Sign in to follow this  
Jackal326

SJB Weapons Pack Released

Laser's M16/M4s have a nice color and brightness level that works very well with the game lighting. They look more like weapons in the field. I think there is some brown added to the black and gunmetal colors.

No offense to wip, but the textures look like they have been scanned from a photo and pasted onto the model. They don't look like "any grunt's gun."

The darkness of an Ar15 differs colt rifles from mid 90ties(If i remmember correct) where very grey not so much black. also wip's guns looks like they are well worn as oppose to these which apear more new the textures are remakes of the CS textures.

STGN

Laser's M16/M4s have a nice color and brightness level that works very well with the game lighting. They look more like weapons in the field. I think there is some brown added to the black and gunmetal colors.

No offense to wip, but the textures look like they have been scanned from a photo and pasted onto the model. They don't look like "any grunt's gun."

The darkness of an Ar15 differs colt rifles from mid 90ties(If i remmember correct) where very grey not so much black. also wip's guns looks like they are well worn as oppose to these which apear more new the textures are remakes of the CS textures.

STGN

This is what I'm talking about when I refer to a rifle in the field:

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos....acl.jpg

Then comes the problem that if you make the textures like that, the other half of the community bitches because they haven't got their "out of the supply truck/clean" version - and vice-versa. Make both sorts ("new" and "used" types), then everyone bitches about the file-size so we (as addon-makers) can't win.

As far as editing the M4/M16 textures goes, for this project, I will simply lighten the textures to be more in-line with those used for the basis of the HK416 textures as previously mentioned. I will not be using textures from other previously released addons (LSR/INQ etc.) nor will I be altering the models for ones used in either of the aformentioned authors' packs. I'm sticking with what I have, and modifying as necessary.

Then comes the problem that if you make the textures like that, the other half of the community bitches because they haven't got their "out of the supply truck/clean" version - and vice-versa. Make both sorts ("new" and "used" types), then everyone bitches about the file-size so we (as addon-makers) can't win.

Sure, but this a battlefield simulator, not a firing range simulator. wink_o.gif

As far as editing the M4/M16 textures goes, for this project, I will simply lighten the textures to be more in-line with those used for the basis of the HK416 textures as previously mentioned. I will not be using textures from other previously released addons (LSR/INQ etc.) nor will I be altering the models for ones used in either of the aformentioned authors' packs. I'm sticking with what I have, and modifying as necessary.

I think the M4 textures are pretty good Jackal, but like you said you cant please everyone so if you think it will please more people to lighten them, then go ahead i guess, but not too much please.

On the other hand, I think the textures for the m16's are way too dark, for all variants.  I think the term is the "saturation" is too high, but i dont know much about graphic arts.  I think it would be better if they just shared the same textures as the M4's.

Also the m16a2 seems a little misproportioned.  I think the front handguard is a little too thick, especially at the front.

Other than that, this is the weapon pack to end all weapon packs.  Are you planning on adding any more varients of the weapons already included, or are you just adding new weapons now?

Sorry bout my previous post, I meant:

did anyone find a suppressed ACOG M4/M203 in woodland camo in the pack? I don't think there's one in there, so I just have to use the standard suppressed one without sights.

If there is, well, I'm just stupid.

@Mr ThunderMakeR: I am planning a few new versions of currently existing weapons within the pack, such as suppressed versions of the M4A1-CQB, and the M4/M203/optic/camo variants outlined below.

@CameronMcDonald: No there currently isn't a suppressed M4A1/M230 with ACOG in Woodland Camo. However, I do plan to add the camo'ed versions with M203 and the various optic (Aimpoint, ACOG, Reflex etc.) in the next version.

Jackal,

You said you weren't going to use textures from LSR or others. Fair enough. But did you give any thought to using the leaf sight? Or does that statement also mean you won't be changing that? It's your addon, and I know you've had a lot on your plate w/ the additions, but thought I'd ask again. I really think it would add a lot to some already fantastic weapons.

Its probably been pointed out earlier, but the M16A2 and M16A4 in your addon have the same model of carry handle. IRL the M16A4 has the same handle as the M4A1, but the M16A2 has a bigger one.

IRL the M16A4 has the same handle as the M4A1, but the M16A2 has a bigger one.

More accuratly. The A1 and A2 sight has a larger grip hole than the A2 detachable carry handle, used on flattop rifles like M4A1 and M16A4, the hight of the sight is almost the same(too offtopic to explain).

STGN

...But did you give any thought to using the leaf sight?...

I assume you mean the M203 leaf-sight affixed to the upper rail of the fore-grip. If so, then I already have one. If you mean a flip-up iron sight (back-up iron sight), I already have 3 different versions of those wink_o.gif

@ch_123/STGN: I'll look into editing the M4/M16A2/A4 carrying handle accordingly sometime over the weekend.

Ehh this dude has also got the mag pouch. Many soldiers carrying the M16A4 have got it on. It would be something useless in OFP. But it hasnt been done and it makes the weapon look better....

keep it up! thumbs-up.gif

I assume you mean the M203 leaf-sight affixed to the upper rail of the fore-grip. If so, then I already have one. If you mean a flip-up iron sight (back-up iron sight), I already have 3 different versions of those wink_o.gif

@ch_123/STGN: I'll look into editing the M4/M16A2/A4 carrying handle accordingly sometime over the weekend.

I'm sorry, should have been more clear. Earlier I had made a comment about using the M203 leaf sight (in the iron sight mode "v") that's on Laser's and I believe E&S weapons. It's calibrated so that if a target is up to 200m, you can put a grenade round right where you want it.

With your leaf sight on your latest public release, it tends to block the view more, and you can't really place rounds using the sight. You had mentioned earlier you would look into this if you had time, so I was just following up. Again, if it's not going to happen, I'll live. I'm not bitching, just curious.

I'm sorry, should have been more clear. Earlier I had made a comment about using the M203 leaf sight (in the iron sight mode "v") that's on Laser's and I believe E&S weapons. It's calibrated so that if a target is up to 200m, you can put a grenade round right where you want it.

With your leaf sight on your latest public release, it tends to block the view more, and you can't really place rounds using the sight. You had mentioned earlier you would look into this if you had time, so I was just following up. Again, if it's not going to happen, I'll live. I'm not bitching, just curious.

Doesnt the SFP mod have a properly calibrated M203 sight?

Ahhh the M203 optic, yeah, I'll be sure to get in touch with Laser ASAP to acquire permission.

In other news, the HK416 is almost done, in all the "usual" optic variations (ACOG, Aimpoint, Elcan, EOTech, Reflex. Default Iron-sights, and the sniper-scope (with and without bipod)). Might also consider making the HK417, the 416's heftier brother firing 7.62 rounds as opposed to the 5.56 of the 416.

Might also consider making the HK417, the 416's heftier brother firing 7.62 rounds as opposed to the 5.56 of the 416.

Freaky: I found out about the 417 just 2 mins ago and went onto the forum to ask you if your were considering on making it.... wow_o.gif

I'm sorry, should have been more clear.  Earlier I had made a comment about using the M203 leaf sight (in the iron sight mode "v") that's on Laser's and I believe E&S weapons.  It's calibrated so that if a target is up to 200m, you can put a grenade round right where you want it.

With your leaf sight on your latest public release, it tends to block the view more, and you can't really place rounds using the sight.  You had mentioned earlier you would look into this if you had time, so I was just following up.  Again, if it's not going to happen, I'll live.  I'm not bitching, just curious.

Doesnt the SFP mod have a properly calibrated M203 sight?

Yes they do and it is very nice, but I don't know if the values for the 203 grenades may have been adjusted as well. It is, at least, correctly calibrated for their M-203s.

Which is the beauty of Laser's sight. If you choose to use JAM, which I do, it's good to go.

@Jackal:

Thanks, that's great news.

I will (hopefully) be posting some images of the suppressed HK416s tomorrow, as well as a few shots of the regular variants, with the differing optical attachments etc.

Those are really great. Looking forward to them.

yeah you can say that again!

Holy shit dude that sniper weapon looks really REALLY elite!

I didnt know about this weapon at all. When I saw the HK416 I thought it was something like the other HK guns. Not like the m4....