Sign in to follow this  
AngusHeaf

Wargames addpak 4.0 released

The description.ext file is in fact in the pack. It is under the User/default directory. Check the mission which has this ext file in it.

My question is are there any special instructions for fusing airburst mortar rounds. I looked through the FAQ and it looks the same as in wgl 3.0.

Calm_terror you should play with it longer than 5 minutes. When I first got the WGL pack I thought the same thing because nothing seemed to work. Then I actually sat down and went through it. Now it is one of the few addons I use. The mortar/MG system works great, the pack is consistent throughout the all the pieces. The only problem I had was flying the vehicle mounted Russian ATGM. Supposedly this is fixed in 4.0 right guys? tounge_o.gif

If you want pretty explosions, just tack on that new effects pack from flashpoint.ru.

Okay, thanks. Found it. Perhaps mention that in a re-do of the read-me....

I like the UA motars better not some huge hoops to jump through just to get an ai to set up and fire the motars.

and i hardly use the effects since all it does is slow everything down.

I am someone who likes ot use brigade on division type war fare 100's of units on the battle field and those effects just lag the crap out of it. i wish there was an easier way to disable the effects in prepacked add-ons.

I am to much in a hurry to just set up simple missions.

The AT-4s on the BMP1 and BMP2 have both been fixed and fly nicely. It was one of the final tweaks to the pack that made it take a few extra days to be released.

The DIGMORTAR error is because you have not followed the instructions and setup the mortar scripts correctly in the mission.

Calm_Terror: The effects in our pack are 90% lag free unless you're running a system relying on something like a GeForce2MX. They're considerably less laggy than even the default OFP effects.

Everyone else: It should be mentioned that the pack is not for the impatient and certainly not for everyone. This is intentional and while frustrating, yields far more than OFP can by itself. It's similar to a race car. They're hard to drive, not always the most comfortable, but can be fun as hell if you put your time in. The concepts in this pack ARE very different than anything else in OFP. That is intentional. There are no plans, nor will there be, to make it conform to what people are used to in OFP. There's thousands of addons that all behave in exactly the same boring "been there done that 2 years ago" ways and we do not intend to do that to our MOD. We ask that you only give the pack a bit of play before deciding whether or not it's worth your time. If you aren't into rethinking how you play OFP than I don't think the pack will be right for you.

Oh I forgot to mention that the airbursting AAA is on a 2 second timer. It's not a proximity bursting system, but rather a self-destruct timer.

so do i download addpack 4.0 and the wg gaia 1.0 seeing as this is my first install of WG pack?

ah coolio, oh and seeing as this is aimed more to mp (from what i hear) are there any 1.96 WGL servers out there?

sry to spoil teh fun but the link isnt working for me. sad_o.gif any kind soul out there willing to provide one?

Along with AngusHeaf and Tactician, I am one of the primary developers of WGL <-- just stating my credential.

Regarding Realism - As was mention above - WGL was designed from the bottom up to be something different and special that brought the level of realism in Operation Flashpoint to a new level. While developing, we decided to not try and compromise by making things unnecessarily easy for the player. If you want to set up as machine gun, it will take time. You need enough men to carry it, along with its ammunition. Then you need to assemble it properly and load it. Then check timing (simluated by slight pause) and THEN will you get to fire. Of course, then you will need to constantly reload depending on your rate of fire. Like many aspects of the MOD, we choose to make it mimic real life as close as possible without loosing playabililty. Compared to real life, even our most difficult operations are VERY simplified and fast.

Regarding errors - Please accept our apologies. When working on a project this large with so few people, there will be some errors that slip through. It is nearly impossible to catch everything. We appreciate your feedback and look at every response carefully to try and replicate it and then fix it. Our goal is your enjoyment, and we will work continuously to fix any errors you encounter.

Technical Aspects of WGL - We will be releasing a Technical Manual in the near future that should cover ANY question you have concerning the MOD. As you can imagine, writing that document is ... laborious. We are working on it whenever we have any time. With hundreds of variables, it will take a while to get right and "test" - as soon as that is complete, you will have it.

Enojoyment - As has been said above - WGL is different that what you are used to. It is now more a military simulator than a game. Do not expect to jump right in and go full speed. Think of it as the difference between Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 and Falcon 4.0 SP4. One is a game, the other a simulator. OFP is a game, WGL is a simulator. If you are interested in playing it as a simulator and not so much as a game, then the MOD was designed for you. If, however, you are expecting something with flashing lights, bells and whistles, and an extremely easy interface, then you will probably not enjoy the MOD. The shift is from

"Bang-Bang, You're Dead. Ha Ha Ha - I pWNd YoU!"

to

"Alpha 6 Mike, Bravo 3 Lima, contact. Infantry squad in the open. Range 1800 meters, direction 265, over."

It does take a different mindset and a different style of play. We welcome you to explore how the real military conducts combat operations. If it is not your cup of tea, return to your game and carry on.

*claps* Well said Phaeden. I really like this mod, though I do wonder about the 5.56's ballistics on this, other wise your right on the money. Good job.

Hi guys

My first report on the new mod and found a couple of things.

1. The AI guys cant hit the broad side of a barn with an rpg. Had a man not 20 feet from a passing bradley and he fired high. All rockets are going high right now.

2. ATGM on the bmp2 is still pretty squirrely. The bmd3 is much more managable.

Question - How high above ground should the hepf mortar rounds explode. They seem to explode on contact with the ground. Is there a way to fuse them?

Thats it for now. Keep up the great work.

Along with AngusHeaf and Tactician, I am one of the primary developers of WGL <-- just stating my credential.

Regarding Realism - As was mention above - WGL was designed from the bottom up to be something different and special that brought the level of realism in Operation Flashpoint to a new level.  While developing, we decided to not try and compromise by making things unnecessarily easy for the player.  If you want to set up as machine gun, it will take time.  You need enough men to carry it, along with its ammunition.  Then you need to assemble it properly and load it.  Then check timing (simluated by slight pause) and THEN will you get to fire.  Of course, then you will need to constantly reload depending on your rate of fire.  Like many aspects of the MOD, we choose to make it mimic real life as close as possible without loosing playabililty. Compared to real life, even our most difficult operations are VERY simplified and fast.

Regarding errors - Please accept our apologies.  When working on a project this large with so few people, there will be some errors that slip through.  It is nearly impossible to catch everything.  We appreciate your feedback and look at every response carefully to try and replicate it and then fix it.  Our goal is your enjoyment, and we will work continuously to fix any errors you encounter.

Technical Aspects of WGL - We will be releasing a Technical Manual in the near future that should cover ANY question you have concerning the MOD.  As you can imagine, writing that document is ... laborious.  We are working on it whenever we have any time.  With hundreds of variables, it will take a while to get right and "test" - as soon as that is complete, you will have it.

Enojoyment - As has been said above - WGL is different that what you are used to.  It is now more a military simulator than a game.  Do not expect to jump right in and go full speed.  Think of it as the difference between Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 and Falcon 4.0 SP4.  One is a game, the other a simulator.  OFP is a game, WGL is a simulator.  If you are interested in playing it as a simulator and not so much as a game, then the MOD was designed for you.  If, however, you are expecting something with flashing lights, bells and whistles, and an extremely easy interface, then you will probably not enjoy the MOD.  The shift is from

"Bang-Bang, You're Dead.  Ha Ha Ha - I pWNd YoU!"

to

"Alpha 6 Mike, Bravo 3 Lima, contact. Infantry squad in the open.  Range 1800 meters, direction 265, over."

It does take a different mindset and a different style of play.  We welcome you to explore how the real military conducts combat operations.  If it is not your cup of tea, return to your game and carry on.

Bingo!!!

Totally agree. That's what OFP make me crazy. Your work make it better...

and C_T, as the guy who did the command and control systems for both UA and the WGL mortars, I'll tell you they _ARE_ geared towards different groups and purposes. So no problem in preferring one over the other; we forgive you.

The HEPF mortars do indeed explode in mid air about 5-10 meters up. Strangely, in OFP when they explode above the ground, even though they are farely weak (only doing something on the order of 150 hit damage) they tend to leave a huge crater burned spot on the ground. Technically they didn't explode on the ground but apparently it does enough damage to create the crater.

Just before release I put some debugging code into the scripts for the PF mortars to verify that they were bursting over the ground. Sure enough the numbers that were coming back were all greater than 5m up. I'm interested in removing or at least editting the crater in a future release since the crater under the PF bugs me too. Plus the standard crater is just pretty ugly and basic.

I'm writing this message with OFP running in the background. Seems the AT4 does indeed wobble up and down a bit but it generally pretty accurate. In a future (very small) patch I think I'll turn down the manueverability just a tad to see if I can smooth it out a bit more. Strangely it also seems affected by the missile used. Some are more stable than others and the AT4 model used tends to wobble a tad. Will look into that.

A debate about the bullet damages can literally be debated ad nausium. People debate that sort of thing to no end on real life weapon forums. I'll just let it stand that a lot of my real world contacts in the military swear I've gotten it very right. If you have some comments to add, feel free.

I'm writing this message with OFP running in the background. Seems the AT4 does indeed wobble up and down a bit but it generally pretty accurate. In a future (very small) patch I think I'll turn down the manueverability just a tad to see if I can smooth it out a bit more. Strangely it also seems affected by the missile used. Some are more stable than others and the AT4 model used tends to wobble a tad. Will look into that.

It's been a while since I've played with the confings for ATGMs, but my limited knowledge of physics leads me to believe that they are missing the wheight in there.  Could they be using the weight variable from Oxygen for that particular model?

Also, I was trying to hint in my original post that the BMP-2 is most likely to be equipped with AT-5, just like the BMD-3 (they pretty much share the same turret).  Although I am aware of a fact that AT-4 and AT-5 are interchangeable...

Dre: I'll check out the mass of the missiles being fired. It seems the default TOW model flies the nicest and it is the current model being used for the missiles coming from BMP3 and BMD3. The AT3 model seems squirrely at slightly higher manueverability and I'm curious why. Either way, I'll poke around.

WarGames, in the current iteration, is designed to replicate the gear used from 1985-1992ish. The documents I found from the DOD have the BMP2 listed as most likely to have AT4. But I am aware that pretty much all the turrets are interchangable and upgradable to a large extent. Let me know if you can point out some better sources of info for the most common battlefield loadout of the vehicle. If it doesn't match what I have I can always change it or add another.

EDIT: I just referenced the document again and they actually list the typical combat load as either AT5, 5B, 4, or 4B. They don't in fact pick one as more likely than the other. So I guess maybe it comes down to balance. I could whip up an AT5 (non B model) that keeps the BMP2 as a gimpy IFV. I'll do some more research either way.

EDIT2: Damn fine print!! And I quote, "ATGM load consists of one ready on the launcher and four stowed. They are readily accessible, but require hand loading from an open hatch. The AT-5 and AT-5B are more likely than AT-4 and -4B."

I was finally able to try this out tonight and man, I am impressed.  I was playing on the Citadel (ip 69.56.169.34) and we loaded up a small ctf across a large field.  Perhaps it was partly the people playing, but the game was incredibly atmospheric.  I was an antiarmor guy and while I was trying to move up my teamates were laying down covering fire with the heavy mg's and firing out a smoke screen with grenades; very cool stuff.  We had some nice fire fights going until I misread the new AT sights and fired high over the incoming armor, which really spoiled the day.   tounge_o.gif  One bug I did notice was that in a later game, my opponent used a smoke grenade, but I didn't see any smoke, only all the buildings on the terrain started dissapearing until eventually all I could see was the sand bag right in front of me and a huge open field with nothing on it.  It's hard to describe but it was definately confusing, plus my opponent got away with the flag...  All in all, great work on this pack, I hope BIS takes a look at this when they are finishing up ofp2; good stuff.

Wright

To those having trouble with missing .p3d errors: try running the game with HW T&L enabled. Dissonant had success with that.

Quote[/b] ]from

"Bang-Bang, You're Dead.  Ha Ha Ha - I pWNd YoU!"

to

"Alpha 6 Mike, Bravo 3 Lima, contact. Infantry squad in the open.  Range 1800 meters, direction 265, over."

damn, thats the way to get me excited!

Ill dl asap (but gotta finish my day at work first, 5 hours of torture)

I've updated the first post in this thread to include two gracious mirrors from OFP.info. Many thanks to the guys over there for hosting some downloads. We really appreciate it!!

Thanks!!