Sign in to follow this  
Diesel

A-10 Thunderbolt II v0.5

If you're flying at 350-550 KPH, will an OFP PK soldier hit you at all? A lot? A little? I don't recall flying a plane in OFP that's targeted by MGs to know from experience.

Unlike choppers that are targeted, the planes are much faster and I would assume would take much fewer hits, even from an MG soldier with a maximimum SKILL setting.

I think this needs to be tested, no?

Besides that, as already mentioned, the A10's armor settings needs to be upped to simulate the plane's real life qualities.

Diesel, any news about an update?

Sorry, but no. Now i'll working on car for OM. (I going to school yet smile_o.gif Maybe, if i have time, i'll done my plane

I can relased only fixed (i hope so) grey version - ctd bug.

BTW. So, i must create new model with other weapons, or use HAWK's system weapon? What u think rock.gif

I'm all confused.

What can you fix and what cannot be fixed?

If you're planning on putting out an updated version soon, just to fix the gray model CTD, can you also fix the rudder stabilization setting, discussed earlier on in this thread?

And what about increasing the armor values? That should be easy, no?

I hope you find the time to perfect this plane. I'll bet it will become the standard A10 version in OFP mods, like EECP and Y2K3, if you do.

So there wont be a ejection seat? sad_o.gif .

For me it would be perfect if you:

-Add ejection seat.

-Fix CTD on grey version.

-Fix handling so it turns better.

-Add Hawks weapon loadout sistem (with realistic loadouts).

Maybe increase its engine power, i mean speed is right but its hard to gain speed or altitude and it feels weak rock.gif .

Armor feels rightly balanced to me and i see no sense about infantry atacking it cause we cant atack ground targets with the main gun at high speeds.

I really hope you will improve and fix this plane when you find time to do so, it sure is worth it smile_o.gif .

So there wont be a ejection seat? sad_o.gif .

For me it would be perfect if you:

-Add ejection seat.

-Fix CTD on grey version.

-Fix handling so it turns better.

-Add Hawks weapon loadout sistem (with realistic loadouts).

Maybe increase its engine power, i mean speed is right but its hard to gain speed or altitude and it feels weak rock.gif .

Armor feels rightly balanced to me and i see no sense about infantry atacking it cause we cant atack ground targets with the main gun at high speeds.

I really hope you will improve and fix this plane when you find time to do so, it sure is worth it smile_o.gif .

There's also a problem of the landing gear becoming invisible from a certain distance.

There's also a problem of the landing gear becoming invisible from a certain distance.

I didnt see that, could it be related to user graphics settings rock.gif .

And ofcourse i also forgot the cannopy, it opens too soon and closes too late, point was i dont mind waiting for a better version and i hope to see this nice looking A10 improved...someday smile_o.gif .

I didnt see that, could it be related to user graphics settings rock.gif .

Maybe but I'm not the only one that saw this and I have no such problems with any other addon - and there are lots of them!

Quote[/b] ]And ofcourse i also forgot the cannopy, it opens too soon and closes too late,

That, too!

point was i dont mind waiting for a better version and i hope to see this nice looking A10 improved...someday smile_o.gif .

But these should be super quick fixes:

1. the gray version CTDs.

2. handling adjustment.

3. maybe the canopy open/close adjustment.

The first 2 would at least stabilize the addon for playing.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, the air brakes open too wide, clipping the outer stores. The gun is too weak, dispersion is too high, and has no muzzle flash. And it would be more relistic to give it cluster bomb munitions, rather than simple iron bombs. There are better platforms, like fast movers, for bombing. But weapons like Gator, and WCMD/SFW are put to good use on the Thunderbolt.

point was i dont mind waiting for a better version and i hope to see this nice looking A10 improved...someday smile_o.gif .

But these should be super quick fixes:

1. the gray version CTDs.

2. handling adjustment.

3. maybe the canopy open/close adjustment.

The first 2 would at least stabilize the addon for playing.

OK, I attempt in this week relase fixed version wink_o.gif

BTW. Sorry, my english is't good and my previous post you can  misunderstand tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]In addition to what has already been mentioned, the air brakes open too wide

You know how change it?

Quote[/b] ]The gun is too weak, dispersion is too high,

I fixed it

Quote[/b] ]and has no muzzle flash.

I watched some video with A-10 and i didn't see flash. Only smoke and fire when plane fired over few second.

Quote[/b] ]And it would be more relistic to give it cluster bomb munitions, rather than simple iron bombs.

be patient wink_o.gif

I think the cannon "power" weakness is discussable, didnt feel weak when i sent a flanker to orbit with a couple hits tounge_o.gif .

Diesel.. if you cant finish it this weak its alright, dont rush it, if you decide to have a break or take your time its alright, just please dont shelve this project has that would be a true shame smile_o.gif .

Like I said before, ask for help or if you can borrow the WGL or Oyman GAU-8 Avenger weapon/ammo system.

Here's my official stance for creating a all-around favorite A-10 for the OFP community.

Use Diesel's skinning and model for both green and grey.  Up the aircraft's speed just a very small amount.

Use Oyman's GAU-8 Avenger cannon weapon/ammo.

Use Diesel's smoke script for the GAU-8. (Make the smoke a little more transparent though.)

Use Diesel's weapons loadout ONLY for OFP conflicts in the beginning of its premire in the early 1980's to early 1990's.

Use Oyman's weapons loadout from 1993 to present day.

As for the CM's, I think it needs to be compromise of both.  The CM's aren't effective enough on the Oyman A-10 because of it's low speed.   The Diesel A-10's CM's are way too effective and requires an excellent rear or front missile hit to shoot it down.

Have at least two loadout versions

Old loadout

General-CAS  (GAU-8, 4 x Mk82 low drag, 6x AGM-65B, 2 x FFAR, 2 x AIM-9L)

CBU-CAS  (GAU-8, 4 x Mk82 low drag, 6 x Mk20 Rockeyes or similiar CBU, 2 x AIM-9L)

New loadout

General-CAS (GAU-8, 4 x Mk82 low drag, 2 x AGM-65D, 2 x FFAR, 2 x AIM-9L, ALQ-131 ECM pod)

CBU-CAS (GAU-8, 4 x Mk82 low drag, 6 x Mk20 Rockeye or 4 x CBU-87, 2 x FFAR, 2 x AIM-9L, ALQ-131 ECM pod)

By organizing it this way, I believe a huge majority of the OFP community, especially aircraft enthusisasts would be very pleased if this was the end result.

I had no trouble blasting the A10 off the sky with the spetsnaz SU-27 rock.gif , i think the cm's proved more eficient against ground to air missiles, their good enough in my opinion smile_o.gif .

As for the CM's, I think it needs to be compromise of both.  The CM's aren't effective enough on the Oyman A-10 because of it's low speed.   The Diesel A-10's CM's are way too effective and requires an excellent rear or front missile hit to shoot it down.

What is CM ? rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]New loadout

General-CAS (GAU-8, 4 x Mk82 low drag, 2 x AGM-65D, 2 x FFAR, 2 x AIM-9L, ALQ-131 ECM pod)

CBU-CAS (GAU-8, 4 x Mk82 low drag, 6 x Mk20 Rockeye or 4 x CBU-87, 2 x FFAR, 2 x AIM-9L, ALQ-131 ECM pod)

Only 2 mavericks for OFP? tounge_o.gif

@Avon Lady

Good, i think wink_o.gif

As for the CM's, I think it needs to be compromise of both. The CM's aren't effective enough on the Oyman A-10 because of it's low speed. The Diesel A-10's CM's are way too effective and requires an excellent rear or front missile hit to shoot it down.

What is CM ? rock.gif

CM = CounterMeasures, in this case flares that are released after the airplane to lure/confuse heatseeking missiles smile_o.gif

Wonderful work Diesel, I hope you and oyman (I didn't capitalize your O this time tounge_o.gif) can work together!

OK, I attempt in this week relase fixed version wink_o.gif

I'll have one or two demo missions ready when the fixed A10 is released. wink_o.gif

The gun is too weak, dispersion is too high

I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun. At normal OFP strafing range (1000m) the dispersion is about the length of a tank, and that is good.

Aircraft's cannons shouldnt be sniper-accurate IMO. A little dispersion helps you with the aiming and is more effetive when strafing infantry formations (yes, you can do that too).

I do agree with the damage tho. BMPs and lighter armour should be taken out with a half-second burst. T72s and T55s should be easy prey to A-10s and should be taken out with one pass.

One thing I'd reEEeally like to see is the kind of HUD that's on the OpFr Jaguar. It has a HUGE horizon ball where the pitch ladders are perfectly aligned and follow the sky right on!

Another thing with the HUD: After many strafing runs with this aircraft I've noticed that because of bullet drop the rounds hit the target the best when you place the target between the center dot and the lower rim of the gunsight circle (when fired at 1000m). If you move the gunsight just a little bit down (about 1/4th of the gunsight radius) it would show the bullets' impact point perfectly.

Also make the canopy open when the engine is off (which would be natural, since you can't enter or exit an aircraft when the engine is on).

Some other features that could make the aircraft perfect:

-RWR display from DKM (Mi-28 Havoc)

-ILS from Hardrock (not released yet)

-HUD pitch ladders from OpFr (Jaguar)

-Ejection seat & life raft from OpFr (Jaguar)

-Turbofan engine sound like in LOMAC

-Turbofan engine sound like in LOMAC

This sound itn't good for OFP sad_o.gif

Sorry for using this topic, but I think here are some aircraft interested ppl.

Has anyone ever thought about making a "flightsim island" for ofp?

What means "flightsim island"?

It means an island of 25x25km or better 50x50km size.

Using "low-res" textures to simulate gras/fields/streets/whatever.

Using cold war crisis trees/houses/objects, but only a few.

Only at airports, addons like mapfacts airport/baracken packs should be used.

Goal is to have a huge island with as less as possible objects to get high view distances and as much frames as possible.

Maybe a good place for some nice aircraft missions/MP missions. And don't forget the nimitz aircraft carrier.

What do you all think?

Who is willing to make such an island?

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Sorry for using this topic, but I think here are some aircraft interested ppl.

Has anyone ever thought about making a "flightsim island" for ofp?

What means "flightsim island"?

It means an island of 25x25km or better 50x50km size.

Using "low-res" textures to simulate gras/fields/streets/whatever.

Using cold war crisis trees/houses/objects, but only a few.

Only at airports, addons like mapfacts airport/baracken packs should be used.

Goal is to have a huge island with as less as possible objects to get high view distances and as much frames as possible.

Maybe a good place for some nice aircraft missions/MP missions. And don't forget the nimitz aircraft carrier.

What do you all think?

Who is willing to make such an island?

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Nah, it won't works...

What will you do? Fly from one airport to another? It will take you maximum 2 minutes... sad_o.gif

Oh yeah, and the AI launches the AIM-9M's at ground targets. That's just not good.

ya that happens on my a10 too anything i tried to prevent them from doing this failed,or i could just be missing something in the config crazy_o.gif

so you guys want Diesel and I to team up

Nah, it won't works...

What will you do? Fly from one airport to another? It will take you maximum 2 minutes... sad_o.gif

Better flying ~1Minute in a dogfight to meet in the middle of the island WITH high view distances and WITHOUT lag, then flying ~10seconds over nogova with low view distances and lag.

The point is to have the higher view distances.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

And no wet landings when you punch out of your crippeled jet. Only to die when you hit the water.

I used a couple of huge desert islands for air combat missions, or fly at over 700 ft the land is out of view distance then, and zero lag. Where jets are more common to dog fight anyway..

Had time to really put this plane through the wrigger, yes is really cool., just if you use the R-T80s from the real armor addon pack you get your tail section blown off. The crews tend to engage with the mg when you have four companies of tanks in an open area its lots of flak, A10s should shrug off 50 cal and 7.62 so the armor values need to be kicked up..