Sign in to follow this  
pogingwapo

Ofp limitations

Limitation that id like to see got over:

Thermal vision. smile_o.gif

Hmm but i bet placebo would have said reflective water would have never existed.

Ok heres the logic behind me asking, this is based on wallhacks, like the water. Well, im no expert, but arent there wallhacks for other games which make you able to see people thru walls and make them show up in bright colour ect, so you can cheat and see where everyone is? smile_o.gif

If a similar thing could be done here, with player characters showing up as orange/red blobs or suchlike, we would have a rudimentary form of Thermal vision.

Now as i said, i know sod all about wallhacks, but maybe if feer or kegs reads this....... wink_o.gif

Ok heres the logic behind me asking, this is based on wallhacks, like the water.

"The water" isn't "based" on wallhacks in any way.

Quote[/b] ]Hmm but i bet placebo would have said reflective water would have never existed

he also said that VBS1 will never hit store shelves tounge_o.gif

Yeah, we all know that AI isnt perfect. tounge_o.gif

Oh well there goes the common theory on how you did it... sad_o.gif

So is thermal imaging impossible?

So is thermal imaging impossible?

No, as I said in the reflective water thread, everything would be possible, its just a matter of how difficult it would be to implement. And decent thermal imaging would propably be difficult enough not to be worth the trouble.

Ok heres the logic behind me asking, this is based on wallhacks, like the water. Well, im no expert, but arent there wallhacks for other games which make you able to see people thru walls and make them show up in bright colour ect, so you can cheat and see where everyone is? smile_o.gif

so many pussies out there... i mean whats the point in playing, ruining everyone elses fun?

anyways that not directed at u, unless u cheat. crazy_o.gif

Is it also possible to make the driver of, let's say the Patria personnel carrier to open his hatch and stand when in at ease mode, like that with BMPs and Tanks?

Quote[/b] ]Scrub Posted on June 05 2004,18:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You could WRPedit a map with a known depression. Then using the same process as with a large model (the aircraft carriers I've seen), piece together a large vehicle model that was actually tunnels.  I suppose you could make all the proper cave/installation interiors, as it is a vehicle anyway, and place it in the depression, make the top of the model like the local terrain, and make the model a little larger around the sides, as to fill any rounded edges of the actual depression geometry.

EDIT: The possibility of using elevators and 'cave-esque' geometry is limited only by the maximum slope a unit may climb

Just an Idea.

This is the exact method I had thought of. Using depressions, you can already make trenches and such on your map, but to make tunnels etc, you just make that section an added object, sort of like a plug. Visualize the tunnels, caves, etc and then imagine "cutting" that entire section out of the map like a slice of cake. In the actual map, that area would be an empty box-shaped cutout. The added object is then made the same as a house is, but instead of being boxed, the "rooms" would be the tunnels or what ever. Then that "house" would be placed in the map and made as a permanent item, same as all other map structures. It would require a bit of test-fitting to make sure it looks natural and smooth. I am not sure about clipping through it, such as what happens at times through house walls or falling through the bridges at times, but it should be ok this way.

Through using this technique, it should be possible to make any kind of underground or similar area. I never knew about those areas on Tonal, I'll surely have to look for them. Have many people yet used this technique? Would make a lot of maps more interesting for certain uses.

Yep, it's a great idea!  Kaliyuga has been in the process of making that happen for another release of his Island, Kalighat.   smile_o.gif

Keep an eye out because we thought of some other things that may be possible that haven't been done yet, just still need to try it out and test it.   wink_o.gif

Oh yeah and we were told making a submarine would be impossible, and there are some limitations to it, but I can definately state that we overcame some limitations for it.  (having a working sub with animated submersion capabilities, getting the fire geometry to work decently with this animation, getting around the fact that you can't have the player underwater but we had to simulate just that for the cargo and pilot views and still make the periscope view work as well as possible, among other things.  smile_o.gif )

This "game" (battlefield simulation) and community is amazing, there have been so many "limitations" overcome that it would be impossible for me to list them all.  

So, I'll just say thanks to all the addon makers, mission designers, scripters, tutorial writers and everyone else that participates in pushing the limits of OFP!  biggrin_o.gif

Asmo

P.S. The "clipping" through walls is easily solved with very thick walls and geo's. It's just that you have to make the design of the object work in concert with these thick walls, which can be a problem sometimes. wink_o.gif

Ok all your OFP gurus and genius addon makers, here's a question for you.

Is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE to add a laser designator to a ground vehicle?

I'm told it's not possible except with helicopters and man-portable weapons. But I've seen so many other "limitations" broken, maybe someone can figure this one out?

I wonna se that to!. All modern tanks have laser!

Quote[/b] ]maxm Posted on June 18 2004,08:22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonna se that to!. All modern tanks have laser!

Well, I actually wasn't talking about the ballistic computer's laser rangefinder, I was talking about placing a laser designator as used on the OH-58.

I'd like to know if it will be possible some time to build a BFIST or other armored scout platform capable of spotting artillery and bombs.

BIS has limited certain sorts of weapons simulations to certain vehicle simulations. The laser designator weapons can only be used by vehicle simulations Man and Helicopter. The only way I see to make LDs work on a track or car is to make a Man or Helo simulation behave like a ground vehicle.

Asmodeus: I've got my eye out for Kalighat. Excited to see tunnels done right! blues.gif

i apologise to the moderators for dredging up this topic just over 6 months old, but i didnt wanna start a new one on it. Just to remind folks how far the community has gone in just these short 6 months.

Would love to hear of any other limitations and should any addonmaker or scripter or mod team who has some time on their hands, perhaps we can share knowledge to open up ofp further, like ECP, pappy, MVE mod has done. Should there be no further posts, lol! then i guess we all can take a break and enjoy ofp1 before ofp2 comes out. tounge_o.gif

Should there be no further posts, lol! then i guess we all can take a break and enjoy ofp1 before ofp2 comes out. tounge_o.gif

would become a damn boring year, if not more, wouldn't it

but i think we can see the train addon by AEF as a broken engine limitation

OFP Revolutioneries/Pathfinders

------------------------------

People/team who does things others said impossible, never thought of, or took the effort to do it, things which made ofp1 better.

New Chinese Release, VME - a trememdous leap in AI

Col Klinks PTboat              - multiple gunners

Bn880's Tracers V1.0         - better tracers

New AH-64D Pack              - improvement over the current version

Mapfact nogova                 - lighting and scenery

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta - an overall  battle class

FlameThrower                      - never seen 1 in the 4 yrs here before

Key Script                           - empowerment in yer fingertips

Llaumax sky pack v1.2          - more realistic skies

TomiD                                - vbs quality planes

MAAM: Mutually Accepted Ammo & Magazines addon - finally a sytem that made sense and ease

FlashFX                             - effects

Ox Cart                              - something new

TcM Crap Sky 1.0                - something that brought a smile

mobile lights                        - moving lightsource

Operation Farmland Mod        - finally some animals in ofp

Wilco's Animations Pack         - thank heavens no more BIS old anims

..and NEVER EVER forget the scripters and config writers - without them, i guess addons will only be eyecandy, and without addons, script lies in repositories touched only by few. But when combined, it has a potential to reach many and expand the mind and universe of ofp. The list of scripters with the revolutionary concepts:-

Too many to list!!!!! ofpec.com is a great repository of great scripts besides the groups here.

THese are only just some hardworking individuals' improvements made   ...and within the last 6 months...plenty more unmentioned yet....placebo might kick me outta here if i go on and on! wow_o.gif.......

*PS..i aint no judge..only the community is best qualified to judge. i only list them.

I am going to shoot you phil if you dont add ECP to that list biggrin_o.gif

rock.gif ECP is not released yet.

Quote[/b] ]New AH-64D Pack - improvement over the current version

rock.gif There's alot of replacement type addons just like that AH-64D pack but I don't see how they are revolutionary?

Some of the things you put in that list aren't very revolutionary you know.

you forgot the train addon (by AEF if I'm right) or is that not a limitation?

already released "old" ECP was revolutionary enough for me ...

i can't wait for transparent water (by deep it change transparency level) ... i saw is mentioned on forums ... hopefully that one get released soon ...