Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

FFUR - Huge Release !!

@ Thunderbird

Im sure this has already been asked...(there being 70 pages or text!wink_o.gif but is there going to be a FFur 'light' pack that utilises your amazing FX and effects but with other mods such as FDF so that it uses thier weapons and units?

I mean i guess there is a way of doing that at the moment, if there is does anyone have the time to let me know how to do it!

Ta

for the next version can you please change the AI vision lower being able to see upto 2000 metres and spot a T72 and report it as enemy in pouring down radin and fog isnt very realistic and it ruins many missions where they were perfectly fine before

i was just playing 'The BlackGap' By Sui ive played it quite a lot before never once ocured a problem but playing with FFUR 1985 woodland the chopper we start in was engaged by an enemy 50calibre from way over 600 metres and then shot down by a T72 from upto 2000 metres away which stops me now from playing the mission iwth any of the FFUR packs

please can you reset the vision to the original OFP settings ?

Here's my two cents on using non-magnifying aiming aides and on using ironsights:

For the life of me I cannot understand why whenever the player uses ironsights or other non-magnifying aiming devices the view that the player is given is magnified. Not only does this not make any sense, it's also physically IMPOSSIBLE for this kind of event to take place in the real world.

Yes, I know that OFP is a game, but from my experiences from playing Infiltration (please thoroughly check out its website here: http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/infmanual/ ) the advantages and disadvantages of not "zooming in" while using ironsights or non-magnifying aiming devices balance each other out. The disadvantage of having realistic aiming is that there is no "zoom in," but its advantages are that one does not lose the ability to track the target that's seen in the realistic wider view. I can't count the number of times that I've cursed OFP's magnifying of ironsights because the enemy (especially when that enemy is close) that I had intended to aim at is now missing from my zoomed in screen, and I now have to frantically hunt for the target that was once clearly visible.

I believe in having realistic ironsights so much, that I'm probably going to soon start a separate thread on this matter, just to see how the rest of the community feels on this subject.

Here are a couple of quick screenshots that clearly illustrate what I'm talking about.

p><p><a  href=http://img468.imageshack.us/img468....MG]

The rifle has been raised to my eye, and since I'm using an Aimpoint, there is rightfully NO magnification and thus my view rightfully should NOT change. I can EASILY keep track of my targets and surroundings, without there being any dramatic and unrealistic "zoom ins" that only serve to LOSE your target and put you at greater risk.

And that's why I strongly prefer non-magnification for unscoped weapons.

Have to go now.

Yours,

Kyle

Dec. 10, 2005

http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/smile_o.gif' alt='smile_o.gif'>

@ Thunderbird

Im sure this has already been asked...(there being 70 pages or text!wink_o.gif but is there going to be a FFur 'light' pack that utilises your amazing FX and effects but with other mods such as FDF so that it uses thier weapons and units?

I mean i guess there is a way of doing that at the moment, if there is does anyone have the time to let me know how to do it!

Ta

The latest version of CSLA2 has an FFUR effects option in the installer. This works because it's integrated into CSLA 2, but I think if you ran it a 'FFUR Effects Pack' as a standalone to be used in conjunction with another mod, it probably would cause conflicts with configs. Ultimately it's down to modmakers what effects they want to use with their work.

I've always thought of the zooming effect when looking down the iron sight as a way of representing you focusing your attention on the target. I've never actualy fired a real weapon but I imagine when you pull the gun up and squint with one eye while taking aim your not using your peripheral vision much.

And I've never lost a target doing this..? Why would you even switch to iron sight if your target wasn't at least somewhat lined up?

I find the way it is down now to be perfect if not the most physicaly realistic.

I've always thought of the zooming effect when looking down the iron sight as a way of representing you focusing your attention on the target. I've never actualy fired a real weapon but I imagine when you pull the gun up and squint with one eye while taking aim your not using your peripheral vision much.

And I've never lost a target doing this..? Why would you even switch to iron sight if your target wasn't at least somewhat lined up?

I find the way it is down now to be perfect if not the most physicaly realistic.

I got to hold a few (decommisioned) weapons a few weeks ago at an exhibition. What struck me was how small the ironsights are. OFP potrays them to be these big huge things that are right up agaist your eye, but looking through them at eye level holding the gun properly, they seemed very small and distant, and that you really had to concentrate if you to aim the thing at a distant target. There certainly wouldnt be much of a perhiperal vision value. I think what's excelent about Benus' ironsights is that it shows some of the guns as well as just the reticule.

For the life of me I cannot understand why whenever the player uses ironsights or other non-magnifying aiming devices the view that the player is given is magnified.  Not only does this not make any sense, it's also physically IMPOSSIBLE for this kind of event to take place in the real world.  

The problem with any shooting simulator is that there are going to be many things in real life that just can't be simulated on a PC monitor. In this case it is the act of raising a gun to your shoulders and looking down the iron sights, concentrating hard as you line up the vee with the pin and then focusing in on your target.

When the gun is in this position your peripheral vision is pretty much reduced anyhow due to the proximity of the gun to your face and the fact that your concentration is pretty much all consuming. Just holding the rifle steady on the target cannot be simulated that well on a PC.

Thus good shooting simulators have to come up with ways of representing some of these real life scenarios. OFP thus uses a slight zooming in to simulate this increased level of concentration and lack of peripheral awareness. I find this quite acceptable and feels much more natural than those pictures in your post. If you need to look around again you would have to drop the gun away from your face in any case just as you would revert to the normal view in the game. xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]1985 woodland the chopper we start in was engaged by an enemy 50calibre from way over 600 metres and then shot down by a T72 from upto 2000 metres away which stops me now from playing the mission iwth any of the FFUR packs

please can you reset the vision to the original OFP settings ?

Tanks firing range has been increased for more realism, to avoid being hit, don't stay static in order to retire out of range of your adversary's visual field.

Such dynamic ironsights are definitely impossible to make in OFP, simply because possibilities of carrying'em out in OFP is very limited, they're just 2D, a texture applied on a p3d with a defined target point which is always visible in the displayed area.

Not more, Not less.

ArmA would hopefully make less ironsights limitations.

Quote[/b] ]but is there going to be a FFur 'light' pack that utilises your amazing FX and effects but with other mods such as FDF so that it uses thier weapons and units?

You have to know that the majority of the current mods usually have their own effects, and the same goes for FDF, combining it with FFUR would simply cause a lot of errors.

The envisaged multi configs would be lighter than 'single player' ones, though.

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

TB, now that Berghoff has fixed his trees in his great looking new nature pack, will U be using them in a new version of your fabulous high res islands? icon_rolleyes.gif

blackhawkdown_020303_37.jpg

(Image seize 100.87 kb, hope that is ok)

In that screen you see a much better effect of how it really is to use an aimpoint sight as opposed to an iron sight. Iron sights block out your vision as most ppl need to close one eye to pear through them, while with an aimpoint both eyes are open and the stereo effect of that blurs out the aimpoints tube/frame so that it don't obscure your vision.

Befor you have tried it in real life it can be hard to understand just how much diffrent it is.

While aimpoints graphics like, for instance Earls, are very nice renders they don't do justice to the advantages you get from an aimpoint sight. They block WAY to much of the screen, obscuring targets that would not happen in real life.

Black Hawk Down....

mmmm......that was the first mission i played....

I liked most Operation Irene

So the aimpoint as I understand it is designed to be used with both eyes open, hence both eyes see the target but only one eye sees the point. No pun intended!  wink_o.gif

In that case the Black Hawk Down implementation of this type of scope as shown in your picture is the correct one.

Now there's something for TB to think about!  huh.gif

hey everyone...

about the aimpoints and scopes ... everyone who has tested or played with the Swedish Forces Pack 4 may have realized it ... they have introduced an effect for their aimpoints that uses a TRANSPARENT GRADIENT to make one side of the scope transparent ... there are several problems with it and that is why it looks so "STRANGE". first thing is ... as far as I know it is only possible to use one Gradient for the alpha channel ... so only one gradient for the whole texture ... second problem is ... it looks good in photoshop ... but when you convert the pic into a .PAA you will have the following effect:

(this is not from the SFP 4)

transtest.jpg

it is a very nice effect but it looks strange ... I tried something like that before without using the gradient tool ... but it needs time and doesn't look that good.

maybe I find a way better way ...

benus

Arent there Aimpoints with magnifition. Think its possible to choose with 2x magnification.

Thunderbird,if i were you i wouldn't concern myself to much with the last few post's,ie size of iron sights ect. I've played the game for the last 4 years and i have had no problems or thought's about it! I think(and this is only my opinion coz England is a free country) that if you try to do any major changes in this department you will only start to introduce more problems and bugs ect. As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't try and fix it confused_o.gif EDIT= in a nutshell concentrate on more important things

Arent there Aimpoints with magnifition. Think its possible to choose with 2x magnification.

Yes, but the US Millitary dont use them.

I agree with Action Man, maybe the current ironsights aren't 100% realistic, but what is? I think they're grand the way they are.

Quote[/b] ]I agree with Action Man, maybe the current ironsights aren't 100% realistic, but what is? I think they're grand the way they are.

ineed leave them as they are there great no need to make them better

Regarding the aimpoint's Benus, I think you'r close to cracking it with that photo. Just one question though: On which weapons are these scopes gonna be mounted?

I don't remember using any up 'till now in OFP. So pressumably it's for the 2005 pack only?   biggrin_o.gif

IIRC its shall be for the M4 which is replacing the M16 since the M4A1 is more comonly used in the modern day army

Heres a thought how about officers have the M16 since it would make sense that the higher the rank the more likely there going to use an M16 but im not sure how often the M16 is used anyway

Hi mates,

Quote[/b] ]TB, now that Berghoff has fixed his trees in his great looking new nature pack, will U be using them in a new version of your fabulous high res islands?

Will try to deal with'em in order to implement'em.

will keep you informed.

Quote[/b] ]IIRC its shall be for the M4 which is replacing the M16 since the M4A1 is more comonly used in the modern day army

Heres a thought how about officers have the M16 since it would make sense that the higher the rank the more likely there going to use an M16 but im not sure how often the M16 is used anyway

Actually the M16A2 is still the most common used weapon in the US army. But we've replaced it by the M16A4 in order to enjoy people who requested it even it's mainly used by the US Marines.

and because it gives a nice touch to the modern pack as well.

Btw, it seems that there's a big part of the US army officers posted in IraQ who carry the M4 (and variants) as main firearm.

so we've done the same for FFUR Modern Pack officers.

US Officers -> M4 Reflex

US Army privates -> M16A4

US grenadiers -> M16A4/M203

US Marksman -> M4A1 with scope & Bipod.

US SpecOps ->M4SD Acog

Quote[/b] ]Thunderbird,if i were you i wouldn't concern myself to much with the last few post's,ie size of iron sights ect

Indeed, the shot showed by Jotte seems very interesting but I'm sure a lot of people who're accustomed to play with 'OFP's classical ironsights' might find it weird...

wink_o.gif

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

hmm I don't like that the Marskman has a M4 better give him an M16 better as a precision rifle.

STGN

There's a M4 variant done especially for middle range fightings, with scope, bipod and a special cross.

Regards

TB84

who will the USmarksman replace theres no marksman on the default game and it cant be the sniper can it ?

The M4A1 is used by all enlisted and officer ranks in the Army (with the exception of the SAW and M240B). Officer's usually use the same weapon as the enlisted members (to aviod conflicts) inculding the higher ups, but the higher you get the less likely that you will be issued a rifle (mostly they carry a sidearm)

Some units still use the M16A2, though most have switched to the A4's mainly the Mech Infantry Divisions.

As for the Marksmen issue, the Army uses two variants, one which is the modified M16 (seen in this photo)

http://www4.army.mil/OCPA/uploads/large/CSA-2005-06-01-145541.jpg

and the other which is a modified M4. seen here (with the M16 SDM-R)

http://www4.army.mil/OCPA/uploads/large/CSA-2005-06-22-081040.jpg

Just a suggestion can the FFUR team can implement a M68 reflex scope on the M16A4? or would it be a problem with balancing the two sides?