Sign in to follow this  
gandalf the white

Poseidon II , the ultimate engine?

Does anyone know if standing on moving vehicle will be possible?

I think so, in VBS it's possible. I think there was a movie about this somewhere.

I think so, in VBS it's possible. I think there was a movie about this somewhere.

Really, first time i hear about this, got a link? I remember an old pic wit a guy in the cargo bay of some chopper but ive never heard about this feature being available before rock.gif .

I am sure the only way BIS will be able to do massive battlefields without affecting FPS is to actually only render and calculate what is happening in the immediate vicinity of the player and his squad. The rest of the battlefield can be done with 1s and 0s only, the results of which will only be rendered and calculated when you reach specific area. This way physics engine and GPU wouldn't do much damage to the overall game perfomance.

Really, first time i hear about this, got a link? I remember an old pic wit a guy in the cargo bay of some chopper but ive never heard about this feature being available before rock.gif .

I do believe I have seen it somewhere on the forum or on the main VBS site. I'll check it out wink_o.gif

so is this the engine they will use.. or a suggested one.. but judging by the sound of things it seems really suited to the job. doesnt ofp1 use its own engine?

Poseidon IS the engine Operation: Flashpoint uses...

and afaik only Flashpoint uses this engine, it's not available to any other devs... how totally awesome biggrin_o.gif

I dont think that BIS will get a license to use a common physics engine, I am sure that they will make their own. Didn't Placebo say that they had a rewritten physics engine in a interview some time ago?

I dont think we should worry about Poseidon II using ragdoll effects or not. I am sure that the face and even each finger will react when being shot.

I dont think that BIS will get a license to use a common physics engine, I am sure that they will make their own. Didn't Placebo say that they had a rewritten physics engine in a interview some time ago?

I dont think we should worry about Poseidon II using ragdoll effects or not. I am sure that the face and even each finger will react when being shot.

If they do develop their own physics engine it will be even better.

i´d prefer to se them use an physics engine compatible with the ppu, sure it expensive now...but we will play this for another 0.5 of a decade.

Just because they make their own wont make it better.

What about implementation? Because i wouldnt like to see the game delayed anymore because of this, i mean if you are doing a small game implementing this solution it shouldnt be so hard but on a huge flashpoint type game (severall times bigger actually) it may turn out complicated, flashpoint 2 could actually kill the ppu tounge_o.gif .

My biggest problem with ragdoll is that the body becomes weightless when death or incapacitation is modeled. They don't seem to be good at implementing momentum. They also don't have a comprehensive ballistics model. Just because someone is shot from behind doesn't mean they always fall forward and vice versa. Even in death the body is not weightless. So unless they find a way to add substantial weight to the body. I think death animations are fine. Perhaps a animation + ragdoll combo would be best.

In every game I've played with ragdoll I can tell instantly what angle and trajectory the shot came from. This is often not possible in real life due to how ballistics effect the body. But with ragdoll if you fall forward the shot always comes from behind you.

It's better than a falling backwards animation though tounge_o.gif

Like you said, a balance is needed. smile_o.gif

Yeah, I haven't played America's Army in a while but when I did play they updated the ragdoll. The guy became way too middle heavy. So he just dropped like a ton of bricks. This lead to a lot of deaths where your bum was sticking in the air.

If they could just add weight to the body. In a lot of games you hit somebody in the side of the chest and they fall sideways like they were hit with a 50 cal M2 or something. An M16 usually won't make you fly off the ground sideways. Also the skeletal system seems non existent. How many times have you see ragdolls bend over completely backwards. I think America's Army even with the heavy mid section was a step in the right direction. However, they need to add that weight to the whole body

No i dont think soo...

Force is the same for the shooter and wictim, if shooter recives 10j backblast wictim will recive 10j inblast, and nothing more.If death is instant body should fall down in the reall gravity force+10j inblast

When looking at the North Hollywood robbery you see the 1st gunman fall like a ragdoll when he got shot.

As stated before, hit anim with ragdoll would VERY natural (grip chest - ragdoll / fall to knees - ragdoll)

plus, explosion death and anims looks like shijte imo.

I heard somewhere that phys.engines are pretty "easy" to lift in to games, also seem to remember something about the ppu being able to work with other engines but with lesser efficency....but it could be in my imagination biggrin_o.gif

@ragdoll

as i said earlier, ragdoll can be adjusted. Some games like half life 2 have totally way over the top ragdoll for a purpose of being crazy and fun. Some games like to focus on a more realistic ragdoll...on the ragdoll body limb weight and joint range motion can be adjusted among other things smile_o.gif.

Expanding the discussion on CQB, I think the 2 key elements ofp needs to be a decent cqb is ai and indoor structure. with limits in geometry and collision detection ofp does not have any massive interior buildings; i think the most rooms ive seen in a building in ofp is like 10. If AI can also be coded to lean over corners, retreat back behind walls for cover, and move tactically through buildings then we would be all set.

They have updated the ragdoll in americas army alot. It is the best looking ragdoll ive seen. You dont die ass up anymore tounge_o.gif . The newest patch. 2.4, has made it look very good.

Quote[/b] ]Bullets as well react differently based on a variety of factors such as the angle of impact and the target structure along, significantly highlighted with trace fire shooting off in the horizon; it’s something that BiS like to call kinetic energy, the dispersal of energy from the bullet to the point of contact and whether it penetrates or deflects.

Now theres something that hasnt been revealed yet, penetrating/deflecting bullets!

Quote[/b] ]Bullets as well react differently based on a variety of factors such as the angle of impact and the target structure along, significantly highlighted with trace fire shooting off in the horizon; it’s something that BiS like to call kinetic energy, the dispersal of energy from the bullet to the point of contact and whether it penetrates or deflects.

Now theres something that hasnt been revealed yet, penetrating/deflecting bullets!

Haha, no more hiding from a M82A1.

You might as well surrender wink_o.gif

When looking at the North Hollywood robbery you see the 1st gunman fall like a ragdoll when he got shot.

That what I was going to say. If you actually watch documentaries of shootings, people getting hit by a car you will see that ragdolls are EXTREMELY natural when it comes to death. Just imagine that every muscle in your body relaxes and nothing is holding it together anymore.

That what I was going to say. If you actually watch documentaries of shootings, people getting hit by a car you will see that ragdolls are EXTREMELY natural when it comes to death. Just imagine that every muscle in your body relaxes and nothing is holding it together anymore.

I think the reason people won't have ragdoll is because we have seen to many action movies wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

You have to kill a evil boss twice until he "drops" dead.