Sign in to follow this  
Jmaster33

Reflective water?

Quote[/b] ]ah, it was about time to buy a new videocard anyway. Just another good reasen to do so. AWESOME work Keg.

But remember, Kegetys still hasn't said if he's releasing it or not, it's entirely up to him and feer.

I'm thinking it's going to be FDF 1.3 exclusive ;)

Edit: 1.3 not 1.4

Denoir, I love the big sexy words you use, oh yes I do!

wink_o.gif

You can call my techno-p0rn hotline for only 0.99 €/minute to hear more such words  wink_o.gif

Harnu:

Quote[/b] ]In lamens terms and a general explination, exactly how does this work?  How to pixel shaders work? etc etc.

Simply put shaders are small programs that are executed after the main rendering. They produce some effect that is then superimposed on the original rendered picture. There are 3d (vertex) and 2d (pixel) shaders. Reflection effects being the latter. In directx 8+ gfx boards there are hardware implementations of shader processors. In effect the rendered frame is sent to the shader along with 3d information and the shader makes a reflection image which it then superimposes on the original frame. It's all done on a hardware level within the GPU so it's very fast.

As for how Kegetys actually did it for OFP, it is way beyond my expertise. I would imagine that the solution isn't trivial.

I think I learned more from that than a whole semester of Computer Animation at my high school smile_o.gif

OMG this is too beautiful... THIS WILL MAKE OFP KICK ASS MUCH MORE!!! BIS isn't going to finish OFP 2 too soon I bet, so WE ALL NEED THIS!!! Cuz we do upgrade our systems anyway (heck OFP was released about 4-5 years ago...)...

ABSOLUTELY DROOLICIOUS, KEGETYS!!! biggrin_o.gif

There's some other things to do too, like getting the sky reflected which is going to be quite tricky also.

Does it reflect the moving clouds?

Does it reflect the moving clouds?

No (yet at least, but getting them there would seem to be quite hard)

One word: Kegetyism. Potential converts, please sign up with father Toasty at the Kegshrine. I'm starting a new rligon based around Kegetys.

All hail the father (of reflective water, winter islands, and hi-res skies...)!!!

For a high number of years, i thought that Elvis Presley was the King.

Now, i understand my mistake

Kegetys is the King.

It's true, I know, 'cause i did similar thing a year ago. But my version was sucks lagged, perhaps 'cause of my Radeon 9500 Card. And there weren't a time to work with, so the project was closed. It will be great, if Keg can finish it.

2 Kegetys: If you wan', you can write me, maybe my old dlls and other works will help))

Looks nice, but I dont think it will ever be released. Look at the video, its finished, but he didnt release it, so I doubt he will ever release it  sad_o.gif

It's a huge change to OFP so it will require lots of testing to make it use as little resources as possible.

I think he could lower the reflection factor slightly, so as its not so demanding but still gives the effect, plus with things reflecting so much it makes it appear as tho their all minitures or somehting, life size objects wont reflect like that I dont think...

was i the only person with any objection? :P

(still looks great Keg, im just knit pickin)

smile_o.gif

hmm, people.. kegetys is just a kid like me or like 90 % of this community, male, around 20 and without girlfriend..

what make kegetys special in this community is that he is more then a averge freak, but you people that says he is "king" and such.. hmm, well for me i already have a king and he was born king even if he is silly and not so smart as kegetys (swedish king)

about this thing i say the hisky was a bigger thing then this water, simpel because if you take screenshots with old sky, and with some new sky it feels so fresh, the worlds looks more real.. the water does not affect so much since 99% of everything is based in forest were you don't see the water

still very good work, and it very impressive to get this thing ingame, working, great skills you can say but for me the gameplay value seems lower then technology breakthru, if you can say like that.

Good points about the combat not always being around water... but it still would add so much to the game, just visually.

Quote[/b] ] trilinear filtering, it can remove the "black & white" night pixelshader, adjust the mipmap LODbias, display FPS, and apply "postprocessing" pixelshader effects.

The only thing I understood in there was "display FPS" biggrin_o.gif

Anyone care to maybe explain the others?

hmm, people.. kegetys is just a kid like me or like 90 % of this community, male, around 20 and without girlfriend..

what make kegetys special in this community is that he is more then a averge freak, but you people that says he is "king" and such.. hmm, well for me i already have a king and he was born king even if he is silly and not so smart as kegetys (swedish king)

about this thing i say the hisky was a bigger thing then this water, simpel because if you take screenshots with old sky, and with some new sky it feels so fresh, the worlds looks more real.. the water does not affect so much since 99% of everything is based in forest were you don't see the water

still very good work, and it very impressive to get this thing ingame, working, great skills you can say but for me the gameplay value seems lower then technology breakthru, if you can say like that.

A sky pack is nothing special.. It's just new textures. Anyone can make that.

You are right, calling him a king is an insult as that would mean that he actually had something in common with the king of sweden crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

@ June 05 2004,02:27)]Llauma, btw your new sky version is very impressive. Thank you for your work)

It's actually Kegetys who should get the credits for the moving clouds which are perfect.. Infact I just added a few pixels.

Well the reflective land, vehicles and objects without reflective sky it drops OFP FPS a little bit down right.

The reflective land, vehicles and objects with the reflective sky shall that drop fps more than without reflective sky rock.gif

If yes than reflective sky is not so important well atleast not for me.

Than make 2 versions if it is going to be released 1 with sky 1 without sky so people can choose wink_o.gif

I wonder? would this open up a new way of being able to reflect objects on to vehicles (planes) wow_o.gif

Silver Stalions

Im sure a plane with a reflective aluminum skin would look darn good....... even if we did only get 1fps ghostface.gif

Could this idea work to include different types of water, like tropical water, stormy water, etc.?

no i dont think it would because the textures for water are already predefined, thats proberly why we cant have different sets of textures for different islands

Wow! Is that game in pictures OFP? *dies* wow_o.gif

no i dont think it would because the textures for water are already predefined, thats proberly why we cant have different sets of textures for different islands

Good point, but we could change the island textures. I guess we need to know how the color is determined, whether their system sets a color, or uses something like textures.

Good point, but we could change the island textures.  I guess we need to know how the color is determined, whether their system sets a color, or uses something like textures.

For what? The water? It uses seven different textures it loops..

If you are talking about something else the answer is propably still textures