Sign in to follow this  
brataccas

Just how much has OFP affected you?

It's affected me so much that i have a tendancy to walk down streets with my hands in a weapon holding position. spooky.

hm... it's not ofp(well ok, only partly) addicts me...

the whole story started when i was born... from my child days i played much military games with toys, and tv about wars and blah blah... it was realy fun

when i was 12 years old i started to interest in history of military and again, tv, books, history lessons and blah blah blah...

when ofp was released i only heared that name of game and i didn't want to try it out... but friend adviced me, so the other part of story begun...

2001, summer, Lithuania, Vilnius, at my home... Instaled that strangly interesting military game and started to learn it's controls, explore whole ofp, that battles to come would be childs play...

well it didn't worked out as was planed... campaing seemed pretty hard... but after 1 month of campaining i started to feel that it's something like simulator, so was in deep sh*t, realism atracts me very much...

yeah, so campaing was finished and it have started boring times...

but no! ofp.gamezone.cz site brought me back! yes, addons! people started to create addons, that was realy interesting, while i was waiting for addons, i started to learn how to create some missions for addons and that kept me going...

maybe in 2003 Black Hawk Down movie came out? so i liked it very much... yup and then i remembered that some guys of BAS mod were making some badass addons, i remebered how i waited for those addons, even more then Armed Assault... smile_o.gif

when finaly BAS released those Black Hawks and Black Brids i made pretty cool mission, formation of helis just like in BHD movie... but sadly that when aproaching city ("Leave No one Behind" map) it laged very much... sad_o.gif so the mission ended there...

then i fell addict to armor. yup it was first release of SEPs. while some tests i realised, that SEPs were overpowered, so i started to grind how to destroy them. remember those Sig's T-72s? yup, it was damn hard to destroy abrams with those. And when ORCS T-72s came out i was realy happy, if sep is overpowered, why don't t-72s can't? so with those t-72s sep were burning as hell... but good that seps were updated, i find it hard to destroy, but it's possible...

oh yeah, then flying in ofp started, i realy loved that spetsnaz mod Su-27 and i was searching for challenges... yup i found them on flight decks of aircraft carriers... at first it was realy hard to land, but after 12 times of normal landings it became casual thing to me... and after 4 months of training i even hadled some cool manuevers... by the time i trained, Gnat released new kuznetsov's version and footmunch did su-33, then i became real addict of navalised aircraft...

nah it was story about ofp, but as mentioned above, i'm militarist, just like my brother...

... and ofp just added more adiction to that smile_o.gif

yup story continues and i hope that my pc will handle arma, that story would continue longer...

whoops, much mistakes, i'm too lazy to correct them, i would rather score some more seps...

lol guys, don't place movies into your ofp folder, it'll reduce lag...  rofl.gif

EDIT: corrected word reduce

and i was only jocking man... i have 20g of ofp addons, not that much as you do ...

Sorry forgot to say how ofp as affected me in last post! I got the game the day it came out here in the uk,it was in 2001! I i swear i have played it most day's since exept for family holiday's berevment's sickness ect. If i didn't play the game i would be editing custom config's and addons or reading the forum's.It as affected me because i get nagged off my wife because of the ammount of time i spend in the "flashpoint world".I am 42 married with 2 kid's. I have only got addon's and mod's in my flashpoint folder,No OFP vid's.Although i have to admit i think it would be nigh on impossible to get a folder 50 gigg's.  and i thought i had got most of the mod's and addon's to go with them!

Think it´s the same things for me that all of you experienced at some point..

but then again, isn´t ofp the game we´ve all been waiting for all our live?

I must plead guilty in these points:

excessive HD usage for OFP

being an addonwhore/excessive use of the refresh button

Teamkilling

intended Teamkilling

learned to work configs by reading many of ´em

buying Hardware specially for OFP 2 Times

buying Hardware with ArmA in mind

devoting all my spare time to make ofp photos crazy_o.gif

dunno think i could go on for a while

a last point would be hanging around in bi forums although i don´t really play ofp atm.

Crazy enough? *g*

PS: OMG, anybody call Black Scorpion a Doctor jeez 60Gigs of OFP..im almost about to start a collection for you to buy a cd writer crazy_o.gif

Lol... well my OFP folder is made of my downloaded addons folder, which is about 26 gigs, and of the addons in their correct places, plus the tools. I also have DxDll in there, which drains quite alot of space due to the .tga format of the screenshots.

But I still have way over 15 gigs of addons.

Quote[/b] ]ofplover.jpg

wow_o.gif Can we get this added to the emoticons?!

-Pilot

I like this one better:

ofp_lover.jpg

tounge2.gif

I really love it yay.gif

ofplover.gif

Hmm....well lets see:

I have gotten an interest in game engines & graphics (not just game related graphics) due to OFP, started modelling due to OFP, started texturing due to OFP. Seeing as it's just about the only game that I still play regularly I'd say that it didn't affect me much at all smile_o.gif

Because of Flashpoint I have learnt HTML and CSS, Photoshop, how to make Movies and lots of military stuff.

Thats directly because of it, but there's also lots indirectly, such as Photography. Taking pictures in Flashpoint i think helps alot in learning photography, i'm taking classes on how to develop film and negatives, and use a camera manually, but Flashpoint has really helped in learning what shots to take (angles, framing, etc).

Also i've been attempting to learn foreign languages of people i play it with (not going very well), and you just find out stuff about others peoples countrys better whilst playing with guys from other countrys.

I am interested in certain types of music due to a guy i know from Flashpoint showing me it, but which i would of otherwise not of looked into.

Also i know people i would of otherwise not of. Friends you know from School or what have you, you know as you are similiar personalities and like the same stuff, where as you know guys from Flashpoint as you both like Flashpoint, so you find stuff out that you would not of looked at if you had just seen it in a shop or heard of it as you dont think you would of liked it, and meet different types of people.

Also i think it helped me learn map reading as about a year ago i started hiking, and i'd never done this before but i felt that i picked up navigation easily as bearings and grid coordinates are all stuff you use in Flashpoint.

The trouble with the non-direct ones is that you dont know if you would of done them whether it had been for Flashpoint or not, but i'm pretty sure it is at the very least helped along by Flashpoint.

The good thing is that stuff like webdesign and movie making i started in Flashpoint, but now i use them for stuff outside of Flashpoint.

Thats the pro's, the cons are that every other game collects dust except...

VBS1, it cost me about 3 or 4 weeks of wages, and i only brought it as i was so addicted to Flashpoint and wanted the next level of it. Wether it was worth it or not i'm still not sure, but it certainly depleted my savings.

lol

flashpoint mad me learn about sf weapons and bullets, how they operate. made me learn html and photoshop. lol and alsomade me lose time i can never get back.

lol

making a simplemission takes me 4 hours to get the atmopshere i want. oh yeah made me learn cpp which i love cause i can have units which react the way i want.

its affected me in a good/bad way but it beats being bored!!!!

Hmm, interesting. Anyone else got a constant urge to refresh their screen? tounge2.gif

I am a smelly hippy pacifist.

However, OFP allows me to act out my boyhood dreams and geeky knowledge of the military, weapons and soldiering.

I have been dreaming up OFP mission for 5 years now and have leart alot about computing including HTML, amoung others.

OFP definately affected me greatly however, my girlfreind hates it and I usually play it while she is watching lame girly shows on TV.

Kendo

Today on my way to work i caught myself thinking about the tactics i'll use in a mission that i started playing yesterday... smile_o.gif

Hey, stop looking at me like that, i know it happened to you too! biggrin_o.gif

OFP's really changed my life. I don't know how but I think the community has taught me lots of things.

A couple of you have mentioned the Refresh thing. I do it all the time. Like after almost every task I do on the computer, Flashpoint related or not. Why am I doing it?

I'm constantly refreshing on the beta forum right now to check for replies to my mission .... icon_rolleyes.gif

Also have an insane knowledge of guns and hardware.. things I really shouldn't know so much about. And OFP gave me an interest in world politics, programming, graphic design, web design, cinematography and photography. I can definately say over the last 5 years OFP has completely changed my life.

Downloaded the demo and diden't really like it.

But bought the full game when it came anyway and did get possessed of the feeling in game.

Started to edit both in the game editor and in 02 the day it came.

Doing most ww2 addons today as i am a great fan of this period.

Still amazed that no game came close to this in 5 years!!!

Well i was fascinated since i saw the first Video. Waited for the Demo. Then it came out. I had just a 166 mhz PC, so i had to go to my cousin to play the demo again and again. Bought me a PC. Played it the Fullversion alot. Got an better PC. Got Resistance. Was fascinated by the condition the soldiers had. LOL smile_o.gif

Began Long Distance Running, and iam now able to run 60km in 6:30 hours. That is the biggest influence on me Operation Flashpoint had.

Erm...Bad Spelling...Drunken still...

I first played it around...2002 I think? I played my first multiplayer mission at a friends house,and not even 5 minutes into that round I was hooked,the immersion of seeing people ducking and covering,commands,so on and so forth,bought it the next day and I still have my box ^^...oddly enough its the only actual oldest box still surviving to this day due to dogs,guess they like it too rofl.gif I half way blew my speakers on this game,I absolutely love the sounds of helicopter rotors,I would turn my speakers up loud just to hear the roaring of a tank engine and its musical squeeking treads,same with heli's. It also is what got me interested in modelling and texturing,now I have made several models,one of which will probably never get to work because its a mech with 4 legs sad_o.gif...cookie for however guesses what it is tounge2.gif . This game is what pretty much took away my life and got me addicted,not the internet. Ummm...lets see........I also check the forums ever 30 minutes,1 hour or 4 hours randomly,some of its physics are odd but I like them at times. Ever got into a bike and sped down a steep slope with a passenger and the passenger eject somewhere on the slope? They go flying,I know from personal experience on a round with a friend...the human catapult... crazy_o.gif And so yeah,I love the game and fully plan on getting Armed Assault the first day it comes out,even if I have to hold somebody hostage for trying to take "my" last copy tounge2.gif

One of the things I like about OFP is O2 itself,in my opinion the easiest model editor,I mean...D to delete faces and leave points,F6 to make a new face and Ctrl+D to combine points,in things like 3dmax and whatnot you have to go through some complicated shit to combine a vertex with another crazy_o.gif

Another thing that kept me addicted would be the addons being pumped out by the community,I have to admit that for a game with so little graphical enhancements (because we all know thats mostly why people mod most games) it has done very well,and I'm glad the community wasn't so wanting of the graphics that it would cause gameplay to become hindered,and I can only imagine what is over the horizon,just thinking about it makes me orgasm

Not really being 'affected' per se, but I noticed that alot of youths considering a career in the military due to the gaming industry is unprecedented. This doesn't only apply to Operation Flashpoint.

My 2 cents/pence/pesetas/etc...