Sign in to follow this  
chipper

Online Distribution System - Confirmed

I was browsing the ArmA gamespot forums and I found recent posts by Placebo confirming that online distribution will be there for ArmA.

Link to posts on gamespot forums.

Placebo

Quote[/b] ]Forgive the c&p but my form answer to questions about releases in currently unsigned regions:

Due to us being unable to find a global publisher we're having to sign region by region, so far signed regions are: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Russia and Germany. Obviously we hope to sign to a publisher for every region so that ArmA can be distributed in box form onto shelves in retail game stores, but we will also be arranging for ArmA to be distributed digitally online so that people who choose to can pay online and then download ArmA direct to their PC.

Current announced release dates are:

Austria 30/11/06

Czech Republic 10/11/06

Germany 30/11/06

Poland 10/11/06

Switzerland 30/11/06

Slovakia 10/11/06

Placebo

Quote[/b] ]pjc1506 wrote:

Will they be in English as well as country language?

My guess would be (I'll need to confirm later) that the digital version will be available in all languages covered by the retail agreements, so yes English as well as other languages such as Russian, Czech, Polish etc. will be available in the downloadable version, but note that has to be confirmed when we announce details of the online distribution system.

IIRC he posted the same thing a while back on these forums, but people must have been to busy talking about inverted shoulderflagthingys whistle.gif

Im sure lots and lots of people want ARMA in a BOX.

jepp even if i have to buy it online i will buy the box when i can

Nice. I wonder it will cost less without the box and stuff.

Why the silly emoticon? (this one: icon6.gif, wtf it's even supposed to express)

I hope it is on steam, personally. There was actually a bit of interest in the steampowered forums about this game, from CS players!

Quote[/b] ]Due to us being unable to find a global publisher we're having to sign region by region, so far signed regions are: Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Russia and Germany. Obviously we hope to sign to a publisher for every region so that ArmA can be distributed in box form onto shelves in retail game stores, but we will also be arranging for ArmA to be distributed digitally online so that people who choose to can pay online and then download ArmA direct to their PC.

Is ArmA publisher for online distribution BIS/IDEA themselves ?

I ask this question in relation to "the copy protection is decided by the publisher", being very concerned by this point to know from where i will buy the game.

I hope it is on steam, personally. There was actually a bit of interest in the steampowered forums about this game, from CS players!

god help OFP multiplayer if this is true crazy_o.gif

I hope there would be an option to buy both (With a resonable price), so you can order a boxed copy by mail and while waiting download a copy too, like you can do with upcoming Defcon.

And the online distribution system should preferably be something custom made and simple, like Live for Speed has that doesn't require any extra junk running or installed, is simple to use and doesn't interfere with anything else you do (Like for example Starforce and TryMedia ActiveMark do).

Im hopeing that with Arma getting noticed some more publishers will be inteligent enough not to let a pearl slip...

So does this mean that anyone in the world will get to download Armed Assault November 10th? (english version?)

No, but it might. It's more likely that it will be around the german release date.

Im hopeing that with Arma getting noticed some more publishers will be inteligent enough not to let a pearl slip...

Well the big problem as everyone knows, at least here in America, is that Operation Flashpoint really did not sell all that well. It was a much more popular game in Europe. So its probly a hard sell to a publisher with Armed Assult being Flashpoint on steroids.

If it happened to be published in North America... I would bet money it will not sell too well. Becuase the NA gameing community is full of gamers who are in love with run and gun games like Counter Strike, Call of Duty, and BF2. They tend to shy away from realistic FPS's that actually make you think. Thats why games like OFP and SWAT sell poorly here... not to say it wouldn't sell at all, but it would like be far from a top seller.

But hey, at least with online distribution the game will be available, even if there isn't a publisher for every region.

Thats CRAP news  mad_o.gif

This is virtual suicide for Armed Assault, extremely inconvienient. Not everyone has Broadband and i'm certainly not buying 6 copies of it via steam just to play Lan.

A really stupid move by Bohemia Interactive.

This is virtual suicide for Armed Assault, extremely inconvienient. Not everyone has Broadband and i'm certainly not buying 6 copies of it via steam just to play Lan.

Yeah, just look at red orchestra, now there's a devastating failure. icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously, it will be available in boxes for you plastic/cardboard fetishists. wink_o.gif

How the hell could it possibly be a negative? They never said it would be their sole solution for release in those other regions... If anything, I percieve it as a temporary (an effective) solution to what could be even worse had they not done it. To each their own, I guess...

I will be downloading ArmA the millisecond it is avaliable,

- dRb

P.S. Who actually said anything about steam? WTF!? Why does everyone automatically associate digital distribution with steam!?

So does this mean that anyone in the world will get to download Armed Assault November 10th? (english version?)

No, but it might. It's more likely that it will be around the german release date.

i hope not or ill be traveling to chezh land on 11th tounge2.gif

Yeah I hope they release their information on this soon, cause I will be dling as well, and am very excited since reading this....i like stuff in the box, but for ArmA i'll take it.

As long as you can buy boxed version (hopefully in retail shops) I like the idea of online distribution as long as it isn't Steam because you need to run Steam to run the game :/.

As long as you can buy boxed version (hopefully in retail shops) I like the idea of online distribution as long as it isn't Steam because you need to run Steam to run the game :/.

(in retail shops) that means it would take a while to hit the shopps no?

Why does everyone automatically associate digital distribution with steam!?

Good PR.

....yes, i realise it's ironic.

rather online that no distrubution. I just have to ask someone i know that has a Visa or something to help me out buying it.. crazy_o.gif