Sign in to follow this  
Le Minh Duc

Vote for jumping?

I could care less about jumping. I'd prefer a universal ability to climb/scale any obstacle (within reason).

So even if its possible in real life, its not allways realistic in a game. IMHO jumping would totally ruin the ofp feel.

Why have jumping over an obsticle in armed assault? Why would you jump over a stone, when you can simply move around it? Sure, sometimes ive been a bit tired when meeting a fence you can get over. But thats the only time i missed the climb over obstacle feature.

It would be better to include a "cut fence" action instead though.

Climbing would be pretty dumb to add in general. You won't see soldiers climbing buildings playing spider man... thats what special forces it for.

Sure ArmA will feature better collision detection, but it is still a large battlefield simulator, not a rainbow 6 type of swat game. Lets focus on the athmosphear instead of those small details, that wont bring any good to the gameplay anyway.

Agreed,and most of the time any fences you encountered in OFP would have barbedwire or razorwire on the top,I don't know about you guys but I sure as hell wouldn't be climbing those things crazy_o.gif

I don't see any point at all to be able to jump.

It will either be unrealistic or completely useless.

Every single game that has put jumping in it, in a useable fashion, has screwed up it's gameplay.

People don't jump and dodge for bullets!

The only thing that it could be used for in Flahpoint is like.. jumping over logs. But then you ,might aswell just walk over them.

There's alot of good tactical games. The best ones all miss jumping. The SWAT games, Rogue Spear, R6 and Ghost Recon.

No jumping! Realism!

Quote[/b] ]why are people still posting in here.. and why hasn't this thread benn closed yet?

It's interesting to know what people think about different things. The locking of threads on this forum is really not a very welcome thing. So maybe you could leave that to the admins?

i would hate jumping but i would like if you come across a fence you have the option to jump it or climb it huh.gif

It's interesting to know what people think about different things. The locking of threads on this forum is really not a very welcome thing. So maybe you could leave that to the admins?

i just think its stupid for people to wast BIS's and their own time suggesting/requesting/demanding things for ArmAss after BIS has stated that there is to be non of that, since they abvoiusly have compleated ArmAss and couldn't add anything more to it..

if you people want jumping, then go ask for it in the GAME2 forum and not here where its not going to happen. face it.. its too late to be asking for stuff like this to be included into ArmAss.

it almost looks as if the Mods are avoiding this section of the forums.

who ever was in the army knows, JUMPING IS A JOKE

those who wants to jump around can go and play unrealstic cheap fantasy games

A Soldier has 6-7 Kg uniform, without bullet prof jacket

( just helmet boots pants jacket and belts)

6 KG gun

and about 10 KG of ammo

a few Kg special equiptment

its about 25- 30 KG !!!

take 20 KG in your hands and jump common do it lol

JUMPING IS A JOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND UNREALISTIC

i would hate jumping but i would like if you come across a fence you have the option to jump it or climb it huh.gif

Most fences had bardedwire and the only fences you would be interested to scale in OFP were military...and military uses barbed/razor wire so why in the world would you want to climb those?

I agree with Nedal,the equipment used these days is very heavy,not to mention you will be carrying other things on your back and waist,in the end the only 'jumping' you will be doing is pushing your feet off the ground so he can go prone.

Jumping have never been a good thing in war games,ever. People really like to put how they would like to do things and try to put a positive spin,problem is for every positive person there are 5 others out there abusing this ability and bunny hop.

Well, jumping is realistic. But you will only be able to jump about 30cm high and about two feet in length. Try jumping with a rocket launcher and a rifle on your back. So its kinda stupid with jumping(seen battlefield 2 jumping height?Thats weirdo confused_o.gif A anti tank soldier can jump onto an incoming tank)

Should we have ditches and trenches in ArmA (and I haven't a clue if there are) then limited jumping would be a necessity. "Let's walk around," doesn't apply to a damn 100 ft trench. During military training I've undertaken, I often had to jump over obstacles, ditches, damn holes in the ground, streams, trenches et al. with full battle gear on. So I'm fed up of all this "It's not realistic" garbage. IT IS realistic, BUT only to a point. I'm sure that in the future (maybe for Game 2, maybe as an update to ArmA) BI could add a jumping feature proportional to the amount you are carrying. I've seen it done in other games, why not here? Just a thought, not a suggestion!!

Should we have ditches and trenches in ArmA (and I haven't a clue if there are) then limited jumping would be a necessity. "Let's walk around," doesn't apply to a damn 100 ft trench. During military training I've undertaken, I often had to jump over obstacles, ditches, damn holes in the ground, streams, trenches et al. with full battle gear on. So I'm fed up of all this "It's not realistic" garbage. IT IS realistic, BUT only to a point. I'm sure that in the future (maybe for Game 2, maybe as an update to ArmA) BI could add a jumping feature proportional to the amount you are carrying. I've seen it done in other games, why not here? Just a thought, not a suggestion!!

What you dont think about is, that ArmA terran won't have holes, mud etc. that you normally jump over. So jumping won't be realistic in arma smile_o.gif

It miiight have holes and other recesses in the ground. And I'm sure it'll be more friendly towards addon-makers who want to make trenches, shell explosions, mine shafts and that kind of thing.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of making things optional, however much it might weigh upon the engine wink_o.gif.

It's not necessarily thats it not realistic,its that people would get hacks and abuse it,you cannot do this in real life and how many soldiers hop on the front?

I noticed something recently about how everyone who says jumping isn't realistic always uses a real soldiers equipment in their example. What about some resistance soldier who has on a jacket, carries an AK and has 4 mags stuffed in his pockets? He could jump.

That being said I am all for it if it is done realistically. As in the normal 25-30 kg soldier can't do it but someone not carrying much could because there are uses for it. But I also agree with most of you, I don't want bunny hoppers and if you couldn't stop bunny hoppers I could live without it.

i'd say yes, but as BF2 did you get a stamina bar, i'm not saying add a stamina bar but surely each successive jump would be lower and lower until you couldnt jump anymore. then make it so you'd have to stop for a few secs (20-30) while you recover your stamina, that seems like a fair way of doing it and then again aslong as the jump is realistic distance and height (defo for the height!wink_o.gif then i dont see any problems with it. even if they did want to add this, which i dont think they want to; just get someone wearing various weights of equipment and have them jump, measure distance and height and do it like that....thats my thought on jumping/bunnyhopping

It's too easy to brake OFP athmosphere by adding jumping, so I say no. Sure soldier can jump, if he is without all 30-40 kilo gear, but adding jumping can change easily fighting in OFP into some comic book. Well... I vote no (but I vote not for ArmA, but for whole genre).

There is a chance to balance jumping. Lets say animation, where it looks like real jumping. Where you can't aim, where it will take you some to prepare your stance to aiming/firing. What more, where jumping will be usefull to moving horizontally, not verticaly. Lest say, you can jump at 15 cm up, and 1-1,5 meter long (based on how much empty slots you got or randomized). If you jump without run, it would mean much slower jump and a bit shorter.

And about obstacled. In OFP it is often some problem, to get somewhere. They say it is about clipping, but some say it is not a cause of clipping. No matter. It would be ok, if some small obstacles could me taken, like small wall, little rock (lets, say it lays at the front of some small house, when you want to climb eventually).

It could be riched by climbing procedure for 2 or 3 people, as in real, but I think it would be too much for the game. Climbing / jumping is not so important for all gameplay, so or someone has to do it very balanced (bad in combat), or he should just abandon it. In most cases I prefer abandoning.

I noticed something recently about how everyone who says jumping isn't realistic always uses a real soldiers equipment in their example. What about some resistance soldier who has on a jacket, carries an AK and has 4 mags stuffed in his pockets? He could jump.

That being said I am all for it if it is done realistically. As in the normal 25-30 kg soldier can't do it but someone not carrying much could because there are uses for it. But I also agree with most of you, I don't want bunny hoppers and if you couldn't stop bunny hoppers I could live without it.

Jakerod...

Yea, he surely can jump. But the questions is - would he?

He can slo start singing - but he won't. Because being in a battle, most of what you have on your mind, is prevent dying. Neither singing nor jumping will help you that.

First of all, jumping is very hard, physically, and you will need all the speed and energy you have to dodge bullets and engage/get out of the way.

Second of all, when in a battlefield, its all about being as low as possible, making you a harder target for incoming fire.

I'm a former soldier (only in peace though) - and I can honestly say I have never jumped when engaging/defending. I have climbed trees etc. But i guess thats a totally different thing. I see a large difference in climbing things and jumping.

This isnt an old western where you try to "dance and jump" from the bullets smile_o.gif

I am an ex infantryman myself. And tho I never saw combat, in the field I jumped stuff alot. And climbed to no end.  Jumping is a natural movement.  Like leaning etc. If I need to for whatever reason use a jump, I want it there.

A limited jump ability is an easy thing to code. Vietcong had this. And it was never abused.  Instead of pointing your finger at jumping like it is the boogie man, point your fingers at yourselves. At peeps who find it too easy to exploit everything they can.   After that, at least try to come up with a way to not hamstring the movement of players who do NOT attempt to exploit, and would use the ability to jump legitimately.

A limited jump ability using a stamina bar is just the ticket. We get a jump for when we MAY need it, and it can`t be abused.  Better to have a thing and not need it alot of the time, than to not  have a thing and find out ya do.

A climb ability would be nice too actually. If the game is coded so we don`t need a jump, I am all for that as well. But if I run into a brick or low tree debri, and have to run around it, I will be trey` pizzed off. lol

No way. In Iraq, soldiers are not hopping around the field like bunny rabbits avoiding bullets, they are taking cover or running for dear life.

Instead of jumping, there should be a "climb object" button, much like in Call of Duty 2, Infinity Ward pulled that off REAL good and realistically. But jumping is something I think BIS is smart enough NEVER to add into a realistic combat sim.

No jumping,  maby the ability to climb onto things.  but no jumping.

i cant jump with 150 pounds  of Grenades, 5.56 Ammo,Rifle,Body Armor, and anything else id need with me without falling over and/or instantly tireing myself.

I understand yes, you can jump in real life, but in a game its just going to turn into an Olymipic sport of Death and get very aggravating.

I am an ex infantryman myself. And tho I never saw combat, in the field I jumped stuff alot. And climbed to no end.  Jumping is a natural movement.  Like leaning etc. If I need to for whatever reason use a jump, I want it there.

A limited jump ability is an easy thing to code. Vietcong had this. And it was never abused.  Instead of pointing your finger at jumping like it is the boogie man, point your fingers at yourselves. At peeps who find it too easy to exploit everything they can.   After that, at least try to come up with a way to not hamstring the movement of players who do NOT attempt to exploit, and would use the ability to jump legitimately.

A limited jump ability using a stamina bar is just the ticket. We get a jump for when we MAY need it, and it can`t be abused.  Better to have a thing and not need it alot of the time, than to not  have a thing and find out ya do.

Nope, it will be abused and it was abused in VC untill they came up with a patch that limited the amount of jumps one could do in a row, it was still not good enough. The moment a player under fire strafes left/right and jumps to avoid being hit (exploits hit box and netcode data transfer) is the moment the game looses its identity of being more than the ordinary, arcade FPS game. Other than being an exploit open for abuse i have never missed the ability of jumping in OFP and i dont see any practical use for it to be integrated now. I have never even thought about it while carrying combat gear, a loaded G3 and 4 ammo mags either.

Quote[/b] ] A limited jump ability using a stamina bar is just the ticket.

This is how it starts, first comes jumping, now someone sugest the unthinkable.. a stamina bar crazy_o.gif , next comes the option to run&gun, a small map HUD in the corner of the screen and we end up with long range CS/Quake.

No thank you, thats just not the game i become adicted to 4 years ago smile_o.gif .

I see attitudes still have not changed with this community.

Stamina just means you can only do a thing to that things limits. I have never seen jump abuse in VC, cause I came into that game a year after release, and it just could not be abused at that point. So I know a jump CAN be done that is not abusable, yet allows the players to jump when and if they need to.

I myself played tons of Flashpoint. did the sp campaignes 3 times. I myself hate run n gun. If you love run n gun, Flashpoint or anything BIS style is not the game that draws those peeps anyways. Don`t jump to conclusions so fast..

There are ways to include a jump ability done right. Better this than to totally get negative and come up with a world of "oh no.... it is gonna start with this, and then oh no this, and oh no that". Before ya try to read anything into my posts, at least try to see where I am coming from so you understand me at least?

Again, I don`t like hoppers, never have. I really don`t dig run n gun. In Flashpoint, I played that game like I did it in real life. But, in mil combat games I like a full range of human movement. An example. Men Of Valor. They designed that game around no jump. And then? If a small brick was on the ground, or some low debri you know damned well you should easily be able to jump over was in your way, their collision would not allow you to go over it. You`d actually have to walk around a small brick on the ground. I cannot stress to you how freaking annoying it is when this happens. This was my point for wanting a limited jump function. Just cause some azzhats somewhere are gonna find ways to abuse a thing, I`d rather try to find a way to have it, than to cold turkey say NO.

As I stated above. If BIS designs the game in such a way as this never happens, awesome.

No jumping, maby the ability to climb onto things. but no jumping.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say, seconded!

Well I don't play multiplayer , but could you imagine playing in a nail biting, tense game, possibly the best game you've ever played and you have one shot to win the match. You line up the opposition in the cross hairs... steady... steady... pull the trigger now aaaaannnnnnnndddd...

*jump*

Bit of an atmosphere destroying moment. Don't forget that ArmA will have Join In Progress as well, so you could have some dickhead join in just to disrupt the game.

Personally, I wouldn't object to some sort 'context-sensitive climb action' added to the scroll menu when you come within a foot of an obstacle above knee height. Just select the'climb action' and a pre-programmed animation kicks in.

Meh, you could just walk over the brick, dont think jumping would be needed to overcome obstacles such has bricks and stones? MoV was poorly done if the lack of a jumping feature prevented players from walking over a brick..

Arma is not MoV nor VC, jumping will not serve any purpose here imo, if you under fire you ass will be on the ground if your patroling your ass stays on the ground, hence jumping = unecessary feature likely to be exploited.