Sign in to follow this  
RED

Ecp released!

As i said, both players using older ecp versions and players not using ecp at all crashed during our tests. But not always all of them.

How about extending the future of the burning tank crew and make it a bit more realistic with screams of pain/panic and maybe an anim with them waving their hands in the air or something to simulate panic..?? As it is now it looks rather silly when they just run around like normal as if nothing have happened.. except they are engulfed in flames and about to turn into ashes..  Would it be OTT to do this? rock.gifsmile_o.gif

Is it possible to get the .cpp of that merged DR and INQ config?

I wish to add some of lupus's texture stuff to it

Quote[/b] ]Hehe have u ever fired an M203 in real life? The grenades won't explode unless they have been in the air for a period of time. Explosion simulation is a mod that I think most people will hate - it is a little too 'real'. In the next 'limited release' (due the day after tomorrow) explosion simulation will be turned OFF by default.
No. no. You misunderstand. I know that they're supposed to be fused. I mean that the grenades did not explode. At all. After firing off five of them, five of them would remain on the ground. I could walk up and examine them without fear of them exploding. I shot a guy with about five of them and all he did is bleed a bit. I found the grenades near his feet.

How far was he? What Snypir means by a time fuse, is different than that in a standard hand grenade. The 40mm has a contact detonator, but a timed "Safety" fuse. That is, if you fire it in the ground, it *should* just make a nice hole. It will not explode without outside intervention (or bad luck). The detonator itself is inactive untill the safety fuse has activated it. At this point, it still must contact something to detonate.

IIRC, it is designed to go "Hot" at ~10 meters.

How far was he? What Snypir means by a time fuse, is different than that in a standard hand grenade. The 40mm has a contact detonator, but a timed "Safety" fuse. That is, if you fire it in the ground, it *should* just make a nice hole. It will not explode without outside intervention (or bad luck). The detonator itself is inactive untill the safety fuse has activated it. At this point, it still must contact something to detonate.

Hmm. He was probably inside of 10m. The ones that I fired at a high angle went beyond that. That could certainly be the cause.

Quote[/b] ]Hehe have u ever fired an M203 in real life? The grenades won't explode unless they have been in the air for a period of time. Explosion simulation is a mod that I think most people will hate - it is a little too 'real'. In the next 'limited release' (due the day after tomorrow) explosion simulation will be turned OFF by default.
No. no. You misunderstand. I know that they're supposed to be fused. I mean that the grenades did not explode. At all. After firing off five of them, five of them would remain on the ground. I could walk up and examine them without fear of them exploding. I shot a guy with about five of them and all he did is bleed a bit. I found the grenades near his feet.

Wouldn't that technically turn it into a small landmine? Which is against the geneva convention?

I could be wrong, I just got up. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Wouldn't that technically turn it into a small landmine?

No, just another unexploded device to be cleared up afterward before it blows some kiddie's foot off mad_o.gif

I posted the config back there did you d/ld it?

The Lupus modification is to be added to ECP_effects.pbo and not the config of ECP you have to de-pbo ECP_Effects.pbo and add Lupus's work to the end of its config.cpp file wink_o.gif

I posted the config back there did you d/ld it?

The Lupus modification is to be added to ECP_effects.pbo and not the config of ECP you have to de-pbo ECP_Effects.pbo and add Lupus's work to the end of its config.cpp file  wink_o.gif

uups wow_o.gif forgot to include the config.cpp, just send the e-mail

but DON'T put the cpp into the bin folder or you might get the pistol bug!

quiet_man

Hmm, upon rereading my post, a clarification: When I said fire it in the ground, I mean if you, the firer, point the M203 straight down at your feet and fire. Not if it hits the ground 100m away. smile_o.gif I doubt anyone would be willing to test their luck in real life, and thus, not much worry about lots of unexploded 40mm grenades lying around after a battle. That job is already taken by bigger, nastier weapons.

The 40m grenade saftey fuse is indeed simulated. I think we'll have it set for too long, i'll make it a little shorter in the next release.

Unfortunately we will have to make explosion simulation turned off by default in the next release. This is because units that define their own eventhandlers (ie addon units) won't be effected by the ECP grenade system at all. This is a major problem.

To turn explosion simulation on you'll either have to use the dialog (which will be properly working in the next version) or edit ECP_Settings.sqs.

With regards to weather - all weather settings are defined in the ECP_Island_Settings.sqs file. Most things (including the time of weather change) can be set in there.

With the crashes - benu thanks for the testing. All players must have the same version of ECP, and all must have ECP in MP. I am sure those that had earlier versions would have received 'modified config.bin' messages.

I am on holiday for christmas and hence the next release has been delayed.

Hopefully it will be out today or tomorrow. We've concentrated on making explosions a little less CPU intensive, fixing the dialog and preparing for proper MP implementation (where certain settings will be passed from the server to clients at mission start).

Thanks for all the feedback!

I am on holiday for christmas and hence the next release has been delayed.

Thanks for all the feedback!

No, thanks for all the work on this project! smile_o.gif

Damn.. pitty the last release is crashing all my players to desktop.. and I have no way to get them to roll back to an older ECP :/

Was really holding out for the new release.. will have to somehow control players connecting and deny players connecting with ECP until this is released..

Quote[/b] ]Damn.. pitty the last release is crashing all my players to desktop.. and I have no way to get them to roll back to an older ECP :/

Is this because people are using different versions? The ECP states 'not recommended for use on internet servers' for just this reason ;)

We simply haven't had time to synchronise a number of important variables yet.

With regards to weather - all weather settings are defined in the ECP_Island_Settings.sqs file. Most things (including the time of weather change) can be set in there.

Can random weather be turned off by default too? I think it was off in 1043 and on before. Because in mp it is not so good when some guys have changing weather and others don't.

Quote[/b] ]With the crashes - benu thanks for the testing. All players must have the same version of ECP, and all must have ECP in MP. I am sure those that had earlier versions would have received 'modified config.bin' messages.

We wanted to make more tests, eg one guys using 1051 in various configuration states and the others using 1043 or no ecp at all to see if we can limit those crashes to certain parts of ecp. Are those tests helpful in any way anymore or do you have the problem singled out yet? Cause this problems never happened with older versions, we could mix ecp of any older version and non ecp players together without any problems. Eg some players used 1043, some used older versions and some used no ecp at all and we did not notice any problems in mp...

We've been using ECP 1.043 and haven't updated to the new version yet, but I have a recommendation regarding the smoke and explosions on destroyed vehicles. Right now the smoke lasts for a very long time, and I would recommend that it peter out after 2-3 mins or so. Most of the time a destroyed vehicle smokes for almost the entire mission it seems. Also, the post-destruction explosions seem to go on for quite a long time. Maybe those could be shortened a bit as well.

Otherwise, it works great!

What about new Post destruction sounds?

Those same old tank gun sounds make it sound like as if theres a tank battle happening instead of a explosion from a burnt vehicle it just isnt serving its purpose , i suggest adding nw sounds since you guys have a sound guru on your team too havent you wink_o.gif

Ok since this ECP mod/script is crashing all servers I'm playing on I would like to know how to use the DR sounds only?

There are some extra sound pbo's that I want aswell.

So how do I do to only have the sounds from ECP?

Why don't you install ECP with DR normally and disable everything in the ecp_settings.sqs?

Quote[/b] ]Damn.. pitty the last release is crashing all my players to desktop.. and I have no way to get them to roll back to an older ECP :/

Is this because people are using different versions? The ECP states 'not recommended for use on internet servers' for just this reason ;)

We simply haven't had time to synchronise a number of important variables yet.

Ok that is fair enough.

If you knew the absolute misery I have been through on behalf of ECP in the last few days you would understand my dismay.

The crashes have petered out as people stop connecting with ECP (We have to kick them) I do not think I dare return ECP to the server regardless of future versions, a shame, its like uninstalling Resistance and just playing OFP 1.0

I assumed that modified .bin files simply weren't allowed on internet servers. What is to stop me from modifying the damage my grenades do in my config.cpp file?

I thought that people would play with the ECP on ECP servers, otherwise they would simply not use it.

Quote[/b] ]If you knew the absolute misery I have been through on behalf of ECP in the last few days you would understand my dismay.

I won't be losing any sleep in the short term. biggrin_o.gif ECP is damn complicated in the SP environment, let alone trying to get it working correctly in MP. Getting it to work without problems in an environment where every client might have a different config is a total nightmare.

Saying that, version 1.053 (the fully MP compatible version when using all ECP computers) is undergoing final testing. Once we are happy with it we will release, and then try and work out the cause of this ctd issue when using non-ECP servers.

Bear with us plz!

*edit* I hope to have the issue fixed by the end of play to day.

Shows that I should RTFM crazy_o.gif I must have crashed at least a dozen servers last night crazy_o.gif

I assumed that modified .bin files simply weren't allowed on internet servers. What is to stop me from modifying the damage my grenades do in my config.cpp file?

This has never been true. Else all those "client-side mods" out there would not be possible at all ;)

Quote[/b] ]I thought that people would play with the ECP on ECP servers, otherwise they would simply not use it.

How could you control which addons/mods a client uses on a public server? That's why they are called client-side mods...

Quote[/b] ]I won't be losing any sleep in the short term. biggrin_o.gif ECP is damn complicated in the SP environment, let alone trying to get it working correctly in MP. Getting it to work without problems in an environment where every client might have a different config is a total nightmare.

Well, as it was running nicely up to version 1043, even without the server having it installed or with players that use different or no mods at all there seem to be only a few commands that cause havoc in multiplayer.

Quote[/b] ]Saying that, version 1.053 (the fully MP compatible version when using all ECP computers) is undergoing final testing. Once we are happy with it we will release, and then try and work out the cause of this ctd issue when using non-ECP servers.

I think you should let go of the "syncing" in this mod, because in mp it will never be used by all players on the server anyway. And people for whom cheating is an issue wouldn't allow modified configs on their server in the first place. I always saw this as a client-side mod, if you want to make it an "every server has to have it installed and then only players using ecp can play on that server" mod i guess that many servers will NOT install it at all. There are not many players left in the ofp community, and you don't want to "ban" 3/4 of them from your server because of ecp...

And as i think ecp is one of the best mods ever i really do hope you make it mp compatible by NOT restricting it to ecp servers and ecp users. I can use hisky and hitexture islands (i know, no config.bin) and dynamic range (config.bin) fine on any mp server before, even with other players that did not use those mods. I think it would be best if ecp was done the same.

Shows that I should RTFM  crazy_o.gif I must have crashed at least a dozen servers last night crazy_o.gif

lol....every time u were in our server the damn thing crashed biggrin_o.gif

Edit:Thats why although most of our squad are big fans of ECP , DR and GMR we dont allow them in the server to avoid these...situations tounge_o.gif