Sign in to follow this  
gandalf the white

Poseidon II , the ultimate engine?

Yes but if the ofp2 editor is anything like ofp then you could send them all together.

I bet the "AI" controlling the OFP2 NPC's won't let groups that are too large get together. maybe 3 vs 3 squads max?  can't say a thing though... maybe OFP will suprise us... maybe it will even leave Serious Sam II (200> units) behind him!  biggrin_o.gif

Yeah but what if one of the sides is slowly being pushed into a bottleneck?Say that you are campaigning on everon ,east has took in all the middle towns and pushed west North above Montinac.Would all the west and east missions then go to Montinac?or even if all missions wouldn't go to Montinac ,would east and west be forced t put all their troops trough that bottleneck to reach any objective?

if i may ask, why the name Poseidon II?

i know what it means but why? who came up with that name here?

*points accusing finger at Maruk and Suma*

Btw, what does Poseidon mean? a google image search gave the the picture of some male mermaid huh.gif

Poseidon is the greek god of the sea.

:/ I always thought that the engine was called Real virtuality or something. huh.gif

*points accusing finger at Maruk and Suma*

Btw, what does Poseidon mean? a google image search gave the the picture of some male mermaid huh.gif

Maruk.. MAruk, Suma..Suma.. hum.. confused_o.gif

Poseidon -> Greek Mythology: The god of the waters, earthquakes, and horses, and brother of Zeus.

EDIT: can someone answer my previous question? wink_o.gif i repeat: Why that name? icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe because all the map are Islands with a lot of sea surrounding it? huh.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Becouse they liked it? Becouse the of the island system? Becouse of the words divine meaning?

One of those should be the answer.

Posiedon was A god of creation. Had an iffatuation with the goddess of love Aphrodite so he made a horse as a gift. But she didnt take it so he put it on earth. Posiedon was also ruler of the seas But the seas were vast and full of life. Posiedon was also the one nickname given 'Earthshaker' so that means he created earthquakes. Sounds a lot like OFP dont you think? Creation > Addons missions scripts and such. Seas > Vast and full of life with the best playability. Earthquakes > Immense battles and explosions. Horses > Best looking graphics POSSIBLE.

Quote[/b] ]Bikecop Posted on June 23 2005,19:31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posiedon was A god of creation. Had an iffatuation with the goddess of love Aphrodite so he made a horse as a gift. But she didnt take it so he put it on earth. Posiedon was also ruler of the seas But the seas were vast and full of life. Posiedon was also the one nickname given 'Earthshaker' so that means he created earthquakes. Sounds a lot like OFP dont you think? Creation > Addons missions scripts and such. Seas > Vast and full of life with the best playability. Earthquakes > Immense battles and explosions. Horses > Best looking graphics POSSIBLE.

LOL shoulda called the latest iteration 'Phoenix' cause just when you think it's dead, it gets modded and lives again for a bit.  Nothing like rising from the ashes to show the greatness of an engine.   notworthy.gif

Btw, what does Poseidon mean?  a google image search gave the the picture of some male mermaid  huh.gif

Poseidon -> Greek Mythology: The god of the waters, earthquakes, and horses, and brother of Zeus.

EDIT: can someone answer my previous question?  wink_o.gif i repeat: Why that name? icon_rolleyes.gif

Posiden answer

Quote[/b] ]TS: Now onto Flash Point, How long has it been in development?

MS: Flash Point development begun in January 1997. That time, Ondrej, the lead engineer, wrote first lines of the engine code we’re using for the game. We were doing a lot of researches of technologies and gameplay ideas. In 98, we signed a contract with Interactive Magic to develop a post-apocalyptic 3D action strategy game under code named Poseidon. The game adopted a title Flashpoint and was extended to include huge variety of vehicles. The game was scheduled to be released in Summer 1999. But the game was never finished in the original form because Interactive Magic has gone from the CD-ROM business. It took much time to resolve all related business and legal issues. In July 99 we formed completely a new company and extended the development team dramatically. We aimed higher than even before and refocused the game to more action field to compete more directly with Delta Force or Rogue Spear type of gameplay while keeping much more realism and opportunities. We are confident we’re on the right track and with all the multiplayer capabilities and the built-in mission editor we believe Flashpoint will have a long life.

From the interview

Hope that answers some of the Q. Found it on Google looking up Marek Spanel

The dream team

just off-topic for a bit. This looks like a singles internet dating site. Find the celeb on it. Ok, I'm done goggling the web. Brought up old relics of Mareks and I'll let him live in peace..........

Maybe whistle.gif

I have been looking all over for that engine, I see now that I haven't looked hard enough biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]TS: What kinds of game modes will the multiplayer feature?

MS: Apart from pre-designed missions there will be a simple death match and capture the flag style of gameplay. But the multiplayer part of the game is still under work (originally, there was only 2 players allowed, now the limit is given by the connection and computer speed).

lol, things has really changed now I tell you biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]TS: And finally If Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera where pit against each other in mortal combatâ„¢. Who would win? =)

MS: Hard to judge for me. After two years working on Flash Point, I lost contact with the real world, I am not watching TV and I am not listening radio. They are some beautiful singers, aren’t they?

I really can't say that I agree tounge2.gifwhistle.gif

Poseidon demo (1997)

What type of game is this? wow_o.gif

hehe you can still download that demo on a secret page. smile_o.gif Some models even work in O2.

Just played it a minute ago, sadly the WRP file wouldn't open in WRPEdit, the models load though (Into O2.. With textures tounge2.gif)

OFPDawn.jpg

biggrin_o.gif

Take that GameË› tounge2.gif

Anyway whistle.gif

- Ben

EDIT: can someone answer my previous question? wink_o.gif i repeat: Why that name? icon_rolleyes.gif

Posiden answer

Quote[/b] ]

TS: Now onto Flash Point, How long has it been in development?

MS: Flash Point development begun in January 1997. That time, Ondrej, the lead engineer, wrote first lines of the engine code we’re using for the game. We were doing a lot of researches of technologies and gameplay ideas. In 98, we signed a contract with Interactive Magic to develop a post-apocalyptic 3D action strategy game under code named Poseidon. The game adopted a title Flashpoint and was extended to include huge variety of vehicles. The game was scheduled to be released in Summer 1999. But the game was never finished in the original form because Interactive Magic has gone from the CD-ROM business. It took much time to resolve all related business and legal issues. In July 99 we formed completely a new company and extended the development team dramatically. We aimed higher than even before and refocused the game to more action field to compete more directly with Delta Force or Rogue Spear type of gameplay while keeping much more realism and opportunities. We are confident we’re on the right track and with all the multiplayer capabilities and the built-in mission editor we believe Flashpoint will have a long life.

From the interview

Hope that answers some of the Q. Found it on Google looking up Marek Spanel

The dream team

just off-topic for a bit. This looks like a singles internet dating site. Find the celeb on it. Ok, I'm done goggling the web. Brought up old relics of Mareks and I'll let him live in peace..........

Maybe whistle.gif

It looks more like a (charity?) themed youth summer camp program. Marek only shows up once, but Tomas is all over the place. There's a few pictures in there worthy of community captions.

If you google both the anglicized names, as well as the Czech with the diacretical marks, you can find all sorts of interesting things. Such as a list of titles of masters theses in CompSci where a lot on names look familiar, lists of summer university seminars, Suma's (?) triathlon times over the past five years, and more.

Back on topic... smile_o.gif

Has anyone else noticed that in the Dawn of Flashpoint demo there are what appear to be railroad tracks, with ballast beds as part of the model and are less conformant to the terrain than the roads? Makes you wonder what other ideas they have cooking that aren't just a Fairy Tale... demo available here, and it works nicely under XP.

Quote[/b] ]The game is pleasant and light, it offers you advice, it strokes your soul and warms your heart.

are you sure these are thesame guys that made a war simulator ?! crazy_o.gif

Screenshots here...

Something amusing would be to tag them with twisted community captions...

big8.jpg

* Placebo informs Suma that bandwidth-sucking forumtrolls won't be getting past his crack team of DnA, Shadow, and Harnu, so not to worry about future bandwidth overage surcharges.

* The codemasters rep isn't too sure about visiting BIS anymore with the security they've hired.

* Some poor BF2 n00b stumbled onto a bunch of trolls camping ArmA, and was never heard from again...

* The reason why Earl brings his work to Prague, and BIS doesn't come to visit him in the "Pacific" Northwest sad_o.gif ...

* Marek's not to enthusiatic about the latest batch of ex-EA programmers on the slave market today...

big3.jpg

*when you see the flash, it's already too late! biggrin_o.gif

Edit: tried the demo, but I missed the freedom OFP has, why couln't I pick up the scythe and kill that stupid hag? sad_o.gif .

I searched for that Poseidon BETA Demo, but didn't find anything. So.. where's that "secret page"?

bistudio.com > inside bi > history > prehistory > scroll down  smile_o.gif .

lol omg, I have never noticed that link. help.gif  goodnight.gif

EDIT:

Hmm, didn't know that the original engine was design with railroad.

hmm, didn't know that the original engine was design with railroad.

railroad-objects *

just like the river-textures wink_o.gif . open the railroad in O2, it's nothing more then a prisma whistle.gif .

EDIT: and when is Suma going to see this? what's the reason of this topic other then fanboy-ism and asskissing? crazy_o.gif