Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Well it's the first time in OFP I've been aggresively pursued by enemy AI infantry. They also used grenade launcher's correctly, they spotted me about 300m out and where using them it was crazy. I suggest everyone download wgl5.1

I don't get what you mean about "spicy" realism. rofl.gif

arf,

with more realism in every way.

edit: i would like to add this from other thread

And let's not forget, the real point of any game is for people to have fun... I hope BIS feels the same way.

Well, I cannot speak for the whole BIS crew, but this is not what I view games to be - fun is too narrow. It is like movies - you have commedies, whose real point is to have fun, and then you have other genres, thrillers, historical movies, war movies ...

War is not nice, and war is definitelly not funny. We really want to portray this well in ArmA, as I hope we did in OFP.

Quote[/b] ]ultra realism doesn't sell

It sells to me! I don't buy BF2 type games that are sort of based on reality but are totally surreal. IF it has to be an arcadey game then atleast the creators should think up a nice little universe around it...

It sells to me! I don't buy BF2 type games that are sort of based on reality but are totally surreal. IF it has to be an arcadey game then atleast the creators should think up a nice little universe around it...

i agree

BIS gives us a powerfull moddable engine this is the only thing we need.

i agree

And if you 2 was enough for BIS, I'm sure they would make it as realistic as possible, but for most other, ultra realism still doesn't sell. wink_o.gif If BIS wants to attract new players, and not just have to stick with all the old buggers, then they need a game that is balanced, not too arcadeish, but still not so realistic that it makes the game boring...

And besides...if your screen was filled with bloodspatter from your dead buddy and your leg was hurting and bleeding from the bullet that hit you in the game, you would probably not find ArmA that fun whistle.giftounge2.gif

Well, I cannot speak for the whole BIS crew, but this is not what I view games to be - fun is too narrow. It is like movies - you have commedies, whose real point is to have fun, and then you have other genres, thrillers, historical movies, war movies ...

War is not nice, and war is definitelly not funny. We really want to portray this well in ArmA, as I hope we did in OFP.

I hope that was a promisse... I also hope the game delivers the same brutal experience of OPF and better. OPF was not what i considered fun, it was challenging, imersive, serious, even dramatic but not your ordinary fun game. I hope the game is even more serious and mature.

Hmm did a little more oogling on those videos and the G36 with a short barrel seems like a mix of a K and C model... confused_o.gif

Shorter barrel of the C but the higher handel/sight module of the K. Then again I guess by looking at a comparision picture of the C and K that the higher K handel might acctually fit on the C model too.

For me it worked that way in Elite. The immersion. Many a times i gazed at all the dead bodies lying around (even of the 'enemy') and thought 'What a waste'. 'Battle at le Port' tells such a story. Many times i went to check out what happened to my guys in a designed mission only to see the dead bodies scattered around with me trying to figure out what the heck went wrong.

Good stuff BIS, hoping for more un-glorified serious warfare in ArmA.

In This part of the ArmAShootingRange movie we can see clear that BIS is still using that 5 year old ofp engine. The outdoor sunlighting reflects on the soldier inside the bulding.

Also the rest of the lighting and shadows (if there are) effects inside are wierd. I thought that BIS said that ArmA was build around a complete new engine. Wat are u ppl try to sell here, a new game or a remake.

Yep, its never been said that it was a completely new engine, only an update of the ofp engine so we have something to play while they work on game 2.

Yep, its never been said that it was a completely new engine, only an update of the ofp engine so we have something to play while they work on game 2.

But they have implied that ArmA uses the same engine (Real Virtuality 2) as VBS2 which isn't true. They said same technology but ArmA is only using small parts of it, the rest is filled with the technology from OFP:Elite.

In This part of the ArmAShootingRange movie we can see clear that BIS is still using that 5 year old ofp engine. The outdoor sunlighting reflects on the soldier inside the bulding.

Also the rest of the lighting and shadows (if there are) effects inside are wierd. I thought that BIS said that ArmA was build around a complete new engine. Wat are u ppl try to sell here, a new game or a remake.

its why i asked lightmap for buildings, not a lightmap generator for O2 but at least support of multitexturing so we can get good interior lightning.

i wanted to use the same diffuse texture for all walls + lightmap grayscale textures to give them some details but maybe arma engine cant afford this...

I have a big pretty-please to anyone who has the preview version. In the earliest russian videos we can see a bridge collapsing. [ http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=9681 ]

I am veryvery interested in seeing this bridge more in depth, please someone, if you have the time and the GC preview version, find this bridge and make some clips of it collapsing so we can tell if it is dynamic or not.

About the AA/VBS2 thing,they said AA is an upgraded flashpoint engine which has some of the added abilities and extensions of VBS2,they run on similar engine but not the same. And that video only shows the soldiers lightened on the inside on the first person view,on the other soldier you see him as being shadowed.

And if you 2 was enough for BIS, I'm sure they would make it as realistic as possible, but for most other, ultra realism still doesn't sell. wink_o.gif If BIS wants to attract new players, and not just have to stick with all the old buggers, then they need a game that is balanced, not too arcadeish, but still not so realistic that it makes the game boring...

Realism is a relative term. I don't think that adding more realism to the weapon handling our vehicle damage model could possibly hurt this game (and subsequently its sales). At the same time too much realism in mission design (where 90% of the time you would not see any action, like in the real life) would be unacceptable for most players.

I believe that most of the people on this board are smart enough to realize this when they make their suggestions for improvements. Even if not, BIS is sure as hell smart enough to realize this. That's why I think that it is silly when people (I don't mean you specifically, I know that you have made good suggestions in other threads) point out the obvious by saying that "You can have too much realism". Sure you can, but as of now there are still plenty of outstanding realistic additions to make that will only improve the game play.

As for realism not selling... I personally don't believe that. I think that realistic games sell just fine, provided that the game offers the players more than just realism (i.e. the graphics, sound, UI are all top notch). All else being equal, mature gamers want more realism not less. That is why most military games that come out these days tout themselves as being "authentic", "realistic", "designed by military experts", etc; even though in most cases they fall short of their promise. Obviously realism is a big selling point; otherwise they would not base their advertisements around those claims.

The real reason that you see so few realistic games right now is because the developers lack creativity and determination to do their research and make realism work (same reason why you see so few realistic war movies). However, on a rare occasion when the development team is willing to invest their time (original OFP development took more than 5 years) to make a realistic game that does not neglect graphics, UI and other game elements; such game enjoys great success with the consumers. OFP: CWC is a clear example of that.

Peace,

DreDay

Hopefully we won't be firing "SABOT" rounds from all the guns. in OFP there were no proper bullet weights, not to mention that bullets acted like laser guns without ballistics. Guess what, bullets don't fly in the straight line until they hit something...

This is the priority on my list, and after seeing bunch of movies, I now seriously doubt we will get hardcore milsim in that field.

Hopefully we won't be firing "SABOT" rounds from all the guns. in OFP there were no proper bullet weights, not to mention that bullets acted like laser guns without ballistics. Guess what, bullets don't fly in the straight line until they hit something...

Galileo threw two balls which have different weights from a top of Torre di Pisa. The two balls landed at the same time then he concluded the weight of matter doesn't affect its ballistics. smile_o.gif

BTW, OFP already has a propper ballistics. No bullet in ofp acts like laser beam. pistols.gif

This is the priority on my list, and after seeing bunch of movies, I now seriously doubt we will get hardcore milsim in that field.

Are you trying to tell us that Flashpoint didn't have bullet drop over distance? You're saying that all Flashpoint weapons fired like lasers, with no drop whatsoever, no matter how far you were shooting/

If that's what you're saying, I question whether you've ever played Flashpoint before. The game clearly models such ballistics.

Galileo threw two balls which have different weights from a top of Torre di Pisa. The two balls landed at the same time then he concluded the weight of matter doesn't affect its ballistics. smile_o.gif

It does because the 'heavier' projectile will have a lower muzzle velocity due to inertia, but will maintain its velocity for longer due to momentum (which is greater for an object of higher mass). The 'slower' projectile gets to its target later so has more time to succumb to gravity.  wink_o.gif

Wat are u ppl try to sell here, a new game or a remake.

It is impossible then to make it compatible with old addons then would it? wink_o.gif

I think it is an hugely improved OFP:E engine.

I've simply said that original game (without modifications) didn't have proper bullet weights, velocity, etc. if you compare it to RL counterparts.