Sign in to follow this  
Diesel

A-10 Thunderbolt II v0.5

Bug: AA missiles target ground units.

dunno if it's been posted.

Just tried that. Yep. Bug. Didn't notice it till now.

Hey Diesel, a very nice Addon and great addition to the OFP air. wink_o.gif

I didn't read the whole thread and maybe didn't have the last version but I want to point your eyes on some smaller bugs I found so far...if you already now them beat me.

- Sidewinders are looking "through" the braking-flaps if pulled

- GAU has no muzzleflash (or not a "representive" one)

- I don't know what it is but the marked part on the wing is on the other side in your modell...pic.

The other stuff was mentioned already.

---------------

thunderstrucks.jpg

Click screen for higher res...1024x580

I've a mission with the A-10 ready. It just needs some final fixes to fit to the finalversion of "Mapfact - Nogova" and should be released shortly after the island.

overview.jpg

Greetz

Plage

it is really hard to get the AI from using AA missiles on ground targets. most of the time when you make an jet that is an Air to air you make it so that it is blind to the groudn targets and can only see air. but aside from that it is really hard. the AI will always engage the highest cost target with whatever it has left.

it is really hard to get the AI from using AA missiles on ground targets. most of the time when you make an jet that is an Air to air you make it so that it is blind to the groudn targets and can only see air. but aside from that it is really hard. the AI will always engage the highest cost target with whatever it has left.

Well all I know is that so far, in tests with ground targets only, an AI piloted A10 is firing Mavericks and dropping MK82s. What happens when it runs out of those? Seems to prefer the cannon.

I have yet to see the AI flying the A10 firing Sidewinders on ground targets.

Does the ammo need to explode when it hits the ground??

Would you prefer the landscape littered with duds? crazy_o.gif

I have seen it fire Aim-9's at tanks. well not seen but after returning an dlanding the ai a10 wing man had onyl 1 aim-9 left and it was onyl ground targets on the map. besides me, him and another AI all in A10's..

i think he meant could they air brust or proximity detonate.

because like bombs are soem times nice to air burst agaienst infantry etc. and I beleive the Mavrick has a prox det tho I am not 100% sure..

Does the ammo need to explode when it hits the ground??

Would you prefer the landscape littered with duds? crazy_o.gif

you can achieve the same effect by not having HE ammo, so when it does hit a tank it does alot of damage, just seems that the exlosions when it hits the ground are a little OTT.

Maybe it is stupid statement, but...

Sidewinder is IR guided missile, so targetting ground targets is possible in r/l? Maybe not tanks or IFV, but trucks or cars...

And with it's warhead it can destroy optics, thermal stuff, whells, ect.

I would like to hear opinion of a pilot smile_o.gif

No, unless it is a VERY high heat source on the ground, not to mention it would have to put out the right kind of infared and light waves generated by a jet engine.

It's highly unlikely that a IR AAM would seek a ground target well because IR AAM's are designed to find aircraft targets in the air, not targets on the ground. That would be like changing the color of white sky with the aircraft in the air colored black (using illustration here), then change the sky color to a VERY dark grey.

That's what happens when someone tries to attack a target on the ground with a IR AAM.

yeah IR AAM need very hot source (2,000F+).

it would be hard for ti to lock on an truck wich max would be 400F or so aboot the only thing an IR AAM could lock onto would be the turbine engine of an M1A1/2 wich does run up to around 2,000 at times. and evne then the tiny fragmenation warhead would do very little to an M1A1/2.

and in a desert some times the ground sand can be higher then an the surface of an truck or tank that is not running.

The M1 exahaust burns at 3,000, capable of melting other vehicles that tailgates it and easilly locked on by IR weapons. Often have some dummy tailgate the tanks on base and get their paint striped off the metal and the windshield melted on their car. A few times the tank melted down the front end of the vehicle.

Heard of a Phatom pilot that killed a T55 with a air to air missile durring Nam, hell, I've walked around some of the planes and could hear the missiles tracking me, watching the sensors in the nose bubbles looking around which is really spooky, so if they can follow a human walking around why not beable to seak a large hot running engine..

Indeed, IR missiles do not need a 2000F+ heat source to track.

It used to be common practice in the RAF to check the IR seeker heads with a hand-torch, just shine it through the transparent pane on the nose, and watch the seeker head follow the torch as you moved it.

First generation missiles also suffered from being "distracted" by the sun and clouds (part of the reason the 'Nam shot/kill ratio was so fugged)

Newer generation seeker heads still work on the same principal, but are more refined to not suffer from such discrepancies.

So is there a way in OFP from preventing AA weapons from locking on ground targets? rock.gif

None found yet. You can stop the AI 'seeing' ground targets

by setting irScanGround=0 in the config, but that's not much

use here, obviously.

The other possibility is to 'tune' the weapon damage so that

the AI doesn't select the AIM-9 when attacking a tank.

That's a _long_ process: second-guessing the AI is hard.

it is funny the one tihng you would want to use an AA missile for groudn infantry, it is unable to lock on to.. gotta love game limits..

lol

Very nice plane. Hell I like that cockpit. Good job on that.

But I'm missing a Paveway version. Some GBU's would have been nice.

Maybe it's a bug or I'm just stupid: The 30mm bullets explode as big as the bombs. Is that normal?

Like 30mm grenades? Yep.

OFP's big yellow explosions for smaller explosions like a LAW hit or a 30mm round hit need work, but that's been done, hasn't it?

I told B.I.S. about that early on, but for whatever reason they went for Hollywood.

A Marine at work described a LAW hit or a 40mm 'nade hit as a "blue spark". That's been mine experience, too.

A-10A Thunderbolt II

version 1.1

Change log:

- Fixed CTD

- Fixed some bugs in model

- Added materials

- Added muzzleflash

- Added A-10 with laser bomb (4 x GBU-12, 2x Maverick, 2x Sidewinder)

Download

Been beta testing for you for a while.

Just downloaded the 1.1 version and CTD'd a second after the gray Maverick plane appeared on the screen the first time I tried using it. sad_o.gif

EDIT: Shut down other programs, restarted OFP and the same mission I've been testing with for weeks and again it CTD'd shortly after starting.

Something's very wrong!

Only grey version with maverick? rock.gif

That's what the mission uses. I'll play around with the others and get back to you in a few minutes.

Now, after restarting OFP a 3rd time, I cannot reproduce the CTD but something was definitely wrong. I'll reboot soon and try again.

In the meantime:

1. You still haven't fixed the reversed North/South letters in the cockpit compass.

2. The green Maverick and GBU versions give off lots of dust from the wheels during takeoff. It doesn't look good. The other 4 plane versions don't do this.

3. Again, the bombs on the racks stop displaying too soon. Your second LOD should kick in when the plane is further away. This is very noticeable.

Now to reboot..........................................