Sign in to follow this  
AtR

Carrying abilities

Did you ever got tired that in OFP you are not allowed to carry multiplie weapons or RPGs and other usefull stuff which you can in real life ? You were allowed to carry a primary weapon with 4 clips and an RPG/LAW with 3 rockets or AA/AT4/Carl Gustav (same with other heavy AT/AA weps) with 1 rocket/missle. One thing id like to see is the ability to carry more equipement(reducing your speed maybe or increasing time when your characted gets tired? )

Would deffinately want to see this in ArmA once it goes live, and what about you ? Share your opinions about this.

You can carry a handgun with mags, a rocket launcher with at least 1 projectile and a rifle with at least 3 mags with full loadout.

What else do you need ? A flak gun ? huh.gif

What else do you need ?

More weapons, since it is a soldier war sim , would be nice to keep it close to reality.

Like... how many exactly are we talking here?

+-6, just like in MOHAA! tounge2.gif

Well, it might be ok to pickup and extra rifle instead of an antitank weapon smile_o.gif

i dont know what numbers , but yes , additional rifle instead of AT/AA is a nice idea.

So as a rifle+nade launcher ( nade vest with ~24 nades ) handgun(wont get too much use but still counts as a firearm) and AT for example RPG with 3 rockets or so , this ammount isnt allowed in OFP, because cos of the nade launcher attached to the rifle. In RL it is possible , i dont think that this nade vest of 24 nades weights uber much. correct if im wrong

Slighty offtopic but I hope that in Arma if you fire with a weapon you picked up by the enemy or sit in a enemy tank,helicopter and your allied AI doesn't know about that fact and can't identify you,I hope they open fire on you.

Ontopic: Definitely need more ammo-storage,heck what,add some modding freedom there and let the config-guys define how much and what ammo belongs to which slot(Im thinking Rucksacks here)

well when ive got a scop rifle i would love to also carry and M16 or AK that would be cool it is possible to do so in real life

I dont see anything wrong with carrying a secondary rifle at the cost of a launcher on your back. But definately not 2 rifles plus a launcher. Too heavy if you want to stay agile. One rifle on your back already hinders you somewhat. I've had my share of the wooden AG-3 butt and muzzle-break to the back of my head while holding one in my hands tounge2.gif

if agility is codable (more weps/weight the less agile u are) then i see no problem with having 2 rifles and a launcher on your back , you will always be infront of a choice " speed or firepower "

What I would like to see is a weight system instead of the slot system the ofp currently uses. I don't if this will be possible in ARMA though; maybe for OFP2.

nice idea mate smile_o.gif we can only hope to see it in ArmA

Quote[/b] ]if agility is codable (more weps/weight the less agile u are) then i see no problem with having 2 rifles and a launcher on your back

Never seen that IRL during combat. Maybe on a march where a comrade suffers from some injurie. I´d like to see how you are able to coordinate one gun and a launcher on your back in a combat situation. Sorry dude. You want to carry 24 nades, 3 AT rockets, the launcher and two rifles. Unless you are Hulk and have about 4 tentacles you will run into some serious problems with that setup smile_o.gif

There is a reason why AT teams consist of 2 soldiers. Now you want to carry it all on your own and still be able to fight. That´s optimistic at least, I´d say.

Weight alone is not a sufficient measurenment. Bulkiness of weapons does matter even more imo.

Weight alone is not a sufficient measurenment. Bulkiness of weapons does matter even more imo.

I think a combined system of those would be the best instead of the current slot system. Every weapon or magazine should have a weight and a "bulkiness" value (however the last would be called), which affect speed and agility. The more you carry, the less agile you are and the faster you get out of breath.

Although it would also provide some very useful possibilities. When you f.i. have to defend a place against an enemy rush, IRL you'll probably take as much as possible with you, find a covered place and take a position. With such a short way to go agility or speed wouldn't matter a lot, but still it'd be better to have more mags or rockets than less.

I'd give the idea of a weight/bulk penalty system my thumbs up. In fact I susggested exactly the same thing a year ago for the Quake3 mod Urban Terror (they never released the next version though sad_o.gif )

In real life I was able to carry ~10 SA80 sized rifles. Two in each hand using the carrying handles and three over each shoulder on slings. I couldn't run or fire any of them, even walking was slow.

It had nothing to do with weight, but bulk. The more gear you carry the more it gets in the way - slings and webbing tangle, objects swing and dig into the soft parts of your body.

It would be great in Arma or Game2 had a more flexible inventory system where you aren't so limited by artificial slots but by a weight/bulk penalties on speed, movement and even ability to aim/fire.

On a slightly related topic, it might be good to see bergens (large rucksacks) as an available accessory. They would allow for some good long range recon/patrol missions. They could also be rated under the same penalty system, reducing you ability to carry other objects and giving you reason to dump them if attacked. As an advantage they could hold certain amounts of extra ammo, bandages and act as floatation aids when crossing rivers.

Great ideas here. Like the weight system where you slow down the more you carry but maybe you should be able to run at normal speed/sprint if you need too (i.e. ambush) as you would in real life, but maybe not be able to keep it up as long. Adrenaline is supposed to have quite amazing effects. Hmm.. Adrenaline system sounds like a good idea too...

Like the bergen idea too.

Hidden & Dangerous 2 has a system like the weight one. If you decide to carry an AT weapon, that really adds weight to you, and it slows you down...

I like the present system enough, except for the fact that if you want to carry an RPG launcher you can then carry only 4 magazines for your rifle.

I like the present system enough, except for the fact that if you want to carry an RPG launcher you can then carry only 4 magazines for your rifle.

Also on that note, the medic only carries four mags, while the machine gunner has about five 100rnd boxes and a pistol. I would like to see a "medic bag" as an item which you could give to any of your squad and they would have the ability to heal one squad member but not themselves. As in real life every soldier is trained in basic first aid.

Here's the ideas I've been toying with for a long time, I'm curious as to how others will react to them.

I think the two weapons slots and a pistol slot like they have now is fine. What I would like to see is the rocket launcher slot opened up to hold rifles and other objects also. That and weight, which sounds like every one agrees that weight should be added.

Basically the way I see it here's a list of objects you could carry in the second slot...

1.AA and AT launchers

2.Rifles and LMGs

3.Radios

4.one MMG and HMG part (tripod, barrels or receiver)

5.Mortar parts (like MMG and HMGs)

6.Backpack

7. Parachute

8.Liter (collapsed and stored)

9. Petrol Can?

You could use Slot 1 in the same way if you wish. So for example one man could carry a Browning M2 HMG receiver in slot one the tripod in slot two and a pistol in the pistol slot while a second man could carry a rifle in slot one and the M2 barrels in slot 2. The draw back to this two man HMG team is that man one is probably over weighted and thus moving slower.

I figure there would be different types of backpacks with different traits, for example...

1.RPG Ammo pack, holds RPG rounds only.

2.Mortar round bundle thing what ever they call

3. Rucksack, has a few extra ammo slots in it.

4. Bergen, weighs a bit has an extra weapon slot and more ammo slots. Of course to use the extra weapon you'll have to set the bergen down, take the extra weapon from the bergen then put your other weapon in the bergen and finally pick the bergen back up. This is not a usual combat action, more a before the battle action, so no switching between hundreds of weapons on the fly like quake.

I'd also like to see fire and forget weapons like the M72 Law and RPG75 take up ammo slots like a hand grenade rather than using up a weapon slot. I've heard lots of stories about the M72 where people would usually be carrying two or three.  Of course unlike a grenade a LAW would take up about three ammo slots rather than one.

I agree on the medic bag item. Perhaps it has limited uses like a weapon to, say bandages instead of magazines? The medic would then have supply to worry about like every one else. Every other class runs to the Ammo crate for magazines while the medic runs to the medic tent for more bandages.

I'd also like to see more non weapon equipment that could be used. Right now we have the two bottom slots for Binoculars and NVgoggles. What I would like to see is those two slots and the pistol ammo slots removed and instead replaced with six normal ammo slots. With this change NVgoggles and Binoculars would now take up one ammo slot a piece, pistol magazines would take up one ammo slot also(keep in mind they weigh less than a rifle magazine). I think at this point the ammo slots should be renamed equipment slots, since they'll be holding more than just ammo.

Non combat items I can think of to add would be...

1. Binoculars, 1 slot

2. NVGoggles, 1 slot

3. Flare, 1 slot

4. various different colors of smoke grenade, 1 slot

5. Strobe and infrared strobe, 1 slot

6. Medic Bag ,x slots (perhaps this would go in a weapon slot like a backpack? It only holds bandages, like the RPG pack only holds RPG rounds. this would also limit medics from being Anti tank men)

7. Gasmask, 2 or 3 slots?

8. Rebreather (like COC divers, this might be a weapon slot)

9. Door knocker , 3 slots(if we get good MOUT)

10. Wire cutters, 1 slot

11. flashlight, 1 slot

12. GPS, 1 slot

13. Laptop, x slots

I think you get the picture. Many more items can be listed and added.

So basically each soldier would have two Primary slots a pistol slot and 16 equipment slots. This might sound like a lot, but keep in mind there is weight also. The basic BIS default rifle man would probably just use 10 of his equipment slots any way, 7 magazines and 3 grenades. The 16 slots though gives a lot of room for equipment customization for special ops missions and addons, then there is always the backpack primary slot item that can give you more gear for long marches.

The reason I suggest the whole slot and weight system instead of a weight only system is that a weight only system fails to consider mass and bulk. Sure I can carry 60 pounds, but how do I manage to carry four fifteen pound back packs?

Well that's my two cents.

I wouldn't mind leaving the healing stuff for arcade games. It's not like a little bandage will bring you back your eye, leg or arm. At best, it just keeps you from dying of blood loss, not put you back in business with 100/100hp (or this_half_dead_dude_that_i_bandaged_in_four_seconds setDammage 0.000).

For the MG team illustration, one of them would also have to carry the ammo :|

Both those guys would be pretty heavily burdened.

Quote[/b] ]For the MG team illustration, one of them would also have to carry the ammo :|

Both those guys would be pretty heavily burdened.

Oh I know that, it was just a hasty example. A machine gun team is usually three to four people.

As for the machine gun example, one thing I think might be cool is if the barrels where equipment slot items. When you over fire the machine gun the barrel over heats and you have to switch it out with a spare barrel. I seriously doubt we'll ever see that in a game though.

Quote[/b] ] wouldn't mind leaving the healing stuff for arcade games. It's not like a little bandage will bring you back your eye, leg or arm. At best, it just keeps you from dying of blood loss, not put you back in business with 100/100hp (or this_half_dead_dude_that_i_bandaged_in_four_seconds setDammage 0.000).

I agree with you on this totally. It is pretty much guaranteed though that Arma and Game 2 will feature the medics as they are now. Personally I'd rather see bandages just being used to stop further damage over time from blood loss, and also to stabilize incapacitated troops.