Sign in to follow this  
Peter_13

Us rangers balance pack by orcs

look killagee, it's just that such disrespect as it happened

here will lead high quality addon makers to not to spend

so much time for producing high quality addons for public

release anymore.

Soz that i can't talk about this addon itself, but for some strange reason i won't dload it, so i can't talk about it.

~S~ CD

What's funny is that the readme states that the addon cannot be changed or used in any way without written permission from ORCS... rock.gif So they can take textures without permission, but God forbid that anyone would do the same to them.

But to the addon! Yes, it is a very good addon.

smile_o.gif

Nearly everything is taken from somewhere else and compiled by ORCS, but who cares as the main thing is that it's a good addon.

IMO they fit much better in the jungle and on Tonal than the BAS rangers.

Some things:

An M240B should be used instead of the INQ M60.

The SAW has a kind of weak sound and the model isn't all that great compared to others.

The MK23 (nice weapon!) has a kind of exaggerated click at the end of the reload sound.

Can we talk about this addon please? Look, TS, they didnt ask which is naughty. They can use it anyway, because its PUBLIC, they give you credit, and the only people who have copyright over anything in this game is BIS and Codemasters. As long as you dont make an income off it, then alls fair in love and war. This is why the OFP community has survied so long.

Anybody actually used this addon yet?

It may well be PUBLIC.....but what they have done is lame....very lame and demonstrates a lack of even basic respect for the efforts of others.

If we want to self regulate ourselves in this community and conduct ourselves with honour and respect then we should damn well start exhibiting some of these traits when dealing with each other.

Allowable or not, these people have failed to show the most basic of courtesies....ask before you take.

Can I stop them from using our textures....no.

Am I gonna make a big deal about it....no.

All I'm saying is that these guys conducted themselves without honor. They are simply rebadging addons as their own. BAS or someone's elses addon.....I would presonally forfeit downloading of these units on principle.

Now besides the taking textures without permission thing this addons is a killer on my computer. Maybe due to use of too many textures (sometimes pretty high res) and because it's all compressed. I don't know. But it's lagging my computer.

*deleting*

If we want to self regulate ourselves in this community and conduct ourselves with honour and respect then we should damn well start exhibiting some of these traits when dealing with each other...

All I'm saying is that these guys conducted themselves without honor. They are simply rebadging addons as their own. BAS or someone's elses addon.....I would presonally forfeit downloading of these units on principle.

Well said, i usually steer clear of these topics but i agree with TS. We have lost so many talented people because of various things that happen within the community, lets not condone something that would be really easy to avoid by someone simply asking if they could use the textures.

This is one thing I don't understand why can't they just spend 10 extra minutes and get the persmission of authors which usually say "yes". Instead of doing all this hooah which will take hours if not days to resolve.

The addon being released for free does not nullify ownership of any component work of said addon. Take G-Max for example. I challenge someone to obtain the sourcecode, modify, and re-release as their own (while giving credit to Discreet).. better get a good lawyer.

The textures in non imported form are most certainly the property of the creator. The EULA of the BIS tools would dictate who "owns" the final product (legally at least) as most devs state that any and all work done in those tools becomes their property. smile_o.gif However, would have to get a good context specific lawbook on how that applies to imported components. (And if such an EULA would then apply to components of such work, or only as a whole, finnished product.) Though, if you could find a program to change the textures into .paa format before importing into OFP.... than you could defeat even that argument. tounge_o.gif

As for the argument of BIS using the "Copyright fight" for user made addons, that would be a against their interest. They have 3rd party, unpayed users, modifying their work. If they were doing so without permission, or against BIS's will, or for profit (or any combination) than it could be legally halted. However, if it IS in BIS's interest, they have no reason to halt it. Again, free work being done, to enhance a product, and most certainly has bolstered sales. Win win, free for them, but make more money? (If they had planned on making their own unit addon packs for sale, that would be another story though.)

Well said TS.

Also, it's not about who has the legal rights to this and that, but simple respect and courtesy.

ORCS show double standards if you ever read their readme files for their addon they always seem to write a clause something along the lines of "if you wish to edit this addon in anyway or distribute the edited filesplease contact us" and they don't evan have the greater respect to do the same.

Double standards or what.

ORCS show double standards if you ever read their readme files for their addon they always seem to write a clause something along the lines of "if you wish to edit this addon in anyway or distribute the edited filesplease contact us" and they don't evan have the greater respect to do the same.

Double standards or what.

don't know if this is a newsflash but the world is full of double standards. sad_o.gif

STGN

rock.gif?rock.gif?rock.gif???

Guys, IT IS PC GAME (there isn't war >>> cold or hot), this game is for our pleasure. BIS released Oxygen and Visitor for our pleasure too !!!

.. or do you thing that these computer programs was released only for ... some poeple ?

@ Tigershark_BAS : I didn't see in your README credits for BIS...for OFP, or for Oxygen, or for Visitor... Addons from your team are GREAT, GREAT, GREAT and the whole OFP community wait for next release of your team. I think that if LASER wrote full CREDITS for your team in Readme.. It's O.K. Tigershark, try ideate situation after one two years - "Beginning addonmaker must study all addons from renowned teams and soloists (hundreds, maybe thausands addons)" >>> what if... for example some textures was made in past ....

Marfys' addons are great too (maybe better smile_o.gif, DKM MOD too, Invasion 44 too, M.M.P. studio too. MapFact.Net too, Martin too (I hope that Martin come back), CSLA II team usual too etc ...

BUT many, many poeple try make addons ..and they need learn from others, better addonmakers (it is pleasures, hobby for these addomakers) >>>

There is problem in last months - all addomakers have their addons binarized, config.cpp is binarized too.....

Look on the sites of other games' communities - for example IL-2 (FB) Sturmovik - no hysteria, every wait for new skin, or new model...

Howgh smile_o.gif

There are some "comparing" pictures in-game >>>no comment:

BAS_LSR_01F.jpg

BAS_LSR_02F.jpg

BAS_LSR_03F.jpg

BAS_LSR_04F.jpg

BAS_F.jpgLSR_F.jpg

fighter

blues.gif

In all honesty, after looking at the comparison pics Fighter posted, the resemblance between LSR's and BAS' ranger appears to be purely coincidental. There are more differences than similarities.

That being said, I still don't understand why permission couldn't be asked. rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]photoshop anit hard to make quick alterations like that

Hi friend , tell me please your reply more clearly. My English isn't so good.

tnx

fighter

smile_o.gif

what i mean is that by the looks of it theyve altered the colours and darkened certain bits of the camoflage this can be quickly done using the levels tool in abobe photoshop

what i mean is that by the looks of it theyve altered the colours and darkened certain bits of the camoflage this can be quickly done using the levels tool in abobe photoshop

this could be a good explanation if the patterns used were the same, they're both in woodland camo, that's for sure, but compare the different shapes and patterns.

compare also the pouches, both in their shape and details

agree with ran on this one they look totally different.

@ aj_addons

I recommend you D/L LSR_rangers (you will can LSR_rangers anytime delete). You will try both in-game and you will can both addons unpack. There is here one "quick" example. No comment again:

rukavyF.jpg

Do you think, that it is simple, fast repaint rock.gif

fighter

smile_o.gif

In my opinion, this fuss about permission is a bullshit! They made models, they gave credits. What else you want? i think it is enough. word "stole" does not suit here. "They StoLeN ouy textures"!! lol. this really made me laugh. How could they steal it??? i'll give you example of WTF u talking about: I asked one guy to record his voice for my mission. According to what u talking, i shoud write mail to his parents and ask nicely if i can use his voice in my mission. This is absurdity !!!

You ruined all impression 4 me about this pack. dont want ot d\l it now mad_o.gif

I agree...they are totally different and such accusations are complete BS. That's the kind of crap that makes addon makers want to quit the OFP scene.

They are WAAAY different addons and they look great. Enjoy them and quit making conspiracy theories.

I'm just hoping they make some in desert cammo. smile_o.gif

Actually I'd prefer some 82nd Airborne troops or other infantry units rather then Rangers again.

But still I think they look great.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

In all honesty, after looking at the comparison pics Fighter posted, the resemblance between LSR's and BAS' ranger appears to be purely coincidental. There are more differences than similarities.

That being said, I still don't understand why permission couldn't be asked. rock.gif

Exactly! Thankyou Avon.

All this could have been avoided with a few short sentences in an email.

Exactly! Thankyou Avon.

All this could have been avoided with a few short sentences in an email.

But with that being said, let's stop saying it over and over again. smile_o.gif

Can we just downlaod the addon and shutup? TS, any issues with Denorc should be taken up with PM's or Email. There is no reason to start fighting on a public board, so when he does come around, don't bring it to here please.