Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

I hope there's an ACOG. I like the light zoom. Eventualy I want to get a civilian semi-auto G3 clone with a rail system to mount one. That'd be so fun. biggrin_o.gif

On topic, I realy like the ladders on tall structures. Taking up position on something like a water tower and seeing for miles will be sweeeeet. smile_o.gif

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/medium/armed_assault007.jpg (+100K)

Looks like depth of field has been added to conventional sighting systems. Excellent.

Ok, nice, but if you are aiming through the scope, wouldn't your eye be closer, and you wouldn't see all that much around?

I have not received military training, nor am I American, so perhaps this is the correct way of aiming, so you don't get hit in the eye by recoil?

Just wundering.. huh.gif

This is a CBQ aiming technique using the reflex sight.

In CBQ you need to see whats going on in the areas around you.

Usually it is used clearing rooms and houses.

You can get closer to the sight, I have seen it in some videos.

Improves capabilities and realism.

Thanks for clearing that up guys, can't wait to see how that works in game. Especially if you can use the sights like this, and then bring it completely up to the eye for that BAS M4 action.

@ everyone who's planning to put their face into the texture map that was released, don't use a photo of yourself taken with a flash!

1. Go outside on a bright but cloudy day, (not direct sunlight! ) and have a friend take 4 pics of your head. Front, left, back and right.

2. Stand still, facing the sun, so that you don't have uneven shadows on your face or strong shadows.

3. Have your friend walk around you and take the photos 90 degrees X and Y. For best results, have him go as far away from you as possible and zoom in. This gives your head a more "plan-view" without the effect of perspective that a wide angle lens gives you.

4. If possible use a manual setting on the camera, so that you can fix the exposure and white balance to stay the same. This will ensure that the skin tone will have the same color, and the brigtness will remain the same as well.

5. Use the same settings for the hands and feet (!! ) smile_o.gif

This will make your work ALOT easier and more realistic. Consider this step 90% of getting a good texture. Arranging these onto the template is the easy part.

If you're using photoshop, I've also found that it's quite good to arrange the photos into the layout you want (in a new layer), make the face grey scale, create a colour channel layer, and then take colour samples from your face and paint them on. I just find that the greyscale is easier to muck with. When you're doign that, though, remember that there is natural variation in the colour of your skin. Consider taking a sample on a colour layer and then, on a new layer, open the colour channels and render clouds in each colour channel. Play with the contrast on the channel to taste (until it gives you some slight variation but doesn't give your skin a rainbow paintjob). It will give you a nice, random source of colour variation and will mask any incidental flaws in your skin. I did my own face once and I had rosy cheeks when I had the photos taken. You don't want your soldier to have rosy cheeks, trust me!!

Looks like depth of field has been added to conventional sighting systems. Excellent.

Ok, nice, but if you are aiming through the scope, wouldn't your eye be closer, and you wouldn't see all that much around?

I have not received military training, nor am I American, so perhaps this is the correct way of aiming, so you don't get hit in the eye by recoil?

Just wundering.. huh.gif

Thanks for clearing that up guys, can't wait to see how that works in game. Especially if you can use the sights like this, and then bring it completely up to the eye for that BAS M4 action.

@ everyone who's planning to put their face into the texture map that was released, don't use a photo of yourself taken with a flash!

1. Go outside on a bright but cloudy day, (not direct sunlight! ) and have a friend take 4 pics of your head. Front, left, back and right.

2. Stand still, facing the sun, so that you don't have uneven shadows on your face or strong shadows.

3. Have your friend walk around you and take the photos 90 degrees X and Y. For best results, have him go as far away from you as possible and zoom in. This gives your head a more "plan-view" without the effect of perspective that a wide angle lens gives you.

4. If possible use a manual setting on the camera, so that you can fix the exposure and white balance to stay the same. This will ensure that the skin tone will have the same color, and the brigtness will remain the same as well.

5. Use the same settings for the hands and feet (!! ) smile_o.gif

This will make your work ALOT easier and more realistic. Consider this step 90% of getting a good texture. Arranging these onto the template is the easy part.

If you're using photoshop, I've also found that it's quite good to arrange the photos into the layout you want (in a new layer), make the face grey scale, create a colour channel layer, and then take colour samples from your face and paint them on. I just find that the greyscale is easier to muck with. When you're doign that, though, remember that there is natural variation in the colour of your skin. Consider taking a sample on a colour layer and then, on a new layer, open the colour channels and render clouds in each colour channel. Play with the contrast on the channel to taste (until it gives you some slight variation but doesn't give your skin a rainbow paintjob). It will give you a nice, random source of colour variation and will mask any incidental flaws in your skin. I did my own face once and I had rosy cheeks when I had the photos taken. You don't want your soldier to have rosy cheeks, trust me!!

If you have an dslr camera and can adjust the strength of the flash, it is beter to juse the flash. It will clear all the shadows from your face but will still give the natural face colours. That's how I did mine smile_o.gif And believe me, the photoshopping ISN'T the easiest part tounge2.gif

It looks veeery shopped - but if not - GREAT! biggrin_o.gif

that looks great, and i doubt PC Gamer would photoshop a game

On a side note: This links to german magazine PC Games, not to UK/US magazine PC Gamer.

If you're using photoshop, I've also found that it's quite good to arrange the photos into the layout you want (in a new layer), make  the face grey scale, create a colour channel layer, and then take colour samples from your face and paint them on.  I just find that the greyscale is easier to muck with.  When you're doign that, though, remember that there is natural variation in the colour of your skin.  Consider taking a sample on a colour layer and then, on a new layer, open the colour channels and render clouds in each colour channel.  Play with the contrast on the channel to taste (until it gives you some slight variation but doesn't give your skin a rainbow paintjob).  It will give you a nice, random source of colour variation and will mask any incidental flaws in your skin.  I did my own face once and I had rosy cheeks when I had the photos taken.  You don't want your soldier to have rosy cheeks, trust me!!

I meant it's the easy part IF you got good photos to work from, as most of the hassle that arises in blending is when there's color mismatch or bad angles, strong shadows.. stuff like that.

I'm going to have to try that color channel route, as photoshop gives you 100 ways of accomplishing the same thing, and you never know the best one till you try them all wink_o.gif  

As for the flash, I'm betting most will not have such a fancy flash, so the overcast day shooting is fairly accessable to most outside of Spitzbergen.  Another trick is to put a diffuser in front of the flash, something like plexiglass that has been scuffed with heavy sandpaper, or even just baking paper.  Try using many layers until it creates that soft light effect.

Going to stop before Placebo sobers up from the celebrations and notices this derailment   whistle.gif

Just wundering.. huh.gif

OMG. So, if you use trackIR, does that mean you can zoom into the sight using the Z axis wow_o.gif ?

OMG. So, if you use trackIR, does that mean you can zoom into the sight using the Z axis wow_o.gif ?

ArmA supports Z-axis movement on a TrackIR, and the logical assumption is that it controls zooming, sooo.. yes, it seems reasonable to think that Z-axis movement will cause you to zoom in.

Really, if you don't already have a TrackIR for ArmA, you should be getting one for Christmas. They're going to be amazing in the game, mark my words.

ArmA supports Z-axis movement on a TrackIR, and the logical assumption is that it controls zooming, sooo.. yes, it seems reasonable to think that Z-axis movement will cause you to zoom in.

Really, if you don't already have a TrackIR for ArmA, you should be getting one for Christmas. They're going to be amazing in the game, mark my words.

Agreed. It will combine ALL aspects into one (Flight awareness, Driving awareness, and Soldier awareness). The use in this game will be revolutionary in my view, hehe, but my question was actually regarding the iron sight mode. If the view is farther back for CBQ purposes, my question is can you zoom in closer to the sights using TrackIR. Then again, I guess no one really knows, so I shouldn't even be asking it, eh.

Anyways, if you can afford it, get TrackIR people! You won't be sorry.

Just wundering.. huh.gif

In this case it's an aimpoint sight, it doesn't have any magnification, and you're not supposed to put it up to your eye. It's not meant for long range, and the whole point of it is to make it easier to aim without using ironsights, which the disadvantage of using is that you lose peripheral vision. So the whole point of such a sight is to be able to have a good idea of where you're aiming (not necessarily exact) while still being able to see and be aware of what's going on around you.

Edit: And 2 other people posted with the same answer before I finished posting.

not sure if this has been mentioned but, when you use an aimpoint/red-dot sight you shoot with both eyes open... the red dot just apears as a... dot... in your field of wiew when "aiming" and the shot goes where the dot is.

Using an standard ironsight you obiously use one eye since you need line of sight to hit what you are aiming at.

and aimpints are exact... atleast under 300 m... trust me wink_o.gif

oh and if you are after realism... the aimpoint (mounted) dont show like in the screenshot when you aim, you just see the dot basically... it should be even more blurred. but it looks nicer in a game when like it is in the screen wink_o.gif

As great as it would be to have the more blurry realistic effect,it would also give you one hell of a headache because when aiming in reality,your not really focusing on other things and your eyes are drawn away regardless,but on a screen it doesn't quite work that way..

Oh and did anybody else notice in one of the latest images that a driver or passenber in a car type vehicle was wearing chocolate chip (desert storm) camo?

Also in an image of a US soldier talking to three others,links provided.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/pcgde3.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics3/pcgde4.jpg

Curious as to who these guys will be,no doubt part of the south sahrani forces,strange that the one to the fart left is decked out more than the others.

I *think* the chocolate chip uniforms might be the South Sahrani forces. It seems the US is not only training them - they're also supplying them with a bunch of equipment and clothes that the US basically doesn't need/want any more.

/edit - ah nuts, you edited your post and now mine looks obsolete tounge2.gif

LOL, what system did they use? I only see 6600 in review.  biggrin_o.gif

XP2800+, 1,5 GB RAM, 6600GT - 800x600x medium settings

LOL, what system did they use? I only see 6600 in review.  biggrin_o.gif

XP2800+, 1,5 GB RAM, 6600GT - 800x600x medium settings

hum.. is that good or bad?  confused_o.gif

I think he could have better settings. Just remember vids from IgroMir... Athlon 3000+, 1GB RAM, and also 6600GT.. and it looked much better than tiscali screens.

Maybe it is CPU. Those models are long gone (EOL). At least here :P

LMAO

I have an old 386 computer aswell, I will try to run Arma on it aswell.

Nice find Bravo biggrin_o.gif

Who are these guys with the old desert camo?

Sanari troops?

strange guys...

Sahrani troops. It's similar to present Iraq, where US soldiers are using ACU and Iraqis old "chocolate chips" camo...

we believe so - in the same way the Iraqi's have received a fair bit of old chocolate chip camo, it seems viable that this is the same deal - the US are over there training these guys, so it seems like some uniforms were thrown in with the deal.

I think he could have better settings. Just remember vids from IgroMir... Athlon 3000+, 1GB RAM, and also 6600GT.. and it looked much better than tiscali screens.

Probably Tiscali used the standard settings as ArmA puts them after it analysed the hardware.

While at IgroMir they most certainly tweaked the settings...