Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

Foreign Language

Some chick is teaching me Maltese at the moment. Not that bad. wink_o.gif I learned a year and a half of Japanese but the letters are hard to learn

maltese sucks, boring and stupid language! aaauueeeja! but the people are very very nice, no doubt!

but back to the topic. If you are not used to learn new languages then I would rather start with languages with regular grammar such as french, spanish, italian a.s.o. There is only very little logic in german grammar, it requires diligence and nothing else!

There is only very little logic in german grammar, it requires diligence and nothing else!

it requires good memory and wild ass guessing. the sentences tend to get very long and the relevant stuff usually comes in very late and at least I forget what I've already said when I get into the middle and I'm like crazy_o.gifhelp.gif and just whistle.gif leave the scene and it usually ends like band.gifgoodnight.gif

guessing is needed when trying to place the words correctly tounge2.gif

There is only very little logic in german grammar, it requires diligence and nothing else!

it requires good memory and wild ass guessing. the sentences tend to get very long and the relevant stuff usually comes in very late and at least I forget what I've already said when I get into the middle and I'm like crazy_o.gifhelp.gif and just whistle.gif leave the scene and it usually ends like band.gifgoodnight.gif

Haha rofl.gif

Funny hearing other guys talking about learning your own mother tongue. I suppose it'd be the same for me and russian. smile_o.gif

If you need easy language to learn German is the best choice, Russian is not that easy to learn and become perfect fast....

guessing is needed when trying to place the words correctly tounge2.gif

That post would make a good signature... rofl.gifbiggrin_o.gif

If you want to take one of those only to fill the requirement, take German. It is easier to learn.

If you want to challenge yourself take Russian.

I think that if you'll stay in US after you graduate, knowing Russian migh benefit you, depending on where you'll live.

I've studied both, German is easier, but i never used what i have learned.

Personally I think Russian is easier than german, once you get past the alphabet its very easy. After spending a week in Russia I could read most of the signs and shopnames almost as easy as in english, After a week in Germany I couldnt read a thing.

I heard you can only learn Russian perfectly if being born in Russia. But I'd go for Russian anyway smile_o.gif

(granted, German is my mother tongue. If you want to know what is easier, I guess German is)

Thats half true. If you are not born in russian you have a pretty heavy accent {LoL, you should see my Israel born friends trying to speak in russian  biggrin_o.gif  }

I was born and raised in Cuba - some of my Russian friends have thought I was Russian until I ask them to repeat what they just said or speak a bit more slowly. According to them anyway, my accent is spot on. The important thing in learning any language, IMHO, is to spend a year or so immersed in it - preferrably when young.

Yeah thats right about being in the country for a year. I dont kno why But Ive always found russian an easier language than german, looking at many other posts people seem to think its the other way round in general

You should definitly learn russian. Really-that's the point if you like OFP. But take some time to remove your accent. All foreigners are usually speak russian with enormous accent. crazy_o.gif

Sometimes seeing american films I can't stop laughing seeing how some characters are trying to play russians. rofl.gif

You should definitly learn russian. Really-that's the point if you like OFP. But take some time to remove your accent. All foreigners are usually speak russian with enormous accent.  crazy_o.gif

Sometimes seeing american films I can't stop laughing seeing how some characters are trying to play russians.  rofl.gif

Thats true - LoL

The important thing in learning any language, IMHO, is to spend a year or so immersed in it - preferrably when young.

thats what I kind of meant, If you dont learn/speak russian as a child its hard to speak the language clearly with out any accent {that means all the words, to the last of them}

But... With you being an American, I think you should go for French. Going for German would be useless. French would serve you much better. You would be able to communicate with Arabs, Africans, generally a lot of people. Learning German would be a total waste of effort and, on your part, enthusiasm. I went for Russian as a pure interest, but the language that would serve you best for your line of job is French I think.

But... With you being an American, I think you should go for French. Going for German would be useless. French would serve you much better. You would be able to communicate with Arabs, Africans, generally a lot of people. Learning German would be a total waste of effort and, on your part, enthusiasm. I went for Russian as a pure interest, but the language that would serve you best for your line of job is French I think.

Arabs . .that will only serve him in the ex-colonical states {Aligiria for exmple}, and I dont think U.S. has presence in those countrys . .

I prefer choise russian because they are the real enemies still to US. Some day in russian maybe will communist rejoin together and start their invasion again... So russian language skill would be useful.

I prefer choise russian because they are the real enemies still to US. Some day in russian maybe will communist rejoin together and start their invasion again... So russian language skill would be useful.

Lol? huh.gifwhistle.gif Everything okay with you? Which invasion btw?

@mrj-fin

I guess your imagemaker forgot it's not the time of G7...Otherwise were you in a kind of stazis since 1945? whistle.gif

IMHO such people as you are still an annoying obstacle to friendly politic between Russia and USA. You should learn history better so. Do you know Russian empire was one of the countries who helped North in american Civil war and so help USA to become USA what they are now?No, I guess you were bad at studies in school. Very bad... huh.gif

Sincerely yours, your communist enemy from Russia NSX. wink_o.gif

Actually I have allways found the rules in german quite clear... :/?

There aren't as much coincidents in the german grammer as in other languages, the hard part is to remember them all.

The one thing I have allways found weird about german, is that you have whole sentences, but its only the last word that actually brings you any meaning smile_o.gif

Funny thing is, most likely you foreigners know better about the rules in german grammar than i do (as native german) banghead.gif

Not saying my written german is bad, just don´t know why it´s right biggrin_o.gif

It´s surprising me that so many members learned german at some point in their lives, thought the language was kinda "out" or so confused_o.gifthumbs-up.gif

There aren't as much coincidents in the german grammer as in other languages, the hard part is to remember them all.

then why do I get the picture that the biggest exception of all is when there is no exception biggrin_o.gif

The one thing I have allways found weird about german, is that you have whole sentences, but its only the last word that actually brings you any meaning

a person comes in late and asks the other guy next to him "What's that guy talking about over there?" "Dunno he's yet to reach the verb."

the sentences are actually quite mathematic if you think a bit furhter wink_o.gif

Id go with German. It will be a lot easier to learn than russian. I was born in USSR and still can't write russian without mistakes. banghead.gif

The one thing I have allways found weird about german, is that you have whole sentences, but its only the last word that actually brings you any meaning

a person comes in late and asks the other guy next to him "What's that guy talking about over there?" "Dunno he's yet to reach the verb."

rofl.gif Good one.

But long sentences are not only bad, it all has its pros and cons... if you read (scientifical) English books, you can encounter pretty long sentences, too. tounge2.gif