Sign in to follow this  
Diesel

A-10 Thunderbolt II v0.5

that right .... it is the Eurofighter from Hardrock, but I have only the Lights and not the Eurofighter wink_o.gif Sorry.....

Hardrock had make the Pics with the Eurofighter . wink_o.gif

Maybe this has been asked before, but what's the difference between A10 Thunderbolt and A10 Warthog?

And why is it called A10 Thunderbolt II? Is there any Thunderbolt I?

Maybe this has been asked before, but what's the difference between A10 Thunderbolt and A10 Warthog?

"Thunderbolt II" is the official USAF "nickname" for the A-10, while "Warthog" is more of an "unofficial" nickname that the pilots use. Similarly, officially the F-16's "nickname" is "Fighting Falcon", while its most commonly called "Viper" by the ones who pilot it.

EDIT: Hawkeye has it right, the original "Thunderbolt" was the P-47, known for its ruggedness and great ground attack abilities. This was the reason for calling the A-10 "Thunderbolt II", sort of to "continue the legacy". I may be wrong on this one, but I think the origin of the "Warthog" nickname (other than looks) comes from the F-105 being called "Hog" because it took so much runway space to take off fully-loaded. When the A-10 was produced, I guess since loaded down it can be pretty sluggish in take-off, they decided to "continue the legacy" again. biggrin_o.gif

A10 Thunderbolt is the official USAF name. Probably derived from the fact that this thing is a flying cannon.

Warthog is the nickname of the plane. Because it looks like the said animal. She's an ugly ugly looking plane. But it's the survivability and bang for buck firepower that makes it extremely sexy.... lol. biggrin_o.gif

IDONTNO, cool, but blue light, what it is?

BTW. Very nice pics wow_o.gif

A10 Thunderbolt is the official USAF name. Probably derived from the fact that this thing is a flying cannon.

Warthog is the nickname of the plane. Because it looks like the said animal. She's an ugly ugly looking plane. But it's the survivability and bang for buck firepower that makes it extremely sexy.... lol. biggrin_o.gif

and the Thunderbolt (1) was a ww2 plane wink_o.gif

P47 Thunderbolt (a worthy predesessor for the A10 as it had about the same role as the A10 does (killing tanks)) smile_o.gif

IDONTNO, cool, but blue light, what it is?

BTW. Very nice pics wow_o.gif

The blue lights mark taxiways and such.

Also, as a little aside, its called Thunderbolt II for the same reason the F-4 Phantom is actually called the F-4 Phantom II, since both the aircraft's names have been used before for other airframes.

A-10?? Ugly??

I think it's a beautiful plane. It may not be as shiny as your WWII P-51 but it's definately more menacing.

Oh, one more thing, are we gonna get the cockpit of the new A-10C??? biggrin_o.gif I know it's a small detail, and really serves no purpose in OFP.

i've been working on some lights too. Haven't finished them yet though, and I'm trying to get them as close to the FAA configurations as I can... Also a working airport beacon light and approach lighting.... As well as different configurations of approach lighting.

f16.jpg

approach.jpg

Boy that must be laggy atleast a bit... I've tried the same with BIS campfires...

About the T-Bolt I...

P-47 (seems like D-27 or newer in the pic, noticeable due the bubble canopy), nicknamed "Jug". Can reach high diving speed compared to other same era fighters. Armed with 8 .50 cal MG's and can carry many different loadout, including bombs (up to 1000 lbs, total 2000-3000 lbs, I think) and 2.75 inch rockets (2x3 tubes). Can go up to 700 km/h. Uses Pratt & Whittney R-2000 engine, which makes it powerful (way over 2,000 hp), though gives only adequite climb rate.

Slow turning rate at low altitudes, but still a fearsome foe. Hard bird, can stand multiply 20mm shells.

That's my knowledge...

A pic...

http://www.majorleesaerodrome.net/images/P47MTechBW.jpg

Even more info...

http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/p-47.htm

funny thing... On my computer I get no lag biggrin_o.gif..... Possibly because the lights don't have a geo LOD? I'm using an edited light so its viewable from at least 800m away and emits a lighting effect on the surrounding area. Also, I have scripoted approach lighting and airport beacon... For identifying civil and military airports... You don't want to be in a cessna and land in a military base by accident ;)

They don't make any light around them so I'm assuming that's why they do not lag. They look fantastic Baz, the same way they look as I fly into Lindbergh Field/San Diego Intl in FS2K4!

Some airports have poles with lights on them when they have obstructions in the way (such as a bridge, in the case of Camp Pendleton) - do you plan to add one of these?

all you need to do is setpos one of those lights and run a flashing light script to simulate obsruction lighting..... Similar to my airport beacon light.... Currently I have a prolonged green followed by 2 short white flashes, which is the lighting symbol for an airstrip used by the military.

currently my project doesn't use 3D models... only lights and scripting to simulate the didderent types of flashing lights you would see at an airport. As per FAA specs... So sorry you Europeans you'll have to find someone to make them for your specs.

Harmed remove image tags when quoting please.