Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

FFUR - Huge Release !!

dont use different special forces the SAS units look so nice and they are the most trained special forces in the world cant get rid of them

Also the 2005 soldiers look great very nice work

@ Symbiot

- I vote you do it, and then tell Thundies when you're finished. Good luck to you guys!

@ Thundies - US units looking good. Waiting with bated breath.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, really appreciate you like'em.

Quote[/b] ]@ Symbiot

- I vote you do it, and then tell Thundies when you're finished. Good luck to you guys!

Special thanks to Symbiot and nightkiller for their kindness, furthermore this would be helpful to all addon makers who want to implement llauma heads to their soldiers.

smile_o.gif

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

YAY thnaks for doing it biggrin_o.gif

Also ive recently had problems with OFP so i re installed it all works fine now

I went to install FFUR Nordic islands and it doesnt seem to work Desert Island works fine all other Islands dont have many bushes and trees on it i am prompt with an error saying something like

Cant access Tree.P3D in BRG_En

or something or other basically saying it can access cetain plants from the addon which i do have in my addons folder and i have very little trees whislt playing the game very anooying

Any reasons why that may happen ?

Corrupt file maybe ?

well fixed it by placing the addon into my default addons folder

But one thing before i used a mod folder with an addons fodler in and put the addon in there it worked before until i came up with my porblem on my other post

Any reaon why its not working now and how could i get it to work in the mod folder again becuase i prefer my Res/addons and Addons folder to just have BIS addons in none others

nope you must replace old BIS files for the Nordic islands which is a shame i think if you were to edit the Config there might be away of getting it to work in a mod folder but if you were to rename the folder you would get no end of errors

If i was you just backup the original files and replace them

nope you must replace old BIS files for the Nordic islands which is a shame i think if you were to edit the Config there might be away of getting it to work in a mod folder but if you were to rename the folder you would get no end of errors

If i was you just backup the original files and replace them

Ok!

But when does it laggs when i play with the replacement on mp??

ive not encountered any lag using the islands in MP but yet again i dont play MP much to busy making my camapign.

But i dont seem to ever have much lag with ofp

System Specs

Nvidia XFX Geforce 6600GT 256Mb (AGP)

768MB RAM

AMD 1806.2 MHX

Benchmark is over 4500

Hi,

Quote[/b] ]But when does it laggs when i play with the replacement on mp??

I'd suggest the use of the 'low islands pack' for the mp game because some issues might occur when using online the high reso pack.

Btw, I'd like to show you the new tanks burning effect done a few hours ago in order to replace the previous one.

Several enhancements have been carried out on it (More particles, realistic flames, fire on the turret, increased the size of the smoke...etc).

Movie

Any constructive feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

smile_o.gif

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

The new tank explosion looks great. This is a shot from up close, can you give a screenshot of it a bit farther away so I can see the smoke rise to the sky?

the effects look great but i think theres far too much black smoke atleast make it more transparent in my opinion.

The fire looks great. Also is there a way of making the smoke just drift all over the place apart from just straight up?

As in on that the smoke starts pouring out and upwards. Wouldnt in real life the smoke start bellowing around the tank not just upwards this also causes on wind conditions but the shock and wind coming from an exploding tank would make the smoke rise a bit slower and would blow out in different directions.

But apart from that it looks amazing wow_o.gif

TB,

Seeing that new explosive effect immediately makes me recall the work that John is doing on the very same type of feature. His latest screenshots of his work can be found here: http://ofp.gamezone.cz/forum/index.php?showtopic=24047

His work certainly looks "Call of Duty" good, which means, of course, that it looks fantastic, but I have to wonder how smoothly it all runs in game.

But back to the video at hand... It looks substantially better than the previous FFUR effect, and that's saying a lot since the FFUR effects were already a huge improvement over what we received with the default OFP.

The flames do indeed look a lot more real. Having never seen a tank explosion in real life, I'm just going to have to trust that the broad and thick cloud of smoke that's produced when it's destroyed is accurate. In the end, however, my main concern is "realism," so as long as it's accurate to its source, then I won't mind.

Keep up the amazing work TB. It really shines!

Kyle

Jan. 21, 2006

smile_o.gif

Can you make the tanks die like in Liberation Mod? Basically they just turn a blackish tint, they don't actually explode. Much like real life. Maybe you can do a random 1 > 0.8 : bigexplosion effect, but otherwise I like LibMod's effects in tank warfare..

Yeah, I think a little less explosions would be more realistic. Especially with APFSDS shells, the tank that gets disabled just kicks up a bit of dust and stops moving while the crew tries to bail out - maybe flames coming out of the cupola if at all?

Of course, this description doesn't describe tanks hit in their ammunition stores! Boom!

Hi,

Quote[/b] ]The new tank explosion looks great. This is a shot from up close, can you give a screenshot of it a bit farther away so I can see the smoke rise to the sky?

Smoke particles in 'OFP world' have the same density than air, exactly like in real life, and OFP engine allows changing those values in order to make 10 times the mass of the particles higher than before by still keeping a constant effect of the wind on the smoke's direction and it doesn't require any 'additional' scripting.

Quote[/b] ]Seeing that new explosive effect immediately makes me recall the work that John is doing on the very same type of feature. His latest screenshots of his work can be found here: http://ofp.gamezone.cz/forum/index.php?showtopic=24047

His work certainly looks "Call of Duty" good, which means, of course, that it looks fantastic, but I have to wonder how smoothly it all runs in game.

Unfortunately OFP effects are based on realistic particles that have the same density than air and not on animated 'textures' like in other games (CoD2, MOH...etc).

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, I think a little less explosions would be more realistic. Especially with APFSDS shells, the tank that gets disabled just kicks up a bit of dust

'working on this way.

Quote[/b] ]an you make the tanks die like in Liberation Mod? Basically they just turn a blackish tint, they don't actually explode

It depends on the impact's power and on the ammunition behind it, Lib explosion effects are very nice and they fit perfectly to WWII tanks because of the shells WWII tanks were using, but according to modern shells power, such explosions wouldn't be that realistic for some actual MBTs.

But we would decrease the smoke density in order to make it closer to Lib one.

'will come up with a new explosion movie ASAP.

Thanks all for your constructive comments, though.

smile_o.gif

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

Also i think with the older effects that if you ran up to the tank you were given the option to 'put out fire'. As it was a fire that you created at the tanks position ?

Also a cool offect would be that the tanks pass on the flames like if the player was to run up to it after a small time they will catch fire and die. Like in General Barrons Fire Effect scripts.

Also if a tank was to explode next to a house and the house doesnt destroy the tanks flames will cause the house to catch on fire, then after about 20 seconds the house will get destroyed and be a raging house fire.

Oh and if burnig tank crews wont be placed in how about if men are close the a tank when it explodes but odnt die they will catch fire. (But make a random chance of this as it may cause lag)

Just a few thoughts which will truly add a lot to the game.

So many features would definitely decrease the framerate level when several tanks would be destroyed because such additions would require an extra scripting.

It's best to keep the burning script simple but efficient and visually decent.

Btw, 'enhanced the smoke effect of the destroyed tanks.

A few shots...

burn18wh.jpg

burn20th.jpg

burn30iw.jpg

The particles around the wreck simulate 'burning ammunitions' that haven't exploded during the main explosion.

smile_o.gif

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

about your reskinned US soldiers. Will you be also putting the reskinned camoflague on the 1985 era soldiers as well? This could be used for your 1985 ffur mods.

and also, do you know anything about the spetsnaz mod shilka? Have you been able to contact them and ask for their addon to use in the upcoming ffur update ?

Quote[/b] ]about your reskinned US soldiers. Will you be also putting the reskinned camoflague on the 1985 era soldiers as well? This could be used for your 1985 ffur mods.

That's envisaged for 1985 woodland pack US soldiers as well.

Quote[/b] ]and also, do you know anything about the spetsnaz mod shilka? Have you been able to contact them and ask for their addon to use in the upcoming ffur update ?

The shilka's almost finished but Manfred's unfortunately unable to put it online because of some internet problems.

Regards

Thunderbird84

The smoke effect looks good but those funnel clouds look more like tornados than smoke plumes! In reality the further away smoke gets from its source the more scattered and irregular it becomes this is especially so if it is windy. Smoke will go up fairly straight on a calm day, but in a wind it won't look anything like that second screeny of yours! wink_o.gif

If U want to make smoke look realistic on a windy day U need to make it scatter much more. Of course I know U are limited to the abilities of OFP and that U'r trying to limit scripting effects. But tbh I think both smoke funnels are too narrow and especially the second one trying to bend in the wind!

Also U should grade the density of the smoke out much sooner as it rises and disperses so U don't get that sudden 'cuttoff' to nothing!  wink_o.gif

Just my two cents TB, otherwise looking good.  tounge2.gif

I endorse Red Kite's suggestion of having the smoke plumes fade out more gradually, and if it doesn't cause too much lag, have the smoke trails distort more distinctly as if being affected by wind.

I would avoid adding code that would allow the player to "put out the fire" that's emanating from vehicles or buildings. This kind of option is fine for campfires or other modest sources of flame, but any kind of vehicle fire would require a significant amount of time to extinguish in real life. Certainly a lone individual could not put out a burning tank within a matter of a couple of seconds' worth of effort.

I also endorse your caution before making radical changes to dampen down the explosive effects of tank shells on tanks. The amount of explosive power that was available in WWII was dramatically less than what is today. That being said, while WWII tanks that were destroyed may have not always resulted in the kind of spectacular explosions we'd like to think would have occurred, I've seen footage of a Panzerfaust's rocket striking a sheet of metal, and the amount of mostly smoke that was generated at the impact point was ENORMOUS and long lasting. About a month ago, The History Channel aired an in depth documentary on American WWII tank crews, and it was very surprising to me how many of the Shermans that were "destroyed" by German armor could also be repaired and returned to battle. Most of the tank crews spoke of their lost comrades of having died from smoke inhalation and shrapnel wounds, so internal fires must've been pretty common.

In regards to modern tank warfare, most of the footage I've seen of M1A2s firing at T72s, show shell impacts that generate a ton of smoke and a limited amount of fire/sparks. However, almost immediately afterwards fire comes jetting out of the target's hatches, and if the ammo store is struck, there's a brilliant cascade of "fireworks" that lasts for 5-10 seconds. Of course all of the points that discharge fire also generate thick plumes of smoke.

Of course, there's tons of conditions that can lead to all kinds of results. I just trust that whatever approach you decide to take will be a striking and well thought out one.

No doubt about it, being inside a vehicle struck by a tank has to be a VERY bad experience.

Yours,

Kyle

Jan. 22, 2006

smile_o.gif

Well even if you made it so tanks don't explode like they do in ofp (get to a point, crumble and effects shoot out) but just make them catch on fire on a random 1 > 0.5, that would be superb.

Also, see FDF's smoke effects for how they did it. It's only a few droplets and it fades way up high and looks VERY good/professional. And I still don't think modern MBT's explode. I've seen mavericks hit a tank (sure in military channel, stfu), but only the mavericks really explode. The tanks are useless and they catch fire, but they don't really explode. So please.. Libmod style!

I'm down for libmod style only because my computer is slow as shit biggrin_o.gif

Hello people. I got back to OFP lately and was really impressed by the FFUR packs. My favorite is the European pack but I have a small problem: In the editor I don't have a truck for European forces. When I launched the 1985 campgain I saw that it supposed to be a Man 5t from BW mod. However I only have the wolf, wolf MG and Unimog (which only houses 3 passangers) in mission editor under "German - Cars".  Any help is appriciated. Also a question: Why not use the DKM's Tunguska instead of the shilka on the 2005 and Europe packs. This is what the Russians use today for Low-level air defence. Look in This official Russian site for more  info on what the Russians offer for sale (and use)