Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Operation Flashpoint: Mission Editing Competition.

Okies the old discussion thread was here.

I've made a news post about the launch of the competition at http://www.bistudio.com

Also the competition information/rules page has been updated due to questions/suggestions during the last couple of days, you can find that here.

If in doubt check the Q&A out! (that includes you Winters  biggrin_o.gif)

Still looking for judges and will consider applications up until competition close, so if you're interested PM or E-mail me smile_o.gif

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>The submission form is now complete and working......

Mission Editing Competition: Submission Form.</span>

Ya I just read the news and your seriously giving out VBS1 for first place,darn my ME skills are rusty

When you having the addon making competition? Not that I am the best but I may pull things out my sleeve,lol

I am a little concerned about the MP non co-op category.

How can you judge a CTI against a CTF for example?

I realise there can't be too many categories but a seperate one for CTI should be added imo.

Another small question I have been curious about, the prize of VBS1....what if we live in North America? Isn't civilian ownership here restricted? Just curious why they might give it away here but not allow us to buy it.

Also, are you still looking for judges?

We'll just have to find a way, it's not ideal but it's necessary.

Quote[/b] ]I realise there can't be too many categories but a seperate one for CTI should be added imo.

There are already 4 MP categories compared to 2 SP, it's just not feasible/practical/fair to add another 2 MP categories, I understand the complaint but that's just going to have be the way it is smile_o.gif

Another small question I have been curious about, the prize of VBS1....what if we live in North America? Isn't civilian ownership here restricted? Just curious why they might give it away here but not allow us to buy it.

AFAIK it is not legal restrictions stopping you from purchasing VBS1 in the USA as much as it's Coalescents desire not to deal with individual requests hence their sales policy. Coalescent have the license to sell in North America, I know of no reason for their deal to stop Bohemia Interactive giving it out once as a prize smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Also, are you still looking for judges?

Yep, will be for the next two months smile_o.gif

We'll just have to find a way, it's not ideal but it's necessary.

Quote[/b] ]I realise there can't be too many categories but a seperate one for CTI should be added imo.

There are already 4 MP categories compared to 2 SP, it's just not feasible/practical/fair to add another 2 MP categories, I understand the complaint but that's just going to have be the way it is smile_o.gif

Fair enough.

One other thing....am i correct in thinking that there is a main prize of the VBS1 suite for each category or will there be a single overall winner?

I just checked the rules page but it does not make this clear.

well, i didnt get what exactly should be in credits? Thanks to Bill Gates for Notepad? If only me working on mission who should i thank? And i didnt get if i can use some utilities made by community (ie Chris' OFP Script Editor). Or non Vorbis's sound converter.

well, i didnt get what exactly should be in credits? Thanks to Bill Gates for Notepad? If only me working on mission who should i thank? And i didnt get if i can use some utilities made by community (ie Chris' OFP Script Editor). Or non Vorbis's sound converter.

If you use any addons/scripts give credit, if you want to give credit to Chris for his script editor that's fine and dandy, though not compulsory.

It's compulsory to give credit for something you're putting into the mission that's made by a 3rd party, eg an addon/script released by someone, you're not actually putting Chris' script editor into the mission, you're using it to help in the creation of the mission, same as a sound converter smile_o.gif

One other thing....am i correct in thinking that there is a main prize of the VBS1 suite for each category or will there be a single overall winner?

There is one single main prize for the overall winner smile_o.gif

er.....some kind of VBS price for judge boys rock.gif

if yes i wanna be judge biggrin_o.gif

BIS, you going to do this another time? I wanna be apart, but I can't play ofp until october. sad_o.gif

Why not start a Christmas Competition then?

er.....some kind of VBS price for judge boys  rock.gif  

LOL sorry but there are no prizes for being a judge, other than eternal love and respect from the community  wink_o.gif

BIS, you going to do this another time?

I can't promise anything, depends how this one turns out, entry wise etc. I would of course love it if it became an annual thing but it's hard to say what the future holds, maybe over the longer term a campaign competition is something I'd like to look into as well, all I can suggest is that we each do what we can to make this competition as successful as possible and then there can be no reasonable excuse to not run another one  wink_o.gif

Just a question:

If you make a costum WRP (not released) for your mission can you just include it in the zip/rar of your mission?

If you make a costum WRP (not released) for your mission can you just include it in the zip/rar of your mission?

I don't thinks that should be a problem, though I'm not a moderator, but isn't it an addon similiar to others?

one more question (i hope last  crazy_o.gif ). I can make voice acting in ANY languege but titles MUST BE in English?

and name in submission must be my real name or nickname?

BTW i'm very happy that BIS made espessialy mission editing competition. i'm bit tired of all that addons packs that are coming out all the time.  smile_o.gif

Why? So you can bribe em? tounge_o.gif

can u do that? smile_o.gif

Nah i was more thinking there were no noobs who just like coops and vote everything els than coop is shit. Many people really hate CTFs and C&Hs because they find it to much "Counter-strike". U following me? rock.gif

Why? So you can bribe em? tounge_o.gif

can u do that?  smile_o.gif

Nah i was more thinking there were no noobs who just like coops and vote everything els than coop is shit. Many people really hate CTFs and C&Hs because they find it to much "Counter-strike". U following me? rock.gif

Why would some one that only likes coops be a "noob" in your eyes?

With that being said, I sincerely hope that every one will be objective and unbiased.

smile_o.gif

The judges should consist of all kinds of people, objective of course, but it´s like a representative group in democracy: every kind of people with different interests gets a say on the thing (in the best case).  unclesam.gif

If a "newbie" likes a map because it´s entertaining and funny, but doesn´t like a mission that has master level scripts and triggers, it´s his opinion. Just like a hardcore script guru´s (assumable) bigger interest in how the scripts are done rather than how nice the mission is. A bit black n' white but I made my point clear I hope.  wink_o.gif

I have a question: does a map that uses Keg´s editorupdate102.pbo count as an addon mission? The vast majority of people have it because so many missions are using it, so it´s more like a standard than just another addon file.

I know that all OFP objects can be placed in a harder way, but the update is the most cost effective way to add them.

Just wanted to know so we will know which category our missions will go to. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]People may team up and submit a joint entry

OK, I have a question about this rule. If one person creates all mission files, but asks someone to do translations for multi-language support, does that count as a team effort? If I gave an English briefing and a basic stringtable.csv to someone who translated the briefing into German and added German entries to the stringtable, would that mean that only one of us could submit a mission?

Then who would get vbs if they won?!?! wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Then who would get vbs if they won?!?!

I'm just hoping that we can get a little slack here, and that the judges will allow independant competitors to do translations (And maybe a little voice acting) for each other.