Sign in to follow this  
.kju

WarGames League v.5 (WGL 5) Full Release

works fine again here. can anyone confirm this please.

(though i guess the other problem that the site isnt reachable for certain IPs isnt solved yet - reports welcome !)

Hi all,

I can't copy the wgl_sound.pbo because the file is corrupt sad_o.gif

and in the game there is no sound.

good work on the mod, hopefully we'll get more players on zeus now :P. As for download links, Try OFP.info, it has 2 that work.

Just playing Retaliation campaign with this, simply amazing, I cant think of anything that has changed OFP's feel so much since I tried out Y2K3 (first Total Conversion for OFP I tried) notworthy.gif

@tpM_91:

can you please tell me from what source you have downloaded the file and roughly what time and day - thanks !

How do you use the dragoneye UAV? Is there anyway to make it work like the UAV in FDF?

read the readme carefully if you are talking about the dragonwarrier UAV. You need to add a line to the description.ext file to make it work. Then just walk up to the UAV and launch.

I posted the same question on the official WGL website, and according to Q, it was removed.

Maybe you are thinking of an older version?

Thanks anyways, though.

@tpM_91:

can you please tell me from what source you have downloaded the file and roughly what time and day - thanks !

Hi,

downloaded from ofp.info both FTPs

at June.20th, 20.00 hrs

I saw the announcement about the latest release of the mod and I immediately jumped at the opportunity, downloading both the core and the additional files. biggrin_o.gif To my astonishment and deep disappointment I spent in vain yhe whole afternoon, trying to get the texture and vegetations replacements working - just to no result at all. What went easy with FFUR and any other replacement files, patches and addons, does not apply to the latest WGL banghead.gif What the heck?!! ... First of all, the instruction on getting them replacement is pretty rough to handle and vague at some points at least, forcing me to use my favorite mad_o.gif trial & error method. ... And it still does not work! I am not a newbie, I've been using a lot of custom modifications and the mod folders lately, but I am in the green when it comes to WGL 0.5. crazy_o.gif I was really looking forward to play, but now I am ending up frustrated and annoyed. How to get it done and working? Anobody? ...

1 question:is wgl 5 mod like ECP in metter they add more realism,effects... but its still using old textures,weapons and units?

Sorry to hear that burroughs !

I wont make it tonight, yet i will add a section to the wiki for a step by step installation for the replacment packs.

A bit of patience please. smile_o.gif

(Note that any specific comments or suggestions about the current readmes are welcome ! )

Well in order to make your mod even better, it thought I post some bugs.

-Apache indirect fire doenst really work well, sometimes its on the target, but most of the time it will hit the ground around 100 meters enfront of the chopper.

-There's always a bomb hanging under the a10, even with the canon version.

-Su 25, bombs just fall out of the plane, nothing hangs under the wing as it should be.

Well there is a big chance you already knew of these things, but I thought maby it would help.

And a question, there is a lot of documentation with the mod, but where is the readme with the explanation of the mortar and other scripts. Thanks in advance.

biggrin_o.gif

PS: WGL made me really happy!

1 question:is wgl 5 mod like ECP in metter they add more realism,effects... but its still using old textures,weapons and units?

It is very much like ECP in several ways - we haven't changed the stock BIS units and there are a few new effects.

However, there are also new units, vehicles and weapons in there, many with new models. The models were however not chosen or made for "prettiness" (with a few exceptions).

One can get better soldier models by adding a few addons from the DMA Army or Naval packs. A step-by-step HOWTO instruction for that is in the making.

WGL5 is the non-shiny, dusty mod. If we could model more mud and dirt, I'd put it in wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Well in order to make your mod even better, it thought I post some bugs.

-Apache indirect fire doenst really work well, sometimes its on the target, but most of the time it will hit the ground around 100 meters enfront of the chopper.

-There's always a bomb hanging under the a10, even with the canon version.

-Su 25, bombs just fall out of the plane, nothing hangs under the wing as it should be.

Yep, all of those things are wonky at the moment. whistle.gif
Quote[/b] ]And a question, there is a lot of documentation with the mod, but where is the readme with the explanation of the mortar and other scripts. Thanks in advance.
Ther isn't much documentation delivered with WGL5 at the moment, but the WGL Wiki has bits on mortar mission making and useage.

biggrin_o.gif Sorry, Q, I didn't mean to show ingratitude; I know that it's a voluntary, non-profitable full time job for the benefit of community and such type of complaints is the thing that you welcome least smile_o.gif No offence - I just have to have each of my new toys ready to use on the spot; I am a rael OFP freak and I just don't get those guys who tend to moan & groan because of the loads of addons to be installed and a great deal of effortyou have to put sometimes to make something work ... I think they just don't get it and miss lots of fun.

biggrin_o.gif Sorry, Q, I didn't mean to show ingratitude; I know that it's a voluntary, non-profitable full time job for the benefit of community and such type of complaints is the thing that you welcome least smile_o.gif No offence - I just have to have each of my new toys ready to use on the spot; I am a rael OFP freak and I just don't get those guys who tend to moan & groan because of the loads of addons to be installed and a great deal of effortyou have to put sometimes to make something work ... I think they just don't get it and miss lots of fun.

Myself I don't mind downloading and installing, even if that means unpacking etc. - but what I like is that it DOES work in the end. And I was struggling hard to install the replacement files properly, sticking to the readme or doing it my way, but the final outcome is alraedy known. ... No luck by far. Giving it up right now and waiting for some more formative and satisfactory insruction thus I keep your promise concerning the Wiki site.

I think it would be a great idea to promote such superb piece of work to use some unit replacement pack just like it was done with the latest version of the CSLA mod. Then you can take any mission or campaign you want unless there's no clash and play it with your favourite mod without the need to look for conversions or things made deliberately for the use with a particular modification only. I don't play multiplayer style much and the most off-putting thing concerning the WGL mod it the fact that there are virtually no SP missions or campaigns for that - therefore it's good that you prepared those already mentioned conversions. Unfortunatelly, most of the root campaigns you converted is not of a very good quality and playing the original BIS mission once again, even with a graet mod, is not that much enjoyable anymore ...

Thanks for all your feedback.

We are working to provide you with the documentation to alter WGL 5 in a way to meet your individual needs, however, this will take some time.

I know that after a release you want to get everything up and running or fixed as fast as possible, but please understand that we have been working on this release for about 18 months. Typically, this work was done on a daily basis - it was rare when anyone took a break (IT.Q and Killswitch worked like children making shoes for a year and a half). We WILL address every game issue that arises, but please give us time to do so. Try to keep it in perspective - most computer games take 18-24 months to create with the added benefit of the creators get paid. This, as you noted, is not something that happened with WGL 5. None of the staff made any money. Our "pay" comes in the form of your complements and appreciations (as well as how much it is downloaded and played).

So, hang in there for the documentation - it is coming (also consider the amount of documentation already included and on the wiki page - if we collected it all into a book, the book would be nearly a thousand pages long).

WgL5 sniper west side has a major kick to the gun even when prone, is a sniper rifle supposed to have such a kick that you end up getting your arse shot because you can't recover fast enough? Personally I would have left the extra movement alone, sniper rifles need no movement to shoot acurately, the beta version of 5 was the same exact thing, I don't really see any improvement in the sniper rifles.

I like the realism but even with the regular soldiers, its like their drunk.

Ironsites, I think should be solid not see through, after all thats how it really is. Just some feed back.

I tried just about every possible way to install the additional vegetation replacements. The only way I got it to work was to use DePBO to unpack the file then add the new files in then use RePBO to pack it.

@Julian - thanks for your feedback.

Snipers are a hard unit to deal with because they are so devestating on the battlefield.  We found that most OFP snipers really misused the unit.  Many people would fire nearly as fast as a rifleman, thus the use of snipers became quite unrealistic.  By having a large kick, a sniper has to make sure he hits on the first shot.  It also takes him time to resight on the next target.  While this kick is not realistic per say, it does cause the sniper to behave in a more realistic way - sort of a backdoor way of encouraging realistic gameplay.  I would also encourage you to engage targets at further range - again, use the sniper as they are used in the real world (there are of course exceptions to this, but the general rule is that snipers engage point targets from a long range).

As for the drunk soldiers, I am not entirely sure what you mean, but if you refer to their running and/or breathing, this is an intentional effort to encourage realistic gameplay.  In default OFP, you can spint for a long way without any real recourse.  In WGL, if you sprint for a long distance, it will take you a while to recover (aiming accuracy, etc).  

Regarding the iron sights, I will have to respectfully disagree with you.  If sighting correctly, the front sight is in focus and not the rear sights [edit].  As a result, the rear sight becomes fuzzy and transparent around the edges.  Try this experiement - hold up your arms - extending your left arm out in front of you.  Now make two fists and hold up your thumbs.  Align your thumbs like they are a front and rear iron sight.  If you "sight down" your thumbs and keep your front thumb focused, you will notice that you rear thumb, is blurry and transparent around the edges.  I've tried to replicate this view in game.  I feel I have had some success in this.

The overall goal of WGL 5 is realistic gameplay.  We have had to alter individual things to reach our overall goal.  We try to look at "the big picture."  Altering one individual's values may reduce its particular level of realism, but increase the realistic value of the whole (squad, mission, game, etc.).

Again, thanks for your input - we take all of your thoughts into account.

[edit - thanks for the PM - you are correct]

Ironsites, I think should be solid not see through, after all thats how it really is.

This is simulating shooting with both eyes open. Since you have two eyes you see things from a slightly different perspective out of each of them. When you shoot with both eyes open you kind of get an overlay of both views. The transparent effect is trying to simulate this.

EDIT: phaeden is on the ball today and beat me to it.

LOL got finally my old nick @ BIS back, thanks placebo!

Congratulations to get the V5 finally out of the door, I had to watch it on a comp of a friend, my wife does not allow to install OFP or ArmA before winter 2006.

Ok, ok, I had the mouse for almost 30 minutes...good that I deleted all my OFP archive and gave my OFP CDs to the kids in my family, otherwise I would be busy with installing OFP + WGL5 already!

There are impressive improvements since the 3 month I touched WGL 5 beta the last time. Great job Gents you can be really proud. I had the chance to touch VBS1 base pack. In some parts WGL5 is much better then even VBS1, so who built now the real military sim? :-)

Yeah, this is a great mod.

But why are the oldest vehicle models used, that can be found in in OFP? huh.gif

Generally speaking, the oldest models have the fewest number of polys/faces. As a result, they generally use less CPU power. Therefore, we can increase the number of objects without increasing the CPU drain. For example, BAS Blackhawks look absolutely amazing, but they have 5-10 times the polys as WGL models. I love looking at BAS work, but it comes at a price. I would prefer to have 5-10 additional helicopters than 1 really pretty one in a mission.

I hope this answers you question.

On a side note, you can alter WGL 5 to use the very best of models available - just out our wiki site for instructions on how to do this.

I love it, really sucked me back into OFP again biggrin_o.gif

Small question, what is the improved AI exactly? What is improved? smile_o.gif