Sign in to follow this  
Sniper_Kyle

Running Out Of Ideas

Ok today I officially have run out of ideas that a normal ofp scriptor (not like kegety or good ol' pappy boyington) could make....you see, I have lots of free time this month but I have no ideas of things (preferably scripts) to make for OFP. I was wondering if there was something cool that someone wanted to see happen while playing or some kind of effect??? rock.gif All suggestions accepted (please keep it reasonable and not childish though)

Two gun script!

Ability to carry, say, an M24 sniper rifle and an M4 carbine would be great, and assure you a spot in OFP immortality!

Maybe have it so the units has 1/2 M24 ammo, 1/2 M4 ammo, and carries the rifle he isn't using in the "launcher" slot. (This might require model editing, not sure).

smile_o.gif

@Major Fubar

that's a good idea but i guess that like you said it requires some model editing. But there's an other solution about it, use Backpack and script them to load a second weapon in it. It is more simple and easier to do than editing models. smile_o.gif i wonder why there is so few missions using backpacks...... rock.gif

@Sniper_Kyle

About scripts ideas....well....hum.....i have none.   sad_o.gif

Maybe a script allowing CoC_diver to board a boat while swimming. I tried a longtime ago and i almost succeed at it but i had to use the radio command (0-0-...) which is not realistic, i didn't succeed to add this possibility via the action menu. And it was not working each time. So maybe it could be your new challenge for this month. (but there too, it might need some config changes.... so a new addon.... so forget this stupid idea.... sad_o.gif  )

Quote[/b] ]Make a script where you can control more than 12 units!

There was one ages ago where you could control groups of units but not the individuals within the groups.

Quote[/b] ]Make a script where you can control more than 12 units!

There was one ages ago where you could control groups of units but not the individuals within the groups.

Yeah, that was included in the ROC MOD 3

Hey, there are plenty needful stuff, like folding machine gun's bipod legs, grenade explodes after 3 seconds, moving helmet, flashlight and other stuff...

Make a script whiched could be used in city combat.

I was thinking that you could do so when in a City(you could problery make a trigger or somthing in the mission editor to start it) the normal formations where made slimmer, men would sit down and whach there flank, i was thinking like in R6:2 a path of way points where made for your team mates to folow so they would go excatly where you had just steped that would be good when moving in colum formation than you could just run thru the city and you soldiers would follow you whit out going all the places they shoudent.

STGN

Here is one:

1. let's say we have two possible choices for vehicle disembaring:

a. safe - stays at it is

b. combat - script it so that when a team leaves a vehicle they take defending positions around a vehicle. It would have to be a dynamic script. Let me explain. Each position would be taken by a soldier depending on whether he was first or second (or so) to leave it. Make it so they can fight in those positions.

2. bleeding (I know it was and don't know if it's a script). Let's say your hit. Depending on which part your are hit at, it would effect your mobility or efficiency. Again, let me explain. I would like to be just like a real thing. When your hit your never realy fully recovered + visible bandadges on the wounded part. There have to be limits after being wounded:

a. cannot run like it used to be - too much sprinting would open the wound resulting in bleeding out

b. your aiming efficiency drops after being shot at arms torso, back.

c. in a single mission a wounded soldier cannot be fully recovered.

3. I don't know it is already possible without any script. Black out after being knocked out by a bullet or a grenade explosion.

Script idea 1: instant get in vehicle get out vehicle button map. Button one puts you in vehicle automatically as driver, buttons two as commander and gunner respectively.

Script idea 2: realistic radio man script: You get your ogg file of the radio broadcast. You set your radio man in game. Works along with the Bas_satcom addon. Whoever has the bas_satcom , when the trigger is set to go off in any which way, only the player with the bas satcom plays the radio transmission. When he dies the radio transmission plays from the dead soldier. When someone else picks up the bas satcom he becomes the new radio man and the trasmissions are heard coming off of his body through triggers.

script idea 3: birds gone crazy script. Ever seen a movie where a gunshot goes off and the birds go flying into the air leaving a commando squad gawking at what may have set the birds so crazy? Well now you can reenact that same feeling with the birds gone crazy script. you can make a trigger activate the birds flying into the air whether someone fires a shot, someone gets killed or wahtever.

That's all i got for now.

a script that gives you control over a remotely controlled little car, using the camera script from a UAV, but when it's under a tank.... BOOM! (with the puch of a button)

a script that gives you control over a remotely controlled little car, using the camera script from a UAV, but when it's under a tank.... BOOM! (with the puch of a button)

the same but a plane called "Predator".

to make a unit have too guns make one gun classific as a rocket launcher then use the gun amin in the ccp file

How about a black out/red out script for high g forces in planes? I am pretty sure this was not done before - correct me if I am wrong, I could have missed it.

I like that script idea 3: birds gone crazy script from BoweryBaker!

Hey sniper_Skyle what abotu adding a S/VTOL script to my Harriers. Col. Klink is good but not perfect maybe you can do something better.

Wow I'm liking all the suggestions they are all very good and I am already planning on how to go about doing them. BoweryBaker, I really like your idea with the birds gone crazy thing and all I would really need to do that is to know the class name of seagulls....I'm pretty sure Col. Klink knows this so Colonel, if you see this...dont be afraid to tell me wink_o.gifwink_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]a script that gives you control over a remotely controlled little car, using the camera script from a UAV, but when it's under a tank.... BOOM! (with the puch of a button)

This would be quite easy to do when it comes to implementing the camera script (with permission, of coarse) and doing the explosion....however it would require some model editing to get a tiny car because I dont know if it has been made yet. Also it would be nice if you could elaborate more on how you would like the remote car bomb system to work...like through a dialogue? crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]How about a black out/red out script for high g forces in planes? I am pretty sure this was not done before - correct me if I am wrong, I could have missed it.

I also have not seen this done before....and it could be done in a variety of ways (just cover the screen with solid red or black image, etc). Definitely possible.

Quote[/b] ]Script idea 1: instant get in vehicle get out vehicle button map. Button one puts you in vehicle automatically as driver, buttons two as commander and gunner respectively.

This would take some serious thought and I dont know if I could complete this is the near future because I dont know anyone that has ever been able to assign a key to do something because, afaik, OFP isnt like other games where they have a simple file for key binds (binds.txt, etc) . But I shall still look for ways.

Quote[/b] ]Script idea 2: realistic radio man script: You get your ogg file of the radio broadcast. You set your radio man in game. Works along with the Bas_satcom addon. Whoever has the bas_satcom , when the trigger is set to go off in any which way, only the player with the bas satcom plays the radio transmission. When he dies the radio transmission plays from the dead soldier. When someone else picks up the bas satcom he becomes the new radio man and the trasmissions are heard coming off of his body through triggers.

Hmm sounds very interesting....however are you suggesting a dynamic radio conversation like, say, in real life because if I were to do that I would need to recruit a voice "actor" like FDF because I would need a hell of a lot of words in a database crazy_o.gif . But if you are just saying that you just make a couple OGG files to play periodically in the mission to do radio checks, etc, I am sure this could be done in a small matter of time.

Quote[/b] ]1. let's say we have two possible choices for vehicle disembaring:

a. safe - stays at it is

b. combat - script it so that when a team leaves a vehicle they take defending positions around a vehicle. It would have to be a dynamic script. Let me explain. Each position would be taken by a soldier depending on whether he was first or second (or so) to leave it. Make it so they can fight in those positions.

Ok, but somehow this would involve, in oxygen or other 3d program, setting proxies for where the soldiers should take positions and I dont even know if you can refer to proxies ingame rock.gif But if you could I could just try to refer to already-made proxies (wheels, doors, etc.) .

Quote[/b] ]2. bleeding (I know it was and don't know if it's a script). Let's say your hit. Depending on which part your are hit at, it would effect your mobility or efficiency. Again, let me explain. I would like to be just like a real thing. When your hit your never realy fully recovered + visible bandadges on the wounded part. There have to be limits after being wounded:

a. cannot run like it used to be - too much sprinting would open the wound resulting in bleeding out

b. your aiming efficiency drops after being shot at arms torso, back.

c. in a single mission a wounded soldier cannot be fully recovered.

Ok I could make it so that a medic can only heal you a certain percent or something...but I could not do the visible bandage part because, due to the OFP engine, the bandage would stay in the same relative position of where he was hit, but it would "float" or just be at weird angles from the body when the soldier moves certain ways. (its too bad the devs didnt include a "setangle" command for objects because then I could make that possible.)

About the not running like usual...I'm pretty sure that is a boundary too because there is no "setspeed" command for units and the "setvelocity" command does not work for soldiers.

About the aiming not being "as good" as it was before being wounded I'm pretty sure this already happens slightly...but I would have to look through some original files to find out how they did it.

And lastly...the whole blacking out part after you have been hit has already been done by WGL.

My hands are tired so I'll stop tounge_o.gif

Maybe scripted landing on exactly on chosen helipad? When u have few helipads nereby eachother choppers lands rather randomly and sometimes not on helipad at all.

Quote[/b] ]How about a black out/red out script for high g forces in planes? I am pretty sure this was not done before - correct me if I am wrong, I could have missed it.

I also have not seen this done before....and it could be done in a variety of ways (just cover the screen with solid red or black image, etc).  Definitely possible.

It would be good if you could implement tunnel vision as a precursor to a blackout/greyout. That way a high g turn would cause narrowing of vision and if sustained a blackout. Maybe you could also add 'grunting' noises as the pilot fights to combat blackout?! That would be super-realistic!!

Good luck!

Hey sniper_Skyle what abotu adding a S/VTOL script to my Harriers. Col. Klink is good but not perfect maybe you can do something better.

biggrin_o.gif lol

The final release Harrier script is nothing like the one released ages ago.

Quote[/b] ]Quote

Script idea 2: realistic radio man script: You get your ogg file of the radio broadcast. You set your radio man in game. Works along with the Bas_satcom addon. Whoever has the bas_satcom , when the trigger is set to go off in any which way, only the player with the bas satcom plays the radio transmission. When he dies the radio transmission plays from the dead soldier. When someone else picks up the bas satcom he becomes the new radio man and the trasmissions are heard coming off of his body through triggers.

Hmm sounds very interesting....however are you suggesting a dynamic radio conversation like, say, in real life because if I were to do that I would need to recruit a voice "actor" like FDF because I would need a hell of a lot of words in a database [crazy_o.gif] . But if you are just saying that you just make a couple OGG files to play periodically in the mission to do radio checks, etc, I am sure this could be done in a small matter of time.

Goood good. Remember this isn't an addon idea its a script to be used with a radio man and his radio. Let me put it like this. Editor determines what he wants transmitted from the radio man when the area is clear through trigger, his own ogg file and description.ext all with the help of a readme file that comes with the script on instructions how or like me, by his own knowledge.

He puts in a trigger something along the lines of when east not detected the player that hasweapon bas_satcom will play sound "sound". Something close to that. That's put in a trigger and only the player with the radio will play the transmission when that trigger is set off, or perhaps even players with their radioes will play it. Only people near the radio man will hear the transmission, it will be coming from his body. This makes the radio man have an important job in ofp, as in real life he is the relay between hq and the leader and if you leave that important piece of equipment, the radio, behind you could miss out on valuable orders and information. That's how it works. I hope this time its easier to understand.

You should also make it so that the script accomodates the CSLA mod radio man. Maybe then you could have a mission where if you kill the radio man on the enemy side and steal his radio you could intercept enemy convoys and stuff like that, kinda steal information on where patrols are moving n stuff becasue you have their radio and are hearing their transmissions.

If any other mod has a radio man they should contact you to accomodate for it, or perhaps you should make the script easily editable so that any mod can write in their own radio script by just replacing a few identifier names. Your demo mission of this script however should accomodate the bas_satcom.

Adjustable sights: To add some realism and challenge to the game, this would be nice. Basically, you would be able to adjust windage and elevation on your weapon, via the action menu (or a dialog). So you would catch fired bullets with an EH, and then give them a slight 'nudge' in a certain direction via setvelocity, according to how the player has adjusted his sights.

Wind simulation: This would go hand-in hand with the above suggestion. Basically, you would detect the direction/strength of the wind via a dropped particle. Then, at the same time you 'nudge' the bullet for the player's sight adjustments, you also 'nudge' the bullet according to the wind direction. Thus, if the player doesn't compensate for the wind, he isn't going to hit his target.

You could also script a wind simulation to affect aircraft.

Bullet air-drag simulation: Again, goes hand in hand with adjustable sights. This is also easy to script, but harder to figure out the math/physics of. Basically, you would gradually slow down a bullet's velocity as it flies, due to wind resistance. You could also gradually curve its trajectory due to wind direction, as an alternate to the above idea of giving it a one-time nudge when fired.

And of course, there is always the big pie-in-the-sky:

Improved AI script: Make the AI fight intelligently and realistically. This would include taking cover, giving suppressive fire, reacting to suppressive fire, performing envelopements (flanking movements), etc.

Are you up to the challenge?

I dont know if it is possible but it would be neat to comand more than 12 people.

So it would be cool to comand like 12 groups of 4 or something.