Sign in to follow this  
ag_smith

CAT's Afghanistan Revisited

Just had some nice tank battles (Leo1A5 vs. T72/T80) on this island.

Lagfree @ 3500viewdistance, GREAT!

Thx for that!

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Please, please, *please* find a replacement for the streetlights more suitable to rural Afghanistani towns. The conventional First World urban streetlights seem incongruous in the towns.

Please, please, *please* find a replacement for the streetlights more suitable to rural Afghanistani towns. The conventional First World urban streetlights seem incongruous in the towns.

Yeah, something more like Tonal maybe rock.gif .

I was wondering if it would be possible to change the color of the fog to 'sandstorm orange'.

Hey ag_smith i got one more suggestion for you , PLEASE PLEASE do this for us and i'll be very very grateful.

GET those MAPFACT NOGOVA style lights on the island , i hate those ugly BIS ones which show up even behind hills and solid objects including vehicles... crazy_o.gif

Oh and i very much appreciate the effort being taken to uproot those ugly trees and replacing them with nicer ones biggrin_o.gif .

Hey ag_smith i got one more suggestion for you , PLEASE PLEASE do this for us and i'll be very very grateful.

GET those MAPFACT NOGOVA style lights on the island , i hate those ugly BIS ones which show up even behind hills and solid objects including vehicles...  crazy_o.gif

Oh and i very much appreciate the effort being taken to uproot those ugly trees and replacing them with nicer ones  biggrin_o.gif .

2x

I think you should delete streetlamps, that's all.

But please, don't use any addons. If addons will be required for this island, I think lot of people will use another one.

Also, i would prefer to have it has BIS free has possible, just like the original one, i dont really like seeing the hangars, barracks and other BIS stuff in this island, it kinda breaks the feel of it, and the big towns could be smaller but with more small details so it looks more real and detailed. The airbase could use some craters and ruins and signs of destruction too, instead of the Nogova look it would fit better and be more original.

Would you consider removing the BIS buildings and Hangars rock.gif .

Also theres this rock cave that is placed over Mazar-e-Sharif and in another spot that is awsome but the a.i. can see and shoot thru it, it would be great if it could be fixed or improved and placed more.

Im sry if i sound like a demanding biotch but this is problably the last chance of seeing my fav island reaching final status and i would be insane not to post my thoughts here no matter what the final result may be, thanks smile_o.gif .

i would say that this island needs ONLY custom objects....

exept for the BIS ground textures wich i think works ok smile_o.gif

but what do i know, maybe its too much work?

I have found a new, nice looking building that i dont seem to remember from beta V3, its called Afghan building 9 and i found it near the minaret in quandahar (Khandahar rock.gif ), its very cool and features 2 working floors but it is almost impossible to enter thru the doors (its also listed under Nomad mod objects).

Also Afghan building 8 (3flr) is sunk into the ground, its quite visible and i remember the interior room with the furniture, papers, paintings and a picture of CAT_SHIT's cat.

Hope this helps

smile_o.gif .

GET those MAPFACT NOGOVA style lights on the island , i hate those ugly BIS ones which show up even behind hills and solid objects including vehicles...  crazy_o.gif

I just checked on this one and honestly, I have to say I can't tell the difference between Mapfact lights and CAT's streetlamps (only brightness and color is slighlty different). Here's a comparision:

MAP Noe:

lampnoe8xd.th.jpg

CAT's Afghanistan:

lampcat8sm.th.jpg

I checked if they show up from behind houses and hills and I don't see this effect.  rock.gif

@Heatseeker, bugs confirmed and will be fixed, at least in case of these houses. The caves... well... that's whole different kind of story. I'll see what I can do but I don't promise anything, as some of these objects exceed dimension limit, which may render GeoLODs useless. sad_o.gif

In regard to BIS barracks and hangars, I don't really see replacement for this objects, and moreover, I think these barracks blend in very well with desert environment. I don't have enough time to make whole new objects. I'm not going to use any another addons on this island and I won't remove them from the map. Sorry.

@van Nistelrooy, I may possibly replace the current streetlamp model with something like that (NOT exactly this model, just something looking like that):

lamprepl1vx.th.jpg

I'm not going to remove the streetlamps completely.

@Heatseeker, bugs confirmed and will be fixed, at least in case of these houses. The caves... well... that's whole different kind of story. I'll see what I can do but I don't promise anything, as some of these objects exceed dimension limit, which may render GeoLODs useless. sad_o.gif

In regard to BIS barracks and hangars, I don't really see replacement for this objects, and moreover, I think these barracks blend in very well with desert environment. I don't have enough time to make whole new objects. I'm not going to use any another addons on this island and I won't remove them from the map. Sorry.

The Hangars look a bit too modern for it imo but its your call, the barracks i think could use retexturing has their age is starting to show but that would problably be too much work. Theres this object there called Rocks fortress that looks very good, i think it would be great if it could be placed more on some of the small villages, would make for good, small defence positions.

Also i get alot of bad positioned rocks on some hills that flicker like crazy, thats pretty much all i could find.

Best of luck smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]@van Nistelrooy, I may possibly replace the current streetlamp model with something like that (NOT exactly this model, just something looking like that)

OK that's better, thank you smile_o.gif

ok i skimed thru this as quickly as possible and didnt notice any mention of this so i guess ill bring it up....

can you umm.. explain to me why umm... theres snow on top of these moutians? mountians that i recall are located in the middle of the desert where "cold" is something one could only wish for upon a falling star rock.gif

i love the island the way it is. i love the resistance textures, i love the fact that i dont have 80 megs taking up my addons folder, instead a more reasonable 38 megs. i would NEVER put anything in my addons folder that ammounted to 80 megs for a single addon, on top of that 80 megs for one friggin island? no that should be illeagle right there. that aside i love the file size i love the resistance textures, its just this snow thing really irks me snow + desert =  crazy_o.gif

Deserts aren't necessarily hot places - Afghanistan is very high in the Hindu-Kush, and those mountains are even higher. Most keep their snow year round. In the valleys it can get very hot, though. Look at any pics from this time of year in Afghanistan and you'll likely see snow.

FYI, most of Antarctica is also a desert and it's also very high above sea level. smile_o.gif

Look at any pics from this time of year in Afghanistan and you'll likely see snow.

I can confirm that. A friend's son just sent a bunch of pics back from Afghanistan, he's U. S. Army, and there was snow on the ground...

dont feel irked, pappy..hehe...there sure is snow in Afganistan, high up sharing the himalayan mountain chain of kashmir, india. Smith will be lynched if he doesnt add snow in afghanistan, he did his best without compromising cpu lag - kept it lower than the actual height, thank heavens! smile_o.gif

Pappy, if the place is called desert, it doesn't imply it's hot there. It only means it's ..... deserted, not necessarily hot.  tounge_o.gif J/k. wink_o.gif

Anyway, before I started to work on the map, I've made several background checks, including climate, population density and distribution (urban vs rural), geography, etc. This page has some infomation if anybody wants to check. A major part of the Afgahistan teritory is high above sea level, which means it gets very cold in the winter. From now on, let's just assume that the base height on our map is around 500m ASL, then both desert and snow caps are 100% correct in spring and autumn time. (And let's just forget there's sea all around the map, Afghanistan is land locked, but as you all know, that can't be achieved in OFP. Stay away from the edges, you won't even notice it.).

smile_o.gif

Dont worry ag_smith we'll just assume that a tsunami struck Iran and Pakistan and other afghanistan neighbours thats why theres water around the edges tounge_o.gif

Dont worry ag_smith we'll just assume that a tsunami struck Iran and Pakistan and other afghanistan neighbours thats why theres water around the edges  tounge_o.gif

slightly controversial rock.gif

tounge_o.gif

as for desert being anywhere deserted... neah, not quite:

A dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation.

A region of permanent cold that is largely or entirely devoid of life.

An apparently lifeless area of water.

basically descibes anywhere that extremes of nature/or man made in years to come have made the area devoid of life... antartica, therefore, is a desert wink_o.gif

The more i make some quick skirmishes on that island, the more i appreciate the lag free feeling on my system, and the extended cities that are offering some good urban combat situations without puzzling the AI.

Really a great improvement work ag_smith icon14.gif

Dont worry ag_smith we'll just assume that a tsunami struck Iran and Pakistan and other afghanistan neighbours thats why theres water around the edges  tounge_o.gif

slightly controversial  rock.gif

i thought it was funny biggrin_o.gif