Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Operation Flashpoint: Mission Editing Competition.

Objects are hardly a problem, the real problem can be number of AI. This is solved with a system like AI-OD. You can usually save CE missions as far as I remember.

Quote[/b] ]Objects are hardly a problem, the real problem can be number of AI.

Like when you're trying to make realistic civilian population centers.

Quote[/b] ]This is solved with a system like AI-OD.

rock.gif And that is?

Again, your argument boils down to:

Argument 1:

these tools tend to favor very large missions.

Very large missions don't work well in OFP.

Argument 2:

you like to micromanage units.

you will therefore score poorly a system that doesn't focus on micromanagement.

Argument 3:

Most missions made with CE have problems that limit playability.

Argument 4:

You want to see missions that feature the player commanding resistance units. Missions that do not have meet this criterion will be penalized accordingly.

To which I respond:

Argument 1:

This is true of all OFP missions. They can get big in a hurry. Lots of work must be done to give a mission a "Big" feel without the "big" performance hit.

Arguments 2 and 4 are where I use the term "prejudice".

Argument 3: Again, this is true of most OFP missions. I mean, how many really good, well written missions are there?

Quote[/b] ]you like to micromanage units.

you will therefore score poorly a system that doesn't focus on micromanagement.

Well, first off, I won't score anything, because I'm not a judge. Second, the ability to carefully position units can mean the difference between a resounding victory and a massacre. If you can be casual about your units' positions, then the mission is too easy.

Quote[/b] ] You want to see missions that feature the player commanding resistance units. Missions that do not have meet this criterion will be penalized accordingly.

No. Read it again. I'd rather see CE being used for West vs. East (Where casualties are more acceptable), than in a mission about the Resistance (Where the inability to micromanage ambushes and defenses would make for a very unentertaining experience). I think an RTS about the resistance would be very interesting, but it would have to give me stuff that CE doesn't have:

1. The ability to dig into towns. Troops should be able to set up roadblocks, hide in entrances, etc...

2. The ability to carefully manage ambushes.

3. The ability to create ammo dumps.

4. The ability to recruit townspeople to your cause.

5. The ability to position snipers to knock off only important targets.

6. The ability for snipers to automatically "shoot-'n-scoot".

If I was a judge, would I penalize a mission about the Resistance that used CE "straight out of the box"? Yes, because I wouldn't be able to use some important guerrilla tactics. It would be an unentertaining massacre.

I bear no special love for the resistance, but I think it would be unique to create a special RTS about them. If it's for anyone, it's for Suchey's RNI in VIT's APC's smile_o.gif . I wouldn't vote against a West vs. East merely because of the sides involved. I'd vote against it if the Atmosphere or Playability factors had been compromised.

In closing, I'm not someone who judges a mission on whom the mission is about. I'm someone who judges on realism, atmosphere, playability, and uniqueness.

You make the missions you like, and I'll make the missions I like. And I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

Quote[/b] ]Objects are hardly a problem, the real problem can be number of AI.

Like when you're trying to make realistic civilian population centers.

Quote[/b] ]This is solved with a system like AI-OD.

rock.gif And that is?

CoC AI on Demand.

Here is a link to a mission which uses it:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=39977

I love youse guys.... tounge_o.gif

oh just 1 thing does the mission have a max set for player slots to play on Multi-Player ??  is it 10 or unlimited..?

I don't feel that it's necessary to dictate any kind of rules with regard to MP player slots, different missions will warrant different amounts, e.g. a tense specops co-op mission may be better limited to 4 for sake of mission realism or whatever, best left to mission maker's discretion smile_o.gif

With regard to the question about saving, that was answered in the Mission Editing Competition Q&A, we've been offline for a few days so I'm playing serious catchup and I'm not sure if I posted that link in the forums so apologies for that.

Ahh I put the Q&A link in my sig before we went offline, nice to see it was noticed wink_o.gif

With regards to submitting old missions, well firstly as someone said missions must be anonymous, and submitting an old, previously public mission would mean it's not anonymous. However a previous mission/style/idea/concept can always be used as a basis or inspiration for a new mission.

What if you had an old mission, and updated it greatly? By updating - I mean changing objectives, adding, or making a new side for it, etc?

Pretty much sounds like a new mission to me smile_o.gif

Will sound and voice files from BIS campaigns/missions be allowed in mission submissions or does this violate the now copyrighted rule?

It's allowed smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Q: Regarding the copyrighted material: Can we use Flashpoint's own sounds? I'm talking especially about the voice recordings that can be found when decompressing the campaign pbo's. Are these sound files usable or do they belong into the copyrighted category?

A: If we've released it you can use it, as a smart person once said BIS can't sue BIS!

Will sound and voice files from BIS campaigns/missions be allowed in mission submissions?

As eisa01 said it's asked and answered in the Q&A, you did look at the Q&A right? Ya know, the one linked in my sig? Noob wink_o.gif

ooopsie, boy do i feel foolish now, i get impulsive sometimes, sorry i will slap myself on the wrist now.

Ouch!! crazy_o.gif

I'll tell Hellfish to give you a slap from me smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Q: Regarding the copyrighted material: Can we use Flashpoint's own sounds? I'm talking especially about the voice recordings that can be found when decompressing the campaign pbo's. Are these sound files usable or do they belong into the copyrighted category?

A: If we've released it you can use it, as a smart person once said BIS can't sue BIS!

About the english with "russian" accent that can be found on the Codemaster product "Red Hammer".

As i don't know the origin of those voices, are they considered as owned by BIS or owned by Codemaster ?

As Red Hammer is a Codemasters release and as Codemasters and BIS are two seperate companies whereby a legal aspect could come into play I think it's fair to say that Red Hammer voices cannot be used.

Good question to add to the Q&A, thanks smile_o.gif

But it is in the game and we all paid for it?

I don't have Red Hammer. And I doubt that I could be the only one.

smile_o.gif

It also displays the BIS logo on the cover too, I thought this meant BIS made it and Codemasters Published it..?.

But then again the CD contains most of the ADDONS that came out Free With the UPGRADE PATCH But the russian voices were not, Only peeps that have the RED HAMMER CD have the Russian Voices. So im guessing Codemasters had done this under there own steam and not BIS ?

If so then it is a Copyright issue with CodeMasters. smile_o.gif

OMG i had paid 20 hard earned smackers on a few Voices and a tiny Manual :P (Worth every penny ;))

Only peeps that have the RED HAMMER CD have the Russian Voices. So im guessing Codemasters had done this under there own steam and not BIS ?

If so then it is a Copyright issue with CodeMasters.   smile_o.gif

Yep to all 3 points, that's why I said the same above biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]It also displays the BIS logo on the cover too, I thought this meant BIS made it and Codemasters Published it..?.

No, Codemasters made and Published Red Hammer. Correct me if I'm wrong though..

Edit: Oh Placebo beat me to it with .. 18 hours. smile_o.gif

Hi all. Just wondering if we make our own music. I was going to use a instrument from South America i found to make some music and record it. Just wondering if that would violate any rules rock.gif

Hi all. Just wondering if we make our own music. I was going to use a instrument from South America i found to make some music and record it. Just wondering if that would violate any rules rock.gif

Gaah I knew I had answered that question lately, unfortunately it was in an Email, here's the same answer.....

Quote[/b] ]If you write and perform your own music you own the copyright, it's quite unlikely you would ever sue yourself so you're perfectly fine to use your own music smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif

As you've reminded me I'll add it to the Q&A, I do keep updating that smile_o.gif