Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Those are spot heights. There is a difference smile_o.gif

Modders will convert old campaigns and islands into ArmA, so I'm not worried. smile_o.gif

BTW I'd like to play CWC campaign in ArmA. tounge2.gif

Me too!

Thank god I'm not alone.

Hey Ziiip, shall we start a mod team called CWCmod? smile_o.gif

I can't make islands, model men, vehicles or weapons. I can't make 2d textures or make very good web sites. But other than that I'm pretty good.

Oh, also i can't code or write scripts......

Nor can I mod stuff, but at least we have will. biggrin_o.gif

Modders will convert old campaigns and islands into ArmA, so I'm not worried. smile_o.gif

with new properities - big battles, many soldiers and new models and missions inlove.gif - old stories xmas_o.gif and nicer old islands (new textures, addos and etc.

Quote[/b] ]ArmA foto

That´s Istanbul

icon_rolleyes.gif

hah biggrin_o.gif +1

Pretty much looking like one of the mosques in Istanbul,

So, will we see Friday prayers? I got my satchels ready xmas_o.gif

Just kidding around, Seriously, I think that its a photoshop edit, like merging two different photos into one...

Man, could you imagine what riots would occur if you were able to bomb those mosques in the game... ?

perhaps worst thing possible is BIS producers could be added to "blacklist" of Islamic Fundamentalists... rest riots are everydays' thing so nobody will get the difference I think.. :P

with new properities - big battles, many soldiers and new models and missions  inlove.gif - old stories  xmas_o.gif and nicer old islands (new textures, addos and etc.

So your in too?

{We'd better get a new thread going before we get "moved"}

Also that image is surely PhotoShop. look at the trees in the front right...all blurred and stuff.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are spot hights?

Just kidding around, Seriously,  I think that its a photoshop edit, like merging two different photos into one...

It's my holiday photo made during the night from the window in my hotel room. biggrin_o.gif

Spot heights are the height at that specific spot on the map. Unfortunately they don't replace contour elevations, the height at which a particular contour sits usually marked as a figure on the line of a contour. eg.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/image.d....&type=O

Also note in this example from an English OS map, each contour is 10m apart and every fifth (50m) contour is bold.

All of that information together allows you to quickly determine your height and also easily 'read' the contours to tell which way is up and which way down. This is much harder to do with spot heights alone smile_o.gif

In fact looking at the spot heights in that screenshot, they are very hard to interpret. You have 190, 192, 188 spot heights in a group within a circular contour ... what elevation does that contour sit on? What difference in height is there between the contours? Are those spot heights in a depression or on an elevation?

There appear to be more spot heights in Arma than there were in OFP, perhaps too many, which might make things a little easier. However I'd rather see proper contour elevations, a map legend even which gives the contour intervals, map scale etc smile_o.gif

... I'd rather see proper contour elevations, a map legend even which gives the contour intervals, map scale etc smile_o.gif

Then you'll have to make a 'real map mod' for ArmA. (that's two potential mods i've comeup with now!wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

That´s Istanbul

icon_rolleyes.gif

Not Constantinople?

going to be off topic but one I cant pass,

Constantinople is the name of the town 550 years ago, since its 2006 its Istanbul... you can still find the name in the "history books" and fellow Greek maps xmas_o.gif (no offense)

That´s Istanbul

icon_rolleyes.gif

Not Constantinople?

going to be off topic but one I cant pass,

Constantinople is the name of the town 550 years ago, since its 2006 its Istanbul... you can still find the name in the "history books" and fellow Greek maps xmas_o.gif (no offense)

...and before that 'Byzantium'. tounge2.gif

Spot heights are the height at that specific spot on the map. Unfortunately they don't replace contour elevations, the height at which a particular contour sits usually marked as a figure on the line of a contour. eg.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/image.d....&type=O

Also note in this example from an English OS map, each contour is 10m apart and every fifth (50m) contour is bold.

All of that information together allows you to quickly determine your height and also easily 'read' the contours to tell which way is up and which way down. This is much harder to do with spot heights alone  smile_o.gif

In fact looking at the spot heights in that screenshot, they are very hard to interpret. You have 190, 192, 188 spot heights in a group within a circular contour ... what elevation does that contour sit on? What difference in height is there between the contours? Are those spot heights in a depression or on an elevation?

There appear to be more spot heights in Arma than there were in OFP, perhaps too many, which might make things a little easier. However I'd rather see proper contour elevations, a map legend even which gives the contour intervals, map scale etc smile_o.gif

No one else has ever noticed that the spot heights are only on peaks and not in depressions in the 5 years we have had the game?

Quote[/b] ]ArmA foto

lol you could have read the other stuff first , instead of making this claim lol wink_o.gif

origin of that photo from yesterday. in porter blog

here

With some mirroring/copy-paste the Island reminds me of Isla Margarita... there's even a city called '(El) Tunal' ('Tonal', anybody?)... wink_o.gif

Copy%20of%20nuevaesparta_road_map.jpg

No one else has ever noticed that the spot heights are only on peaks and not in depressions in the 5 years we have had the game?

Yes spot height often appear 'peaks'. What I mean is that you can't easily tell whether those peaks are lying in a wider depression or on an elevation wink_o.gif

A spot height is a lot more useful when you know the height of the surrounding terrain (usually indicated by the contours).

e.g. Without elevations marked on the contours (and without refering to the wider map) you couldn't quickly tell the difference between a small hill in a valley or the peak of a small mountain. On paper they would both just be a bunch of circles with a spot height in the centre.

Oh, i see. Tnx for clearing that for me. smile_o.gif But now i'm puzzeled with something else. huh.gif We are talking about isohyps (curves that connect spots of the same hight on the map), right? They exist on geodesic or geographic maps, but do they exist on military maps?

I haven't seen one, so i wouldn't know. Anyone?

Yes spot height often appear 'peaks'. What I mean is that you can't easily tell whether those peaks are lying in a wider depression or on an elevation wink_o.gif

A spot height is a lot more useful when you know the height of the surrounding terrain (usually indicated by the contours).

e.g. Without elevations marked on the contours (and without refering to the wider map) you couldn't quickly tell the difference between a small hill in a valley or the peak of a small mountain. On paper they would both just be a bunch of circles with a spot height in the centre.

Durring WWII the 101st named a hill after one of those marks/spots.

It had a spot height of 30 hence "Hill 30".