Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

Head model/Face textures

I have some faces from half life 2 if you want them smile_o.gif

I have some faces from half life 2 if you want them smile_o.gif

That would be great... smile_o.gif

This project is looking better and better!

I've had a bit of an issue with heads recently - I reckon even though it's not directly about this head model in particular, it IS about new head models, so I'll go ahead and make the post and hope for some relevant feedback...

I'm not much of a modeller, but I can just about manage a texture or two, so it's my small clan duty to do everybodys faces for our online coop and one-on-one games... The guys like to be able to recognise each other at a glance, so a recognisable face is important...

We've been using lasers rangers as our "team" for some time now, and it's been pretty good - when Laser released his new rangers and seals I thought "Great! even better models", but when I actually set up the new units it turned into "Invasion Of The Evil Twins"! Apparently, Laser is using a "new head model"...

Here's a shot...

EvilTwinSmall.jpg

The guy on the right is a HYK ranger using one of my clan buddies... let's look close... I know the guy so I can say that the distance between the bottom of the nose and the upper lip is a bit big, (plus, he's a fat ba****d and so the head is not nearly round enuff smile_o.gif ), but apart from that, crude though it may be, the stock BIS head on the right gives a reasonable result (from front-on! side-on is a different story with the BIS model).

Let's look at the guy on the right... who the hell IS that??? It can't be the same guy??? Yes it is! That's the same face model on the new laser ranger, which, so I've been told, is now using the "Nashe Orujie" model... (RHS units use it too, apparently)...

Now - with a texture that suits! - it's a far superior model - no question, but look at the length of the nose, the narrow sharpness of the over long chin, the overly long and triangular profile... well modelled it may be, a better profile it may have, but "standard" or "average" it's not!

Here's a better known example, since this works better with familiar faces...

same_guy03.jpg

I reckon everybody has seen the Bruce Willis OFP head that's been around a while? There it is on the right... and there's his Evil Twin on the left...

This is Bad News all round for anyone wanting to use the otherwise AWESOME LSR units... I just can't use them! Dammit!

More specifically, this is a problem that should be borne in mind by this project... as the head gets more and more detailed, there's a very real danger it's going to get more and more SPECIFIC!

Now there's a million cranial and facial types out there - no question - and no one model will exactly suit all, but unless you plan on releasing a variety of assorted head types - (round, normal thin, matrixed with short, normal and long, for a minimum of 9 heads) then one of your major priorities has gotta be aiming towards an "average joe" head, an "ideal" head that's gonna at least give a usable result on most, if not all textures...

A final example...

same_guy02.jpg

This one is Russel Crowe (both these faces came built-in to the LSR rangers pack, by the way)... Now OK - we all know what Gladiator looked like, and neither of these are exactly 100%, but the same exaggerated length nose and chin on the new left-hand head still sticks out a mile... literally!

Since I'm not a modder there's no easy way to change these heads, so the only reason I'm posting is to try and make this point BEFORE your new head appears on a unit I'd like to use smile_o.gif

It would be interesting to see a few familiar faces such as the ones above on your new head Llauma! Offtime - any chance of that?

OK - my 10 cents over - back to the guys who actually seem to know what they're doing...

Bushlurker

PS - If anybody knows of a (reasonably) easy way to replace the head model on a unit without getting involved with full-scale O2 modelling or whatever I'd really like to hear it!

wow_o.gifDUDE ! ITS JUST A GAME ! wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge_o.gifghostface.gif

from known ppl i plan adding only all Vietcong game main haracters tounge_o.gif

serious answer: tho i know your right (and very perceptive tounge_o.gif ), its not a real problem in my opinion smile_o.gif

hehehe

@offtime - yeah, I know it's just a game... but it's MY game! biggrin_o.gif

Vietcong heads, huh? You'll want an oval face then, with a nose that doesn't look like a re-entry heatshield then.... hehehe

I'm an archaeologist, and some of our guys somewhere in one of the basements do facial reconstruction and stuff with clay on skulls we dig up - I'm pretty sure they'll have literature on all this stuff... I'll ask, and if it looks helpful I'll scan & send u guys it...

C ya

Bushlurker

Testing the units I work with your new head model and it looks much better with those new head model wink_o.gif

test1qd.jpg

heres 7 hl2 faces

hl2 faces

smile_o.gif

there in .jpg so you can just change them

Thanx but they are not as good as I had hoped. I guess HL2 uses lots of bump mapping and other fx's. The RTCW textures are better for OFP.

evolution1jy.jpg

I did a small comparision between the current head and an earlier version of the same head. It didn't feel as it evolved anything but appearantly it did. I guess is close to finished now so I can finally map it.

hmmmm.... polycount ?

this new model looks much better... if theres no big difference in polycount then if you dont mind i would like to use this new one biggrin_o.gif

hmmmm.... polycount ?

this new model looks much better... if theres no big difference in polycount then if you dont mind i would like to use this new one biggrin_o.gif

It got more.. 730 I think but that includes the mouth filling

Goddamn those look good!

The one thing that's always bugged me about OFP is the faces, and finally that's being addressed.

Oh and can someone explain the AA thing? Not to hijack the thread, but is AA OFP 2? 'cause i saw an X-box video of it, and it just looked like OFP with a graphical incread...the enemy AI still ran right by the player with the gun and ran away to be shot in the back

Goddamn those look good!

The one thing that's always bugged me about OFP is the faces, and finally that's being addressed.

Oh and can someone explain the AA thing? Not to hijack the thread, but is AA OFP 2? 'cause i saw an X-box video of it, and it just looked like OFP with a graphical incread...the enemy AI still ran right by the player with the gun and ran away to be shot in the back

To make it short..

AA is sort of OFP 1.5 and it will be released this year. It's not the same as the xbox game. The 'true OFP2' will be released next year.

So no more questions about the wrong subject or I'll send the spanel bro's after you. tounge_o.gif

Just a question:

How do you do rest of the lod's? smile_o.gif Any automated method or you do them by hand as well?

T.

afaik maya or 3ds max have a reduce function

but if u use oxygen u need to redo them

though making lods is easy..

it took nearly 2 months on my head model to get the 0.00 lod

in perfect shape..

the 2nd lod took 10 mins with texturing..

Just a question:

How do you do rest of the lod's? smile_o.gif Any automated method or you do them by hand as well?

T.

You do it manually by merging nearby points and do some smaller moves. It doesn't take much time at all. I try to half the amount of faces for each lod. That gives you a fairly good transition between the lods.

Since I am noob at it ...

do you map texture to each face by script or to the whole surface? smile_o.gif

(for each lod smile_o.gif )

T.

Since I am noob at it ...

do you map texture to each face by script or to the whole surface? smile_o.gif

(for each lod smile_o.gif )

T.

I'm not sure I understood you but I guess the whole surface is the right answer. It's sort of wrapped around the model.

when it comes to gizmo mapping its good to make all lods first and then map them.

you set all mapping preferences on first lod and then just map the same way all others, easy way.

Is there a downloadable addon that uses this head?

Is there a downloadable addon that uses this head?

No.. otherwise the thread would be in Addons & Mods: Complete

Well, i was thinking if someone else used your head int his own release.