Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Operation Flashpoint: Mission Editing Competition.

kool. thanks for clearing that up. smile_o.gif

Maybe a kind of reminder should be added in this submission form

"Do not forget to include a readme.txt file for extra informations"

"Do not forget to include in a readme.txt the names of the addons needed for your mission in the case you submit it in addon categories"

etc...

Well all that is clearly written in the rules, I think people have only themselves to blame if they submit something before they have double/triple checked everything smile_o.gif

Now that I see the main prize I MUST enter in my mission.  VBS for free?  This will be incredible.

I have one question however.  A person I know has made music for a long time, and has copyrighted his music.  However is it alright if we use the music with his permission?

Or is it strict that we cannot use ANY copyrighted material reguardless of permission from the author?

MY GOD I gotta win this thing.

Also how many submissions did you get so far?  I want to have a chance at least  sad_o.gif

And one last question, is there a limit to how many addons we can use?  Or file sizes or anything along those lines? I noticed there is no place in the Submission form that shows a place where I can put in my required addons link.

Do I include it in the ZIP file? Or can I make a link in the README that directs you to the addon package?

How about reading the MEC page as well as the Q&A? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Q: The rules said the mission creator's name may not be used in the mission, does this include using my clan's banner on the flags?

A: As long as you remember that using a flag not already in the game means your mission is using an addon (unless flags can be put into the mission pbo?) then you're fine to use such a flag smile_o.gif

Yes, you can put flags into the mission-pbo. But isn't it dumb, to let the mission-maker put it's clan's flag into the mission. Many clans does have only one mission-maker, so it isn't very difficult to find out who it is. Either we make absolut anonymous missions, or we keep away from the whole s**t.

I don't see anything about "legally" using music copyrighted crazy_o.gif

Why do you want to put a clan banner/flag in a mission  rock.gif

People who can read has some advantages! wink_o.gif

I don't want to put it in, i found this point in the Q&A-Section, and just made a statement with my point of view!

Quote[/b] ]RESTRICTIONS

You agree not to modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble VBS1 or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of VBS1 without prior written permission of Bohemia Interactive Australia.

You agree not to use the product in North America (United States and Canada).

Would this mean that if the winner was a citizen of the US or Canada, then he/she wouldn't be eligable to receive the prize?

Quote[/b] ]RESTRICTIONS

You agree not to modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble VBS1 or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of VBS1 without prior written permission of Bohemia Interactive Australia.

You agree not to use the product in North America (United States and Canada).

Would this mean that if the winner was a citizen of the US or Canada, then he/she wouldn't be eligable to receive the prize?

Well that means Camp Pendleton and every other training base can't use them either.

I think the winner of VBS1 also has the exception

Quote[/b] ]Well that means Camp Pendleton and every other training base can't use them either.

Don't be silly. The military buys VBS through Coalescent, not BIA. That bit of legal stuff was for private users buying VBS from BIA, not government organizations buying through Coalescent.

M21man, asked and answered on page 1.

I don't see anything about "legally" using music copyrighted  crazy_o.gif

this still hasn't been answered... i've recorded a piece of music from my school choir and orchestra with their full permission, but they also sell the music on CD, hence a copyright...

I didn't reply further in here because SpecOp9 PM'd me, but I'll paste the question and my reply.....

Hey, I got a few questions.

1.  I have found somebody who is letting me legally use his copyrighted music, and is giving me a green light to use it for this competition.  Does this still mean that even if I got permission to use his work I still can't use it in my mission because of copyright?

1: I'm very wary about answering questions like this in the affirmative, without making any kind of accusation you could say you've been given permission yet the other person think otherwise, the mission is published, they decide to sue us. The only surefire way for all parties to be covered is if this person for example goes into the mission editing competition resource thread and offers their music to be used by competition entrants (as some people have done) smile_o.gif

hmmm, ok... because the music i've used is from an orchestra i play in... they've all said it's fine for me to use it (as it is in part some of my playing) but there are also singers in it, who gave their permission... they dont play OFP so they wouldnt come online and offer the music...

Suggestion: The 10 final missions to be judged by the community should remain anonymous, with the authors being revealed at the end of public voting. Otherwise it ends up being a popularity contest, not a best mission contest (you know this will happen, at least to a large enough extent to skew the voting). Creators of those final missions would not be allowed to acknowledge in any way their missions are in the Top 10, failure to comply would mean automatic forfeiture of the Grand Prize.

Whatcha think? smile_o.gif

sounds good to me - although there will be some knowledge of who created what (beta testers etc) but the large extent of people would not realise... maybe just refer to them as numbers... Mission 1, 2, 3 etc

simple voting then smile_o.gif

Question regarding copyright. Many military photo sites have a disclaimer that says (in essence) that you are "free to use these materials in anyway whatsoever, so long as it is non-commercial/not for profit". Where does this competition lie? Non-profit so long as you don't win? wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Problem is sites may suddenly forget that if a private company (i.e. Bohemia Interactive) are distributing their media, which is in essence what will happen with the 10 finalists (at the least).

Hello,

I've read the Q & A, updated rules, and all the pages except for 2 and 3 and I didn't see this question yet...

I would like to know how we are to request Beta testing for the mission editing competition.  Since there is supposed to be anonymity I'm thinking public beta testing would be banned....  So is there a preferred place to ask for such help?

Thanks,

Asmo

Hmm that's an interesting question, I guess I kinda assumed people would beta test themselves? As much as anything to protect their work, or at the very least only have close/trusted friends beta test (who they'd already have means to contact)?

Well, that is the challenge...  wink_o.gif

What I had in mind was asking for help and then selecting those that I trust.  I've been reading the forums alot more than posting and feel I know a lot of the members and could make a decently informed decision.

Also another factor is that all the mission designers I've ever seen have a certain "flair".  So there's not much worry for me if someone try's to steal my mission or concepts, because usually there's a few key people out there that can back up the origins of such things.  

Another thing I was wondering is are the judges going to unpbo the mission and look at the designing?  The trigger placement, sync techniques and such also give hints as to who the author is in my experience and I wanted to make sure you thought of it.   wink_o.gif  

The big thing is that the people that are beta testing currently for me have VERY limited time. Plus there are only up to 5 of us for Co-op testing and I want to try a full 12 at least once before submission.

Thanks for the response, any suggestions now that I've clarified a bit?   smile_o.gif

Asmo

What I had in mind was asking for help and then selecting those that I trust.

wink_o.gif

If you wanted to create a thread in ME&S asking for help beta testing your competition entry I see no reason to have a problem with that, judges of course cannot be beta testers so there's no point them offering to beta test smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Another thing I was wondering is are the judges going to unpbo the mission and look at the designing? The trigger placement, sync techniques and such also give hints as to who the author is in my experience and I wanted to make sure you thought of it.

I really can't see any need for that, the competition is about the experience the mission provides, more than how neat the scripting or whatever is smile_o.gif