Sign in to follow this  
denoir

New internet speed record

Sweden is the ideal country for such projects: small population, relatively centralized society and high-tech industry. So it's much easier to hook up Sweden's 9 million than it is to hook up USA's 300 million.

I see. In big cities in the U.S. where population is dense, there are choices, and bandwisth limits are high, but in places like my town (12,000 population / 60 miles from the nerests big city), my only choice was dialup up until about 1 month ago.

I see. In big cities in the U.S. where population is dense, there are choices, and bandwisth limits are high, but in places like my town (12,000 population / 60 miles from the nerests big city), my only choice was dialup up until about 1 month ago.

actually, Los Angeles county is not. Verizon practically has a monopoly hold on ADSL market here. so i end up paying 35 USD per month for 512kb connection. mad_o.gif

however, in Orange county, they have SBC and some others.

You sweedish boys and your subsidized internet. mad_o.gif  I pay $40/month (US) for 384/128 Cable in my small town. sad_o.gif

Oh boo-hoo! I pay $AUD 70.00 ($US 50.00)/month for cable and some other stoof that he was whining about.

Well that's what you get for living on the up-side-down part of the planet. Silly southern hemisphere people. Always complaining when things aren't right. What, complaining about your toilet flushing the wrong way wasn't enough??

wink_o.giftounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Anyways, I get unlimited cable access for about $40 a month, but there have been times when service has been so erratic that I very nearly went back to dialup. And since I was the first in the neighborhood to get cable, I've had some teething problems with the line. Everything seems to have worked for the past four months or so, however.

It's not subsidized actually. It's just murderous free competition. We have really a shitload of ISPs.

One question though. Who owns all of the fiber in the ground in sweden, and what keeps that owner from monopolizing the market and scrweing everyone? Here, huge mega-companies own most of the fiber (read RalphWiggum's post about LA county) and they keep prices high and service low because they can.

Denoir also I wanted to know if most of the broadband isps in sweden only offer fiber optics, or do you guys also have cable and adsl? If so what speed? thx tounge_o.gif

So how do you explain tens of thousands of people here running at 100 Mbit, without slowdowns? (It's probablu actually hundreds of thousands - 10 Mbit is standard now, but many people have more).

Simple. Lots and lots and lots of fiber smile_o.gif

so more fiber makes things "FLOW" better...

*cough*

pun intended. :P

It's not subsidized actually. It's just murderous free competition. We have really a shitload of ISPs.

One question though. Who owns all of the fiber in the ground in sweden, and what keeps that owner from monopolizing the market and scrweing everyone? Here, huge mega-companies own most of the fiber (read RalphWiggum's post about LA county) and they keep prices high and service low because they can.

There are three or four major corporations that own the fiber. They then rent it to a plethora of ISPs. But it's not just fiber. Many use ADSL - which you can get up to 21 Mbit, full duplex. We have a farily good telephone net that was digitalized years ago, and the wires are of good quality.

ale2999:

Quote[/b] ]Denoir also I wanted to know if most of the broadband isps in sweden only offer fiber optics, or do you guys also have cable and adsl? If so what speed? thx

ADSL is common, cable has been phased out. There are still some poor bastards whose buildings are connected to cable - they made 5 year deals - but it's rare. You can get ADSL in speeds from 512 kbs to 21 Mbit. You can get at least 2 Mbit anywhere in Sweden, no matter how remote the place is. You can get the 21 MBit ADSL (they call it XDSL) only in bigger cities as it requires a short distance to the nearest digital ADSL base station.

i dont care all i care about is my adsl being installed in 69 days 13 hours 14 minutes and 23 seconds woohooo waited years for this always wanted to be able to send two emails at the same time i cannae wait biggrin_o.gif

You sweedish boys and your subsidized internet. mad_o.gif  I pay $40/month (US) for 384/128 Cable in my small town. sad_o.gif

Oh boo-hoo! I pay $AUD 70.00 ($US 50.00)/month for cable that is:

a.) Down at least 2-3 times per month, sometimes for up to a full day or more

b.) Capped at 3GB and excess charged at $AUD 0.13 ($US 0.09) per MB over the limit - doesn't sound like a lot, but is sure as **** adds up

c.) Half the time requires a good 5 attempts or more to successfully connect

d.) At the moment their mail server is down, so I haven't received my email in over 3 days

e.) Has a help desk that routinely requires 45 minutes of holding on the phone to speak to someone

f.) VERY rarely reaches it's full MBPS potential

g.) Has an online usage meter that isd ALWAYS out of service towards the end of the month (billing period) so that unless you keep meticulous records, you have only a rough idea of how close you are to your limit

The thing that really steams me is when I signed up it was only like $AUD 40.00 a month and had no cap on download limit, other than a "reasonable usage" clause. Within about 2 months of my signup, they jacked the price to $AUD 60.00 a month, then not another month after that, brought in a 3GB download limit. Oh sure, you can upgrade to a plan that allows 6GB, but is MORE than double the price.  sad_o.gif

As you may have guesed, I pretty much hate my ISP, but have no viable broadband alternative.

[edit]Just took a look at a recent bill, I actually now pay almost $AUD 90.00 ($US 64.00) for this shitty cable service. They must have jacked up the prices again recently[/edit]

mmm...that sounds exactly like my despicable ISP, Major ,only in my case they lowered the limit to 2GB mad_o.gif

Suddendly Sweden seems like a really nice place to live in smile_o.gif

<-- 1.0 Gbps

Ahh, how sweet it is biggrin_o.gif

I can't even imagine 5 Gbps though... that's just crazy.

Germany, Britain and Greece should be ashamed of themselves. crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gif

I'm moving to Sweden mad_o.gif

<-- 1.0 Gbps

Ahh, how sweet it is  biggrin_o.gif

How much do you pay for that, where do you live, whats the isp, whats the website, what is the connection called rock.gif???

Using current technology, a DVD -- or digital video disc -- film of some 90 minutes length takes some 15 minutes to download from the Internet.

DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc not Digital Video Disc.

Btw denoir, how much uplaod speed do u get on those lines?

It's full duplex 100 Mbit up, 100 Mbit down. My record is 15 Mbyte/s in both directions. It's a little above the max capacity, but I suppose it's due to some form of hardware data compression.

I'm happy with it and don't need faster rigth now. For example a public domain movie of say 800 Mb takes less than two minutes to download. A free non-commercial mp3 album of say 100 Mb is done within 10 seconds. This of of course just against other 100 Mbit connections. The most common here is 10 Mbit so when using p2p software, most of the time I use 10% or less of my bandwith - unless I'm downloading several things at the same time.

The big advantage is that it's very convenient to run servers. I have a web server, ftp server, ssh + a ADO.NET source control database server running.

The limitation is not the network but, my poor 1.4 Ghz CPU.

Actually, DVD does not officially stand for anything, as the DVD Forum in 1999 decided its just three letters, nothing else. wink_o.gif

Actually, DVD does not officially stand for anything, as the DVD Forum in 1999 decided its just three letters, nothing else. wink_o.gif

So why on the back on some of my DVDs it says "Digital Versatile Disc" non of them say otherwise. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm wink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gif

<-- 1.0 Gbps

Ahh, how sweet it is  biggrin_o.gif

How much do you pay for that, where do you live, whats the isp, whats the website, what is the connection called rock.gif???

How much do you pay for that Free, unless you count military service as payment

where do you live West Point, NY (USA)

whats the isp US Army

whats the website www.usma.edu

what is the connection called i dont know, but it's insanely fast

So why on the back on some of my DVDs it says "Digital Versatile Disc" non of them say otherwise. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm  wink_o.gif  wink_o.gif  wink_o.gif  wink_o.gif

While I would hate to argue the pedantics of IT terminology with someone as knowledgable as Keg, my lecturers told us the it was originally Digital Video Disc when first developed for movies, and then was (un)officially changed to Digital Versatile Disc once the media began being used for PC data and other uses besides just movies.

But anyway, all of this is irrelevant to the topic at hand...

where do you live                      West Point, NY (USA)

Cool. My Dad grew up in and I have relatives in Highland Falls.

Nah the two different names were due to the two different formats from the 2 big companies that simultaneously developed DVD (that used to not be compatible with each other)

I think Kegetys is right

thx denoir for answering. I live in canada and work for my isp. well the situation althought being far better than the US, UK, greece (ex ronin  tounge_o.gif ) it still suks! Consumer adsl (the most popular one) is 1.5 megs down 512 Kbps up and it costs 35 bucks a month. the maximum that you can get here is 4.0 down and 1 meg up and that plan is dedicated for businesses which means it cost alot (something around 400 dollars a month cant remember exact figure) . Our dslam and modems can go up to 8 megs down, but the isp isnt letting go all that bandwidth, as my isp owns the whole network and they have no competition beside a cable company (who kinda suks more than my isp company) so they have no real reason to be faster sad_o.gif. Now this crazy ceo decided that they want to provide tv as well, but u can get only 2 tvs working because there is not enough bandwitdth. Why is my isp so dumb from not getting xdsl already?

In vancouver there is fiber optics, but they have a 6 gig down 1 up limit of traffic which is ridiculous