Sign in to follow this  
Guest [B.B.S.] T_D

German Publisher

Quote[/b] ]So, just to confirm - if it shows up on shelves in Germany I can order it online and this version will still have the English language selection while bought in Germany?

This is just speculation , but as i wrote before , the german OFP was multilingual. Spoken language was english , only with _optional_ german (spanish, french, etc) subtitles.

But afaik the localization belngs to the publishers , so we won't know until the PB gives a statement.

If there would be a german only version (which could be ordered online) with a possible english version still months away, who of you die-hards could resist buying the freaking german version, even if you couldn't understand sh*t:):)

I would ordered it the minute it becomes available, whatever language.

Jeez, the price seems to be only 30$/30E or something. Ppl are discussing hw upgrades tenfold of this price.

Sometimes i just don't understand the priorities of some ppl.

(Anyway, i guess the whole thing will be available in english the moment of release, whatever country)

So this publisher, anyone knows anything about it?

How big it is, how much money can it afford to invest in ArmA promotion?

Well, I have never heard of this publisher and their portofolio isn't very big - the only games I know or ever played was the UFO series and I didn't even now that morphicon or Peter Games (Homepage Title) was the publisher.

But hey, every company has to start at some point, and BIS wasn't a big company when creating OFP, too. On the other hand, people will buy games when those games get a good rating in the reviews of the pc magazines, not when they see a big advertisement filling one or two pages of a magazine.

Well, first of all, there is no censorship in germany
<ul>

[*]Command & Conquer banned in Germany, claiming too realistic warfare. A special version using robots instead of humans, however, is legal.

[*]The Blitzkrieg add-on "Stalingrad" was banned in Germany for containing realistic Nazi swastika flags on ground and tanks, and realistic medals with swastikas. A localised version without swastikas was released instead.

[*]Doom 1 and 2 are banned in Germany.

[*]Quake 1, 2 and 3 are banned in Germany. Quake 4 was released in a heavily cut form.

[*]Return to Castle Wolfenstein was banned in Germany. A localised version without swastikas and a heavily modified story was released.

[*]Spear of Destiny and its sequel Wolf 3D were banned in Germany.

Quote[/b] ]On a different note do you, guys think that the reason AA still isn't getting a North American distributor is because of the monopoly such monsters as EA put on the market? EA just wants no competition to their Battlefield series. Because face it graphically Battlefield will suck in comparison to the new AA/OFP graphics. AA has all that Battlefield does and more.

Erm, EA does not have a monopoly in North America and they are obviously not afraid of a game that will limit itself to a cult following community. In fact, most gamers and the press don't even care about the release of Armed Assault.

In fact Battlefield 2 has sold 2,250,000 copies worldwide, as of July 2006 so it's far from a failure. rofl.gif

For the main subject, I'l call it a victory when they will find a North American publisher. I personally never heard of Morphicon before and their portfolio is seriously lacking.

Couldn't they just ask Activision, Take-Two, Electronic Arts, CDV, Ubisoft, Codemasters to publish it ? We need big international players in the publishing field.

just not true , IIRC the new law was passed 2004... since then there is no more censorship or banning, except for games that violate the law . (for example swastikas are forbidden in germany for obvious reasons ,except for documentaries and such stuff)

And btw Q4 was not one bit cut , i have bought it in germany and all i had to do , was showing my ID, so they knew i was adult.

Pointless to screw around the issue . OFP was not cut and ArmA won't be.

It doesn't really matter in what language you buy ArmA or atm OFP/VBS imho.

All you do is replace your voice.pbo and your stringtable and you got whatever language you want... And I bet it will be pretty much the same in ArmA.

As for the rating in germany, never mind that. ArmA ain't not as bad as that they would soft it down to a useless level. It's games that show pure core that are put on the shelf with the +18 label on them.

I still want to hear it from the PR department. Until then this is speculation... band.gif

I'm not surprised that BI is having trouble finding a publisher. They're a relatively obscure development company. The gamers that have even heard of OFP are a minority. The game sold well enough, but its lack of advertising meant that its success passed more quietly than it should have. The first time I saw OFP it was not on a TV advert, but on an empty shelf since it was one of the few remaining games left in the store that no one had bought yet. Everyone has heard of Battlefield, Quake, and Half-Life. But Flashpoint? Those people are much harder to come by.

I'm not surprised that BI is having trouble finding a publisher. They're a relatively obscure development company. The gamers that have even heard of OFP are a minority. The game sold well enough, but its lack of advertising meant that its success passed more quietly than it should have. The first time I saw OFP it was not on a TV advert, but on an empty shelf since it was one of the few remaining games left in the store that no one had bought yet. Everyone has heard of Battlefield, Quake, and Half-Life. But Flashpoint? Those people are much harder to come by.

Sad but true.

Mainstream games are for gfx whores and teenagers. Those sell.

T_D @ Aug. 22 2006,11:23)]The german website Gamestar.de wrote that the publisher Morphicon will publish ArmA in Germany. I just want to have convinced that by an official.

will they use starforce?

Starfoce dies more and more, Ubisoft for example don't want to use Starforce anymore....

Problem: UFO Aftershock from Morphicom had Starforce 3 .... confused_o.gif

Starfoce dies more and more, Ubisoft for example don't want to use Starforce anymore....

I wont install software using starforce.

I would prefer something else protection too, but if it turns out to be some version of starforce i don't mind.

I own couple SF games SH3 & LockonFC and both work just fine.

Only negative thing i can think of is that you have to reboot after install.

Problem: UFO Aftershock from Morphicom had Starforce 3 ....  confused_o.gif

I would prefer something else protection too, but if it turns out to be some version of starforce i don't mind.

I own couple SF games SH3 & LockonFC and both work just fine.

Only negative thing i can think of is that you have to reboot after install.

And the fact that it installs a hack that reaches all the way to the deepest depths of your system.. oh well, it's not like there are no people capable of making these problems.. go away. whistle.gif

To the localisation:

It would be enough if english is the only supported language, for copys for the german market. Better that than a half localized version.

To Starforce:

I have Race Driver 2 and xł installed on my system. That means i have Starforce installed on my system. What bothers me on Starforce is, sometimes it will not start the game, and it tells me the original disc is not inserted. Other games, originals of course, never had problems with the "starforce drivers".

I'm not surprised that BI is having trouble finding a publisher.  They're a relatively obscure development company.  The gamers that have even heard of OFP are a minority.  The game sold well enough, but its lack of advertising meant that its success passed more quietly than it should have.  The first time I saw OFP it was not on a TV advert, but on an empty shelf since it was one of the few remaining games left in the store that no one had bought yet.  Everyone has heard of Battlefield, Quake, and Half-Life.  But Flashpoint?  Those people are much harder to come by.

Sad but true.

Mainstream games are for gfx whores and teenagers. Those sell.

The problem is that OFP,  Elite and Arma are sold with a 'mainstream' pricetag.

I read that ArmA will sell for 30-40$. That is completely ridiculous. A game which offers so much (there are ppl who play only this game for months ... years;) ... Bis should sell ArmA for 5 fold the price to compensate for the lower sales which go with the fact that ArmA is a game made for a select few of hard-core gamers.

I'm sure every hard-core OFP gamer has no trouble to pay 150$ for the ArmA package. Hell most of us upgrade and TrackIR our hw just for ArmA:)

(Ok, perhaps i'm only half serious here, but i'm sure ppl will see my point. I'm happy with a 40$ price tag, but c'mon it is as if BIS is giving the game away for free)

yup, that goes without saying.

I'm sure every hard-core OFP gamer has no trouble to pay 150$ for the ArmA package. Hell most of us upgrade and TrackIR our hw just for ArmA:)

I have already bought TrackIR ONLY for ArmA and right now I don't use it (it is waiting for at least a demo). And it is true, that 150 for arma also not a problem for me. biggrin_o.gif (but this price should include some kind of comprehensive field manual and a real map of Sahrani tounge2.gif)

@Mathieu.Trudelle:

Well, I don't know, but did you know that the swatiska was used by the Nazitroops. I can understand that it is not allowed to use the symbol of such groups which did horrible things are banned from every media here in this country.

The localized version of C&C had so called cyborgs instead of humans, yes. But they had the same icon in the build menu, the same model in the game and just a different name, but no blood and stuff.

However, I encourage you to read my whole post.

As I said, those games are not allowed to get advertised, showed to the public and sold to teenagers which haven't are not 18 or older. I can even show you a pic from my original english Quake 3 Arena Box (yeah, I played it sad_o.gif) which I bought legaly in a german mail order shop after the game has been put on the index (which is still not a bannishment from the market).

edited to be more ontopic:

I'm with Espectro on the starforce issue.

I won't buy a game if it includes starforce, even if it is Armed Assault.

so we have to wait till this friday for more info about this publisher?

Eh yeah sure... never in my life I'm gonna pay 150$ for a computer game.

Eh yeah sure... never in my life I'm gonna pay 150$ for a computer game.

I was referring to the hard-core OFP gamer

Well, I don't know, but did you know that the swatiska was used by the Nazitroops. I can understand that it is not allowed to use the symbol of such groups which did horrible things are banned from every media here in this country.

Imho the schizophrenia is, that you can have those symbols nailed to the walls of your home, since only advertising, trading and flaunting is strictly forbidden by Germany's law.

However, the problem with the folks who are not living in Germany is, that they can't comprehend that the germans became more than semi-pacifists during the years, the occupying forces have dictacted the german fate. I don't want to blame that fact, by no means, as that country desperately needed denazification. So, after causing a genozide of that dimension, and the countless homicides, we think more than twice before equipping soldiers again, sending them to what location soever and following führers blindly. We do not glorify soldiers, devastations, wars and violences anymore. We see war as the worst solution and therefore you won't find any excessive violence in german media, unless it is historical or fictional (sci-fi, splatter). Laugh at it, but don't complain about that history driven german quirk. wink_o.gif

This topic's getting a little off track.