Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

Vietnam: The Experience - v0.2

Just to let you know the Zeus server has taken on VTE for evaluation and is planning to have sunday night gaming sessions for people who want to play 'Nam.

Zeus is a community familiar with supporting modteams during development phases and you are sure to get a lot of sensible feedback from it's members.

The VTE mod demonstrates some of the values that a lot of people in Zeus share, the use of 25km islands, COC addons and Bn's tracers is an indicator of this.

I personally hope VTE is welcoming to our feedback and is not resentful we weren't here earlier biggrin_o.gif

Regards, Jay

Quote[/b] ]Snake, don't take anything too personal.

No I dont, I do have two of my own campaigns in VTE, but I didn't refer to them in the previous post. I meant that I like the old campaigns by various authors. Also I hope I didn't sound too harsh on my comments, I re-read them and felt that they were appropriate since SO much negative has been posted about the missions. Hehe call me lone ranger defending the poor old missions smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I tried those from previous one, and I got the feeling that they were rushed.

Quite the opposite, the missions and campaigns (not including mine) are very old, they are these SEB NP2 conversions. So one could assume that they have been circulating a long time and bugs are mostly fixed during that time. Different story is the NP2->VTE conversion process which might have introduced new bugs.

Quote[/b] ]you forgot, or that I haven't find them , M14 and M79 in the readme list of weapon/ammo.

Thats correct because they are JAM weapons. But I have now included them in the weapons & units list. Thank you very much for pointing this out.

Here is the list I added

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">JAM_M14, JAM_W762_20mag, JAM_W762_20HDmag, JAM_M14Mortar (M14)

JAM_M79, JAM_M433grenade, JAM_M433Vest, JAM_M576buck, JAM_MarkerGrenades, JAM_MarkerRound (M79)

JAM_M60, JAM_W762M_200mag, JAM_W762M_200HDmag (M60)

JAM_M72LAWLauncher, JAM_M72Rocket, JAM_M72ALLRocket, JAM_M72AARocket, JAM_M72APRocket (M72 LAW)

JAM_M21, JAM_W762Sniper_20mag (M21)

JAM_Remington700, JAM_W762_5mag (Remington)

JAM_flaregun, JAM_flareWhite, JAM_flareRed, JAM_flareGreen, JAM_flareYellow, JAM_MarkerGrenades (Flaregun)

JAM_AKM, JAM_E762_30mag, JAM_E762_30HDmag, JAM_AKMmortar (AKM)

JAM_AKMGL, JAM_E762_30mag, JAM_E762_30HDmag, JAM_VOG25grenade, JAM_VOG25Vest (AKMGL)

JAM_SVD, JAM_E762_10mag (SVD)

JAM_SKS, JAM_E762_SKSmag, JAM_E762_SKSHDmag (SKS)

JAM_Tokarev, JAM_Tokarevmag (Tokarev)

JAM_RPD, JAM_E762M_100mag, JAM_E762M_100HDmag (RPD)

JAM_MosinNag, JAM_E762_5mag (Mosin Nagant)

Quote[/b] ]Some units are still place holders, I believe, like BTR50PK (BMP model) or K63 and LVTP (M113 model) etc.. Are these planned ?

Yes they are placeholders. We will try to get them modeled as soon as possible since I do not know anyone whos already made them. If anyone knows these models existing for OFP, please let me know.

I know the K63 should be in the VME mod, but I surely havent found it. Any info about this would be appreciated.

Quote[/b] ]Just to let you know the Zeus server has taken on VTE for evaluation and is planning to have sunday night gaming sessions for people who want to play 'Nam.

I personally hope VTE is welcoming to our feedback and is not resentful we weren't here earlier

Heh of course we welcome the feedback and no worries about not being here earlier, this version if way better than previous one. we are really happy that you guys wanted to take a test on VTE. I just wish I could join you, but my net connection is such a lame one it disconnects too often for MP session.

I'll try to sort out the requireAddons config part real soon as I believe that is very important on the linux dedicated server. I already have the KillSwitch information tips about the cpp and try to implement them.

btw I added ofp.info download link to the first post. Thanks for the ofp.info guys for the hosting.

Quote[/b] ]99% of the missions are complete rubbish though.

Well maybe in your "how to create napalm airstrike" topic you will produce something truly great, I mean after all you're the god of mission making and others are nothing compared to your high end stuff, right?

I mean come on man with comment like "complete rubbish" you set yourself on a pretty tight spot, you gotta have some REALLY good stuff to back it up. Lets see your stuff, lets play.

What the hell does mission making have to do with how a mission plays?

After reading burroughs comments on the official VTE forum I wanted to tweak the Unscripted War mission. Well I started to fix it "today" and it was quite interesting. I started to tweak it yesterday april 12th, about 1000hrs in the morning. Well I got carried away and went along playing, taking down the enemy and ordering the AI squads around giving them artillery and air (A1 Skyraider) support.

Some time went by and I wrote down bug reports of what needs to be fixed. Then I noticed that when I edited on the background one script... the changed stuff popped up in the mission, wow I never knew this before that OFP loads every script again each time from the hard drive, I thought that when you press "preview" button, OFP loads everything for the mission at one time and no changes can be made on the fly.

So now I got to edit the scripts as I kind of get to test them real time, I mean the mission right now was so interesting (I mean the session I was playing) that I did not want to exit the editor and restart OFP etc. I did editing and played the mission, had a great fun doing so.

It took so long that about 1800hrs real time I had to go out to eat, well I left OFP on esc -> pause mode to wait because there was no chance that this mission would pass the savegame bug, noway. I came back home about 2100hrs and continued to play where I left off.

I guess it was somewhat amazing, like OFP usually is, that I kept staying alive. I did some fighting on the front lines and helped the AI squads to get out of trouble etc, lot of friendly AI forces got killed in the process but I got to be healthy, cool I like that.

The mission was great, previously when I played the original version and early VTE conversion I only witnessed NVA attack to Plei Me once or twice, now the suckers were on it constantly. I mean wave after wave they came, I just had to dug in at the base and defend it after two or so times I left the base only to hear distant gunfire behind my back after 5 minutes on the jungle smile_o.gif

Finally I started to think more aggressively, I sent out my AI forces into the nearby regions to take them under our control and that seemed to have positive effect as the attacks slowed down. Still every once in a while a sneaky NVA squad got through and attacked Plei Me.

Put OFP again to esc -> pause mode, went to sleep at unknown time and woke up some hours later which had to be like 0400hrs in the morning, today, then continued to play the mission.

So anyways, NVA kept attacking Plei Me and here is one situation of those sneaky attacks. I took this screenshot because it shows how far I played, those enemy KIA numbers are quite scary on the hint box.

Unscripted War VTE, the score.

UnscriptedWarVTE-56.jpg

Also there is the map view of the same time, same situation.

Situation on the ground

UnscriptedWarVTE-57.jpg

At this point I started to go out from the base myself, eventually I got through the two "levels" that are on the mission, then there was lot of enemy tanks that started to attack. I was located SE of LZ Albany defending the FARP/LZ I set there when something happened, dunno what script got bugged but darn OFP did CTD, heh. Ouch. Not quite the ending I was hoping for smile_o.gif

It was pretty insane, the mission OFP start time was 0700hrs and last time I checked the OFP clock (T) was about 1145hrs. I got to think, now I have definitely not only played this mission for 4hrs, so what... I played it OFP time like 16hrs or something? biggrin_o.gif

Excellent time again in OFP, I havent had so enjoyable mission in a long time. Good stuff.

I get to fix lot of the bad bugs like airstrike not working and the three waypoint patrol giving a error. Also friendly vehicle reinforcements were not working, fixed all of that. Got myself a nice bugs list to fix and after those are done, this mission will be even more enjoyable and will be at the next VTE release.

Wow nice can't wait to play that mission :P. I really enjoyed SebNAM pack 2 a few year ago when it was used by our squad. smile_o.gif

snake man,this vietnam thing is yet another part of OFP i have only just dicovered! I know nam project's have been out for a long time,but untill now i havn't been interested. Thank you, it is yet another welcome change to the game yay.gif EDIT= Just played it with ecp and it get's better inlove.gif

Quote[/b] ] Got myself a nice bugs list to fix and after those are done, this mission will be even more enjoyable and will be at the next VTE release.

Great news Snake Man - this mission is an old favourite of mine. It should come with an addictive substance health warning though wink_o.gif

I completed ThruYerSternum's last version after about 6 solid hours of play...guess it seeped into my spinal fluid and took control of my nervous system pistols.gif

Cheers,

CH

Whenever i use the SEALs i get a missing addin, Coc Divers, i Dled all the addons, but this is annoying me!

Whenever i use the SEALs i get a missing addin, Coc Divers, i Dled all the addons, but this is annoying me!

Ah my bad. As you see the CoC Divers IS listed on the required addons and is included in the picture, but in the release announcement post I forgot to write down the link. So check it out from CoC homepage - here

Sorry about that, the first post have been updated now to include this addon. Thanks for letting me know.

Guest Ti0n3r

Photoshopzorz? Looks quite good though. thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the vietminh but we need french soldier (parachutistes and legion etrangere !!!wink_o.gif. Occitania one don t correspond to this conflict but are a good base.

I wait for someone make them.... Thanks.

VTE_Promo40m.jpg

VTE_Promo43s.jpg       <span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Updates by Ebud</span>       VTE_Promo45s.jpg

More pics & info at VTE forums

is that us soldier model above actually in version 0.2huh.gif

just wondering are some of the vehicles for instance some choppers supposed to be un textured and incomplete?huh.gif

great mod just htink need update on models & their weapons etc perhaps combine with John Rambo's vietnam models???

fantastic mod though!!! nice islands!

Yes, those units you see will be in the next update along with many many more updated unit models. JJR units? No, sorry. I think the pics of the new units explain why that is.

Thanks for the vietminh but we need french soldier (parachutistes and legion etrangere !!!wink_o.gif. Occitania one don t correspond to this conflict but are a good base.

I wait for someone make them.... Thanks.

Nice idea, and I have a lot of nice pics of French units in Vietnam, but considering the updated US/Viet units have been taking a lot of my time and have taken very long to do, French units are not even being thought of yet. Maybe after this update.

Hi Ebud! Good to see ya still active. Just a small comment on the pic of the soldier above. He looks really good...except that the helmet looks a bit odd aside from it being too big on his head. I have one of those old steel pots here at home and it has a different shape then the one in the picture which looks like its bottom rim is sloped downward too much. Aside from that however he looks great.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks MT, for now it's still the old SEB Helmet, nothing was changed for that pic yet. Thanks for the info though as now I'll look at changing it. Wasn't planning on editing the shape as it's been around for years and I can't remember ever hearing about it being off smile_o.gif

now thats wat im talking about, thats air cav dude looks nice and so does the other!

are those units in the next update???

when will it be released???

keep up the fantastic work!

could u probably help me with them? crazy_o.gif

[img http://people.freenet.de/pfreekznet/vs.jpg /img]

didnt asked norfor for their permission yet ...

now thats wat im talking about, thats air cav dude looks nice and so does the other!

are those units in the next update???

when will it be released???

keep up the fantastic work!

That posted image as nothing to do with VTE, except that it uses as an example the old SEB soldier.

BeErZyMoTiC and that new unit on the left at the image has nothing to do with VTE and it will not appear on any of the upcoming VTE updates. Phefw, hope that clears it up somewhat.

BeErZyMoTiC: I appreciate your enthusiasm, but perhaps you should not post irrelevant images to VTE topic, the guys here at BIS forums get confused quickly nowadays as it seems. Thank you very much.