Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

North devon terrain

Hey CBFASI hows it going?

Going quite well SFG, been a v v long time no see..

As you can see from above things are still progressing..

Small update..

One of things that has bugged me is the distanct lack of woods suitable for UK Decidiuos woodland and also my inablity to do things natural..

So..

With a little hunting I found some woods that came close, but lacked undergrowth..

I also found some grass that looked good too.

Niether was suitable in original form but need a little work and texture alteration (this last still happening, hunting for more suitable trunk textures and also adapting the grass a bit).

The orginal stuff has come from the following pbo's

env_obj.pbo (SAF?)

nam_ricegrass (DAK)

Anyway heres the pics..

OFP1245.jpg

OFP1246.jpg

The FPS is right with my system set at 3k vis and reflections still on, not too bad a frame rate hit.

Looks super , but the grass seems a 'taddddd' bit large compared to soldier doesnt it? Or maybe thats how it is in RL.

WOOWW your addon has progressed ALLOT!

I have some suggestions after reading the whole thing...

Like are you making a radar control room? And will it have the working radar dish like mapfacts airport addon? Also from them they have a setup for Mapfact nogova's Krasnova island which has a AI landing ILS for the 90/270 runway!!!

Also are you going to make a nice shelter area in the woods? nicely camoflagued?  Ive been to much newer airbases in England and Scotland. Ive been to RAF Lossiemouth, RAF Kinloss and in Germany very near to where i live Ex RAF Laarbruch and a bit more to the south RAF bruggen. Ive had base visits on these airbases and we have seen things from the standard heli platform to the shelter areas, to the radar control room. Again everything was much newer cuz they were still operational. Allot of camoflage everywhere also lots of trees and such so from the air its even harder to spot certain areas..

Offcourse half underground bunkers for weapon storage? Or maybee these sort of shelters?

http://groups.msn.com/RAFLaar....oID=175

Also maybee you could use the RSKL aircraft shelters? or arent you making new stuff?? Because the main runway and the taxiways look really sexy, too bad we dont have a nice GR-7 harrier sad_o.gif  Ahh well some more power with the Tornado Gr-1 then.

Your runway also looks the same! I got a piece of this at home, and I stood in the middle on the end there!

Really like the work man keep it up!

check this page for buildings?

http://groups.msn.com/RAFLaarbruch/laarbruchnowsomenewsomeold.msnw

and this for shelters maybee???

http://groups.msn.com/RAFLaarbruch/theoldhomenow.msnw

good luck with the whole thing its looking mighty elite allready!!! cannot wait

All the buildings on the RAF base will be new builds.

As for camoflage areas in the woods, there are unfortunately no woods of that nature near the airbase and apart from a few 'wartime styled' modifications the location will be relatively close to as it was in the late 80's / early 90's.

I happen to have a rather large collection of books with details and pictures on many buildings in use on RAF bases and also books about RAF Chivenor itself.

As for the radar stuff, I am currently unsure how far I will go.

The 'wartime' upgrades will be varied but will relate to what might be put in the region if the front line moved near.

Relieved to hear that CBFASI's sticking with the realistic depiction of H in D, but many thanks to manhunter09 for the link to that MSN group site. Laar-parts was my home from 1994-97, when we pulled out back to Odiham. Like many of the contributors to that site, we've been back on holiday (stayed in the Heijderbos(sp?) Center Parcs just over the border) to show our son where he took his first steps etc. My gratitude to you both; I'm getting the chance to relive many of the good parts of my life from the comfort of my computer chair!

The terrain will be such that if you went out and brought a map it would help you greatly move around the OFP map, I am using a 1:25,000 mpa to do most the work, this map even marks most of the hedges, although the hardest part is finding out which of the estates are post 90 (saves a lot of work).

Also Yelland Power Station will be built for anyone who is old enough to remember it (it makes a great building to avoid when in the air)

Relieved to hear that CBFASI's sticking with the realistic depiction of H in D, but many thanks to manhunter09 for the link to that MSN group site.  Laar-parts was my home from 1994-97, when we pulled out back to Odiham.  Like many of the contributors to that site, we've been back on holiday (stayed in the Heijderbos(sp?) Center Parcs just over the border) to show our son where he took his first steps etc.  My gratitude to you both; I'm getting the chance to relive many of the good parts of my life from the comfort of my computer chair!

I've been aircraft spotting many times to Laarbruch ETUL if im not mistaken..

Odiham so you were with the 18th? chopsor sqn? as I mentioned I had 2 base visits over there and have been there on the celebration day. Ive been arround the 18th area the most since a year ago there was a large rave on Niederrhein airport now. It was mainly arround the 18th areas also in large hangar and the shelters!  wow_o.gif

http://events.q-dance.nl/2004-09_18-september_q-base   wow_o.gif

maybee not your personal style and the map isnt really correct but aye it was a really nice party in a even better area! Only the weather was shit. mad_o.gif

Annyway yes Center parcs ahah Ive been there some times, with ticket and without! wow_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

edit

excuse meh for interupting thread! wink_o.gif

A few pictures showing this weekeends work, extra in picture are PUKF's infantry and the DKM UK pack.

Also thanks to who ever did the original bunker that I modifed to suit old bunkers  (you will get full credit when I find out which addon I got it from).

Anyway here the images..  This area of the map is now complete I think..

On the way to the 'shoot'

OFP1261.jpg

View of the old bunker, sand and greenery has engressed into the bunker from the time its been sitting idle, never subjectted to live fire, just elements.

OFP1263.jpg

OFP1264.jpg

OFP1266.jpg

Looking good blues.gif

Would that bunker be one of the ones from Fortress-OFP.com?

They are the first ones who spring to mind for bunkers.

I think the Bunker came with Pegasus Bridge as is quite recent.

As such this map wont be publicly released unless permission is obtained from those who have provided basic material such as that bunker. And at the moment more pressing projects are at hand so I am in no rush.

A recent camping trip taken on edge of Dartmoor near Oakhampton,  for terrain colours.

http://img41.echo.cx/img41/842/dartmoor7lh.jpg

Terrain colours arnt a problem as I have a relative who is still living in Fremington and this means I get to go up to the 'real' terrain frequently.

I hope to borrow a friends digi cam to get some pictures just to show how the real terrain actauly looks, in many ways I am quite impressed but I am also concerned about the sheer volume of work yet to do.

For those wondering what 'Yelland Power Station' is about... I just got the plans and its BIG, like bigger than my Falkland ships and the towers are at around 260ft(80m) in the air..

That little series of pics and the 'empty space' of 800ft gave em a rough guess dimension for the main boiler hall at 600ftx100ftx80ft. actauls from plan are 625ft long and 100ft wide, hiehgt will be left as its relationaly, those two towers are the 260ft ones and wil make a mess of any plane nearby. The intention is also to do the large national grid pylons too...

This location has already been under seige several times (just me playing with early temporary building) and is going to make for another nice feature of the map.

The power station was coal fired and was demolished in the 80's so its nice to do a dated map as the alternative is a big area of wasteland (which isnt as much fun)

The railway line is already on map, but like in the 80's it had already been decomissioned so is effectively a nice long dirt track with gentle curves

A couple of pics showing the early model of the power station at Yelland, this is the model done pre plans, and is based on the pictures as mentioned before.

OFP1280.jpg

OFP1281.jpg

A couple of images of the 'undergrowth' at the east of Fremington Army Camp, and yes that assault course works!..

OFP1279.jpg

OFP1282.jpg

Really really looking forward to this. As a Brit i cant wait to get fighting on British based terrain. Will probably use that base as RAAB HQ as well, especially with that awesome assault course wow_o.gif