Sign in to follow this  
Peter_13

Vdv pack v2.0 by orcs

Just wanted to say that the units look great - very good update of my favourite pack. But I would like to nicely ask the authors to think more about balance of (otherwise splendid) units. I have became fan of this addon since the first release, but I always realized the addon is too strong compared to any other units in OFP.

I think that overpowering drags this units too down, and Laser and Denorc should at least think of the "vox populi". I understand that there are some reasons for making VDV troops "Russian Rambos", but I would suggest authors to rather develop their own mod, in which they could labor with attack ranges and realism of firefights for ALL units. Until it is finished, I would like to enjoy visual aspect of these units with common skills.

Somebody suggested to get rid of this by using custom config, but this does not seem to be solution. I guess this would lead to thousands versions, each with different config. Lets leave this to authors, who should consider if anybody would ever use their addon with such configuration in his missions...

Somebody suggested to get rid of this by using custom config, but this does not seem to be solution. I guess this would lead to thousands versions, each with different config. Lets leave this to authors, who should consider if anybody would ever use their addon with such configuration in his missions...

All that's needed is a way to be able to add another PBO file that will cause the addon's weapons to be JAM complient.

That way you can choose to use the author's original settings or the JAM overrides.

Someone did this for some other unit addon. I can't recall who it was and what was the addon. The point is, it's possible to at least make it easier for others to implement JAM as an option.

Is that correct? rock.gif

I also like it very much, although I will keep using Suchey's soldiers as their camo pattern fits perfectly into OFP islands.

It is harder to spot them, which makes game more difficult.

All that's needed is a way to be able to add another PBO file that will cause the addon's weapons to be JAM complient.

That way you can choose to use the author's original settings or the JAM overrides.

Someone did this for some other unit addon. I can't recall who it was and what was the addon. The point is, it's possible to at least make it easier for others to implement JAM as an option.

Is that correct? rock.gif

This would be Laser's GRU Spetznats addon. Updated to JAM just by adding an extra pbo to the pack.

So its been done before.

@CERO

Really nice addon!,only one thing about the granate launcher model

ORCS model

Weapons.jpg

S&E model (that should be the standard)

Weapons2.jpg

If you wanna me to get earls' GP25 model from his pack, i can do it) But i prefer to use our guns. Also about USA fans... Perhaps, those "great" troops cleaned Iraq from "bad-trained unorganized terrorists" in one week? No. Russian Regular troops also weren't success in Chechen War, but Special Forces & VDV were involved, and now situation there is under conrol...

Anyway, that's a very flaming topic - USA vs. RF. I must admit, that no one protests agains our Ranger troops weaponpack stats...)))) They are the same as icp_rfwp

We have barely been in Iraq a year. AFAIK it a took a little longer than that to solve the Chechyn conflict. I just thought I would respond to that. At the same time I gotta ask though, what does that have to do with the engagement ranges of your addon troops? Every one is just asking to balance them a little.

Quote[/b] ]I must admit, that no one protests agains our Ranger troops weaponpack stats...)))) They are the same as icp_rfwp

Personally I haven't tried those units (I'm sure they are very good though) maybe they should be tweaked to?

Overall I think people are just saying they like this addon I mean after all the units look great. They would just like to use them in missions with other units also and have it balanced.

Also why the animosity towards USA players? I don't see the nationalistic side of this that you seem to hint at. All I've heard is praise for your addon, and a little feedback saying the engagement ranges could use a little touch up.

Please people lets keep this civil though. No flames just rational discussion please.

(When I say People I mean every one, I'm not directing that statement at anyone individualy)

I am not very good in English to discuss such topics as "oh those russians, why they do not join usa now, we will put them into reservations, and will give them a vodka, an ushanka-hats and "portyanka" socks as humanitary assistance"

)))) LOL.

So in a next version stats for AI will be weaked. Btw, it will be soon enough. Also new SVD model, ZIL-131s...

131-zil.jpg

zil-131.jpg

Your units are excellent Denorc. Personally, i have tried your units and put them against a 4 man squad of delta's including myself, the fight was not unfair. Also 11 men vs one of sigma's m1 abrams did not end in the abrams losing...it was damaged but the abrams cleaned house. So i dont know where these "biased" issues are coming from because i am certainly not seeing them, in fact these guys tend to act and react in a very human way.

Denorc, I dont understand how or why you make statements like this:

Quote[/b] ]I am not very good in English to discuss such topics as "oh those russians, why they do not join usa now, we will put them into reservations, and will give them a vodka, an ushanka-hats and "portyanka" socks as humanitary assistance"

I dont remember anyone mentioning the quote above in this thread at all. Really, your english is not all that bad but what the heck do your Cold War era sentiments have to do with your addon or anyone here? The impression I get from some of your posts is that the rest of the world with the exception of you and G.W Bush, have joined the post cold war era. There is no need for your flame bait here.

Yeah i was thinking maybe the vodka is an issue. It wouldnt be the first time i've seen someone posting while under the influence. biggrin_o.gif

Well it saddens me that he feels that way. He seems to be very bitter at America.

Personally I haven't met any American that feels that way about russia denorc. By and large I think most Americans are too ignorant about Russia to even form an opinon about Russia one way or the other.

Any how lets all try to get off this sad subject before the thread gets closed. I hate having the last word though, so any one who has something to say, well say it. Let's just try not to get too off topic though.

I love the Ushanka and have one of my own (complete with military insignia). As I am fast losing my hair, these hats are great for keeping your head warm LOL

About this America/Russia topic, let us remember that the so-called cold war is over and now is the time for cooperation and putting petty differences aside. I have met both Russian and American people (even together) and have never heard a bad word said between them.

Nobody gets rated higher than anybody else in my books, everyone is equal so lets put an end to this particular topic.

PH

Ushanka!biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Wonderfull biggrin_o.gif Desatnik any news about this Russian Voices pack? Any progress about changing Red Hammer Russian voices for resistance?

Well the range problem doesn't bother me too much unless I'm on the receiving end of these Russian weapons. However these guys I don't pit against the US units but prefer to make missions where you play as a Russian paratrooper and fight insurgents or guerillas.

However with that said it wouldn't hurt to reduce the engagement range just to bring the units more into balance with other addons.

Also the RPG-16 definitely needs to have its firepower toned down a bit. Yes I know, the tandem-warhead rounds can penetrate certain areas of the M1A2 however we are talking OFP here, and the dammage engine in OFP is not realistic so there needs to be a little more balance rather then having "super weapons" that will wipe out all of the heaviest tank addons with one hit.

As for the whole anti-US thing. Where did that come from? I can't remember ever seeing Americans here on this forum talking trash about the Russian units.

That is just immature and that kind of talk doesn't belong here unless you want the topic closed. If anywhere, that belongs on the off-topic section of the forum not here.

I am American but I really like these units and would just like to see them better balanced with other infantry and armor addons.

If not then mission makers may just choose to use someone else's Russian special ops units instead of these.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Well the range problem doesn't bother me too much unless I'm on the receiving end of these Russian weapons.  However these guys I don't pit against the US units but prefer to make missions where you play as a Russian paratrooper and fight insurgents or guerillas.  

However with that said it wouldn't hurt to reduce the engagement range just to bring the units more into balance with other addons.

Also the RPG-16 definitely needs to have its firepower toned down a bit.  Yes I know, the tandem-warhead rounds can penetrate certain areas of the M1A2 however we are talking OFP here, and the dammage engine in OFP is not realistic so there needs to be a little more balance rather then having "super weapons" that will wipe out all of the heaviest tank addons with one hit.

Range of defeat we shall not change. For paratroopers is exact.

About PRG-16. "Super weapon"?  smile_o.gif  More realistic tanks are necessary not only realistic RPG, but also.

PRG-16 is old system. Today RPG-16 "Grom" it is a little used (it is very-very few used, as it is replaced with newer systems). But grenades to it are used new. The new grenades is based on PG-7VR (RPG-7V1 grenade). Guaranteed penetration - not less than 600mm. The similar munition is used in RPG-29 "Vampir" (650mm penetr.)

Characteristics RPG will be balanced in process of addition of new models and analysis of tanks.

Why is everyone getting so upset about higher accuracy values?

BAS did the same, and it didn't cause such a ruckus as this.

Double standards anyone? rock.gif

It's a different issue. The thing people are talking about with these is not accuracy, but the range at which the units will engage an enemy. These units will apparently engage at around 1000m, which is further than some of us have our view distance even.

IIRC BAS units fire accurately, but engage at ranges closer to the standard OFP soldiers.

So there was some kind of "likbez" about russian stuff. Maybe we need to make a "russian topic" there) Where all of our foreign friends can learn a little bit more about russia, than ushanka, portyanka & vodka)))