Sign in to follow this  
Jinef

Zeus Gaming Nights

Very nice games last night gentlemen.

I really enjoyed jinefs a&dm missions where i relised what firefights should be like. Even though we were only 15vs8 it felt like a full on battle. With no respawn whatsoever, nobody took any risks, and emptied the clip at anything that had a remote chance of being an enemy. While that was going on, rpgs were flying, fire team was surpressing with the machine gun, and assault team was advancing while the machinegunner and the rpg-rifleman were being constantly resupplied, all in the heat of battle, not to mention the mission being at early dawn and bn880s tracers creating a nice show....whoa. One of the best ofp experiences i've had

Here is a few screens from the same short game:

Cant see much can you? It was every so slighly lighter in the mission, but never the less, it was dark.

simontipsidark.jpg

Oh yes sir it was dark. Same Picture, photoshoped to be brighter. On the left is a resistance soldier, namely simon, while on the right is the soviet officer, tipsi. These guys lied down next to each other and never noticed eachother for about a minute. Until simon smelt something to his left that is...

simontipsilight.jpg

Drat, too bad I couldn't attend; sounds like you had a great game!

That's the plan ryan. Thankyou for your nice comments.

Ok wankez, I updated the following missions to use CoC_NS and be more efficient.

(I imagine it won't be a marked difference though)

Fuel Depot

Mortar Pit

Radio Station

Stopped Convoy 1,2,3+4 (Formerly Platoon Attack Series)

A&D Domensk

New Missions:

A&D SBS Raid

(Some British SBS combat swimmers are tasked with destroying a radar sitting on a big rock in the middle of the sea. While the Desertian Islanders Liberation Army puts up a feeble defence with tokarevs and molotovs.)

Ok wankez, I updated the following missions to use CoC_NS and be more efficient.

(I imagine it won't be a marked difference though)

Fuel Depot

Mortar Pit

Radio Station

Stopped Convoy 1,2,3+4 (Formerly Platoon Attack Series)

A&D Domensk

Not marked but noted. Sending box of cookies to Jinef...

Quote[/b] ]

New Missions:

A&D SBS Raid

(Some British SBS combat swimmers are tasked with destroying a radar sitting on a big rock in the middle of the sea. While the Desertian Islanders Liberation Army puts up a feeble defence with tokarevs and molotovs.)

Oh god... not the big rock of "why isn't this CS" again.

I had a good but short time this weekend, hope I get healed soon to stick around longer, missed the Zeus plonker gang. Oh and thank you for the Benny Hill theme welcome. biggrin_o.gif That warmed my heart!

nice games, again. I think looz'es A&D really has some nice potential. Here is a screeny, showing the aftermath of the fight on the hill the (assaulting) heavy weapons squad was set up. Photoshoped and all. At the background is the hill the village east is meant to be attacking.

hillofdoom.jpg

"Is" or "was"? biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, it was fairly fun... first no contacts, the my character reports one near the place we got, oh just friendlies there... about 15 mins later, when we move into the forest, Ryan (right?) gets shot. crazy_o.gif Then we move, attack a little patrol or 2 there, I decide to start sniping, we attack the town... and suddenly MG fire all over. Kudos for that sneaky guy, got pretty much all of us... RPK vs PK at the end heh. whistle.gif

I enjoyed Navette. It was noisy, confusing and I really need a "Kick Soldier" action as I, the platoon commander, was running up and down the lines constantly shouting at people trying to get them to fire.

I think what would be useful in that situation is the 'leader' HUD icon usually visible in cadet mode. But preferably without any other shit, to enable the cohesion you would have in reality with increased recognition/situational awareness.

Some quotes:

"RIFLE ALPHA REGROUP FOR FUCK'S SAKE!" - Cpl Shiz (RAAB)

"WHERE THE FUCK IS RIFLE CHARLIE???" - Me

Memorable moment:

Fire support squad is pinned down on the right flank, taking heavy fire from enemy MGs. LWLooser, the section commander says "Right, i've had enough of this". He grabs a Javelin AT missile, stands up on this ridgeline amid a hail of tracers and fires this Javelin right at the enemy positions.

With thanks to:

Mr. Igor - One of the best bloody mortar operators in the Zeus community. Throughout the firefight our 60mm mortars were constantly dropping on the enemy positions, adding to the chaos and killing a few for sure.

adding to the chaos and killing a few for sure.

a few is an understatement jinef... but im not going to tell the exact figures... sad_o.gif

Mr. Igor - One of the best bloody mortar operators in the Zeus community. Throughout the firefight our 60mm mortars were constantly dropping on the enemy positions, adding to the chaos and killing a few for sure.

Ooh, don't let walker hear that wink_o.gif

"Is" or "was"? biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, it was fairly fun... first no contacts, the my character reports one near the place we got, oh just friendlies there... about 15 mins later, when we move into the forest, Ryan (right?) gets shot. crazy_o.gif  Then we move, attack a little patrol or 2 there, I decide to start sniping, we attack the town... and suddenly MG fire all over. Kudos for that sneaky guy, got pretty much all of us... RPK vs PK at the end heh. whistle.gif

damn you all up on that hill biggrin_o.gif i had to run miles to flank that AGS and attack from the South, and after we lost the surprise element your counterattack to recapture that position was galantely defended by my 4 man squad, protected behind a 1mm ridge line yay.gif i must say it was one hell of a show.

All fun and games BUT....... wink_o.gif

....in light of the new crop of A&D mission on the server we need to seriously redefine what defense in OFP actually is.

Im sure you all know that In OFP as opposed to real life, there is no such thing as workable fortifications or  entrenchements. Blast damage on terrain/buildings or bullet penetration is not taken into consideration.

Is it then fair to call anything "defense"?

To many the answer doesnt seem to be obvious for some reason.

IMO, the only viable way have a workable "defense" is initially trough camouflage and not moving. That is basically what defense in OFP is. Think about it. What advantage does a defender have when there are about equal numbers on both sides?

To stand still and not be seen until theyve opened fire. Thats their main advantage. Bar none.

For this to happen the "defender" needs to have a relativly large area to set up in. The attacker needs to move (and therefore more easily spotted) trough this area and then be subjected to confusing flank manouvers. To do this the "defender" needs TIME TO PREPARE AND SETUP HIS ASSETS.

Consider the Platoon attack missions on CATshit Afghanistan. Why is it that the attackers usually has a decent amount of trouble taking the small villages. CAMOFLAGE, thats it. The resistance in those town are looking out towards bare terrain and hilltops that flankers are easily skylined against. The west forces were looking at blocks of buildings and bushes with patterns that easily confuse human eyes. Forget about their actual cover, that can be overcome by simply moving in a circle around the towns and taking potshots once you get a good angle

Settling up on some ruins near a tent or two on a hilltop does NOT constitute a defense.  Giving the "defender" an NSV/AGS does NOT constitute a defense . Some tank traps and a few blocks that are supposed to be buildings does NOT constitute a defense.

For now I can only think of one asset that would actually represent some kind of abstract, albeit decent fortification, and that is an immobile BTR or Bradley with only its chaingun working. Other obvious devices are mines.

Hi all

To OG I would add pre planned defensive indirect fire support to that list of defensive systems.

As to defensive bunkers and fortifications if based on the M113/M2 class they can be given blast protection in their config and the ability of Setposing some objects preplaced out of battle in the mission would give some of the required functionality and is fairly simple to script.

They would have to be single gunner positions but several could be linked. A sensing of the Avatar guner who enters gun type would then activate a particular weapon mimic.

Perhaps a better version of the functionality can be added to WGL similar to crew served weapons or we at the CoC could make it.

Such a system in OFP would have to be limited in numbers as I believe it would cause lag if large numbers were allowed. A simple test would be to fill a map an MP with varying numbers of M2s to establish the lag graph.

On the whole I would rather add such a system to ArmA which is only months from release and who knows what little goodies it already contains and is capable of.

Kind Regards Walker

Hmm, IIRC ECP had incorporated a better (although still flawed) system for blast damage simulation. If I am not mistaken, it was based on the notion that there had to be a clear line of sight between the soldier and the explosive for blast damage to have any effect. In other words: if you lie down behind some sandbags and a grenade explodes in front of them, you don't take any damage. Of course, it isn't perfectly realistic as shockwaves from a blast travel through obstacles. Furthermore, a brush also blocks LOS so according to this system it would protect the soldier from the blast. Still, it's better than taking out 10 people hiding in a building by throwing a grenade at it.

Naturally, the issue of lag also comes into play. I assume this is all done via scripting, so having many units and explosions on the map may prove troublesome.

Gah, I still can't believe BIS failed to model correctly such an important aspect of any infantry sim.

ECP = intensive.

A completely alternate approach if ArmA still has the problem is to have very low damage ammunition/ordnance so only people right next to the blast get killed instantly but have a large indirect damage area, you can then detect the units that were in the 'blast' area, and do effects on them.

Effect: Fragmentation - Wound the guy, drop him to floor, start bleeding etc.

Effect: Concussion - Knock the guy to the floor with a black screen for random time within 2 minutes with a single message, "You are unconcious".

Effect: Heady Injury - Put the player 3000 metres in the air on an invisible surface, set fog to 1 and spawn 300 pink pony addons above the player.

Hey guys. Sorry I havn't replied from the defenders point point of view, but anyway, heres my AAR.

Ok so we won :P :P but that was hugely thanks to having a truely wonderful and cooperative team.

In the briefing screen we were tasked to defend two towns. Fair enough. Our overall intention was to defend the towns, as we were tasked, but I was not going to commit to allowing all my guys sit on their arse in, or around the town, waiting for that AGS or mortar to start bombing the shit out of us, so I decided to minimise the amount of defenders actually in/ around the town to one squad and an MG each. The rest would lie low in the center so that they could move where the situation needed them. We also lost 3 humans, including two full squads, so I had to improvise.

Since I had no clue what I was up against and neither did anyone else, I thought it would be best to send in two scouts to the opposing towns (that being me and mamoo).

Mamoo reported contacts and soon came under fire, so he fell back while I decided to have a look at the enemy movement positions. I met a poor soul who decided to stroll into my forest, next to the ruins, and shot his head a few times and ran the hell out of there. Luckily, it seems east decided to ignore? that their team mate just got raped since no one was looking for me. They instead decided to continue with their HUGE infantry mass onward to the SE town.

Carefully pursuing about 200m behind, I carefully strateigically placed more or less all my team surrounding the last known enemy location, just north of the town in a sort of cresent shape, waiting for them to advance. I think gene and bravo were hopping around the map, making sure no one went to the other town.

Since there was a huge hill blocking my view of the town, and due to my slow but steady pursuit, they managed to mass on the far flank of the town un-noticed.

Meanwhile, my teamates are underfire elsewhere, so i decided to go behind jinefs unfortunate team and wipe them out, to which jinef shouts "FCK THIS SHT" smile_o.gif.

Not knowing the rest of east massed on the flank of the town, they luckily (for us) were shooting ai (souls's mates, disconnected squad) and therefore revealing their position. Since thats where i thought the whole of east was, aswell as hearing AGS fire into the town. I managed to cause some havok, killing a smurf and some other men with rpg's rpks.

After putting an estimate of the AGS position on the map, I ordered all my squads, bar MG's, to surround that AGS and attack it from all directions. I wasnt there to see it but apparently the battle for the AGS was bloody. I think our good communication won through in the end :P.

Soon after the dismissal of the AGS, the opposite town reports enemy contacts, to Bravo and I rush to engage them, again, attacking from different flanks, while the rest of the team was ordered to set a defence around the AGS. Bravo was on the coastline and I mnaged to seak behind them (again) and rape them all. I think this was the moment where Igor only remained, who came to the death of Bravo's AI.

Very good game, I really like the mission Looz. But don't expect people to abide by the "stay in town" rule. If I followed that, I would have got raped.

Quote[/b] ] Meanwhile, my teamates are underfire elsewhere, so i decided to go behind jinefs unfortunate team and wipe them out, to which jinef shouts "FCK THIS SHT" smile_o.gif.

It was looz's team.

The reason I was so frustrated was this, I had just run about this big bloody square for an hour with nothing happening. Let us say an average game night is 5 hours, that is 20% of the night. My fireteam, under the command of looz, is then split off from the whole platoon to sit on a big freaking hill north of the enemy town and shoot at it, so everyone will look at us, great. Looz then sets his AI up in a bunch of trees right next to the town, not much in the way of escape route. Instead setting up an AI defence and directing my fire with binocs looz has us all start to fire sporadically at the town, which does nothing as the AK74s are useless at that range and I have no idea where the enemy are, so me and my PKM just shoot at little blobs, without any feedback of hitting anything.

Then I get shot in the back of the head ... well fucking brilliant.

I respawn into one of these AIs with no ammo in my AK, like 2 rounds. I look back to see what shot me but again I have no binocs, I ask looz to look back but he is oblivious and continues taking pot shots at the town ...

Bang ... shot in the face from 100 metres away by a guy just sitting there for 5 minutes.

Fuck that shit.

This was supposed to be a new concept, with frontlines, and no mans land etc. It felt like a C&H spread over 3 kms, with an hour of nothing.

Since I had no clue what I was up against and neither did anyone else, I thought it would be best to send in two scouts to the opposing towns (that being me and mamoo).

Mamoo reported contacts and soon came under fire, so he fell back while I decided to have a look at the enemy movement positions.

Well, it was me and Igor guarding that town what Mamoo scouted.

I saw mamoo immediately, but I thought that there would be more troops behind hill. Well, I reported about mamoo to our leader and he said that I can engage if I want to. I wait for a while and I see only mamoo still. I open fire, I don't hit and mamoo runs to his jeep.

Trying to connect 6th time now and still have no clue which fucking addon I need to play this damn mission.

I've had that avignong island or whatever it's called before. Taht is so frustrating banghead.gif

What is your in-game name Nepumuk?