Sign in to follow this  
PainDealer

IDEA Games at E3

I'm kinda hoping that AA won't have reloadable LAW rockets.  I think it's a little stupid that anyone would send an infantry squad to neutralize a group of tanks.  It seems to me that most people would use artillery, tank support, a bomb trap, anything else than a little man with a little rocket up against an MBT. wow_o.gif

I do wonder if you are going to see any LAWs at all considering it's 2010.

(unless the FDF invade that is yay.gif)

Actually, I'm sure that the game takes place in 2006.  William Porter's blog seems to indicate a current day situation.

But yeah, the closest thing in real life where infantry successfully engaged tanks is that special forces in a TOW equipped Humvee from long range.  Now that is a big rocket with a vehicle to haul all the necessary rockets.

Default OFP sucks. I'd rather play BF2 than that!

You forgot to mention the gameplay and freedom... It doesnt matter if an ak47 is correctly portraid in a game if you can dance, hop and shoot acurately with it.

BF2 is small and arcadish, not a game to be taken seriously. Its true that many features and aspects of operation flashpoint are far from realistic but for a 2001 game it was revolutionary and it still is unmatched smile_o.gif .

You forgot to mention the gameplay and freedom... It doesnt matter if an ak47 is correctly portraid in a game if you can dance, hop and shoot acurately with it.

BF2 is small and arcadish, not a game to be taken seriously. Its true that many features and aspects of operation flashpoint are far from realistic but for a 2001 game it was revolutionary and it still is unmatched smile_o.gif .

adding to that... OFP seems to keep me comming back for more each and every time. BF2? nah got old after 5 months...

Yes, thats the point. Some die hard fans think that OFP was good because it was a simulation. Nope. Plenty of things unrealistic with it. The game is fun, but the campaign is what really sucks. I hate the campaign, its horrible.

Yes, thats the point. Some die hard fans think that OFP was good because it was a simulation. Nope. Plenty of things unrealistic with it. The game is fun, but the campaign is what really sucks. I hate the campaign, its horrible.

With realistic they mean Gameplay-wise, not useless-facts-about-weapons-wise, and no game ever got closer with realistic-gameplay while still being a game as OFP  smile_o.gif

(Oh, and i loved the Original CWC campaign, especially the first few mission really sucked me in into this soldier-being thing, the Red Hammer campaign sucked ass, i agree, and Resistance just wasnt my style, but it wasnt bad smile_o.gif )

some how i have a feeling that this thread is drifting away from it's original purpose.

It is a simulation if you use it like one, just because you can jump on a tank or heli and mess around doesnt mean you have to. You can use operation flashpoint to simulate things like field navigation and comunications, small infantry tactics, procedures, etc. Operation flashpoint is very powerfull.

Regarding the campaign you are amongst the very few, i believe most people here loved 1985 campaign, the initial infantry missions are memorable and a great experience.

But since you prefer BF2 im sure SP and coop are not your cup of tea tounge2.gif .

edit:

Gasp..cough..cough...

Yes, Idea was indeed at E3 and the video was very nice, how about some more pictures biggrin_o.gif .

But since you prefer BF2 im sure SP and coop are not your cup of tea tounge2.gif .

icon_rolleyes.gif I wasnt serious, I was just making a point.

Considering AA may be close to completion...what I'd tend to suggest is alot of people sit down and shut the hell up -.o,whats done is done,a large portion of the "dissapointed" people know they are still going to get the game and debating about it now is pointless,we spend hours or so going back and forth,same stuff,but once again,alot of the so called "true info" that people seem to be taking as serious happens to be the O.O oh noes,interviewers! And lets see...its written by interveiwers so it has to be true right?

So,oh yes,lets be like the interviewers and believe the WIP is the final product,lets make a circle and banter and bitch about whats wrong while its still in work,you think that they don't know half the things here? Don't forget,many people compare BIS games to other games,but generally those companies have more money and not to mention larger teams. Another thing is reptetiveness,lets repeat an issue 50+ times,why not,when once again,its still WIP.

If I understand ArmA concept correctly the whole "switching to a different character" might not be such a bad thing. Sounds like there are only 100 US Military Personell on the island, so if in Mission 1 you go "rambo-style" and manage to die 10-12 times (wiping out our whole squad), then in the next mission you will only have 90 men left on the island you can fight with.

With a bit of a good luck (pun intended) by mission 11 you will be completely screwed with just one guy left against 1000 NS troops. biggrin_o.gif

With the current state of the E3 coverage, should we consider everything to be a work in progress? I just wonder if there are any parts of development that BIS is satisfied with.

I would be happy to know if BIS is still making minor tweaks to the AI despite the looming publishing schedule. It seems that a lot of companies stop developing the ai at some point so that they can tweak the mission without the ai bugging out with a new update.

We'd all be happy to know, but the cold facts are that they won't tell us until they're happy. I'm tiring of the endless struggle, myself, reiterating the same AA things again and again from what little knowledge we do have. <sigh> I don't think I'll be able to relax until I've got that game in my greasy paws.

If I understand ArmA concept correctly the whole "switching to a different character" might not be such a bad thing. Sounds like there are only 100 US Military Personell on the island, so if in Mission 1 you go "rambo-style" and manage to die 10-12 times (wiping out our whole squad), then in the next mission you will only have 90 men left on the island you can fight with.

With a bit of a good luck (pun intended) by mission 11 you will be completely screwed with just one guy left against 1000 NS troops.  biggrin_o.gif

I hope you're making a joke, aren't you? ArmA should have a nice fat AI, obeying orders, deciding and reacting in a realistic way, covering their buddies' asses, and such. I don't want to finish a mission with 12 "lifes", as Sputnik Monroe said, it's for Super Mario stuff. Only the idea terrifies me! I don't want to sacrifice my teammates! If we have useful AI teammates, we can plan, we can accomplish, we can win with reasonable losses - but why make a decent AI if the player can "respawn" 11 times in one mission? No Sir, I as an orthodox OFP fan tell you: I've got only one life and I want only one death. Mine.

Pretty emotional, heh? biggrin_o.gif

I may have missed it, but were any pictures posted of the idea games booth itself? They say it was really small, but I'd like to see it with my own eyes.

Guest Ti0n3r
I may have missed it, but were any pictures posted of the idea games booth itself? They say it was really small, but I'd like to see it with my own eyes.

idea14tu.jpg

booth is towards the bottom of this page mate

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....3;st=75

I can't help but feel that E3 has been somewhat of a disapointment this year. The trailer was nice but other than that all we got were two small previews confused_o.gif.

Maybe going as IDEA was a bad idea as probably few people have heard of IDEA. Also if i was a journalist who sat on the proverbial fence when comes to games so to speak I wouldnt be particularly enfused about interviewing people who are essentially middle men/sales men and get bunch of marketing speak id rather interview one of the developers which is possibly the reason why there was more news/pics last year than there has been this year

anyone got an idea when the next half of ign interview is out?

Guest Ti0n3r
I can't help but feel that E3 has been somewhat of a disapointment this year. The trailer was nice but other than that all we got were two small previews.

As far as I know they talked to a couple of publishers. And there will probaby be a bunch of previews/interviews in the coming days/weeks.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ] (Antichrist @ May 15 2006,06:33)

With a bit of a good luck (pun intended) by mission 11 you will be completely screwed with just one guy left against 1000 NS troops. biggrin_o.gif

I hope you're making a joke, aren't you? ArmA should have a nice fat AI, obeying orders, deciding and reacting in a realistic way, covering their buddies' asses, and such. I don't want to finish a mission with 12 "lifes", as Sputnik Monroe said, it's for Super Mario stuff. Only the idea terrifies me! I don't want to sacrifice my teammates! If we have useful AI teammates, we can plan, we can accomplish, we can win with reasonable losses - but why make a decent AI if the player can "respawn" 11 times in one mission? No Sir, I as an orthodox OFP fan tell you: I've got only one life and I want only one death. Mine.

Pretty emotional, heh? biggrin_o.gif

So there are 12 main missions with multiple side missions and I'm given the option to switch at the start from a grunt, to machinegun support to sniper etc etc. Hows that for instant replayability. Or to take the point further, I like having the tanks in-game but hated the compulsary missions where I had to control the tanks to progress the campaign. Thinking about this, I sucked at the planes too but hey. Using the switching method, I have the option (if implemented as I currently imagine) to play the entire campaign from an infantrymans point of view. And that cant be a bad thing can it?

The campaign will be fine, but think about the possibilities we get with the mission editor. When i have Armed Assault i don`t need "Game 2" before Dec. 2008.

When i`m through the original campaign the real fun will start.

Testing what the mission editor is capable of will be one of the first things i`ll do once i`ve installed Armed Assault. yay.gif

I think we can do more in mission editing and scripting with Armed Assault, than we can do in OFP/RES 1.96. inlove.gif

[mg]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2065/idea14tu.jpg[/img]

I hope noone mistook their booth for the toilets the sign above it could be quite misleading.

Remove image tags when quoting please.

there's some very bad coverage of the Arma E3-alpha on the german website gamestar.de

the editor writes that Arma "must be a joke" and is a bad re-release of an old game by nowadays graphical standards

for german-speaking members, you can react here

there have been some 675 replies so far whistle.gif