Sign in to follow this  
Cpt. FrostBite

JOHN's Winter island! (ardennes pack)

Aside from the mentioned bugs I REALLY love this map! It is definitely one of the highest quality winter maps. One thing that kinda sucked though is that the objects are not available on the map editor. sad_o.gif

I wanted to place some of those log piles in some open areas in order to have some cover from lethal MG-42 fire, but instead I had to settle for the BIS wire object.

Another thing that kinda sucks is that the can see through the grass it seems. I like how John Christoph made his grass so that the AI couldn't see through it. This makes for better ambush missions and crazier battles in the grass when your AI support go assaulting the enemy hidden in the grass.

Also it allows you to stage anti-tank ambushes by ordering your men "prone" until enemy tanks drive by at which point you order them to stand up and they start engaging with anti armor weapons.

But aside from that its really an incredibly good map with tons of great detail. On my low end system it runs fairly well (except in the grass) with lots of units. So overall I'm quite happy with it.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

For some reason I have to lower my settings a lot if I want to play the map decently :x

is the 88 a bit weak?

88mm cannons *should* be able knock out most tanks with one shot unless the round is deflected

Okay, let me know if this happened to anyone else, but when I installed the patch all the trees disappeared. the entire ardennes forest is no more...

on the topic of the 88: anyone else notice that if you put them in maned that the AI just gets out and in and out and in and out and in for as long as u can stand to watch them do this escapade before you shoot the stupid mother f%$@ers

this happens if you have commander and gunner, or just gunner.

Nice map but it lags on my system that is not very low end.

AMD Athlon XP 3200

GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128mb

512mb DDR

And ofcourse there are some bugs but atleast this island is very good for combat photography. biggrin_o.gif

Just iron out the worst bugs and do something about the lag and this island is going to be one of my all time favourites. wink_o.gif

this is great island (better winter island i know) but fixed version is required. I wonder if all requested addons are in the installer?

p.s: by the way, i don't like installers much xmas_o.gif

The trees are now gone for me too, even though I have Winter Nogojev installed...

edit:

From the readme:

Quote[/b] ]ps.: u need Kegetys Winter Everon for correct running

Umm Kegetys never made a Winter Everon, I assume you mean Nogojev.

edit2: Bridge fixed, I was missing the pbo

well, it works with winter everon from I-DOwhateverthingy, somewhere on pages 8,9,10 or 11 on ofp.info i thought....  wink_o.gif

I dunno why people call this a great Island rock.gif

It`s a Island, for me one that I simply deleted after trying it for 15 minuts.

Why? It`s to buggy, it is not what I expected it to be and I dont like it because I cant have a massive battle on it.

Even if I could the bugs would still anoy me to much, ai will go crazy on it.

xmas_o.gif

well, its an alpha release, and apart from the obvious bugs i think its an excellent island thats in the making, the village is one of the best in ofp.

I really like the island, but the lag is a bitch, i set it to low graphics quality but even with 1 guy theres a little lag, and i've got a P3.2 with a ati 9800.

I think i'll play around with it more before i deicide anything, aside from the lag all the other bugs should be pretty fixable though, like the bridge.

I have to admit that I`ve put the Island back for some screenhots, not for the Isl. but simple for a bit of winterfeeling for the tank(s) smile_o.gif

xmas_o.gif

The eventHandler.scope error is caused by the Nebelwerfer...

There's one closing bracket in a wrong place wink_o.gif

It closes the Nebelwerfer class before the eventHandler definitions and mucks it up...

Tried the island for about 15 minutes. Obviously an alpha with all the bugs. Love the flipping iceberg. It has real potential to spawn into something unique. My issues.

1. Way too small for any longterm use

2. The road into Foy should go THROUGH Foy not stop there

Hard to give a real opinion with all the issues with it at this time. Lets see how John develops it.

Another tip would be to place this island on a 64x64 size instead of 256x256, saves usefull memory aswell. xmas_o.gif

As has been said already it is only an Alpha release and there is still much work to be done and many bugs to be fixed, I think that when it is done it will be one of the best winter maps out there.

sim

Anyone know how to contact John? I have fixed the floating trees in his updated map.

Thanks,

Tlok