dual channel, may seriously help your performance.

Spotted this on Armedassault.com

Quote[/b] ]Combat:

Ambushing an enemy with the sun in your eyes leaves you at the disadvantage thanks to ArmA HDR Lighting effects.

The other way around HDR doesn't do shit right?

The AI isn't effected by it, and aims as good as we do with the sun in our back right?

The only thing i can think of is my DVD/CD ROM Drive and Hard Disk are IDE and are set as master and slave on the same IDE cable till i can get a PCI to IDE and have them on seperate cables (Monday 2moro)

Agree with the grass comments,it hinders your view for shooting through,but not the Ai's for blowing your brains out or dropping a grenade in your lap sad_o.gif ,

I like the way the AI will flank,provide cover for each other etc,I had a very nice little tense battle where I was concealed in a sandbag/bunker/armoury thingy all on my lonesome during the "great battle" mission and the AI would sacrifice one guy so I would come out of cover to get blasted by all the rest,

I'm disappointed by the amount of "Non interactive" tanks,choppers etc in main campaign,one of my fave things from OPF from the start has been the ability to hop into an unoccupied tank and raise merry hell,but a few times during the main I ran through enemy fire etc to an unoccupied tank+couldnt get in pistols.gif

I'm downloading the 1.02 cz patch now and will see what effect it has on chopper controls,cos atm its like trying to thread a needle in a wind tunnel to fly,its possible,but VERY hairy at times,

the engine is solid,its all there for you excellent modders to get to grips with and make some wicked campaigns missions etc yay.gif ,

I get 30 odd frames a sec on a core 2 duo e6600 running at 3gbs with a 7900gtx and 3 gigs of corsair with all settings on high,or very high,would like to be able to remove grass completely as its an unfair,un needed advantage to the AI,

And I dont think anyone else has mentioned this(I could be wrong)but unless you get an absolute dead on shot with an RPG,M136 etc on a human they shrug them off,there seems to be no "splash damage" at all,

I dont know whether thats more or less realistic,I just know that an RPG round exploding 2 feet away from your toes should do more than mess up your hair... icon_rolleyes.gif

One more thing I found out today. Bullet pentrating wood happens only to wodden houses. I found a wodden ramp and no bullets would go through it.

I recently bought the Czech download version, patched to 1.2 and english (kudos to Sickboy)

For those who wonder if it will run on their comp, let me say that I have an almost 5 years old Athlon 2000+/2GB RAM/G6600GT and it does run on it.

Granted I run most things at low settings (except anisotropic at normal, which makes a big difference visually) but I get a very decent framerate @ 1024*768 in the editor, flying around in choppers etc... even in the forests (shadows set to low but still here).

And let me say one thing : even at the (almost) lowest settings it still look pretty damn good, and a lot better than OFP, IMHO. I'm happy and spend hours touring the island for fun on foot, car, plane etc...

On the Dark side : it crashes on me now and then (maybe due to the -maxmem thing ) for no apparent reason, and in the campain the framerate drops and I get some textures disappearing completely or loading a bad LOD. I also had weird visual artifacts (blue triangles) flashing all over the screen, but with my latest settings I didn't notice them lately.

I feel the engine code is pretty optimized, and it does work at minimum specs as advertized, but it still lack stability.  I really feel the potencial and have a lot of fun wandering around, but I'll wait a bit more continue the campain and other missions.

My 2 cents, over.

Quote[/b] ]I found a wodden ramp and no bullets would go through it.

OMG !!!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Basics:

Penetration is not material defined in Arma but object-related.

They missed an object ?

OMG

Seriously, report it to the buglist and rest your microsearch for things that you could point your finger on. It´s getting boring.

At least I don't have any warnings yet and you don't see me acting like an idiot around here.

smile_o.gif

At least I don't have any warnings yet and you don't see me acting like an idiot around here.

smile_o.gif

Well, posting very minor bugs over and over in the wrong threads makes many of us wonder about the way you act - along with your constant hostility to MANY forum users. I think many of us wish you were issued a band.gif

Back on topic: I've been trying to explain to my friends at work just how cool this game is but i'm at a loss of words when trying to describe how limitless the possibilities are. So last night I created a FRAPS video of me going from vehicle to vehicle driving all over sahari blowing things up. After I showed a couple co-workers I could see the drool spilling out of their mouth. When I told them it only took me a half hour to setup everything in the mission editor they started asking if you could do this or that. Most of the answers were yeah you can do that and they almost started doing the pee-pee dance.

If you have some friends that you think would like the game but just don't get it I recommend setting up something in the mission editor and showing them your own little demo. The gaem practicaly sells it's self! smile_o.gif

Stealth3 WL +1 for flaming lets put an end to the name calling.

1.02 seemed to have really improved ArmA's performance on my computer and the helo flight physics are vastly improved but still not quite there.

I hereby update my initial score of 5/10 to 7/10...

pee-pee dance

I'd be very interested to learn what the pee-pee dance might be like. Please do tell.

I've been mulling upgrading my pc over in order to get ArmA but its going to take too much cash as it basically all needs doing. the only thing I would be able to upgrade at the moment is the gfx card, and the one I'm looking at is a Geforce 7600GS 512mb. Is anyone using one of these with decent results?

The rest of my specs

AMD Athlon 2.13ghz

1.5Gb RAM

Am I going to be able to get anything decent from the game, or should I stick with OFP?

Wait for the demo and see for yourself smile_o.gif

I'd say your cpu might have to retire.

Well, i have a P4 2.4Ghz with 512 RAM and a GF6600 LE 128MB and it runs the game but it's not pretty... lol

i REALLY didnt like it at first. specially the helo "issue".

the glitz n glamour of the updated "this an that, an graphical whatevers" got me all hyped up before i bought it. seeing all these bug issues, before, and after purchase got me ticked off. i made a post or two with some threads about my unhappyness.

but now that i got my track-IR working again, ive settled in quite nicely.

i take the game for what it is at face value. knowing that NOT every glaring or microscopic issue can EVER be properly fixed in any game (something will always be wrong/off/imperfect)). knowing this, ive learned to accept that this is what i have to play with, take it or leave it, and just learn to adapt until other patches come out. then ill have to adapt again.

no biggie.

im having a f#cking blast!

I've been mulling upgrading my pc over in order to get ArmA but its going to take too much cash as it basically all needs doing. the only thing I would be able to upgrade at the moment is the gfx card, and the one I'm looking at is a Geforce 7600GS 512mb. Is anyone using one of these with decent results?

The rest of my specs

AMD Athlon 2.13ghz

1.5Gb RAM

Am I going to be able to get anything decent from the game, or should I stick with OFP?

CPU is fairly weak. RAM is ok. A card like the 7600GS (GT?) is perhaps your only upgrade option.

My 7600GT (which could be too powerful for your cpu) surprised me by making ArmA look very decent (see the sig).

I'm aware that my current cpu isn't great, but rather than spend £650 on a completely new setup *just* to play ArmA, I'm hoping to get a bit of longevity by replacing my gfx card for £100 which may or may not help out playing other games as well ie OFP.

Unfortunately, I can't in all good conscience spend a whole load of cash on a new pc to play one game, when i need to do up my house, fix my car etc.

I'm aware that my current cpu isn't great, but rather than spend £650 on a completely new setup *just* to play ArmA, I'm hoping to get a bit of longevity by replacing my gfx card for £100 which may or may not help out playing other games as well ie OFP.

Unfortunately, I can't in all good conscience spend a whole load of cash on a new pc to play one game, when i need to do up my house, fix my car etc.

Go for the 7600GS, i think you can enjoy ArmA reasonably well (make sure your XP is as clean as possible, e.g. see my sig for enditall2 util)

Edit: Other games surely will benifit (CoD, GRAW, BF2 etc..) ArmA is probably the 'heaviest' game you will play.

Have fun with the game and wait for better financial times for a new pc ... i'm in the same boat:)