Sign in to follow this  
brataccas

Just how much has OFP affected you?

Quote[/b] ]Just how much has OFP affected you?

Just enough to realise I've been missing what really matters for the last 5 years.

Portugal, 26 of June, 2006. 00:15 WET

Today, at work, I was pretty thoughtful. Thought about the opportunities to come, the opportunities left behind, and what the hell I've been doing all this time.

Then, I left work, and went to the nearest cafe to watch the rest of the match Portugal vs Netherlands along with my friends. Finally, I felt alive.

Once I got home, the need to reply to this topic urged.

Farewell,

Hugo "Komuna", former ECP developer/co-leader.

P.S.: By the community, for the community -- Lustypoo, you bastard... It's all your fault. biggrin_o.gif

How OFP have affected me? ehh, I INSTANTLY got a new interst in games: Realism, that was my top-top-top favorite game type! which it is still, after five, great years with OFP, non stop! smile_o.gif

I also got more interst in the military, tactics and strategy (not strategy games wink_o.gif ). my English got much better too, because I have played OFP so much, and the only language i understand in OFP is English

I'm proud to be a OFP fan, from the bottom, to the top!

But OFP has also effected my friends, I showed them OFP, and they liked it just as much as I do smile_o.gif

By the way: OFP RULES!!

Without OFP: A DAMN BOOOOOOORING LIFE!!!! smile_o.gif

With OFP: A DAMN GREAT, LOVLY, AND FUNNY LIFE!!!

yay.gif

It has effected me so much, that sometimes, I behave like a OFP AI biggrin_o.gif, go around in sick-sack, joking around, and sometimes, moving my head very strange, looking strange at people etc. and in combat games in Real Life: run like a stupid soldier around, and wait....hmm...one minute before shooting? yes, sometimes, but mostly I behave as a smart, and not dumb AI, and shoot at once pistols.gif and "kill" my opponents goodnight.gif

I wanna look like the soldiers I making so I ordered a CIRAS and Nomex Gloves.

Already have BDU Jacket and Trouser, next is a PASGT or MICH helmet.

Then a M4 or M16 AEG, and one day a HK 416 conversion kit smile_o.gif

this says enough, doesn't it? biggrin_o.gif

Everytime i see an action movie I think damn play flashpoint, machineguns stay behind for cover, others attack, spread out etc... If moviemakers played flashpoint there movies would be far better!!! wink_o.gif

OFP is the only reason I upgrade my computer. It's now ridiculously overpowered, overclocked and overdusted.

Things OFP has made me even more of a genius in:

HTML writing.

OFP-related C++, texturing and modelling.

Military tactics.

Military knowledge.

Word processing.

Firearm parabola calculations.

Things OFP has made me less of a genius in:

-

'Nuff said. Woe be to the hardware thread when I get my 4GB RAM and 7900GTX running...

Without OFP I would probably be dead...

Or at the very best an alcoholic at the end of a downward spiral...

Well after playing OFP it has made me spend more money to keep upgrading my system. I first started with CWC playing it on an AMD socket7 500mhz system with a Voodoo 16mb video card. Then upgraded to a MX440 video card and I was still  locked into 16 color mode. As more addons were created I found I needed to upgrade to Resistance.  Also upgraded my system to an AMD Athlon 1.5ghz, after a while I moved up to the FX5600 card then the game started to come to life, it didn't run too bad on my AMD 1.5ghz system, but I wanted better performance. So I had to build me a gammer system (shown below). It still lags with certin addons and if you over populate the map, but I guess there is no system that you can max out the settings on. icon_rolleyes.gif

The things I've liked the most about OFP are first and formost you are free to roam the maps and are not forced to follow pre determined paths. Next is the realism factor and the  huge number of various addons, vehciles, weapons, soldier types etc. How easy it is to throw together a quick mission using the editor. Also with a few tools how easy it is to modify addons or create your own addons.  

Going on 4 years or so and I'm still not bored with it. I just hope my CD's last without wearing out...hehe

Anyhow this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

I got OFP in 2002...I lost a girlfriend...

I got VBS in 2004...I lost a girlfriend...

I'm gonna get ArmA and guess what's gonna happen... biggrin_o.gif

"Just how much has OFP affected you?"

Well , I first "meet" OFP in a Magazine , it showed a Hind , I said great another Flight Simulator or  Apache vs XX. So i didnt read the Note about it. Some days later i was in a CyberCafe playing with my friends CS, i got bored and i quit the game , I was looking for a SP game when i saw it, the OFP icon , the icon didnt like another Flight simulator Or Apache vs XX ,so i wanted to give it a try. After Playing the "Training" i fall in love with it.I wanted to play it in lan but my friends didnt want (Where i live it is CS orSTARCRAFT by default).

I wanted the game so bad , but  it was only in some kind of Special Edition which was packed in some kind of Ammo Box(Wood) and was very expensive for me (14 years back then). I guess that SE was fake since i never heard about it anymore , Anyway i couldnt run the demo with a good Fps

So i played it in the Cybercafe for a year.

it was my dream come true a Realistic militar simulator

but then they deleted it( Because it was One year Old  stupid owners) So the i lost contact with it. Some years  later.i was in the Internet i got to a page with  a soldier with a gas which was breathing(I dunno if it was a BIS page or codemaster).So i bought it.

It go amazed by the huge quantity of Addons.

So OFP affedted me alot since it deal with the things that i like (Military stuff)

OffTopic: Do you know if the dev team used photoskins for the BDU and firearms. Because the other day i was looking to the beretta 92fs and it looked a photoskin (Photoskin of a Airsoft Beretta 92fs since the end of the Barrel ,looked like from an Airsoft)?

Sorry for my english

I know this sounds sick (probably what I am) and unbelievable, but a couple of years ago, in the time when I was finishing CWC, I was traveling by train (this isn't the unbelievable part wink_o.gif ). Previously played OFP. I like looking out the window of the train and thinking about life/being here/people/me/existence and the usual meditative stuff. We were in the countryside, and some houses with some bushes/trees were closing in. For a fraction of a second wanted to press "B" for binoculars, to see if a tank is hiding there. Look I'm not that sick, this didn't last for 10sec, just 0.01sec. OK?

This is not strictly OFP related, but in some deciding moments in life I also had the CTRL+S reflex (altough OFP isn't ctrl+s). I was thinking about gaming and life, and decided regular life is better. After a couple of days I was back.

But I'm an active gamer for more than 15 years. So younger people watch out.