Sign in to follow this  
Tigershark_BAS

Bas littlebirds

(..)Not sure what 45 Km/H equates to in those "backward" countries that use that sort of thing, but it's got to be less than 20 knots.  I'll go check my speedometer in my car tomorrow. (...)

What do you mean by saying backward" countries? rock.gifmad_o.gif

For you information 45kph is 24.2 knots, acording to Google calculator.

@Gatordev

Lol...Don't forget that you're a minority, still using imperial measurements wink_o.gif

The rest of the world have seen the light and switched to metric tounge_o.gif

That's because we're imperialists!  

tounge_o.gif

Nah but back to the Little Birds.  

My suggestions:

Please DON'T add an engine start-uip/shut-down sound.  There is one HUGE problem in this and that is if you start off the heli with "this setfuel 0;", the startup sound goes into this loop that slows my computer down to a crawl and gets louder and louder.   I use that script all the time to keep helicopters from flying off to their waypoints.  Unless you can fix that looping problem, I hope that you don't use such sounds on the Little Bird upgrade.  

Personally I'd like to just see new cargo animations, a rapid insertion script, and maybe a rapelling script.   Changing the cargo to 6 would be nice, but I know your military advisors already told you not to do this so I won't get into that arguement again.

As for versions used by other countries, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that the AH-6 or MH-6 is used by any other country outside the United States.  However I do know that the MD-500 Defender is widely used so perhaps an international version with Footmunch's roundel system would be good to use for that.   That way people could use it for many different countries.  Two international MD-500's (one with rockets and TOW, and one with minigun and TOW missiles) would be nice.   Also one in tan desert textures would be nice as well to simulate those used by Middle Eastern countries.   Even Iraq bought 60 of them in 1983 (that's quite a few) although I have no idea if they ever saw combat.

Countries that operate it (or have operated it in the past) include:

Argentina, Bahrain, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, El Salvador, Finland, Honduras, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Mexico, North Korea, Peru, Philippines, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, and the United States.

That is why it would be great to see an international version in which the user can add Footmunch's roundel system and perhaps other custom textures.  

00005368.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Please DON'T add an engine start-uip/shut-down sound.  There is one HUGE problem in this and that is if you start off the heli with "this setfuel 0;", the startup sound goes into this loop that slows my computer down to a crawl and gets louder and louder.   I use that script all the time to keep helicopters from flying off to their waypoints.  Unless you can fix that looping problem, I hope that you don't use such sounds on the Little Bird upgrade.  

Oh, I've never noticed this bug with the LB's but if it is true I totally concur about not including it. I use the same trick all the time!

I also agree with Consigliere about the chopper loudness. Okay, so it could be that loud IRL, don't know about that, but NO other BIS or addon choppers are that loud so it kind of sticks out, plus...it's very, very annoying. sad_o.gif

The international model is a great idea Miles! Personally I would love to see a version of the MD-500 defender/Regular MD-500 with a FN-MAG mounted on it like Nam pack 2's OH-6 birds. But perhaps trough the glass canopy instead.

I have been having these dreams about a mercenary campaign on Tonal ever since you posted that link about the mercenaries working in Sierra Leone.

I also agree with Consigliere about the chopper loudness. Okay, so it could be that loud IRL, don't know about that, but NO other BIS or addon choppers are that loud so it kind of sticks out, plus...it's very, very annoying. sad_o.gif

I like the loudness, its cool cause it has no doors! Other BIS or addon choppers should be louder too. I really like to fly the birds in 1st person view and feel the vibes of those rotors coming out of my sub. *brrrrr....*, small, fast, manueverable and loud, and to those who have trouble on team speak just scream, i guess thats what pilots do all the time, adds to the realism and cool factors biggrin_o.gif .

I agree... the sound doesn't bother me much at all as it should be quite loud if you're flying in it right next to the rotors and engine. If the sound is decreased it should only be a little bit. I've heard the police versions of the MD-500 flying around and they do sound alot like the BAS Little Birds, and only a little bit quieter.

At any rate, yeah an international version could be used as a PMC (Private Military Corporation) helicopter quite nicely as they are cheap to buy and maintain. They would likely not be equipped with TOW's but most definitely with rocket pods and some kind of machine gun or cannon.

But due to US laws regarding weapons sales, I don't think they sell them to non-government agencies (except for American PMC's under contract by the US State Department). Hence the reason why in Africa usually South African and Ukranian based PMC's are using Russian made helicopters as they are also relatively cheap to maintain (the Hind gets high praise for reliability and maintenance ease) and countries that produce or sell them usually aren't too picky about who they sell them to.

But still a PMC should at least be able to get ahold of a civilian version of the MD-500 and then just add a door gun or a simple rocket system to it. There are numerous South African companies that could easily modify a civilian helicopter into a gunship.

But anyhoo... an international version of the MD-500 would probably work fine to simulate a Merc gunship especially if it allowed using the Executive Outcomes "knight chesspiece" symbol on it. If not that then at least the Tonal roundel which I believe Footmunch added to the latest version of his roundel.pbo file on his website. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I think the problem of the "old Littlebirds" is that you can still hear it from very far away and even if you're in 3rd person view the rotor blades are so loud that i have to turn the volume down. And the fast rope option for LB's won't be that good i thing. have you ever seen someone doing a fast rope from a little bird? rock.gif But i think BAS will do the right thing because the other units (Delta/Rangers,Blackhawks etc.) were great too.

(Sry for the bad englisch wink_o.gif )

Quote[/b] ]have you ever seen someone doing a fast rope from a little bird?

Yes.

d'oh! tounge_o.gif Ok but i think landing with a Little Bird and jump off is even faster than stopping, throwing down the ropes, roping down,cutting(don't know another word^^) the ropes

It IS possible to fast rope from the littlebirds IRL, however for game ballence (and to give reasons to use the whole range of helicopters) the littlebirds will NOT have a fastroping feature as standard.

I beleive that's more than fair enough. Besides, with the nimbleness of the littlebirds, a landing insertion would be quicker anyway. Both in game (MP) and IRL.

What about Jinking? The coolest thing about a little bird is its mobility, some more fancy flying if at all possible please smile_o.gif

following up on the littlebirds fast insertion.. maybe you can script the landing to be somewhat like it was on black hawk down.. for the pilot/co-pilot to say how far away from the ground you are..

example:

Alpha Black 2: Littlebird 20 feet

Alpha Black 2: 15 feet

Alpha Black 2: 10 feet

Alpha Black 2: 5 feet

Alpha Black 2: Littlebirds on deck

or use the metric system that ofp uses.. just a cool feature it would be.. but i really dont see how it would be a "HELPFULL" feature.. just seemed worth posting while on the subject.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Quote  

have you ever seen someone doing a fast rope from a little bird?

Yes.

Me too!  biggrin_o.gif

MH-6fastropeLCU.jpg

Nightstalkers DO work with Navy SEALS.

Merc

@Gatordev

Lol...Don't forget that you're a minority, still using imperial measurements  wink_o.gif

The rest of the world have seen the light and switched to metric  tounge_o.gif

@ag Smith:

Thanks, I was too lazy to go there and compute it.

@Consigliere

But why would I possibly want to know how many hectares are in a square mililiter? biggrin_o.gif

I found a solution for the Fast rope placement:

Make in the model some hidden selections fo the rope and when the script from the fast rope the hidden selection shows up and you have a perfect placed rope ( on the points where it's needed )

Now I dont know if this works 100% but it works..

This mayby a bit off topic but BAS which project are you going to work on after you finished the Pavehawk and the Lil Birds rock.gif

Well done waffen, glad to see you're keeping up with the rest of us wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

@Uncle Sam, yup too offtopic

@Everyone concerned about sound, ok, we heard you the first time!!!

Well done waffen, glad to see you're keeping up with the rest of us wink_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

@Uncle Sam, yup too offtopic

Wait?

So my idea was bad again?

Sig....I need to come up with better idea's.

Well done waffen, glad to see you're keeping up with the rest of us wink_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Wait?

So my idea was bad again?

Sig....I need to come up with better idea's.

No, your idea was great, just that we thought of it back when the MH-60's were released (tho had no time to implement it)

It will however be the "standard" way of doing things on the updated (fastrope-capable) BAS helicopters.

See?! See?! crazy_o.gif

It's annoying isn't it? tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Now you know what it's like trying to communicate on TS