Sign in to follow this  
rµm

Faces / Uniforms

Hey Ian, Could u test this, i just wana see it ingame so i can edit it.. i couldn't bothered and lack of time to get side shots of my head. first time attempt too i just wana see what it looks like.

My Face

I'm not Ian, but I gave it a try.

You should "smooth" the edges of your face so it matches the color tone of the original face a little more.

You aslo should try to match the color on the nose texture to your skin color otherwise it will stick out (same for the ears)

That's the only advice I can give for now, since I'm a starter on this sector as well smile_o.gif

Hope you'll see it in the pics

mattrochellexl7.jpg

mattrochelle2qt9.jpg

mattrochelle3vf6.jpg

Could any of you image editing gurus create a camo face for me?

Something like that (with diagonal stripes in black, greenish groundcolor)

Quote[/b] ]

Could any of you image editing gurus create a camo face for me?

Something like that (with diagonal stripes in black, greenish groundcolor)

faceqv1.th.jpg

I'm actually not a guru (only started yesterday) but this is a face I'm working on. I still consider it pre-beta smile_o.gif

It comes with Nomex style gloves as well.

I also used it in a couple of shots in the ArmA photography thread.

Be aware that you can't use it in MP though because it's pretty big. To use it in MP you have to try to get it under 100kb.

Edit:Oh and don't forget to rename it to face.jpg

Edit2: It actually lokks different ingame, incase you're scared by what it looks like in the image smile_o.gif

A friend of mine ask me to do his face..the result is no bad I think.

face1.jpg

ah btw..I made a little pbo for my custom faces and when load the mission in editor error message pop up..config wrong maybe ..apart the message the pbo work.

this message

arma%20_error.jpg

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgPatches {

class myfaces {

units = {};

weapons = {};

requiredVersion = 0.100000;

};

};

class CfgFaces {

class Man {

class pface01 {

name = "MarK B.";

texture = "\myfaces\cuf\pizzo_01.paa";

east = 1;

west = 1;

};

};

};

I post here this,because don't want open a new topic,if someone can help!! smile_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgPatches {

class myfaces {

units[] = {};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.100000;

};

};

class CfgFaces {

class Man {

class pface01 {

name = "MarK B.";

texture = "\myfaces\cuf\pizzo_01.paa";

east = 1;

west = 1;

};

};

};

I added [] behind units and weapons.

Maybe this will help, I'm working on this as well, haven't gotten it ingame yet because I keep getting an error when I try to do the config.bin.

Actually I have to thank you.

Using your config template (with my fix wink_o.gif ) finally solved my error as well and works ingame.

It's now 2am, I couldn't get to bed before I fixed the issue biggrin_o.gif

Was trying stuff for an hour now (or even longer I have no feeling for time anymore...)

Nice work Peanut !

Just as some suggestion, you seem to use Hatch Nomex® gloves (the same I have).

I guess it's easy to add the padding on top: Here

Nice work Peanut !

Just as some suggestion, you seem to use Hatch Nomex® gloves (the same I have).

I guess it's easy to add the padding on top: Here

Thanks,

yeah I used the canadian equivalent (since they are similar but have some more leather covering the small finger as well, the new german army ones look similar to nomex ones as well) as a base. As of now I rely heavily on copy&paste and clone tooling and the canadian gloves where the best pic for this smile_o.gif . I will try to add the padding in the future. I just started "texturing" the day before yesterday and I'm learning something new pretty much every minute. smile_o.gif

Found out, that the gloves look strange on bare arms. They do not look real either. Maybe due to file size reduction (which did not help in connecting to servers).

However, the wrist part is corrupted.

But still a nice camo face. If I only knew, what the limit for custom face file size for most servers is...

Found out, that the gloves look strange on bare arms. They do not look real either. Maybe due to file size reduction (which did not help in connecting to servers).

However, the wrist part is corrupted.

But still a nice camo face. If I only knew, what the limit for custom face file size for most servers is...

yeah the gloves are quite light in game and the wrist part is pretty bad. I just noticed it as well, but it's an alpha-version anyway smile_o.gif

BTW I based them on this pair

Canadian Gloves

Will work on it today, first I have to find out why my customfaces. pbo isn't working anymore ingame. I pretty sure it did tonight.

Edit: Can't help you with getting the face to work online. All I know is that you have to decrease the quality until you're getting the file to be under 100kb. <s> Do not change the proportions, they have to stay at 1024x1024</s>. It seems you can change them to 512x512 aswell wink_o.gif. Wouldn't it be possbile to do 2048x2048 or 256x256-ones as well? JUst hypothetically of course smile_o.gif I havn't tried online gaming with ArmA yet so that's as far as I can help you with this .

Do not change the proportions, they have to stay at 1024x1024. I havn't try online gaming with ArmA yet so that's as far as I can help you with this .

Not true! I changed my face to 512x512 and sharpened it a bit instead. Looks (IMO) better than 1024x1024 with too big compression. Most of the people doesn't have textures set at max resolution anyway :P

Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't it be possbile to do 2048x2048 or 256x256-ones as well? JUst hypothetically of course smile_o.gif I havn't tried online gaming with ArmA yet so that's as far as I can help you with this .

Sure it would wink_o.gif

I´ve tried to make my face with no success...all versions look like freakazoids.

Aimpoint´s face of his friend´s looks excellent!!!

If possible, could some of you face-artists publish your facetemplates so we not so talented would have more base templates to use...I personally don´t like the BIS-skinhead template. huh.gif

Nice job!

Any tips for those of us new to photo editing? I have a good tool (Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo Editor), and have worked for hours on my custom face. But I have a few problems:

1. Black edges around my eyes.

2. The face on the jpeg looks like me. The face in game looks I painted my face colors on someone else's face structure (i.e., it doesn't look much like me).

Any ideas how I can improve this?

Thanks!

2. The face on the jpeg looks like me. The face in game looks I painted my face colors on someone else's face structure (i.e., it doesn't look much like me).

I guess your main problem is normalmap, wich is kind of "overriding" the color map. I think you can't do anything with it.

Ian,

I don't understand your comment regarding "normal map" vs. "color map"....

Are you saying it is a limitation of my graphics card or graphics settings in the game?

Thanks,

John

Is there a step by step tutorial I can use to create my own face.jpg

If not would some mind importing my ugly mug into a face.jpg so I can use it ingame?

I'm still trying to figure out how to UV Map or get the flattened image of my face. I've downloaded corel photo XI

and I'm still not understanding the basics of how to import my own face ingame. help.gifbanghead.gif

Yeah, me too - a tutorial would be very helpful.

I'm not new to Photoshopping pics 'n stuff, but not a pro.

I've spent about 4-5 hours retouching my face.jpg and the result was, to be mild, unsatifying.

I even tested pasting my old face.jpg (only the face, not all) into the new, but it still looks crappy. I Don't know anything about the heightmapping-stuff - what do I have to do there, how is it implemented in a single-layer-jpg?

BTW:

My personal face's geometry is a lot different from the one the mesh in OFP is using, so if I'm lowering the height (what's the opposite of "to stretch??) of my head to fit the mesh it doesn't really look like me. Or is it streched again in the game?

Hope you know something...

Pollux77

I don't understand your comment regarding "normal map" vs. "color map"....

Are you saying it is a limitation of my graphics card or graphics settings in the game?

What he is saying is, that colormap (the only map wich you can change) is only part of the final result.

Face with colormap and normalmap looks like this:

face_NO_CO.jpg

Familiar, isn't it? smile_o.gif

But if you'll remove the colormap, face will still keep a lots of details which are affecting the final appearence:

face_NO.jpg

And even when you'll remove the normalmap, the face is still keeping its shape:

face.jpg

So even if you'll make the greatest colormap ever, it cannot completely change the basic look of the face.

My custom face is very bright ingame. It is weird looking. If i darken the face to look normal, i get a lot of artefact. Any idea?

(i play in the game in low, maybe that is, but other face look normal).

My custom face is very bright ingame. It is weird looking. If i darken the face to look normal, i get a lot of artefact. Any idea?

(i play in the game in low, maybe that is, but other face look normal).

I bet you are using JPG and you have ATI card. Am I right? There seems to be some kind of bug in rendering JPG images on ATI cards, making them a lot brighter then they actually are sad_o.gif