Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

New moves and animation.

I would like to see more options regarding movement, stance and equipment carrying in Arma implemented, basically being able to sneak around with the rifle on back, crouch with rifle on back, move while holding other items other than rifle, handgun or AT weapons only (handgrenades, binoculars or explosives). I believe having these options would add to the game in terms of realism and gameplay.

The tough part would be to add some of these same behaviours to a.i. units (like sneaking with gun on back) but it wouldnt be really necessary and if it were setting there behaviour to both stealth and safe would be enough.

It would also be good to see unarmed "scared" civilians crouching with their hands above their heads instead of their usual behaviour of run around and go prone. smile_o.gif .

id also like the ability to fire AT weps ( RPG / LAW for example ) while standing or being prone.

id also like the ability to fire AT weps ( RPG / LAW for example ) while standing or being prone.

If the AT weapons are no longer uber 500m+, one shot killer, sniping weapons i agree but if people have too much freedom of movement with such weapons the impact on gameplay could turn out bad, i think BIS should be carefull with that area so we dont see players running around rpging everything on sight, reloadable LAW should be "fixed" and RPG7's should take longer to reload. Has they are in OPFR it would be unwise to aloow players to run around with laws and rpgs wink_o.gif .

What I'd really like to see is a bit randomness in animation. For example, two or three running anims and the engine decides which one to display. It's already done for dying anims, in fact.

I also would like to see this, altough maybe not the prone position because in the rocket launcher world, that is the most unstable position and rocket launcher is usually held at a 90° angle to prevent backblast frying your legs, witch makes the launcher wobble bit more than in crouching or standing position.

Anims (and movement speed) for unarmed or pistol armed soldiers need improvement big time!!

One of the worst features in todays OFP.

OFP & ArmA are about realism and thats what most people like about this genre of shooter. Being able to launch an RPG from prone in real life would be idiotic! - Unless U want fried feet for dinner!  rofl.gif

In the same way using one standing upright would make for an inacurate shot with something that is already very awkward to keep steady!  whistle.gif

But I agree with Heatseeker that more veriety of movement is needed for ArmA than those limited ones in OFP. Typical human behaviour like soldiers gestating with hands when talking, scratching heads, puting hand to mouth and coughing, scratching back, tying boot laces ete. etc. !  biggrin_o.gif   If U've played games like Far Cry or Ghost Recon U'll see some of these anims in action!  tounge2.gif

OFP & ArmA are about realism and thats what most people like about this genre of shooter. Being able to launch an RPG from prone in real life would be idiotic! - Unless U want fried feet for dinner!  rofl.gif

We had this discussion when I did beta testing for Soldner - Secret Wars.  It is perfectly feasible to fire an AT weapon whilst laying down.  As stated above, the firer bears his weapon at a certain angle to avoid the back-blast.

I don't think it's unrealistic at all to be able to fire these weapons in any stance...  wink_o.gif

If the AT weapons are no longer uber 500m+, one shot killer, sniping weapons i agree but if people have too much freedom of movement with such weapons the impact on gameplay could turn out bad, i think BIS should be carefull with that area so we dont see players running around rpging everything on sight, reloadable LAW should be "fixed" and RPG7's should take longer to reload. Has they are in OPFR it would be unwise to aloow players to run around with laws and rpgs wink_o.gif .

Yeah , i would also like not to have 500m uber AT weapons , for example in OFP you can accurate hit an armor (static) vehicle at 500-800m . I would love to see real life ranges on AT weapons ( LAW is around 100-150 m effective use, no ? ) Maybe make the aim sight so that they would aim 200m or so ( restrict aim with RPG/LAW over the 200m via sights) you would still be able to fire and hit targets over the range but only without using the "v" button ( would be harder to aim that way ) or just make something like rocket runs out of power (speed) after flying a period (if it was fired at a target out of the max range of the launcher) . This way i think the so called 1shot 1 kill armor vehicles such as BMPs/Bradleys/M113's/Shilkas would have use on the field ( they dont now , you are an easy target)

The pictures a bit small but prone is a reliable firing poistion. I would like to see the reload times of an AT weapon made realistic but what i don't like is the way you pop out of cover fire your weapon at a tank and before you either reload or pop back into cover, because of the animation sequence, you get sniped in the cranium by the tanks machine gun  crazy_o.gif . An AT gunner on the OFP battlefield has a very short life span as when he's told to engage a tank he runs towards it like a freakin maniac, goes through the animation sequence to place weapon on shoulder then gets shot in the bonce...

prone7in.jpg

and that is why you dont fire a shoulder mounted AT while standing.

that guy got the AT sights to the face.

I remember from my Bundeswehr training that firing a Panzerfaust 3 from prone position is the easiest way just because you can rest your elbows on the ground and have stable support. Next comfy position is either kneeling or standing while still using a short wall or other obstacle as support/cover, then comes kneeling/standing without something to rest on, which highly sucks because AT weapons usually tend to be heavy (Panzerfaust may not be the lightest of them all though). Makes steady aim a pain. Imagine balancing some woodtruss on your shoulder.

So i think firing AT weapons in prone position is a must have, clearly aiming with those things has to be more difficult than in Resistance.

The ability of using static objects as aiming support is something i would love to see in that game, though i guess this has been discussed already.

edit: that video rofl.gif

That recoiless rifle wasn't intended for infantry use; that's why it flew out of his hands.

Altough I have no military experience, I've held something similar to LAW launcher (The name is Zolja here in the part of the world I live in). I can tell you that I tried most of the positions of holding it.

Simple prone one in witch you face launcher forward is almost impossible and backblast will fry your ass/legs.

90° Prone is not that bad, but stability and accuracy is the issue because you're holding it at an angle and it's a bit harder to stabilize, and you can't get the intended view of the sights so you have to guess where the rocket will land.

Kneeling is not bad, if you have kneepads, my right knee hurt like a bitch when I tried it without a pair of kneepads on the concrete base. With kneepads it's not that bad. Stable firing position.

Standing position worked the best for me, I had nice leg support and holding the launcher in that way was easy, because it kind of felt natural.

I also tried standing, supported position. There was something like a small piece of trench there, I rested my elbows on the front part and leaned a bit, and my legs were at the back wall of the trench, also very good position.

The officer that gave me acces to that launcher showed me another trench position, when you lean with your back on the back wall of the trench and your feet are at the front wall, also comfy position.

From what I have gathered, if I ever had need to shoot a law-like launcher, I would definatley use standing or one of the variations of it to shoot it.

I had my hands on few other weapons (Shot an MP5 when I was around 4-5, during wartime in Bosnia tounge2.gif ) , but this is not the place to discuss that subject.

In the army we used 3 different positions while firing the AT4.

The normal knee-stand, lying prone and angling your body around 30 degrees to you left (more or less the same angle as you use while shooting your rifle while prone) and then the kneeling position where you stand on both your knees with your knees about one shoulder lenght apart. (Actually the most comfortable position since it's easy to get into and you're not pressing any gear into your gut with the right leg extended forward)

So yes, it's entirely possible to fire an AT weapon while lying prone.

smile_o.gif

In the army we used 3 different positions while firing the AT4.

The normal knee-stand, lying prone and angling your body around 30 degrees to you left (more or less the same angle as you use while shooting your rifle while prone) and then the kneeling position where you stand on both your knees with your knees about one shoulder lenght apart. (Actually the most comfortable position since it's easy to get into and you're not pressing any gear into your gut with the right leg extended forward)

So yes, it's entirely possible to fire an AT weapon while lying prone.

smile_o.gif

Entirely possible?! Of course it is! It's probably also entirely possible to fire an AT weapon whilst lying on your back or hanging upside down from a tree!  rofl.gif

The point of this thread is about new animatioms for ArmA. I'm not a military expert and was never in the army so I am not in a possition to brief anyone about correct useage of AT weapons. I have used rifles for game hunting so know only about shooting with guns.

Going prone with a gun is uncomportable enough as your head is forced to adopt an unatural held back possition in order to view through the scope. Apart from pressing down on your gear and loosing things from your pockets! For me the best possition for accurate shooting with a gun is standing upright resting elbows against a wall or a vehicle. Failing that I find kneeling down with my left knee on something soft whilst resting my right elbow onto my right knee with the leather strap pulled hard around my left elbow to steady the gun as much as possible.

For me the only advantage of going prone would be to conceal myself as much as possible from the quarry or in the case of war the enemy, and in which case to minimise your profile against enemy bullets. Disadvantages of going prone in my case are being very uncomfortable, lossing things from pockets, getting wet from damp ground and getting covered in crawly things that bite you! Disadvantage of going prone in the military would be all of the above plus takes longer to get up from a prone possition and run for cover than it does from a crouched or standing possition, bearing in mind that once U have fired your weapon (especially in the case of a rocket launcher) every body and his mom knows exactly where U are!!  tounge2.gif

Why would any1 want to sneak around with your gun on the back? Doesn't soldiers normally have their rifles in their hands if combat is emminent? We were told to keep the rifle in the hands at all times if you knew there was an enemy near by...

Im just thinking - what would the use be in arma? Maybe in real-life you would like to cut the throat of the enemy or something ... but in a war-simulater? What I liked about ofp was that it simulated a normal grunts behavior and fealing, rather than some splinter-cell thingy :/

If there was time, I would like to see each side with there own anims. I'm sure US and Russia dont move and hold there guns the same way wink_o.gif

If there was time, I would like to see each side with there own anims. I'm sure US and Russia dont move and hold there guns the same way  wink_o.gif

And I would add to these weapon specific anims... Total programming mayhem whistle.gif

For me the only advantage of going prone would be to conceal myself as much as possible from the quarry or in the case of war the enemy, and in which case to minimise your profile against enemy bullets. Disadvantages of going prone in my case are being very uncomfortable, lossing things from pockets, getting wet from damp ground and getting covered in crawly things that bite you! Disadvantage of going prone in the military would be all of the above plus takes longer to get up from a prone possition and run for cover than it does from a crouched or standing possition, bearing in mind that once U have fired your weapon (especially in the case of a rocket launcher) every body and his mom knows exactly where U are!!  tounge2.gif

But would a soldier in the battlefield really care if he was 'comfortable' or not, or if he had creepy-crawlies all over him? I think he would be more concerned about taking a 7.62mm round to the head. I know I certainly would... wink_o.gif

Why would any1 want to sneak around with your gun on the back? Doesn't soldiers normally have their rifles in their hands if combat is emminent? We were told to keep the rifle in the hands at all times if you knew there was an enemy near by...

Im just thinking - what would the use be in arma? Maybe in real-life you would like to cut the throat of the enemy or something ... but in a war-simulater? What I liked about ofp was that it simulated a normal grunts behavior and fealing, rather than some splinter-cell thingy :/

Ex: Soldier is on the cargo position of a moving helicopter or other vehical, if he stands up straight holding his gun he will fall..

Other ex: being able to hold other items like i mentioned before, for proper hand grenade throwing, or holding binoculars.

[iDEA] Looking at map, i would love to see a anim where the player is looking at the map[/iDEA]. Player is crouched to make a lower profile, shoulder or drops the weapon and picks the map.

Then because when we hold a rifle in OPF the animation always shows the player in a aiming stance, an alternative would be nice to have smile_o.gif .

Now what about carrying objects? Briefcases with documents or money, explosive devices, etc, that would be usefull for asset retrieving missions and it would be great if the unit carrying a briefcase could move at a realistic speed and hold a handgun with corresponding acuracy smile_o.gif .

OFP could be much improved in the area of anims. I think it can be summarised in three points.

1. Randomnes of animations (a few different animations for every action)

2. New movements animations

Quote[/b] ]Looking at map, i would love to see a anim where the player is looking at the map

Very nice idea.

Some ideas i would point out are: being knocked off your feet by nearby explosion (and standing up from that position), panicking (if not incorporated to ai system it could be at least used in cutscenes), covering anims, droping a weapon, also faster moving with at weapons in hands (can be without ability to fire)...

3. Better transitions and more dynamic anims. I would like to see a bit faster animations - i think soldiers move under fire much faster than AI from OFP (for example in OFP at soldiers die so often because after shooting they always reload and have to finish their animation - in real world soldiers would sometimes even throw away their at weapon to get covered). From what ive seen in OFPE trailer transitions are still quite a problem in it (i mean the soldier receiving a few hits but dieing only after throwing grenade animation is complete).

Quote[/b] ]Then because when we hold a rifle in OPF the animation always shows the player in a aiming stance, an alternative would be nice to have smile_o.gif .

IN H&D2 there is a nice solution. You usually have non ready weapon animation, but when you slightly press fire button it switches into ready animation and if you dont fire for a time it goes back to non ready.

I want "dynamic leaning" system what you can see in Alfa: Antiterror game where soldiers leaning from cover only how they need...so this is end for uncover chest when you want only look by one eye;-)

Standing and prone AT positions are possible in OFP (in theory), someone's just got to go through the painstaking process of making the anims and coding the moves.

Many other things are possible too, and leaning as allready been done (in several different ways too).